Page 1 of 3
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #1

    Biggest in-expansion power gain

    Which one was the largest?
    We gauge the diffrence between best pre-raid gear you can get before stepping into the first raid of an expansion and maxed out character in the last tier.

    I think it was in WOD, even though this expansion had only 1 major content patch and didn't really had any aux systems to ramp your power through the roof.

    I was doing about 20k single target on heroic Butcher which was typical DPS check fight, about the same on Imperator Mar'Gok heroic (but that fight was more mechanically intensive AND i had some gear off other bosses and bonus rolls already even tho we killed that boss in week 1). I had very good gear coming into raids, bought the best BOE's that were available.

    And at the end of WOD I was routinely pulling 200k, although in a very short fight (such as killing Iron Reaver before he even goes up into the air). That was like 10 times more damage than when starting out. Almost no systems. Just excellent tier set bonuses, high item level (augmented by valor point upgrades later in the patch) and the legendary ring. The ring was the only "system".

    Idk about BFA because I skipped most of it. I was doing about 110k DPS at the end of it, with maxed corruptions etc. Maybe it was even bigger power gap.

    It seems that 5X power gains are common since Mists of Pandaria. It's not just systems thing. It's high item level gain mostly.

  2. #2
    the single biggest power jump gain ever was the wod ring

    but powercreep from start to finish proly goes to mop

  3. #3

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    the single biggest power jump gain ever was the wod ring

    but powercreep from start to finish proly goes to mop
    Yeh, i feel this is accurate. MOP was just on another level...having the client crash because of boss health and dps going overboard lol... Reason why they implemented the squish.

  5. #5
    Field Marshal Grapple's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Seattle Wa
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    Full Corruptions at the end of 8.3 were pretty insane.
    agreed, I don't think anything can compare to 8.3. I came back after leaving in 8.1, hopped into LFR, watched a tentacle out damage half the raid.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    Full Corruptions at the end of 8.3 were pretty insane.
    i find it kind of hard to count that as it wasnt all that realistic to do,and some of the corruptions were purely rng and could vary wildly from pull to pull

    the wod ring was a consistant flat huge % increase that was used to completly invalidate entire mythic phases and even literaly 1 shot bosses before they were changed

  7. #7
    Nah y'all wrong. It was Legion for sure. The insane amount of growth from the artifacts over the expac, plus getting to use two legendaries AND tier by the end of the expac...... ridiculous growth. and that skill tree thing on the vindicar (forgot the name)

    like look at the 12mil dps parse on antoran high command. best parse on nythendra in emerald nightmare was 800k, and that's at the end of 7.1 and definitely not week one numbers.
    Last edited by Sinfelle; 2022-05-09 at 06:23 PM.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    i find it kind of hard to count that as it wasnt all that realistic to do,and some of the corruptions were purely rng and could vary wildly from pull to pull

    the wod ring was a consistant flat huge % increase that was used to completly invalidate entire mythic phases and even literaly 1 shot bosses before they were changed
    You could buy Corruptions off a vendor for most of 8.3. The Corruptions were on a rotating cycle, but it wasn't unrealistic to have a full set of optimized Corruption. (In fact, many of my toons had dozens of different Corruption set-ups.) The ring was powerful, too, but for different reasons. The ring strongly favored high burst damage (which is why Arcane was meta) where Corruption could be tailor-fit for whatever your class desired.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    You could buy Corruptions off a vendor for most of 8.3. The Corruptions were on a rotating cycle, but it wasn't unrealistic to have a full set of optimized Corruption. (In fact, many of my toons had dozens of different Corruption set-ups.) The ring was powerful, too, but for different reasons. The ring strongly favored high burst damage (which is why Arcane was meta) where Corruption could be tailor-fit for whatever your class desired.
    Someone would have to come up with some charts and math looking at exact %,but usualy the raids are tuned around some of these powerboosts,even with optimized corruptions nyalotha still felt progressive,and the pull rng was very annoying at times,but i never felt since wod a bigger impact than the ring had,archimonde was a different fight because of it,it whent from one of the hardest and best designed bosses to a dps race to skip mecanics in first and last phase

    in legion for example with all the artefact power and legenderies,and even after like 11 nerfs kiljaeden was still a challenge,and some fights like mistress amusingly became harder if you had to much dps lol

