Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    Ya they didn’t have any of those departments and they then harassed, passed over, and assaulted woman and minority’s under them for years leading to multiple multi million dollar law suits.

Really makes you think.
    Did they even hire women during Warcraft II phase?

I just want good games, idc about this diversity bullshit

Head of Culture is basically the new HR but they've rebranded it to make it sound nicer and more inclusive. It's not a bad thing because all of the bad things that took place in Blizzard are the things this person will deal with. As for the diversity and what not don't stress on it tbh because it's more about bringing a broader base of knowledge into the company. Men and Women do and see things differently and having a work environment that is comfortable for everyone will just improve the games overall. It's not a guarantee but working in a comfortable workplace will bring down stress and anxiety so these people can work better and more efficiently on our games.

I think people are hung up on words because Gen Z and Millennials are obsessed with rebranding and using new words for old things but my generation (Gen-X) did that also etc. so just chill. It's a rebranded HR and it will help make things better for the company assuming she's good at her job.

Ya they didn’t have any of those departments and they then harassed passed over and assaulted woman and minority’s under them for years leading to multiple multi million dollar law suits.

Really makes you think.
    It is completely beyond me how so many people in the gaming fandom fail to realize that the very reason diversity and culture departments are being introduced to these companies is precisely because so many of these studios operated exactly how these players "wish" they would. It turns out that the demographic of sweaty nerd game developers and generally shitty human beings has a pretty high incidence of overlap.

Head of Culture sounds like HR with more steps

Honestly curious what the daily schedule of someone in this role would even look like.

Quote Originally Posted by Radeghost View Post
    I remember the times where no game developer cared for "equal", and "diverse" workplace. I have also read about them recently in Staats' book about early days of World of Warcraft and Warcraft III development.

It was just sweaty nerds with lots of passion. There was no diversity departament, no culture departament, no queer departament, there were guys working their asses off and producing iconic games, like Warcraft II, Warcraft III, StarCraft, Call of Duty 2, Gothic, Neverwinter Nights...

Now, you have "diverse" and "equal" work environments, spewing vile stuff like Warcraft Rumble, Shadowlands, or any other Battlefield2042-esque soulless games.

Why can't we focus on quality again?
    This guy gets it. Why can’t we go back to the simpler times where sweaty nerds with issues sexually harassed women? What’s wrong with hiring your friends and environment and not giving chances to different ideas?
    I’m in my 30s and i want things that were appealing to the teenage me and the world that existed then!

Grunt
    7+ Year Old Account
    I'm sure this will make the game(s) good.

Disney is a slimy, exploitative company so I am sure she will fit right in.

Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    It is completely beyond me how so many people in the gaming fandom fail to realize that the very reason diversity and culture departments are being introduced to these companies is precisely because so many of these studios operated exactly how these players "wish" they would. It turns out that the demographic of sweaty nerd game developers and generally shitty human beings has a pretty high incidence of overlap.
    All I know is we had Warcraft 2, Warcraft 3 without diversity hires and culture heads or whatever. Valve had no diversity departament while developing Half-Life and Half-Lief 2. Neither did id Software. These games are classic and are highly regarded everywhere. Really makes you think.

Now enjoy your blue-haired developers and inclusivity crusade, where game itself is on the second plane.

Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    Honestly curious what the daily schedule of someone in this role would even look like.
    Stealthing around and wait until someone say something wrong, or uses bad words like indiana, escimo or using wrong pronouns.

Ah and take a look in job interviews so enough ethnic minority will be hired, even if their skils are worse then the one of the white male american boy.

Infracted.
    Last edited by xskarma; 2022-05-05 at 10:12 PM.

All I know is we had Warcraft 2, Warcraft 3 without diversity hires and culture heads or whatever. Valve had no diversity departament while developing Half-Life and Half-Lief 2. Neither did id Software. These games are classic and are highly regarded everywhere. Really makes you think.
    No, it doesn't.

Because most of us understand that correlation does not equal causation.

Now enjoy your blue-haired developers and inclusivity crusade, where game itself is on the second plane.
    So I wasn't off the mark then about your real issue here.

God forbid society improves itself!

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Did they even hire women during Warcraft II phase?

I just want good games, idc about this diversity bullshit
    Yes the dreaded woman worked at blizzard even back then.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by VMSmith View Post
    No, it doesn't.

Because most of us understand that correlation does not equal causation.
    What makes you think this correlation =/= causation?

What makes you think this correlation =/= causation?
    Pst. Because sucky games still came out back then. Your idea of nitpicking a few big hits doesn't prove a point when stuff like E.T still came out in the past.

Yes the dreaded woman worked at blizzard even back then.
    Your words, not mine, was a genuine question. Yet somehow I don't recall reading about "diversity departaments" and stuff like that in the gaming magazines I've read 20 years ago. I think it was all about games, not about what company does to satisfy Twitter mob.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    That's because they don't care if people are miss treated and they don't have the foresight to see that driving people out of the gaming industry by being garbage humans hurts long game deployment long term.

- - - Updated - - -

Your words, not mine, was a genuine question. Yet somehow I don't recall reading about "diversity departaments" and stuff like that in the gaming magazines I've read 20 years ago. I think it was all about games, not about what company does to satisfy Twitter mob.
    Exactly you didn't read about such departments and that's what leads to 20+ years of harassment pass overs assaults and billions of dollars of lawsuits across many of the biggest gaming company's.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Pst. Because sucky games still came out back then. Your idea of nitpicking a few big hits doesn't prove a point when stuff like E.T still came out in the past.
    That just proves it's nothing for the player in diversity hiring. Maybe for investors, because Twitter mob goes easier on their investment, not for the players.

I'm just here for the armchair CEOs to angerly scream on how *checks notes* women are destroying their vidya games

That's because they don't care if people are miss treated and they don't have the foresight to see that driving people out of the gaming industry by being garbage humans hurts long game deployment long term.

- - - Updated - - -

Exactly you didn't read about such departments and that's what leads to 20+ years of harassment pass overs assaults and billions of dollars of lawsuits across many of the biggest gaming company's.
    So if you don't like being in a company... leave it? Like... write a resignation letter? Not everything is for everyone.