Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Returning to Diablo... 2 or 3?

Hey all, I haven't played D3 since probably season 9 or so, its been awhile. I've been getting the ARPG itch again. I usually play Grim Dawn, Titan Quest or Diablo3 to scratch that itch. This time, I'm looking to get back into Diablo.

Last time I played D2 was probably 2001?

To my question, since I'm looking to get back into the Diablo world, would you all recommend buying the D2 Resurrected? Or get back into D3?

Thanks

Can someone explain me what you exactly do on D2 Ladder? Is it just leveling as quick as possible to max level?

Topic: D2R

This season of D3 is really good, I'm loving the new mechanic and hope it stays. However, I swapped to D2R with the new ladder. If I wasn't such a huge fan of D2 I probably wouldn't have bothered with ladder. There's nothing really making it worth it to play ladder.

Quote Originally Posted by exsanguinate View Post
    Can someone explain me what you exactly do on D2 Ladder? Is it just leveling as quick as possible to max level?

Topic: D2R
    In original D2, people would create Ladder exclusive runewords in anticipation of Ladder resets, often with the sole purpose of trading in mind.

But with D2R, Ladder runewords will become available on non-Ladder when the Ladder reset happens, so unless you want to try the new runewords ahead of the Ladder reset (every 3 months IIRC), there's little reason to play Ladder except to rank on leveling.

I don't know it for a fact, but I read that the new runewords are already available for offline play, so if that's your stick, Ladder is literally pointless if you don't care about ranking.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZSolii View Post
    "yes, let's piss him off because he loves his long hair. Let us twirl our evil mustaches amidst the background music of honky-tonk pianos! GENIUS!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Culexus View Post
    Yes i hate those sneaky account thieves that come to my house and steal my computer in order to steal some wow money! Those bastards! *shakes fist*

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by select21 View Post
    Hey all, I haven't played D3 since probably season 9 or so, its been awhile. I've been getting the ARPG itch again. I usually play Grim Dawn, Titan Quest or Diablo3 to scratch that itch. This time, I'm looking to get back into Diablo.

To my question, since I'm looking to get back into the Diablo world, would you all recommend buying the D2 Resurrected? Or get back into D3?

Thanks
    unless you're feeling a particularly hard nostalgia boner coming on, there's literally no point playing D2R, the gameplay is the same as it was with a fresh coat of paint on it, and frankly the archaic mechanics and generally outdated systems really have shown that at the time it was amazing but doesn't work in the modern day, D3 on the other had has never been easier to pick up and jump into, and while some of the seasonal changes that have been made have been extremely mediocre, they are always different to the point where it has changed what builds people will play and how much time they will invest in that season, plus once you get a set worked out you can just mindlessly farm stuff at your own pace and not have to worry about anything.

as someone who just does everything for the season journey in D3 now, i don't bother with leaderboard standings after getting a top 10 rank for several seasons in a row, personally i have 'finished the game' as it were, but it's easy fun you can jump into whenever you want, i don't feel like the D2R version is the same after dropping it like a lead balloon once the hype train died.

d2r is a great nostalgic journey if you're into an old game. The amount you get out of it is up to you, youcan hit a wall if you're going in blind, (unlikely to happen in d3) but it can also be completed in a few days (minus ubers, which requires a bunch of grinding/trading to gear up for) if you play a meta spec (pala/sorc)

d3 is fun for a week or two every new season, (which is all it takes to level and get full ancient bis gear every season), alot more modern and easy to jump into, but not challenging untill everything oneshots you in grifts.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'd do D2R but only because it's arguably a better game.

Both games haven't changed much since you last played them TBH, and while D3 has had some changes barely anything carries over between seasons. D2 is old and archaic, but still feels like things actually matter. D3 itemization philosophy is and always has been really bad, which is a big turn off for me despite sinking thousands of hours into the game. The only thing that's really nice about D3 is that it's smooth, feels good and the combat portion of the game is visually very good. The item hunt however, and progression is D3 just feels bad (paragon levels, applying gem levels to gear and only hunting ancient items just feel bad). It's literally jump into endless rifts, which while varied isn't too much different than target farming whatever area you like in D2.

A small caveat is that you already own D3. What I would personally do is hold off on D2R until you see what the next patch cycle and ladder reset does. If they continue to support the game by adding runewords, balance changes or even new content then it would be no question a solid purchase in my eyes.

3 without question. It is lowkey one of Blizzard's best games and it is nearing the end of its lifespan. God knows what D4 will turn out to be, but once it's out D3 will be dead. I'd try to get into a couple of seasons while it's still possible.

Path of Exile

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm playing d2r ladder atm. I like the slower progress. Got rewarded with my 2nd griffon drop in years.

Was kinda stupid to have ladder and the new season release within a week though.

Edit: If you enjoyed D2, give d2r a try. It's A LOT slower than d3 though.

Quote Originally Posted by Antilurker77 View Post
    Path of Exile
    Ive tried to get into that game several times but have never been able to keep playing it. I like the systems in place but leveling is atrocious
    DRAGONFLIGHT BETA CLUB

Quote Originally Posted by select21 View Post

Thanks
    I feel like Diablo 3 has better class and class abilities. Diablo 2 has a better world that is pretty fun. Grim dawn is a great all-around ARPG.

Quote Originally Posted by Usernameforforums View Post
    Ive tried to get into that game several times but have never been able to keep playing it. I like the systems in place but leveling is atrocious
    I recently put about 30 hours into it and had the same reaction, I just couldn't get into it. The systems are cool, but the game play feels stale to me.

D2 is an endless grind without purpose, go with d3 mate.

10+ Year Old Account
    I maybe one or two D3 seasons a year. Love them. Whoever is managing D3 knows what people want out of seasons and have streamlined the process to into high GRs. In you like PoE you might not like it because D3s gameplay and loop is "shallow" compared to D3. D2 would be the better route.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

I went Lost Ark xD

D2r currently has more than 1.5 million characters on the ladder, get on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedlance View Post
    D2 is an endless grind without purpose, go with d3 mate.
    How exactly is it any different in D3? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Hctaz View Post
    How exactly is it any different in D3? LOL
    D3 = you can start playing 2 weeks after release of season and still hit rank 1 times on ladder.
    D2 = you can't start playing late because all that matters is how fast you hit 99 on that ladder.

D3 = constant flux in the competitive meta based on paragon level/itemvalue/class+spec/much luck with gr rng...
    D2 = you might be able to hit a spot on the leaderboard if you actually want to go for 99 but it doesn't matter because the merit is in having a 99 at all, so it's not competitive it's more about prestige and enjoyment.

D3 = zoomer game
    D2 = boomer game