Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
LastLast
  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    But sunglasses don't help with poor eyesight.
    Is it stated that they use glasses in lore?

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by username993720 View Post
    Is it stated that they use glasses in lore?
    I mean you even linked pictures of a Tuskarr with glasses and you still question whether they use them or not?
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Since Arthas used Frostmourne, which is a Runeblade, and Frostmourne's power eminates from those runes, that made him a Runemaster by default.

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by username993720 View Post
    Is it stated that they use glasses in lore?
    Globalization, not necessarily limited to the real world. :P

    Looking at the screenshot it pretty much looks like we'll be getting a questline with these 2.
    A warrior momma and her whimpy husband or son.

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    I mean you even linked pictures of a Tuskarr with glasses and you still question whether they use them or not?
    Glasses are a cosmetic option for playable races. Doesn't mean that it's part of the race's culture.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zmagoslav View Post
    Globalization, not necessarily limited to the real world. :P

    Looking at the screenshot it pretty much looks like we'll be getting a questline with these 2.
    A warrior momma and her whimpy husband or son.
    Or just a hint at playability.
    That would be like giving Tauren monocoles.

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by username993720 View Post
    Glasses are a cosmetic option for playable races. Doesn't mean that it's part of the race's culture.
    Sure it does. It means their has access to them and will wear them willingly, perhaps even fashionably.

    No different than their style of clothes being part of their culture even if there is no lore to explain whether they made it or traded some other NPC races for them. It doesn't matter because they are shown wearing them and it ultimately represents their culture. It represents their culture no differently than anything else. It shows they will wear glasses, comfortably in public, without any social taboos or stigmas against this particular piece of fashion.

    Like if some Mag'har NPCs started sporting some new hairstyle you haven't seen before? That hairstyle becomes part of the culture now. Even if it came, from some other race, like a Forsaken style punk mohawk, simply sporting them would become a part of what Mag'har are culturally open to wearing their hair in the style of. And we can see that even though the Mohawk originated as a Native American hairstyle, the Tauren do not have this hair option at all, meaning real world culture isn't 1:1 with WoW's races anyways.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2022-05-12 at 03:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Since Arthas used Frostmourne, which is a Runeblade, and Frostmourne's power eminates from those runes, that made him a Runemaster by default.

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    Sure it does. It means their has access to them and will wear them willingly, perhaps even fashionably.

    No different than their style of clothes being part of their culture even if there is no lore to explain whether they made it or traded some other NPC races for them. It doesn't matter because they are shown wearing them and it ultimately represents their culture. It represents their culture no differently than anything else. It shows they will wear glasses, comfortably in public, without any social taboos or stigmas against this particular piece of fashion.

    Like if some Mag'har NPCs started sporting some new hairstyle you haven't seen before? That hairstyle becomes part of the culture now. Even if it came, from some other race, like a Forsaken style punk mohawk, simply sporting them would become a part of what Mag'har are culturally open to wearing their hair in the style of. And we can see that even though the Mohawk originated as a Native American hairstyle, the Tauren do not have this hair option at all, meaning real world culture isn't 1:1 with WoW's races anyways.
    A Tauren wearing Goggles doesn't make it part of Tauren culture.

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by username993720 View Post
    A Tauren wearing Goggles doesn't make it part of Tauren culture.
    It also doesn't make them 'historically inaccurate'.

    Tauren have been shown wearing a wide assortment of clothing and fashion, and have been doing so since they have been a part of the growing multiculture of the Horde. All of the 'Holy' gear that Priests get? That is all quite a norm now for Taurens, who have been Priests since Cata.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2022-05-12 at 05:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Since Arthas used Frostmourne, which is a Runeblade, and Frostmourne's power eminates from those runes, that made him a Runemaster by default.

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by username993720 View Post
    We're not talking about a need. We're talking about representation.
    Not everything worn in game is actually sorely needed.
    Not everything needs representation in the game. Two can play this game.

  9. #49
    Mechagnome Indigenously Abled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The Reservation (Thanks White People)
    Posts
    716
    Quote Originally Posted by Izalla View Post
    That's not even slightly relevant because the people you are discussing are NOT Asian. The tuskarr are based on Inuit according to Blizzard, and I'm pretty sure if you start telling some Inuit people, or heck any indigenous peoples in North America, that they are Asian they will likely not be happy with you.
    TIL I'm Asian /s

    OT: Because someone decided they'd look really cute with those glasses instead of the minimalist kanye shutter shades of my distant cousins.
    Thanks for the ad-hominem; it supports your inability to support your argument.

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    It also doesn't make them 'historically inaccurate'.

    Tauren have been shown wearing a wide assortment of clothing and fashion, and have been doing so since they have been a part of the growing multiculture of the Horde. All of the 'Holy' gear that Priests get? That is all quite a norm now for Taurens, who have been Priests since Cata.
    It isn't. It's just gameplay representation. Tauren Priests aren't your ordinary cleric or bishop. They are Seers. That's why you have different race and class lore. So, the game world wouldn't be muddled like you are trying to do.

    Quote Originally Posted by Raxacorico View Post
    Not everything needs representation in the game. Two can play this game.
    They started. Might as well finish it.

  11. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by username993720 View Post
    It isn't. It's just gameplay representation. Tauren Priests aren't your ordinary cleric or bishop. They are Seers. That's why you have different race and class lore. So, the game world wouldn't be muddled like you are trying to do.
    .
    And what do seers wear? Same thing that other Priests do, considering there is no specific formal 'Seer' clothing or armor that is specific to Tauren.

    Priest gear visually represents what Tauren Priests would choose to wear. Just like the cinematic of the Tauren Warrior in plate is also the first and only cinematic depiction of any Tauren wearing armor, while it has been represented in game for literally decades now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Since Arthas used Frostmourne, which is a Runeblade, and Frostmourne's power eminates from those runes, that made him a Runemaster by default.

  12. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by username993720 View Post
    It Tauren Priests aren't your ordinary cleric or bishop. They are Seers.
    No they're not, they're druids that worship the sun instead of the moon.

  13. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    And what do seers wear? Same thing that other Priests do, considering there is no specific formal 'Seer' clothing or armor that is specific to Tauren.

    Priest gear visually represents what Tauren Priests would choose to wear. Just like the cinematic of the Tauren Warrior in plate is also the first and only cinematic depiction of any Tauren wearing armor, while it has been represented in game for literally decades now.
    The BfA cinematics shows Grunt armor. We know where it comes from.
    A seer wouldn't wear clerical robes if it was up to him. But, something Taurenish in nature.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mic_128 View Post
    No they're not, they're druids that worship the sun instead of the moon.
    https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/Seers

  14. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by username993720 View Post
    The BfA cinematics shows Grunt armor. We know where it comes from.
    A seer wouldn't wear clerical robes if it was up to him. But, something Taurenish in nature.

    Tauren seers are represented by wearing something they were never shown to wear? Uhh....

    Tauren Seers were only known to us since Cataclysm, and were represented wearing Priest garb. Priest gear is literally what represents them, and their entire organization, in the game.

    No different than how Grunt armor is a part of Tauren culture now too since they are part of the Horde. Would you make the same excuse and say they would not wear armor if it were up to them? Because WC3 depicted them without armor? No, you would simply see armor as another option.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2022-05-14 at 04:10 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Since Arthas used Frostmourne, which is a Runeblade, and Frostmourne's power eminates from those runes, that made him a Runemaster by default.

  15. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    Tauren seers are represented by wearing something they were never shown to wear? Uhh....

    Tauren Seers were only known to us since Cataclysm, and were represented wearing Priest garb. Priest gear is literally what represents them, and their entire organization, in the game.

    No different than how Grunt armor is a part of Tauren culture now too since they are part of the Horde. Would you make the same excuse and say they would not wear armor if it were up to them? Because WC3 depicted them without armor? No, you would simply see armor as another option.
    It's not their armor. It's orcish armor.
    Just because they don't have a representarive garment, doesn't mean they are the same as, let's say, Human priests.
    Sunwalkers don't have a unique-looking armor set either, but we know they differ from other Paladins. Blizzard is just lazy. At least their mount is a testament to their difference.

  16. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by username993720 View Post
    It's not their armor. It's orcish armor.
    Just because they don't have a representarive garment, doesn't mean they are the same as, let's say, Human priests.
    Sunwalkers don't have a unique-looking armor set either, but we know they differ from other Paladins. Blizzard is just lazy. At least their mount is a testament to their difference.
    But we're not talking about whether they made it or not, we're talking about whether they are represented wearing it openly within their society.

    Like, are we talking about Tuskarrs inventing glasses? No, we're not. We're talking about them fashionably wearing them. And there's nothing wrong with them wearing glasses that are of foreign design. It implies that trade is a significant part of their culture, and glasses reflect a willingness to adopt modern fashion. That is also culture.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Since Arthas used Frostmourne, which is a Runeblade, and Frostmourne's power eminates from those runes, that made him a Runemaster by default.

  17. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    But we're not talking about whether they made it or not, we're talking about whether they are represented wearing it openly within their society.

    Like, are we talking about Tuskarrs inventing glasses? No, we're not. We're talking about them fashionably wearing them. And there's nothing wrong with them wearing glasses that are of foreign design. It implies that trade is a significant part of their culture, and glasses reflect a willingness to adopt modern fashion. That is also culture.
    It would eventually diminish a race's uniqueness, like Globalization.

  18. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by username993720 View Post
    It would eventually diminish a race's uniqueness, like Globalization.
    Except it doesn't.

    Does Night Elves wearing any other type of armor diminish their culture? Does having the option to wear engineering goggles diminish their culture? It doesn't, because they're two different things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Since Arthas used Frostmourne, which is a Runeblade, and Frostmourne's power eminates from those runes, that made him a Runemaster by default.

  19. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    Except it doesn't.

    Does Night Elves wearing any other type of armor diminish their culture? Does having the option to wear engineering goggles diminish their culture? It doesn't, because they're two different things.
    It does kinda, yes.
    Because we know Night elves disdain technology and love nature. So, you're deviating from that with goggles and other gadgets.

  20. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by username993720 View Post
    It does kinda, yes.
    Because we know Night elves disdain technology and love nature. So, you're deviating from that with goggles and other gadgets.
    They don't disdain technology, that was never in the lore.

    They love nature, that is true. There's nothing about technology they actually avoid though, the way they actually avoid using, say, Arcane or Dark magic. Gnomish/Goblin Technology just hadn't ever been available to their culture before they joined the Alliance.

    Having access to Goggles and Technology now is not deviating from their culture, it is expanding it. They have actually been shown using technological war machines as far back as Warcraft 3. What do you think the Glaive Thrower is? A product of Nature?

    Crafted from the sturdy ashenwood trees, the night elves' ballistae are deadly siege machines built to fling heavy bolts of ironwood at both enemy forces and structures

    I would consider siege machines under the branch of engineering and technology. Night Elves certainly weren't actively avoiding using Ballistae and Glaive Throwers.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2022-05-15 at 07:32 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Since Arthas used Frostmourne, which is a Runeblade, and Frostmourne's power eminates from those runes, that made him a Runemaster by default.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •