• Allow All Addons

106 59.89%
  • Ban Combat Addons, Allow Non-combat Addons

47 26.55%
  • Undecided

3 1.69%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I see this in a simple way, I have more fun playing without addons, it lets me focus on the game and the environment instead of focusing on countdown bars.
    I dunno about banning all addons but if there is a way to only ban combat addons then great lets do it, even Max from limit said that he kind of agrees, so I don't think it would cause as much backlash as people think.

I agree with this. I like addons, but I'd prefer the game without them with everyone on a level playing field. The game could be so much more balanced without the devs worrying about addons.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    OP is so fucking full of misinformation it's borderline trolling.

You are grossly overestimating the role of addons in raiding. Think it through, genius:

Raids won't become easier because addons aren't required to beat those boss - it's just information being shown differently. The bulk of the job is still skill-related. Lots of players love their addons, even in God-favored FFXIV - ACT, plugins and what else. It's just that it's an easier game so they don't influence much. And what the fuck is that thing about people setting up addons in lots of computers? Almost no one does that. Regular players don't keep jumping from machine to machine.

Remove the Weak Auras and the pro players will simply adapt and perform mostly the same. The raids won't become magically easier because those pros can and will achieve excellence with or without addons. Your scrubby ass will still be kept out of the good groups because it's a skill issue happening in the interface between your keyboard and your chair.

There are a billion arguments against addons and yet you managed to fabricate some from your ass.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zelk View Post
    Nope FFXIV has no addons and it doesn't make raiding better and it definitely makes the UI worse
    They do have addons. Mods, plugins and what else. Even a DPS meter with parsing. You just can't talk about it ingame and stream yourself using it like a knob.

Quote Originally Posted by A Chozo View Post
    OP is so fucking full of misinformation it's borderline trolling.

You are grossly overestimating the role of addons in raiding. Think it through, genius:
    I’ll make this really simple. If he is overestimating it, then when was the last time you raided and no one had raid addons on?

Also, did you hear when Ian specifically said they design the raid encounters around these addons?
    Last edited by Royru; 2022-05-12 at 05:15 PM.

Yea no, I'm glad you have no say in how this game is ran. Would be fast and hard rip. You do not seem to understand a lot of the basics. At least it comes off that way in your post.

Guild Wars 2 has no add-ons and it works great.

I'm down for this, just to see Overwolf's complete total meltdown.
    "It's 2013 and I still view the internet on a 560x192 resolution monitor!"

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Royru View Post
    when was the last time you raided and no one had raid addons on?
    That's not my point, I'm saying that if addons were removed shit would remain the same. World First Race won't stop being a full time job, bosses would still be too hard for OP.

The myth that addons are playing the game for the elite players is laughable.

Quote Originally Posted by Eli85 View Post
    Outside of that, banning add-ons is just ... silly, especially considering how slow Blizzard is to implementing UI changes.
    That is one way of thinking. And the other way is that, BECAUSE of addons, Blizzard has no movitation to improve its default UI.

Just taking the bags for example, it has been the same horrible UI since day one, and Blizzard never changed it. If there is no 3rd party inventory addon, I am sure players will rage and Blizzard has to improve it.

And Blizzard could do it better than a 3rd party with less bugs or safety risks. But the existence of addons remove Blizzard’s incentive to do so.

Yes. Addons should be 100% banned. People that get mad at it are bad at the game and need them to do everything for them, then complain theres nothing to do.
    Last edited by willtron; 2022-05-12 at 05:21 PM.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

That's not my point, I'm saying that if addons were removed shit would remain the same. World First Race won't stop being a full time job, bosses would still be too hard for OP.

Ian specifically said they designed the fights *around* these addons. What do you think he meant by that? Like if you had to take a wild in the dark guess, and you were sitting in the room when they were designing a fight… what do you think they would change or stay away from specifically because of addons.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelk View Post
    Nope FFXIV has no addons and it doesn't make raiding better and it definitely makes the UI worse
    The UI is one of the reasons I stopped playing. Their UI is very customizable and props to them for that, but the themes are limited and ugly IMO.

On a broader note, WoW owes much of its longevity to addons. While some addons often go too far, most are just QoL improvements that the devs may never have sunk time into. Nameplate addons like Threatplates, inventory addons like Bagnon, hotbar addons like Bartender...these are all huge UI improvements that I hope retail devs try to emulate in DF. They've emulated popular addons in the past, like raidframes and questing UI addons.

It's time for you to stop playing the game.

Quote Originally Posted by roboscorcher View Post
    The UI is one of the reasons I stopped playing. Their UI is very customizable and props to them for that, but the themes are limited and ugly IMO.

On a broader note, WoW owes much of its longevity to addons. While some addons often go too far, most are just QoL improvements that the devs may never have sunk time into. Nameplate addons like Threatplates, inventory addons like Bagnon, hotbar addons like Bartender...these are all huge UI improvements that I hope retail devs try to emulate in DF. They've emulated popular addons in the past, like raidframes and questing UI addons.
    and some have objectively made the game worse, like gearscore did or the AV premade addon.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

You clearly don't even understand what I am talking about. hehe

10+ Year Old Account
    Its time to just ban anything that gives anyone a competitive edge:

Mice
    keyboards
    hands
    etc

They will have to dumb down raid encounters if they do this.

Encounters are designed around the addons that currently exist. That's why there are tons of mechanics. Look back at molten core bosses, this was before DBM and most addons, and the bosses had like 1 mechanic, maybe 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Royru View Post
    Here is where we really need to be specific here. It is not necessary. You do NOT need these at all. Watching your dps meter, contrary to popular belief, does not increase your damage. I have absolutely no idea where you are getting this idea that you need this at all.
    Being able to get feedback on your performance allows you to improve your performance. Being able to shave and polish at what you're doing is fun and being able to perform better might have prevented that 1% wipe on a boss your guild hasn't cleared yet.

Less finnicky; the dps meters also teach inexperienced players how to play the game. It doesn't just show flat numbers, it shows what abilities contribute to the score, and it shows how that distribution for other players. Which means that players can learn from each other, and instruct how to do things better.

In short DPS meters improve not just an individual player's skill, they also make the game a more social affair. DPS meters should be part of the stock content.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ilookfly View Post
    They've removed certain addons and limited the api multiple times before. Your poll does not reflect this. Do better.
    Yes. Good point. The onus should be on Blizzard to restrict the functionality on addons, not wipe them out altogether. They're too restrained in that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by willtron View Post
    and some have objectively made the game worse, like gearscore did or the AV premade addon.
    Sure. Blizz should ban exploited features/addons when necessary, and they have done that numerous times in the past. But don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. Most addons are optional improvements that certian players love and would miss. And if an addon feels mandatory, that's something Blizz should consider integrating into their own UI.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ashblond View Post
    You clearly don't even understand what I am talking about
    Everyone understood, I'm saying that addons aren't causing the things you mentioned and if you removed then the situation would remain the same.