Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ...
7
8
9
  1. #161
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloudmaker View Post
    I only join Discord servers where my friends are present. I no longer join Discord servers or make calls with strangers. There has been far too much abuse for me to continue. Fortunately, the Discord platform recently changed the rules, and it is now possible to report misbehaving users. Except for the three final bosses, I believe there is no need for discord in heroic raids. It’s much safer to do it with guild.
    and now you're a jannie on wow forums. that's ironic, lol.

    its just voice comms tho, if you dont like it, just leave the server. you cant be abused over discord, get a grip on reality.

  2. #162
    Quote Originally Posted by Evolixe View Post
    There are other reasons not to join strange discords that don't include unwillingness to talk to people or social anxiety. The internet is a strange place and you don't know who you can and cannot trust. Joining random discords is, at least to a degree, a digital security risk. A lot of information about you can be derived from a discord account and most people can't be bothered to create throwaway accounts and/or use VPNs and such just for the purpose of playing with random people.

    The level of risk does in part also depend on who you are and what you do, but you can't dismiss it as an illegitimate concern.
    social anxiety is something that a person should try and deal with / fix

    sitting in a discord without having to talk is a good way to help a person deal with this

    unless you are a tank or leading the raid you wont have to talk

    discord accounts are free make a second one if your problems are that extreme
    10 reports = instant ban without GM review (people need to be in different guilds or you will need more reports)
    you can organize a 11th person in your discord to provoke the person you want banned then report for literary no real reason... anything that can be considered "toxic" is a valid reason for the ban to stay on the account and will not be removed
    https://youtu.be/OcSiCgFDYhY

  3. #163
    The Lightbringer chrisisvacant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Formerly SF. Now Sydney.
    Posts
    3,162
    It's a little precious to not join a discord because you're scared you're going to be "creeped on." Some of y'all really need therapy.

    You're in a raid. Not a group quest. You chose to involve yourself in an event that requires more interaction with others. Suck it up or start your own antisocial raid.

  4. #164
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashana Darkmoon View Post
    It makes perfect sense but I wouldn't be caught dead joining a strange Discord. Not sure how people do it, honestly!

    How is it strange? I think you're being very paranoid.

  5. #165
    I personally haven't experienced much trouble from Discord except one time there was a very convincing scam from the death knight discord where they were pretending you could be a moderator or something, one of the most legitimate looking things I've ever seen.

    I do think that the security concerns from Discord are quite low as you can leave the server the moment the raid ends and I just don't feel discord has all that much personal info. If someone is hellbent on stalking some random player maybe they could, but I don't see that as being any different from purchasing something with a credit card online.

    I will agree that lots of discords are stupid and annoying. I personally underestimated that because I'm generally all work no play in mine but I also pug a lot and yah people are frequently saying stupid shtuff.

    But one fundamental disagreement I have with several of the posters here is the idea that discord provides no value because heroic-level raids are just so easy and I strongly disagree with that. The idea that instant communication can't help out with jams and errors is, in my opinion, demonstrably untrue. And back in vanilla I used to type out all instructions and could do so really fast...but it's just that not effective because there's already SO MUCH info on the screen that adding more visual information is just the worst way to do it. It's like the brain can focus on a couple things visually (character feet, procs, dbm timers, WAs) and a couple things audioally (boss emotes, DBM sounds, voice chat).

    I think there's also a part of the brain that is specifically wired to people hearing their name called which grabs their attention in ways text never will. Probably because our moms didn't "yell" at us by text when we were lovable little kiddos.
    17 hazed on the Golemagg "cinematic": https://i.imgur.com/nlZM3cj.jpg

  6. #166
    Quote Originally Posted by Daish View Post
    being social is important

    discord will help you do content the same way DBM helps you do content

    unless you are leading the raid there is no reason for you to talk
    there is no reason for you to even use the same in game character name in discord

    there are ignore functions in discord if you don't like somebodies voice or their mic is to loud or you can hear background sound. you can fix this without leaving the discord.

    blaming people you have never met before because of a past incident is bias that should be worked on not reinforced

    even if its old content and everyone knows the fight Discord will speed the run up and make it easier to assign who is doing what mechanic
    The bolded statements contradict each other. If being social is important, then that is a reason to talk. Telling people to "be social" and also tell them not to talk is just baffling.

  7. #167
    Some fights require Discord, some don't. If the fight requires it or is made easier by it (like the symbols on that bot thing in battle for dazar'alor), then yeah, ppl should participate. Otherwise, not really. Especially if you're group is overgearing stuff.

    But take into consideration I don't pug so my opinion may not be the best. Mostly it's about when my friends join my guild's run, I tell them they can come on Disc if they want or not come if they don't feel like it. But I trust my friends.
    Last edited by Loveliest; 2022-05-14 at 05:42 PM.

  8. #168
    Moderator Cloudmaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Celestial Planetarium
    Posts
    1,621
    Quote Originally Posted by Radeghost View Post
    and now you're a jannie on wow forums. that's ironic, lol.

    its just voice comms tho, if you dont like it, just leave the server. you cant be abused over discord, get a grip on reality.
    Hm, so you say after what I’ve endured, I have every predisposition to become a new cosmic janitor.
    Behold my new creation!


