Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    It's ok, feels like this should have been the first series, get the crew back together then add the newer people in to create a next next generation.

I still don't like the federation being dark and gritty I know they always had aspects of it but this is a bit far.

Badly written, the amount of times someone dislikes and disagrees with a person then does exactly what they want I couldn't count.

Also I'm not sure if this is just episode six but every scene doesn't need to end with five seconds of tense music while the camera closes in on a character acting X emotion, unless it's gates McFadden, I don't think her face can move anymore

Really surprised there isnt more chatter about this show here. I know this site has quite a few Star Trek fans, and Picard S3 is just killing it.

Im not the worlds biggest Trek fan, I would watch TNG is nothing else was on, never saw Voyager, but understand the basic story, enjoyed almost all of DS9, and I think I saw the first two next generation movies in the theaters - they werent that good. So watching all these storylines being continued and maybe even tied up is great fun. Seeing old characters popping up cant help but put a smile on my face. The little easter eggs are a pretty nice touch as well.

Quote Originally Posted by alach View Post
    Really surprised there isnt more chatter about this show here. I know this site has quite a few Star Trek fans, and Picard S3 is just killing it.
    S3 might be killing it, but S1 and S2 already killed it. That's why the fans aren't here

Im not the worlds biggest Trek fan, I would watch TNG is nothing else was on, never saw Voyager, but understand the basic story, enjoyed almost all of DS9, and I think I saw the first two next generation movies in the theaters - they werent that good. So watching all these storylines being continued and maybe even tied up is great fun. Seeing old characters popping up cant help but put a smile on my face. The little easter eggs are a pretty nice touch as well.
    S3 is exactly what fans have expected Picard to be. I still am puzzled why it took those two pointless seasons before until they gave them what they wanted.

They really did their homework, and are tying up old plotlines, connecting the whole Star Trek franchise in a way we have never seen before. Since it's now bundled into a single season it does seem over the top sometimes, though.

Imagine if this was the first season, what Picard could have been in those three planned seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Puri View Post
    S3 is exactly what fans have expected Picard to be. I still am puzzled why it took those two pointless seasons before until they gave them what they wanted.

They really did their homework, and are tying up old plotlines, connecting the whole Star Trek franchise in a way we have never seen before. Since it's now bundled into a single season it does seem over the top sometimes, though.

Imagine if this was the first season, what Picard could have been in those three planned seasons.
    Eerily familiar. Enterprise also had two shit seasons until it finally started to do SOMETHING.

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    S3 might be killing it, but S1 and S2 already killed it. That's why the fans aren't here
    Yeah, I didn't watch season 2, but I read it wasnt very good. I heard Wesly was in it?
    This new captain of the Titan is great, is he connected anywhere else? I don't remember him.

I was a big fan of enterprise while it was on as well, especially, as you said, the last couple seasons.

I think season 3 is by far the worst season so far (and the first two where pretty bad), Retirees to the rescue! It's so stupid to see these elderly skeletoids shambling around pretending to be Indiana Jones' in space. They are just too old to realistically portray their roles, half of the cast can't even walk properly anymore. Which makes the whole thing just look unbelievably stupid and unrealistic too me. It's like an end-life crisis (because this goes way beyond a midlife crisis) made into a show. And the story is so bad it's laughable, more characters destroyed. And of course a convenient plot-son, for the dastardly roguish Picard because that's what he always was... lol.

This show feels like the an old man's sad fan fiction.

I'm really enjoying season 3 so far. The last episode was somewhat heavy on fan service... but I don't care, it was great!

If there’s one thing I’m tired of is Starfleet being infiltrated. We’ve now done it twice in the Picard series. Im not sure why an organization that is so often portrayed as hyper competent has people climbing so high that are truly against them. Perhaps it’s just a trope i’m tired of at this point.

That said I’ve enjoyed S3 a great deal, and although we’re getting close to the end I don’t believe I’ve pieced the whole puzzle together (tho I tend to steer clear of spoilers).

Quote Originally Posted by SavoirFaire View Post
    If there’s one thing I’m tired of is Starfleet being infiltrated. We’ve now done it twice in the Picard series. Im not sure why an organization that is so often portrayed as hyper competent has people climbing so high that are truly against them. Perhaps it’s just a trope i’m tired of at this point.
    Have to hard agree here. It's terribly tropey and it's been done to death. I was thinking about watching this after all, but this makes me want to stay far away.

I heard Wesly was in it?
    2-minute inconsequential cameo.

Have to hard agree here. It's terribly tropey and it's been done to death. I was thinking about watching this after all, but this makes me want to stay far away.
    If you put up with any form of Picard s1 or S2 I’d say give this a shot. The high level trope is annoying but there’s been some good stuff here. I certainly don’t regret the time I’ve spent with it, wish I could say the same on s2

10+ Year Old Account
    I honestly haven't gotten around to watching any of this. I know that Q is supposed to die Which I thought was stupid, I also don't like what happened from what I heard in Season 1. I don't hate Star Trek Discovery either. If anything I kind of admire the risks taken. That said I ama TNG'er through and through and they kind of missed the boat for me with this.

The more recent Trek peeks my interest, but honestly Picard really isn't the same to me as his younger years. Again they miss the boat with me but I do hope Trek finds it mark again. Even if it's not with me.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    I honestly haven't gotten around to watching any of this. I know that Q is supposed to die Which I thought was stupid, I also don't like what happened from what I heard in Season 1. I don't hate Star Trek Discovery either. If anything I kind of admire the risks taken. That said I ama TNG'er through and through and they kind of missed the boat for me with this.

The more recent Trek peeks my interest, but honestly Picard really isn't the same to me as his younger years. Again they miss the boat with me but I do hope Trek finds it mark again. Even if it's not with me.
    If you haven't watched season 2 don't bother, you won't be missing much but season 3 is well worth a watch. It is not perfect but it is Trek, rather than a below average sci-fi show with a bit of Trek tacked on, and if you enjoyed TNG then you'll probably enjoy this.
    Last edited by Pann; 2023-03-28 at 07:19 AM.

I actually enjoyed the first two seasons but there's no denying that season 3 is the real TNostalGia trip. and oh what nostalgia! episode 6 showing off some of the old ships was really great and some nice easter eggs in the background (Genesis II and Kirk's body)

it's also interesting that the show seems to be setting up some wider things that aren't planned on being picked up in this show (a second, different Collective, the Travellers, the Q are dying) the latter may be more similar to the Data ageing problems but could still be explored in future shows

I'm surprised by just how well they've managed to write most of the old cast into it, the appearances make sense (as opposed to Worf just happening to be around for the 9th and 10th movies) and some genuine surprises (Hugh, Wesley, Ro). it'd be nice to see a few faces from DS9 (Odo would have made sense this season but sadly the actor passed away) and Voyager but of course it makes sense for TNG to be the main focus. but of course O'Brian started out there and is possibly the only still living major character from TNG yet to show up

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post

Strange new worlds is definitely the one for you, I went in after being extremely disappointed by Picard, to the point I was trying to dislike the first episode but it's really good

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Agreed with most posting here.

As a Gen-Xer who's first "True Trek Love" was TNG, hubby and I are enjoying the 'fun' Picard Season 3. We watched the other two seasons, and like others, were less than impressed. Really glad that this third season has dumped the storylines of the first two and just returned to more 'normal trek' TNG style. LOVE seeing all the recurring characters (and some of their stories) get tied up a bit. Even as we don't really 'care' about the Picard "son" storyline (again - we did this in a borg movie yeah? lol) necessarily - still - the rest of the story, and what's going on with the 'mystery' of the StarFleet infiltration is definitely more engaging and entertaining than anything in the other two seasons.

Its still Trek. And Trek has its tropes. I was fine with them for most of the other Trek shows, so I'm ok seeing them 'again' now. It doesn't bother us at all, because that's Star Trek. We don't get bothered by the fact that starfleet's being infiltrated (again), because that's what you do with giant, powerful, government organizations and plots. =D (Not just in Star Trek lol) Haven't been bothered by Picard or Riker trying to deal with some existential issues involving aging, legacy, family, etc - hell I'd be more bothered if they never addressed it (because it should be something the aging characters are dealing with). As I enjoyed it in Star Trek 5 (I think it was) when the writers at that time were doing the same with the aging ST:O characters. I also appreciate that Picard is actually flawed, and they show it (at least IMO, with his decisions) and let him be flawed, and struggling with possible regrets or reevaluating some of his 'life stances' - without the show trying to justify and make all he does 'the right thing given the circumstances.'

Overall, just enjoying this last season for what it is. Appreciating the chance to return with some old favorite characters to an old favorite place, for a few more episodes of fun, before they really are all gone, forever.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd say if you are a TNG fan, give the third season (only) a chance. It comes across as entirely different, and better, than the first two seasons of Picard, and almost nothing in this season (outside of the presence of a single character, Raffi, but her backstory comes into this not at all) connects to the prior two. But just because its harkening back to the TNG cast and doing "normal TNG" sort of plotlines (IMO), I think its worth watching for any fan of TNG.
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriani View Post
    I'd say if you are a TNG fan, give the third season (only) a chance. It comes across as entirely different, and better, than the first two seasons of Picard, and almost nothing in this season (outside of the presence of a single character, Raffi, but her backstory comes into this not at all) connects to the prior two. But just because its harkening back to the TNG cast and doing "normal TNG" sort of plotlines (IMO), I think its worth watching for any fan of TNG.
    There's a fair bit of reason here to why season 3 is better. The writer for the season went to each of the actors of TNG and asked them about the plot he was going to write for them. They all agreed and loved his ideas.

But, I would remind everyone that the first few seasons of every Trek in the TNG era (TNG, DS9, VOY, and even *shudder* Enterprise) all had terrible first and second seasons. Look at the monochromatic alien vistas in seasons 1 and 2 TNG. They were trying to be an updated rip-off of TOS. Right at season 3, new production, new directors, new management, TNG season 3 on is just exactly as it should be: It's own thing.

DS9 had similar issues until the end of season 2 as well. Enterprise was just awful until season 4 - where they had real Star Trek writers come in and try to clean up the mess of Braga.

Voyager was intended to be a serial like DS9, but people complained that it was exactly that: serialized. They wanted a TNG-like show that was more episodic, so Voyager lost the serial format after season 1 - to its detriment.

Anyway, none of the Trek series starting with TNG was perfect at the start. I don't know why people are expecting anything to be perfect at the start now. Seems counterintuitive to me.

Picard is a lot of Patrick Stewart's ideas for seasons 1 and 2. (He also had the action hero idea for Nemesis and that entire movie bombed.) But, a true fan writer came in and said, "Yeah, here's what I'd like to do for you guys". Suddenly, it's better.

Just because someone is the star of the show doesn't mean they always know what is in the best interests of the show. (See Star Trek V: Death of a Franchise, written by Shatner. Star Trek IV, written by Nimoy, was an amazing success.) I enjoy the hell out of Patrick Stewart as Picard. I would prefer he keep his creative ideas to himself and let the real writers do their jobs.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yakut View Post
    There's a fair bit of reason here to why season 3 is better. The writer for the season went to each of the actors of TNG and asked them about the plot he was going to write for them. They all agreed and loved his ideas.

But, I would remind everyone that the first few seasons of every Trek in the TNG era (TNG, DS9, VOY, and even *shudder* Enterprise) all had terrible first and second seasons. Look at the monochromatic alien vistas in seasons 1 and 2 TNG. They were trying to be an updated rip-off of TOS. Right at season 3, new production, new directors, new management, TNG season 3 on is just exactly as it should be: It's own thing.
    Oh I never expect any show to be perfect out of the gate - absolutely agree, many shows take awhile to find their feet. And back when we had 25+ episodes a year, it didn't matter so much when some of the episodes, invariably, turned out to be crap. Course, I disagree the first two seasons of TNG were 'bad'; I also enjoy ST:5 for a variety of reasons, but that's opinions. And Unfortunately, with the norming of streaming to seasons being 10-12 (at most), shows can't afford to have 3-5 throw-away episodes. And streaming networks rarely give more than one season for a show to 'find its footing.'

Course, not all of that applies to PICARD, anyway. It was always going to be (at most) three seasons. This wasn't pitched as an ongoing series for longer than that. And you can't spend 2 out of 3 seasons of your show 'finding yourself.' Sorry, if it wasn't Stewart agreeing to three (and only three), and it wasn't Paramount, I'd be willing to bet nowhere else would have given this more than the first season. And this is a fan who was REALLY looking forward to Season 2 because of Q, only to be more disappointed by the nonsensical disjointed 'huh-wtf?' of Season 2 more then the slight boredom I felt with Season 1.

So to me - I wouldn't really compare 'growing pains' of a new show to the issues with PICARD and the three seasons. The three seasons barely relate to each other in plot. It isn't a serial series where year after year they were building on what was established prior. It was more three separate shows of one season, each, with how little they had to do with each other. And while I knew Stewart signed on only because he was given more creative freedom/control about the first season (and knew he had an agenda with that plot), that doesn't mean I hold him responsible for every aspect of the poor writing and lack of development/connection of plot between seasons. I mean maybe he was just that much of a control freak-diva - to be in charge of every line of writing and development of plot. But I never got that impression, anyway. =D

I'm just glad THIS season is better than the last two (though I wouldn't say the 2nd season improved on the 1st). For whatever those reasons are. I see your points, and totally agree with you about the changing writers/writing making the difference - absolutely (and thankful they did!). Definitely agree that just because people are stars in a show doesn't mean they know what's best. But I just don't agree that this is a 'typical growing pains' for a show, Trek or not.
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

If someone stopped watching Picard because it wasn't what they wanted and they haven't watched season 3 ... they are totally missing out on what they wanted from the show. Today's episode is all the feels a fan of TNG could have ever wanted.