Page 1 of 3
LastLast

EA and FIFA end nearly 30-year-old-partnership

(Source)
    EA and FIFA have ended their video game partnership after nearly 30 years as the soccer game franchise rebrands to EA Sports FC.

The gaming firm formally announced its rebranding on social media and released a statement on the change.

EA's announcement said in part, "...Alongside our 300+ license partners across the sport, we're ready to take global football experiences to new heights, on behalf of all football fans around the world".

News that EA might rebrand FIFA began back in October, shortly before it emerged that FIFA reportedly wanted to double the cost of its license to more than $1 billion for each four-year World Cup cycle.

The association also said that it was interested in expanding beyond such an exclusive licensing agreement.

Around the same time, it was reported that the publisher had trademarked EA Sports FC.

FIFA is consistently one of the best-selling games every year, it's the biggest games brand of all time in the UK.

As reported by The New York Times, the EA and FIFA deal is now expected to end through the Women's World Cup, next summer 2023.

Additionally, the publication went on to say that the FIFA video game franchise has generated more than $20 billion in revenue.
    Pretty huge loss for EA. Bigger than losing Star Wars lol
    Last edited by UnifiedDivide; 2022-05-11 at 02:16 PM.

Maybe they can focus on the all of the game instead of micro transactions and lootboxes and shit
    ___________( •̪●) --(FOR THE ALLIANCE!)
    ░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▃
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂
    I███████████████████].
    ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...

Quote Originally Posted by Huntaer View Post
    Maybe they can focus on the all of the game instead of micro transactions and lootboxes and shit
    Let's not get too carried away now!

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    It's a bigger loss for Fifa, those greedy fucks.

Probably not.

They have deals with all the clubs directly so they can still have all the players in the game, they just can't use any FIFA branding etc. And it's probably much, much, much, much cheaper than the reported quarter-billion a year FIFA was asking for for the license.

Will they take a financial hit losing the FIFA brand? Probably. Will it lose them more than they're "saving" by dropping the license? Maybe, but probably not.

- - - Updated - - -

Naw, all the clubs and players are still in the game, so Ultimate Team is still gonna be selling lockbox shit like crazy. FIFA is a $1B a year franchise for EA, they're not gonna take too many risks losing the backbone of finances.

They'll produce the last fifa game, and you have to pay to have the ball on the pitch.. Also pay for goals instead of playing...

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Probably not.

They have deals with all the clubs directly so they can still have all the players in the game, they just can't use any FIFA branding etc. And it's probably much, much, much, much cheaper than the reported quarter-billion a year FIFA was asking for for the license.

Will they take a financial hit losing the FIFA brand? Probably. Will it lose them more than they're "saving" by dropping the license? Maybe, but probably not.
    I suppose, being from the UK, it may seem like a bigger deal. EA and FIFA are kinda synonymous over here lol

EA are barely losing anything. The game is changing name and they'll have to make a fake name up for the world cup mode, that's basically it for them.

Rubbish publisher, rubbish franchise.

I suppose, being from the UK, it may seem like a bigger deal. EA and FIFA are kinda synonymous over here lol
    It's a big deal...but let's be real. Folks care more about their favorite clubs and players than FIFA proper. It's the players that sell those Ultimate Packs.

Might just be a UK reaction but i'm more interested in how this effects Sony. Playstation is ridiculously popular with the dudebros for one reason: "fifa bruv, innit" and nothing else. To a degree that puts Call of Duty to shame. Its like the meme about germans and simulator games. Skinheads love their footy game.

No more fifa branding could probably swing the market in these parts even more in nintendos favour.

End of an era I guess, but I reckon FIFA will lose out more on this than EA.

I've not played/bought a FIFA game in like 5 years though.
    I believe you have my stapler...

Quote Originally Posted by Nerph- View Post
    End of an era I guess, but I reckon FIFA will lose out more on this than EA.

I've not played/bought a FIFA game in like 5 years though.
    Their comments are pretty bullish that whoever they give the license to will do better. But I'm not sure how that would work unless EA has non-exclusive licenses for the clubs/players or something.

I don't think it'll save Konami's football game, though. efootball or whatever the game they launched is called was still an unmitigated disaster last I checked.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Their comments are pretty bullish that whoever they give the license to will do better. But I'm not sure how that would work unless EA has non-exclusive licenses for the clubs/players or something.

I don't think it'll save Konami's football game, though. efootball or whatever the game they launched is called was still an unmitigated disaster last I checked.
    Typical FIFA to act like a bunch of twats ;D

Pro Evolution Soccer/eFootball is okay but if you've played a lot of FIFA it's hard to adjust to the differences. For me it felt clunkier, not sure how to really describe it. Not sure eFootball/PES is a disaster though.

The annoyance for me personally was some clubs being exclusive to either game, meaning you get weird names in the other game. Last time I checked out PES you had things like "Manchester Blue" instead of "Manchester City", which sorta ruins it for me.
    I believe you have my stapler...

Quote Originally Posted by Nerph- View Post
    Typical FIFA to act like a bunch of twats ;D

Pro Evolution Soccer/eFootball is okay but if you've played a lot of FIFA it's hard to adjust to the differences. For me it felt clunkier, not sure how to really describe it. Not sure eFootball/PES is a disaster though.

The annoyance for me personally was some clubs being exclusive to either game, meaning you get weird names in the other game. Last time I checked out PES you had things like "Manchester Blue" instead of "Manchester City", which sorta ruins it for me.
    Yeah...sports simulation without the whole "real teams/players" aspect really feels pointless. Hell, even bloody NFL Blitz (at least the N64 version I played and loved the hell outta) featured licensed teams. Not 100% on the players, but at the very least the teams were there.

Okay can we get Maxis back on their own next?

Release your grip EA!

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    It's a bigger loss for Fifa, those greedy fucks.
    why would it be a bigger loss for fifa? soccer is literally associated with religion in basically the rest of the world outside the USA. if anything, this gives fifa the chance to either make their own game they can monetize like ea did or get an even more lucrative deal with a publisher because ea decided to not pay for the license anymore. fifa has numerous better options open to them now and ea is going to be ripoff fifa at best now.

Quote Originally Posted by aceperson View Post
    why would it be a bigger loss for fifa? soccer is literally associated with religion in basically the rest of the world outside the USA. if anything, this gives fifa the chance to either make their own game they can monetize like ea did or get an even more lucrative deal with a publisher because ea decided to not pay for the license anymore. fifa has numerous better options open to them now and ea is going to be ripoff fifa at best now.
    Building a new studio from scratch, especially when your company has no real experience with this, is super expensive and risky. Beyond this, it's unlikely other publishers would offer better deals than EA did, much less have the reach EA would have given how they've grown the franchise in the gaming space.

I'm actually very curious to see the impacts, because EA will still have the official team/player licenses. What's more important to football game fans, having the FIFA license alone or having all your favorite teams/players available to play in a series you've played for decades and remains the same, just without the FIFA brand?

Quote Originally Posted by aceperson View Post
    Create your own studio? Good luck, MLB tried that and their game was garbage.

Shop IP to another publisher? Good luck, only Konami has an established team in place for the sport and they won't pay anywhere near what EA was willing to for it.

Hope another publisher has random interest in the brand? Good luck, no one is gonna try to compete with EA just as people stopped trying to compete with NBA2k and MLB the show to the point where MLB just gave the license exclusively to Sony for the show lol.

FIFA tried to play hard ball but they are not going to find a publisher willing to pay what EA did and won't sell anywhere near the units EA does. Can't take you serious if you think this is a big loss for EA when it will literally be the same game with all the same players and clubs just without FIFA branding on it.

This would be like EA losing the Madden branding but maintaining NFL license, literally wouldn't matter.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2022-05-11 at 03:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Create your own studio? Good luck, MLB tried that and their game was garbage.

Shop IP to another publisher? Good luck, only Konami has an established team in place for the sport and they won't pay anywhere near what EA was willing to for it.

Hope another publisher has random interest in the brand? Good luck, no one is gonna try to compete with EA just as people stopped trying to compete with NBA2k and MLB the show to the point where MLB just gave the license exclusively to Sony for the show lol.

FIFA tried to play hard ball but they are not going to find a publisher willing to pay what EA did and won't sell anywhere near the units EA does. Can't take you serious if you think this is a big loss for EA when it will literally be the same game with all the same players and clubs just without FIFA branding on it.

This would be like EA losing the Madden branding but maintaining NFL license, literally wouldn't matter.
    MLB isn't soccer... the fact that ea was even able to get away with yearly releases of extremely skewed glorified lottery machines speaks to the just how profitable even an average game with the fifa brand would be. of course it wouldn't be easy to setup, but it would pay itself off extremely quickly.