  9. #169
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Why are you assuming they have to KNOW your gender to take an action?
    Because nobody is going to take those actions if they don't know your gender.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    As I've already said, I was standing next to a summon stone before and someone started whispering me rather inappropriate things, because for some reason they thought I was a chick just because I was playing a blood elf.
    So you type "/ignore (name)" and move on with your life instead of getting traumatized over words on the internet.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    This just sounds like because you've never had to deal with it, or never heard stories of others having to deal with it, that it must not be a big issue. Which isn't how it works.
    And just because you got triggered over words on the internet doesn't mean we have to pander to your fragile little mind.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    I just think it's pretty worthless to drag up a conversation from days ago
    Imagine thinking "days ago" is a super long time on a forum this slow.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    But you really didn't hesitate to go right to insulting instead of trying to think of something worth saying, did you?
    Imagine thinking that someone disagreeing with you is "insulting" and "saying something not worth saying".

    Yikes. How did someone so fragile even become a mod in the first place, I have to wonder.

  10. #170
    Moderator Rozz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    7,890
    Quote Originally Posted by Evolixe View Post
    There are other reasons not to join strange discords that don't include unwillingness to talk to people or social anxiety. The internet is a strange place and you don't know who you can and cannot trust. Joining random discords is, at least to a degree, a digital security risk. A lot of information about you can be derived from a discord account and most people can't be bothered to create throwaway accounts and/or use VPNs and such just for the purpose of playing with random people.

    The level of risk does in part also depend on who you are and what you do, but you can't dismiss it as an illegitimate concern.
    People who haven't gone through traumatic experiences or are just ignorant to how it effects people don't understand. Discord is just a chat tool and those have always been abused to hurt people.

    I'm in favor of only using guild discords, because people are weird as fuck. It's necessary at high end play, but coms aren't for everyone because it's too easy for just anyone to say reckless shit with no regrets. But I am the type to prefer to have comms clear unless the lead is talking.

    But even guild discords breed drama for no reason. The game should just have better comms built into it to circumvent the issue. Then just mute cringe players who want attention in your group.
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."

  11. #171
    Immortal Evolixe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    In the Shadows
    Posts
    7,310
    Quote Originally Posted by Rozz View Post
    But even guild discords breed drama for no reason. The game should just have better comms built into it to circumvent the issue. Then just mute cringe players who want attention in your group.
    Just a general statement but if you (the reader of this text) experience a lot of drama in your guild; contrary to what some may believe.. that isn't normal.
    If your guild isn't generally a good place for the vast majority of the time, you may want to consider leaving. Weekly heated arguments are very bad.

  12. #172
    The Lightbringer Battlebeard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    3,137
    Quote Originally Posted by garicasha View Post
    In my 15+ years of raid leading (mostly pugs) I have consistently had the most problems with anyone who says this. They are Always the first to rage quit.

    Generally my groups have a couple different skill levels of players, and the groups are usually competent but not completely-overpowering-the-fight-competent.

    It’s frustrating because I hate to turn down qualified players but there’s so many fights where communication is key. Target swaps, dodges, healing CDs, doesn’t matter if a player has killed a few twelve times, if they want to do it the current one they need to be working with the team.

    There’s only one or two other groups of players I’ve had as much trouble with. I’m not going to mention them by name, but they weren’t an issue when I was fighting Ragnaros in vanilla.

    If you are a good raider who know the fight you DO NOT need Discord. It's silly to ask for overkill. If they fail just kick them.

  13. #173
    Quote Originally Posted by garicasha View Post
    I personally haven't experienced much trouble from Discord except one time there was a very convincing scam from the death knight discord where they were pretending you could be a moderator or something, one of the most legitimate looking things I've ever seen.

    I do think that the security concerns from Discord are quite low as you can leave the server the moment the raid ends and I just don't feel discord has all that much personal info. If someone is hellbent on stalking some random player maybe they could, but I don't see that as being any different from purchasing something with a credit card online.

    I will agree that lots of discords are stupid and annoying. I personally underestimated that because I'm generally all work no play in mine but I also pug a lot and yah people are frequently saying stupid shtuff.

    But one fundamental disagreement I have with several of the posters here is the idea that discord provides no value because heroic-level raids are just so easy and I strongly disagree with that. The idea that instant communication can't help out with jams and errors is, in my opinion, demonstrably untrue. And back in vanilla I used to type out all instructions and could do so really fast...but it's just that not effective because there's already SO MUCH info on the screen that adding more visual information is just the worst way to do it. It's like the brain can focus on a couple things visually (character feet, procs, dbm timers, WAs) and a couple things audioally (boss emotes, DBM sounds, voice chat).

    I think there's also a part of the brain that is specifically wired to people hearing their name called which grabs their attention in ways text never will. Probably because our moms didn't "yell" at us by text when we were lovable little kiddos.
    I'd say just stream your viewer raids as well and have people who don't want to join off discord watch the stream with low latency - that is how I did it.
    Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/onlyjoshintv
    Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn2...7AE0NG5sjbjYPw

    Content centres around Lost Ark currently

  14. #174
    An interesting idea but won't they just hear all the same chatter through my PC as well?
    17 hazed on the Golemagg "cinematic": https://i.imgur.com/nlZM3cj.jpg

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •