Page 1 of 14
... LastLast

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

I guess the main thread for this got deleted or I’m bad at searching.

I had a lot of hope for a more classical episodic Trek with SNW, and although it is too soon to tell if that is how it would be, the pilot sure felt right. Mount and Peck were the best parts of discovery S2, so naturally it was good to revisit them. Rest of the crew seems interesting and I hope we get to know them as the series progresses. Aesthetic was good. Preachy and unsubtle social commentary? Works for me and fit into the episode naturally and logically.

I will admit Picard S2 started strong and fizzled away. Hopefully this one keeps whatever momentum it seems to have with only one episode.

I felt the first episode was strong in Strange New Worlds. Don't get it twisted I don't think it was one of the best episodes of Star Trek ever. Or one of the best TV shows in history or anything.

I mean even Picard s2 could have been solid if the story it was told was in like 3 to 5 episodes. Discovery was about the same. If the story it had for a full season was 3 to 5 episodes it probably would have been really good too. But the writers don't seem to really have the staying power of 10.. 12+ episode arcs. But SNWs was a nice tightly told story that had a start, middle, and finish and weather it was good or bad doesn't sink the next episode because its mostly going to be its own thing going forward too.

Just feels like how Star Trek is best told. Episodic. It doesn't mean you can't have a season long arc that gets sprinkled in from time to time but over all.. just episodes that stand on their own.

this was a bit on the nose, hugely preachy and smug. Picard was boring because they were afraid to kill him in s1 and went down the franchise route, discovery is what happens when commercial viability takes the place of artistic integrity and i think this will be very much the same. They are riffing on a very safe and very boring theme. Lower decks is probably the only one thats been vaguely decent. I'll probably hate watch this.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    this was a bit on the nose, hugely preachy and smug. Picard was boring because they were afraid to kill him in s1 and went down the franchise route, discovery is what happens when commercial viability takes the place of artistic integrity and i think this will be very much the same. They are riffing on a very safe and very boring theme. Lower decks is probably the only one thats been vaguely decent. I'll probably hate watch this.
    Well I can't even bring myself to watch the others beyond a few episodes - Discovery is bad but Picard was basically insultingly stupid - but SNW was at least bearable. Though I agree that the second half with the speech and stuff did get worse.

Sets were good and Anson Hound is gorgeous, though!

Star Trek is dead folks, and it's never coming back. Move on and find new things to like. Star Trek wasn't a name in an accounting checkbook collecting dust on a corporate executive's shelf or a name stamped onto whatever new hollywood project is coming out these days. Star Trek was the creation of a group of people who are long since gone. This is nothing more than yet another corporate skinsuit trying to milk your nostalgia.

I honestly don't know is i found this to be okish for the most part because of how utter shit Discovery/Picard/Lower Deck are. The Star Trek bar is so low now that if it does not make you sick it looks fine. Will give it the old three episode test to see if it keeps me entertained. Spock seems a bit shit tho.

10+ Year Old Account
    Good starting episode. I’m enjoying, so far, the return to episodic format. I’ve enjoyed Discovery and Picard, but the long story arcs can make it harder to re-watch down the road.

I like how there was so many women on the bridge, that is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadite View Post
    I honestly don't know is i found this to be okish for the most part because of how utter shit Discovery/Picard/Lower Deck are. The Star Trek bar is so low now that if it does not make you sick it looks fine. Will give it the old three episode test to see if it keeps me entertained. Spock seems a bit shit tho.
    Yes, Star Trek is so absolute shit right now that there are only five series going at the moment. Clearly, it's so absolutely hated and reviled that they can only make five shows at the same time because there's so little demand for this shitty product. Discovery was so utterly awful that they were only able to greenlight four more shows off of it's lack of success.

I'm sure Kurtzmann is being fired tomorrow, for real this time. And he's taking Kathleen Kennedy down with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss
    Star Trek is dead folks, and it's never coming back.
    Exactly. How can a franchise survive with only five ongoing shows at the same time? It's deader than WoW and the entire MMORPG genre, which consists of only a few titles now, maybe 50-100?
    Last edited by VMSmith; 2022-05-07 at 07:27 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I didnt mind it too much, but I also didnt find it a great 1st ep.
    Content wise it just was abit weak, but what was there was ok.

The format seems fine, st to me should be just like this, full standalone episodes; with only a slight overacring trend in the seasons. And not like episodic 1-x slowly building up to whatever HUGE THING with filler episodes mixed in. Rather you have each episode (or 2/3part episode) as its own thing with a beginning mid climax and final ; and you can more or less pick any number of episode to jump in and it just wouldnt matter.

The acting felt way better (than what we have been served in discovery/picard) but dialogue could be alot better still (even if it has to be 25% different).

Biggest gripe for me is the spock of the show, it just doesnt come close to hold up to nimoys portrayal of spock.
    Comparing to like the first few episodes of tos, Its like their playing someone entierly different; idk doesnt mesh well with me.
    Feels like you could pick up any fan and it would be a better spock.
    Last edited by Ettan; 2022-05-07 at 08:07 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Averting WW3 on a distant planet with fake footage and a speech that can be turned against itself (you had your world war 3, survived and now you are this great federation of planets? hmmm *bombs away*)

Also 5 women on the bridge in key positions. If Pike and Spock were new characters - they would've been as well. It's 2022, we don't need to pander to "women doing manly shit". Even TNG didn't have that. We have Uhura and Number One, fine you can have your Soong girl as well, but helmsMEN too, both of them? Discovery influence no doubt.
    Last edited by Elim Garak; 2022-05-08 at 04:32 AM.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Also 5 women on the bridge in key positions. If Pike and Spoke were new characters - they would've been as well. It's 2022, we don't need to pander to "women doing manly shit". Even TNG didn't have that. We have Uhura and Number One, fine you can have your Soong girl as well, but helmsMEN too, both of them? Discovery influence no doubt.
    IKR? What's the world coming to when our entertainment doesn't have men in charge? And look at TOS, it was perfectly balanced with 1 woman and 6 men as main characters. These new Star Trek shows are clearly showing a gender bias that has never existed in the franchise until today's woke shit, amiright? Like you said, TNG for most of it's run had 2 women and 5 men as main characters, very balanced gender-wise, as it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by VMSmith View Post
    Yes, Star Trek is so absolute shit right now that there are only five series going at the moment. Clearly, it's so absolutely hated and reviled that they can only make five shows at the same time because there's so little demand for this shitty product. Discovery was so utterly awful that they were only able to greenlight four more shows off of it's lack of success.
    What is the fifth shit Star Trek show? I know the three garbage shows i mentioned and New Worlds seems ok so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadite View Post
    What is the fifth shit Star Trek show? I know the three garbage shows i mentioned and New Worlds seems ok so far.
    Well, they all suck so hard it's no wonder you can't keep up with all the Star Trek that's on TV. Absolutely no one enjoys them, that's why they keep making so many of them. You are clearly supposed to be the audience for all Trek but CBS just can't seem to appeal to only your tastes. It's boggling that they can't get it right with so few shows.

For the record, there's woke Discovery, shit Picard, stupid-ass Lower Decks, kiddie-fare Prodigy, and now Trump-hating Strange New Worlds.if any of them were any good they'd make more, but five is all they can manage. Dead franchise.

Knight of the Astral Star Local Ardenweald Faerie's Avatar
    1+ Year Old Account
    Well, they all suck so hard it's no wonder you can't keep up with all the Star Trek that's on TV. Absolutely no one enjoys them, that's why they keep making so many of them. You are clearly supposed to be the audience for all Trek but CBS just can't seem to appeal to only your tastes. It's boggling that they can't get it right with so few shows.

For the record, there's woke Discovery, shit Picard, stupid-ass Lower Decks, kiddie-fare Prodigy, and now Trump-hating Strange New Worlds.if any of them were any good they'd make more, but five is all they can manage. Dead franchise.
    It honestly took me a moment before realizing that this post is satire. Well played.

On topic: SNW's premier was awesome.

Trump-hating Strange New Worlds
    I would be fascinated to know which Star Trek show would be pro-Trump. Besides episodes 18 and 19 of Enterprise Season 4 I mean.

And that's the moment we ask the all mighty question again

Do we include The Orville in Trek family?

I'm happy to see a return to episodic tackling of problems, exploring societal questions through a lens of aliens, science-fiction and techno-babble.

I'm not a huge fan of shows that go backwards on the Star Trek timeline, but I liked this first episode.

I'm sure Kurtzmann is being fired tomorrow, for real this time. And he's taking Kathleen Kennedy down with him.

Exactly. How can a franchise survive with only five ongoing shows at the same time? It's deader than WoW and the entire MMORPG genre, which consists of only a few titles now, maybe 50-100?
    Exactly. Only quality shows are successful. Which is why Jackass only made it one episode and Firefly had 900 episodes

I was thinking about watching it but then my wife told me about how they had some clip from the Jan 6th thing and just felt like instead of watching a science fiction show in the future I would be watching a drama pandering to 2022 narratives. That is poor writing in my books and I tried to watch Discovery and it was almost laughable so never continued.

I think my main problem with it is science fiction almost always shows how we've moved past the bad times and they use episodic ways to showcase our bad history as a metaphor and how we shouldn't repeat it again or how we moved past it to a better, utopian future. Nowadays though people are so wrapped up in their self obsession via social media and what those around them are talking about that we live in a time where literally 99% of the science fiction is dystopian, perfect looking characters, pandering social dynamics from 2020-2022 instead of showcasing a different future so how is it science fiction if we're catering/pandering to a current mindset. It's poor writing, childish writing and is foundational weak and it's why older sci-fi (given the time frames they were in) is far superior because they at least had the imagination and forethought for a better future... a better existence.

Then found out that they have actually written current time frames into the Star Trek wikiverse with "The Second Civil War" which revolves around current times and it leads into World War 3 or the Eugenics Wars so in an effort to pander/cater to these people they have retconned Star Trek fiction to push themselves and their thoughts/opinions over it. I'd read that Pike makes a direct reference to the Jan 6th riots/insurrection/whateveryouwannacallit and just sitting there thinking...

World War I... World War II... Viet Nam War... Numerous military actions around the world in multiple countries... and the Eugenics War as canon for Star Trek... but Jan 6th is the reference made? The purpose of science fiction is to show a vision of the future filled with imagination with a basis on reality to connect the two and if that one day is considering one of the 'scarier moments in world history' for the Federation ... truly an embarrassing concept to bring up considering the rest of the human history leading up to the formation of the Federation of Planets.