Page 1 of 33
... LastLast

Texas governor signs new immigration law allowing state to arrest migrants

Republican Gov. Greg Abbott of Texas on Monday signed one of the harshest state immigration laws in modern U.S. history, authorizing state officials to arrest and seek the deportation of migrants suspected of crossing the border with Mexico illegally.

It's somewhat performative art, but once again Biden is getting out-flanked on immigration.

Under the new law, Texas state police will be able to arrest anyone suspected of crossing the border illegally and local judges will be authorised to order them to leave the country.

Critics have cast the law as the most extreme attempt by state authorities to regulate immigration since a 2010 Arizona law that was largely struck down by the US Supreme Court.

So the first is he is unquestionably violating federal law or reach in that the Federal government has authority on migrants. In link above it better describes that this was already shot down when Arizona attempted this 2010. Other link says 2012.

Now the juicy and of course, racist, xenophobic and fascist part. This will give Texas authorities to pull over and I guess interrogate and arrest anyone they suspect of being a migrant. Wild guess here but I'm sure they won't be trying to find any white Europeans who came here illegally from Poland.

Now where we at maybe the courts let this fascism pass. Idk.

I do want to see if they choose to arrest then they have to detain or jail these people thus costing a Bleep Ton of tax dollars. One article I guess some magistrate will handle this so idk if this will clog up their courts or these magistrates just really don't give these migrants due justice.

Here is where Biden getting outflanked that if any Federal dollar goes to this, then immediately funds should be withdrawn. This is getting nasty and I don't mind help at the border but these people are shitting on these migrants and I'm keeping it always political that you cannot lose this political fight.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
    Republican Gov. Greg Abbott of Texas on Monday signed one of the harshest state immigration laws in modern U.S. history, authorizing state officials to arrest and seek the deportation of migrants suspected of crossing the border with Mexico illegally.

It's somewhat performative art, but once again Biden is getting out-flanked on immigration.

Under the new law, Texas state police will be able to arrest anyone suspected of crossing the border illegally and local judges will be authorised to order them to leave the country.

Critics have cast the law as the most extreme attempt by state authorities to regulate immigration since a 2010 Arizona law that was largely struck down by the US Supreme Court.

So the first is he is unquestionably violating federal law or reach in that the Federal government has authority on migrants. In link above it better describes that this was already shot down when Arizona attempted this 2010. Other link says 2012.

Now the juicy and of course, racist, xenophobic and fascist part. This will give Texas authorities to pull over and I guess interrogate and arrest anyone they suspect of being a migrant. Wild guess here but I'm sure they won't be trying to find any white Europeans who came here illegally from Poland.

Now where we at maybe the courts let this fascism pass. Idk.

I do want to see if they choose to arrest then they have to detain or jail these people thus costing a Bleep Ton of tax dollars. One article I guess some magistrate will handle this so idk if this will clog up their courts or these magistrates just really don't give these migrants due justice.

Here is where Biden getting outflanked that if any Federal dollar goes to this, then immediately funds should be withdrawn. This is getting nasty and I don't mind help at the border but these people are shitting on these migrants and I'm keeping it always political that you cannot lose this political fight.
    Wasting a fuck ton of tax dollars losing perforative cases in court is the Texas republican way.

It's sad that a state has to try to pass laws to do what the Federal government refuses to do.
    we need more love in our hearts

Quote Originally Posted by BlackDruid96 View Post
    It's sad that a state has to try to pass laws to do what the Federal government refuses to do.
    If you had love in your heart you would be letting the stranger stay in your home and not whining about the "illegals".

I guess you'll need to change your sig to something else.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
    Yeah, I seem to remember seeing something about that before...ah, found it.

It's because the Federal law supersedes the state laws
    I guess that ends that discussion. Like you both said, what Texas is doing is objectively illegal.

The DOJ needs to grow some balls and indict Abbott for human trafficking and misappropriation of funds.

I'm so tired of Democrats coddling Republicans.

That’s kind of why this stuff gets passed — to point out that it’s the federal governments job to do and they aren’t doing it. There’s no other point to it.

The legislative messaging angle is frankly inferior to simply offering buses and plane flights to illegal immigrants that don’t want to stay in the border state they crossed into. Nothing really exposes the double speak on “compassion towards migrants” than when it’s no longer small border towns dealing with it, but mayors of sanctuary cities. Guys like Eric Adams and Brandon Johnson get a whole lot less “nation of immigrants” (rhetoric) when the problems with it are closer to home. Eric Adams sounds downright right-wing on immigration, and Chicago’s mayor literally said “seeds of chaos” on immigration.

This is all just pressure on Biden to compromise and sign legislation that fixes defects in border security and asylum claims. I’m guessing that Texas will not be particularly effective on this angle.
    "I wish it need not have happened in my time." "So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Quote Originally Posted by tehdang View Post
    This is all just pressure on Biden to compromise and sign legislation that fixes defects in border security and asylum claims.
    What legislation? Your party controls the House, point me to a single fucking bill they've actually passed that he could sign. Shit, point me to a single bill they've actually written and advanced instead of just crying about bullshit like "fully open borders" that plays well to their voters but has no actual basis in reality (or trying to impeach the president for ridiculous reasons like "he loaned his family money while he was out of office and they paid him back" or "his non-politician son may or may not have done something wrong").

If the Republicans actually cared about solving the border issue (and were wiling to actually do their goddamn jobs and work with the Democrats on it), it would be solved. But it's much more useful (and much easier) to scream "open borders" and "migrant invasions" at the media and weaponize the issue against their opponents than it is to actually do anything meaningful to solve it.
    Last edited by DarkTZeratul; 2024-01-04 at 09:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    What legislation? Your party controls the House, point me to a single fucking bill they've actually passed that he could sign. Shit, point me to a single bill they've actually written and advanced instead of just crying about bullshit like "fully open borders" that plays well to their voters but has no actual basis in reality (or trying to impeach the president for ridiculous reasons like "he loaned his family money while he was out of office and they paid him back" or "his non-politician son may or may not have done something wrong").
    We'll ignore that Republicans have had multiple opportunities, going alone or working with Democrats on a bipartisan basis, to address this issue they continually say is one of the most pressing issues. The Gang of 8 etc.

But do you want a good example of why Republicans have never made any progress on this issue?

https://www.businessinsider.com/troy...l-biden-2024-1

"Let me tell you, I'm not willing to do too damn much right now to help a Democrat and to help Joe Biden's approval rating," Republican Rep. Troy Nehls of Texas told CNN this week. "I will not help the Democrats try to improve this man's dismal approval ratings. I'm not going to do it. Why would I?"

Nehls indicated he'd accept only a proposal similar to HR 2, a hardline immigration bill that got zero Democratic votes when it passed the House last year.

"Chuck Schumer has had HR 2 on his desk since July," Nehls said, referring to the Senate majority leader. "And he did nothing with it."

But it's not the first time Nehls has seemed to say the quiet part out loud.

The Texas Republican and ally of former President Donald Trump told USA Today in December that he wanted to give Trump "a little bit of ammo to fire back" by impeaching Biden.
    Because it's a fantastically effective political cudgel. Some Republicans do try at times, as we're seeing in the Senate with a bipartisan effort to respond to HR2, but largely Republicans have no incentive to actually come up with a solution.

Same thing as "Repeal and Replace". It was a fantastic tool for campaigning, but after 8 years of rhetoric when Republicans were finally in the position to deliver on their nearly decade-long promise it became clear that they had no plans to actually replace anything, and we were almost completely fucked as a nation were it not for John McCain being the lone Republican with a spine not willing to plunge our national health insurance and health care sectors into chaos because Republicans finally caught the mail truck and had no fucking clue what to do with it as they were being dragged behind it.

If the Republicans actually cared about solving the border issue (and were wiling to actually do their goddamn jobs and work with the Democrats on it), it would be solved. But it's much more useful (and much easier) to scream "open borders" and "migrant invasions" at the media and weaponize the issue against their opponents than it is to actually do anything meaningful to solve it.
    The legislation that Republicans like and that Democrats don't like, such as HR 2 of course. His concept of compromise is after all that Democrats stop being Democrats and just accept whatever the Republicans put out.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

Quote Originally Posted by tehdang View Post
    That’s kind of why this stuff gets passed — to point out that it’s the federal governments job to do and they aren’t doing it. There’s no other point to it.

The legislative messaging angle is frankly inferior to simply offering buses and plane flights to illegal immigrants that don’t want to stay in the border state they crossed into. Nothing really exposes the double speak on “compassion towards migrants” than when it’s no longer small border towns dealing with it, but mayors of sanctuary cities. Guys like Eric Adams and Brandon Johnson get a whole lot less “nation of immigrants” (rhetoric) when the problems with it are closer to home. Eric Adams sounds downright right-wing on immigration, and Chicago’s mayor literally said “seeds of chaos” on immigration.

This is all just pressure on Biden to compromise and sign legislation that fixes defects in border security and asylum claims. I’m guessing that Texas will not be particularly effective on this angle.
    Remember when in 2016 Republicans controlled both houses of Congress AND the Presidency and yet failed to do any kind of immigration reform, stricter immigration laws or build their stupid fucking wall?

Republican "concern" about immigration, illegal or otherwise is purely performative. It's an imaginary problem they can reliably pull out of their back pockets when they have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ELSE to run on to appeal to racists, bigots and idiots. THIS TIME, if you vote for them THIS TIME, they will SURELY do something! Surely.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    The legislation that Republicans like and that Democrats don't like, such as HR 2 of course. His concept of compromise is after all that Democrats stop being Democrats and just accept whatever the Republicans put out.
    Biden and the Senate could tomorrow, 100% give every single thing the GOP is asking for and the GOP wouldn't be able to whip together a majority vote in Congress to pass their own proposal.

I never quite understand Americans' hostility toward both legal and illegal immigrants. To me, immigration is America's superpower.

Foreign born people accounted for half of the growth in the U.S. labor force between 2010 and 2018.

Congressional Budget Office projected that immigration will account for about three-quarters of the overall increase in the size of the population in the next decade.

In fact, without immigration, we actually have net shrinking of the population.

Generally speaking, immigrants are far more likely to work than people who are born in the U.S. They have higher labor force participation rates.

Immigrants receive patents at twice the rate of the native-born population.

Look at the founders and CEOs of the biggest companies in the US. The doctors and nurses in your local hospitals. The professors at the best universities.

How about the engineers at your local building departments? I see mostly Middle Eastern engineers in building departments across California and Texas.

The people that build homes and toil in the agricultural fields across the nation. Both industries will ground to a halt without immigrants.

Without immigration, the US would now already be in the same situation as Japan and China. Both are facing serious labor force decline. Japan more so than China. Japan is in an advance stage of decline. While China is starting to decline. Without immigration, it is very hard to reverse the trend.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    I never quite understand Americans' hostility toward both legal and illegal immigrants. To me, immigration is America's superpower.

Foreign born people accounted for half of the growth in the U.S. labor force between 2010 and 2018.

Congressional Budget Office projected that immigration will account for about three-quarters of the overall increase in the size of the population in the next decade.

In fact, without immigration, we actually have net shrinking of the population.

Generally speaking, immigrants are far more likely to work than people who are born in the U.S. They have higher labor force participation rates.

Immigrants receive patents at twice the rate of the native-born population.

Look at the founders and CEOs of the biggest companies in the US. The doctors and nurses in your local hospitals. The professors at the best universities.

How about the engineers at your local building departments? I see mostly Middle Eastern engineers in building departments across California and Texas.

The people that build homes and toil in the agricultural fields across the nation. Both industries will ground to a halt without immigrants.

Without immigration, the US would now already be in the same situation as Japan and China. Both are facing serious labor force decline. Japan more so than China. Japan is in an advance stage of decline. While China is starting to decline. Without immigration, it is very hard to reverse the trend.
    In the words of Lyndon B. Johnson -- "If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."

Republicans have spent decades convincing the deplorables in fly over states that they're going to be replaced or destroyed by every minority bloc on the planet. They eat it up while being completely oblivious to the fact that everything you said it spot on. Immigrants built this country -- We've always been a nation of immigrants. But for the bigoted ignorant only pale skinned immigrants are welcome here.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

HR2 passed the house 8 months ago.

10+ Year Old Account
    Their hostility makes perfect sense when you remember that American culture encourages xenophobia as a release valve for tensions that would otherwise be directed at the upper class.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

I wonder how long it will take for this law to have racist cops arrest legally staying tourists...

Quote Originally Posted by Odinfrost View Post
    I wonder how long it will take for this law to have racist cops arrest legally staying tourists...
    Or legal citizens who are just the wrong shade of brown.

Quote Originally Posted by Odinfrost View Post
    U.S. citizens have been accidentally caught up in the Texas crackdown on migrants

ANGELA KOCHERGA, BYLINE: The Ayalas, like many El Paso families, routinely visit relatives just across the border in Mexico. Gerardo Ayala says one evening in October, after they cleared customs and immigration, they made their usual drive back to their house on the Texas side.

GERARDO AYALA: We were coming home, traveling any normal day with my family. It was four of us in a Chevy Cruze.

KOCHERGA: His wife, their 13-year-old daughter and her grandmother were in the car with him on a busy, well-lit road. Suddenly, two unmarked trucks seem to appear out of nowhere and boxed in his family's compact car.

AYALA: All of a sudden, this vehicle rams us from behind, pushes us into the other vehicle. The other vehicle puts his truck in reverse and actually reverses into us.

KOCHERGA: At first, Ayala says he thought it was a chain-reaction pileup on this busy roadway near the border. The car was damaged but running. Already shaken, it only got worse for the family. He says at least four men wearing street clothes and tactical vests quickly surrounded the car. They were pointing semi-automatic rifles at them. Alejandra Lopez is Ayala's wife.

ALEJANDRA LOPEZ: When they started coming out with their guns, the first thing I did was look back, you know, to my daughter and my mom. I mean, they were the first things that I thought about. I saw her little face scared. I had never seen her face so scared.

KOCHERGA: The Ayalas are U.S. citizens. They say there was no probable cause to pull them over and certainly none to ram their car and threaten them with guns. It's not clear how often these improper stops happen. The Texas Department of Public Safety has a complaint process but does not specifically track those involving Operation Lone Star. Human rights organizations say they will soon begin training Texans about their rights and how to file profiling and other complaints. The Ayalas' 13-year-old daughter, Isabella, says the experience has changed her view of law enforcement.

ISABELLA: It was kind of traumatizing. I don't feel safe anymore 'cause they don't do their job correctly, I'm guessing.

KOCHERGA: The Texas Department of Public Safety, or DPS, has special agents in plain clothes and unmarked vehicles working in the area to break up smuggling rings. Gerardo Ayala says a DPS supervisor that night told him the family car was similar to a vehicle they were tracking.

AYALA: They came in charging. I mean, they looked like furious bulls coming at us. As soon as I open that door and I told them this is just me and my family, their faces just changed drastically.

KOCHERGA: The family wants an apology, their car repaired and medical expenses covered that include X-rays at a hospital the night they were hit. Ayala says his 67-year-old mother-in-law has lingering back pain. A Texas DPS spokesperson only said that they're looking into the allegation. A new law is set to take effect in Texas that makes crossing the border illegally a state crime. Now more than 50 immigrant and civil rights organizations are raising concerns. They're worried more U.S. citizens of color living on the border will be profiled and improperly stopped like the Ayalas. Fernando Garcia directs the Border Network for Human Rights. He says the state crackdown is out of control.

FERNANDO GARCIA: They need to launch an investigation on the actual consequences of Operation Lone Star, on migrants dying, of U.S. residents being abused, on waste of money, of our taxpayers' dollars.

KOCHERGA: For their part, the Ayalas are considering hiring a lawyer. Gerardo Ayala says he wants those who targeted his family by mistake held accountable. After his experience, he's deeply worried about the new state law.

AYALA: How is this not going to affect us? It's going to affect every single individual here in the borderland, everyone.

KOCHERGA: Ayala says he needs DPS held responsible for the sake of his family and others in this border city, where more U.S. citizens could find themselves mistakenly caught up in a Texas law enforcement crackdown.

Wait, so TX law enforcement just rammed a private vehicle filled with US citizens and then bum-rushed the occupants with weapons drawn because...

They were brown?

I just want to make sure I'm understanding this correctly?

This seems like one of those instances for the "Second Amendment" types to "use their rights" against an increasingly "tyrannical" government to me, maybe.

Boy I hope there's no long simmering, unaddressed systemic problems with racism or abuse within law enforcement nationally.

10+ Year Old Account
    Racism and xenophobia.

You'll note nobody's raising hell over immigration from Norway or Ireland. It's brown people and non-Christians that get them riled up.

Is this stupid? Of course it is. Bigotry and those who express it are always idiots. But that's still the reason, moronic as it may be.

- - - Updated - - -

Shit like this is why qualified immunity is a fuckin' stupid idea that only serves to defend abuses.

Also, street clothes? If the Ayalas had been armed themselves, and they'd shot these fuckers, that's clear self-defense, right? Nobody would have claimed it was an unlawful shooting for them to kill these border officers, if they could, right? Not that I want the officers dead; I'm underscoring that not wearing a uniform should disallow most actions like this. Particularly since you just look like heavily-armed criminals assaulting innocent people when you do this shit. It's one thing if you're off-duty and the corner store you're in is being robbed at gunpoint, it's another to attack US citizens without any probable cause.

There's gonna be a case where someone gets hassled like this, and kills 2-3 plainclothes officers who didn't properly identify themselves, and claims self-defense at court, and wins. And then sues the fuck out of the PD and the estates of the officers he killed for millions. That's maybe the only way we're gonna get actual movement on this.