  10. #10
    I feel like it had to be either Legion or BfA considering they both had unlimited power gains by the final patch.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinfelle View Post
    Nah y'all wrong. It was Legion for sure. The insane amount of growth from the artifacts over the expac, plus getting to use two legendaries AND tier by the end of the expac...... ridiculous growth. and that skill tree thing on the vindicar (forgot the name)

    like look at the 12mil dps parse on antoran high command. best parse on nythendra in emerald nightmare was 800k, and that's at the end of 7.1 and definitely not week one numbers.
    I think this is the correct answer. Felt really fitting too given Argus is probably the most powerful end boss we've ever fought.

  12. #12
    Legion and BFA for sure. Those systems really fucked it up hard with over 5x power increase

  13. #13
    Field Marshal Grapple's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Seattle Wa
    Posts
    58
    It seems there are at least two methods for classifying power gain:

    1. Your power with <power gain> VS the current content.
    2. Your power with <power gain> VS a player who did not have these powers.

    I feel like BFA fell into #2, where you just became a literal God with corruptions but you basically were not even able to kill a kobold without them. I feel the Ring in WOD falls into #1, the Design of bosses did not adequately take the rings into account, which made them feel trivial. Both end up feeling like insane power creep.

  14. #14
    Battle for Azeroth. The combination of corruptions, the Heart of Azeroth, cloak and Azerite gear was ridiculous.

    A lot of it may have been RNG but ridiculous none the less. My tanks had a great time when Twilight Devastation went off and suddenly everything went from 100% to like 15%. Sucked when they didn't go off though.

    I also had a fun tentacle set-up on the rogue, where he'd proc multiple and things just vanished.

  15. #15
    MoP for WL UVLS trinket. 100% crit with snapshotting was MASSIVE.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    Full Corruptions at the end of 8.3 were pretty insane.
    This.
    I was most of the time second or third in dps in M+ till 20-21+ as a tank (on Mobs always first).
    BiS Blood DK with the maximum HP spec just deleted the mobs on big pulls with Twilight Devastation.
    In the last months i was just running 15+ for the lulz and people freaked out how i 1 shot mobs.

  17. #17
    Pretty sure WoD ring takes the crown since you could kill Mythic bosses in 15 seconds and less with 1tank+arcane mages/sub rogues.

    To be fair there were also some trinkets in play there to enable it but still, not sure if that was possible in 8.3.

  18. #18
    Speaking about the infamous wod power increase. That was about a 20x damage increase from butcher to iron reaver (for arcane mages).
    But if you look at other classes and bosses its only around 2.5x increase from highmaul to hellfire citadel.
    Bfa averages at around 9x damage increase all around.

    Both are pretty crazy. I think wod takes the cake for raids and bfa for dungeons. Unlike hfc it felt like nyalotha was actually balanced (somewhat) around the power increase from corruption.

  19. #19
    Bloodsail Admiral Nightshade711's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2022
    Location
    Argus
    Posts
    1,146
    Corruption with BfA at least for tanks.

    Both tanks in my guild were able to AFK to cook ramen on il'gynoth and did top DPS because they had multiple twilight dev pieces. (One of the tanks was veng DH on top of that with vision of perfection and a lot of stamina or health increasing traits/essences so his health was always incredibly high)
    Not to mention the whole 'tank only runs' that could down bosses without really paying attention to mechanics.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Foolicious View Post
    Speaking about the infamous wod power increase. That was about a 20x damage increase from butcher to iron reaver (for arcane mages).
    But if you look at other classes and bosses its only around 2.5x increase from highmaul to hellfire citadel.
    Bfa averages at around 9x damage increase all around.

    Both are pretty crazy. I think wod takes the cake for raids and bfa for dungeons. Unlike hfc it felt like nyalotha was actually balanced (somewhat) around the power increase from corruption.
    a thing to keep in mind about wod is that techinaly the expansion only had 2 tiers,foundry was suposed to be a launch raid and they even buffed the ilvl after so it would atleast feel like an extra tier,but yeah the arcane mage thing was bonkers

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •