Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    We're talking about the WotLK-era of the game -- I doubt most people posting on this forum these days were old enough to read much less play WoW back then. It's a generational thing.
    Haha what are you talking about Cata was clearly only like 5 years ago right

R...right?

There's always going to be the "never heard of them" crowd, but in this case, I can't really blame them for not knowing. (But they can be blamed for sharing, because no one else cares.) Midwinter hasn't really been "relevant" in a world first race sense since MoP/WoD. They've been within the top 20-50, and even higher in US-only rankings, but that section of the chart is never really focused on.

Only reason I've heard of Midwinter was because of Kripp before he quit.

Still sucks to lose a good guild, but people grow up and guilds become a former shell of themselves and end up being just that - a name.

I'd love to know what a few of the players from big-name guilds back in BC/LK are up to now. Did they grow out of gaming too or just move on to other games, guilds, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    Only reason I've heard of Midwinter was because of Kripp before he quit.

Still sucks to lose a good guild, but people grow up and guilds become a former shell of themselves and end up being just that - a name.

I'd love to know what a few of the players from big-name guilds back in BC/LK are up to now. Did they grow out of gaming too or just move on to other games, guilds, etc.
    From my experience, most of the old guard has either moved on completely or they're playing PoE full time. Oh, and there's Kungen who talks about setting up a WF guild in Classic every three months then quits.

From my experience, most of the old guard has either moved on completely or they're playing PoE full time. Oh, and there's Kungen who talks about setting up a WF guild in Classic every three months then quits.
    Kungen... the reason I made my prot warrior way back in the day. Also, the epitome (and not harping on him in the slightest) of rose-tinted glasses of the glory days of WoW.

But yea, Ensidia, vodka, Paragon, Stars, Blood Legion, For The Horde, et al. I know guilds/players get absorbed, but damn, looking at the top ~50 guilds compared to LK, the only *name* still around is Method.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know if I'd consider that a good thing. "Old" is a common pejorative in the modern WoW community these days. There's a prevailing wisdom that the older you get the worse you are at video games. (Just look at Riggnaros as an example. That guy had Limit Maximum status in the community back when BL was the best NA guild; he's mostly a living meme these days.)
    I don't think "old" and good" are mutually exclusive terms. That's not where I was really trying to go. On that topic I would suggest that MW was good enough/significant enough to be considered a "pillar" guild, whether locally or on at least the national scene. It's not ostensibly good or bad that they're not raiding, the point is that it is noteworthy. They earned their place in WoW history I would think.

On the above though - yeah. Ageism is a thing no matter where you go. I started playing wow in my late 20s/early 30s as a way to kill time while on the road. I've been playing since vanilla, so that gives you an idea of my age. Even so I'm still a good, if not very good, warlock. Am I as fast as I was doing mythic (or then heroic) content? No. That's just life. Would I advertise my age, or answer honestly if asked when joining a group, also no for the obvious reason.

Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    Kungen... the reason I made my prot warrior way back in the day. Also, the epitome (and not harping on him in the slightest) of rose-tinted glasses of the glory days of WoW.
    Yeah, I liked him back in the days but it looks like he grow up, got burned/bored by WoW but for whatever reason he can't let it go and come back like a boomerang for a month or two to complain how awesome the old days were and how bad it is now. At least that's what it was when I last watched his stream like 2 years ago (or even earlier, cant really remember).
    Last edited by Mamut; 2022-05-12 at 06:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamut View Post
    Yeah, I liked him back in the days but it looks like he grow up, got burned/bored by WoW but for whatever reason he can't let it go and come back like a boomerang for a month or two to complain how awesome the old days were and how bad it is now. At least that's what it was when I last watched his stream like 2 years ago (or even earlier, cant really remember).
    Yep. Sadly, I'm somewhat the same way as him. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Eggroll View Post
    Yeah, and that is a dick move.
    WoW is a subscription game, keeping you playing is literally the business model. And players will consume content faster then a studio can produce it, so time gating is a natural thing to do to keep people subscribed.

- - - Updated - - -

Not unusual for someone to long back to, and have troubling letting go of, their 15 minutes of internet fame.

Not everyone gets over having once been someone to a tiny fraction of the population.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Good on Midwinter. They could have gotten out when the gettin' was good though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    Then you get the crying about time gating.
    What's the upside of having currency earn timegated not via a cap, but via only making 2 wings available (which in itself have or had a cap)?

Quote Originally Posted by LordVargK View Post
    What's the upside of having currency earn timegated not via a cap, but via only making 2 wings available (which in itself have or had a cap)?
    I'm not sure but this is the wow community.

If there's no cap, people will act with no self control and cry how they're FORCED to be on 24/7 otherwise they fall behind
    If there's a cap people (and many are the same people so it's not "Different people") will cry about how they're being time gated. It doesn't matter what kind of gate they'll bitch.

Now there needs to be a solution that pleases both groups equally.

If there's no cap, people will act with no self control and cry how they're FORCED to be on 24/7 otherwise they fall behind
    If there's a cap people (and many are the same people so it's not "Different people") will cry about how they're being time gated. It doesn't matter what kind of gate they'll bitch.

Such a solution doesn't exist. Some players simply see certain time gates as more intrusive than others and the moment they feel like a time gate is intrusive, they bitch about it as if Blizzard should stop what they're doing immediately and appease their individual desire.

Quote Originally Posted by THEORACLE64 View Post
    It's not "not too late" - it's called QoL changes they always make towards the end of the expansion.
    Shouldn't we have QOL changes *BEFORE* people get fed up and leave?

What I meant is, that there has always been a cap.
    In 9.0 you could only earn a certain amount of soul ash per week. If you ran the two wings on the highest difficulty, then you've earned all you could and subsequent runs would not give you anything. How is that different from having the choice of running any of the wings, only getting a certain amount of currency, but that amount is not tied to the wing? The only difference would be, that less skilled players would have the opportunity to earn more currency per week, than if they only had the two wings available. Which honestly is an upside.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Another one bites the dust, good riddance, the current WF-environment should be a wake-up-call to blizz to put that shit on tournament-realms already, if they can't come up with good solutions to the endless splits and boost-selling after the fact to finance it and be able to compete on that scene. It's crushing on all participants and dissuades new recruits from engaging in it altogether. Organized boosting is prohibited but a lot of the players "supposedly" selling their loot in splits rather take their payments in boosts and mythic mounts afterwards. The whole thing's turned into a ridiculous circus.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiwack View Post
    Another one bites the dust, good riddance, the current WF-environment should be a wake-up-call to blizz to put that shit on tournament-realms already, if they can't come up with good solutions to the endless splits and boost-selling after the fact to finance it and be able to compete on that scene. It's crushing on all participants and dissuades new recruits from engaging in it altogether. Organized boosting is prohibited but a lot of the players "supposedly" selling their loot in splits rather take their payments in boosts and mythic mounts afterwards. The whole thing's turned into a ridiculous circus.
    That isn't happening and that definitely isn't the reason this guild imploded.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    That isn't happening and that definitely isn't the reason this guild imploded.
    Oh, I forgot you're the authority on all things WoW on this forum
    I've seen it myself by the end of BfA and heard enough stories to believe it in SL. Because it's just "trading" in the end, there's no selling involved, leaving it as a grey area?
    Who can say why MidWinter quit in the end? I know I'm just spitballing but of all people it's certainly not you
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiwack View Post
    Oh, I forgot you're the authority on all things WoW on this forum
    I've seen it myself by the end of BfA and heard enough stories to believe it in SL. Because it's just "trading" in the end, there's no selling involved, leaving it as a grey area?
    Who can say why MidWinter quit in the end? I know I'm just spitballing but of all people it's certainly not you
    "Putting this shit on tournament realms" would have had absolutely no impact on whether this guild disbanded. You used this guild disbanding as a reason to pivot into some weird ass tangent about how you think the game should be designed. I promise you nobody in this guild gives the faintest fuck about any of the off-topic word salad you tossed up and there is a lower than 0% chance Blizzard moves the RWF to tournament realms.

the dude is either trolling or has actual issues upstairs,he rants about how the players back in vanila were SOOOOO good compared to today,then he procees to be unable to clear HALF a mythic raid,it would be funny if it wasnt so sad