Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
5
... LastLast
  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashana Darkmoon View Post
    It's definitionally racist to believe there isn't a single member of a species who could learn a certain skill.

    The idea of racial restrictions at all is beyond dumb, unless there is a very specific lore behind it where the skill has to be taught (aka, gatekept knowledge). There's a good reason tabletop games have moved away from it!
    Pretty much this, It's nuts how many wow players are annoyed when a character doesn't represent his racial stereotype. It's not like orc are super pro-warlocks lol

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    ]
    Literally anyone can pick up a weapon, get angry, and start fighting. That's what Warriors are.
    Quote Originally Posted by D3athsting View Post
    Gnome and goblin warriors don't make much sense either
    My issue with Gnome and Goblin warriors is they both are smart enough to know the extreme disadvantage they would be in against all the other races on azeroth.
    But I can justify them because you can assume at least for Gnomes, that they spend their time fighting gnolls and evil Gnomes, goblins probably spend most of their time fighting other cartels.

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    Literally anyone can pick up a weapon, get angry, and start fighting. That's what Warriors are.
    It was already silly that Blood Elves originally couldn't be Warriors. Especially since, even back then, there were Blood Elf NPCs that were obviously just Warriors.

  4. #44
    Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    ...location, location!
    Posts
    13,822
    Quote Originally Posted by StillMcfuu View Post
    My issue with Gnome and Goblin warriors is they both are smart enough to know the extreme disadvantage they would be in against all the other races on azeroth.
    But I can justify them because you can assume at least for Gnomes, that they spend their time fighting gnolls and evil Gnomes, goblins probably spend most of their time fighting other cartels.
    Goblins also had those Bruisers, larger and stronger Goblins that were good at kicking ass and taking names. I think Gnomes mostly made up for it with better equipment and weapons.

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by draugril View Post
    Hooves are actually generally padded and quiet.

    It’s horseshoes that clip clop.
    Maybe tauren hoofs work differently :>
    Ingame quest describes the sound as clacking making it impossible to sneak with.

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Haven't you been paying attention? The current devs don't care about adhering to the lore. You'll take your stealthy cows and your light wielding Orcs and you'll like it! *pukes*
    There will always be instances where game play will override lore. In the original lore, Undead technically shouldn't have been able to be Holy or Discipline Priests. A lot of the references were made in the RPG where in the Horde Player's Guide, there's a quote from an Forsaken who was a priest in life who states: "While I refuse to wield the shadow, the Light has refused me, or so it seems. And so, I am truly a broken man; I learned to wield spears of Light like Uther's knights did in the Second. Without the Light, I am unarmed and unarmored -- but not entirely helpless, as you see." The RPG was not officially declared to be non-canonical until June of 2011, about half-way between Cataclysm and MoP's release. The RPG books pre-date WoW by about a year.

    Now the lore is they can use it, but to do so, or have it used on them, causes them pain. And of course there's the giant retcon we saw in the interlude between Legion and BfA where Calia Menethil was killed by Sylvanas and resurrected by the Light into a "lightforged undead" as some have labeled it.

    Certain race/class combos they will have to, and have already done so in the case of Death Knights, create new lore for them in order to expand the race availability. Demon Hunters are the other main one that they will have to do this with. But in terms of the original classes (Druid, Hunter, Mage, Paladin, Priest, Rogue, Shaman, Warlock, and Warrior) they can just come up with some side-story like how Tauren were blessed with the ability to become Paladins by An'she between Wrath and Cata.

    But honestly, even a lore "purist" can simply refuse to play those combinations if they want to stick to "the lore". Let people play what they want. Personally, I would not mind if Blizzard went a step further and eliminates all combat racial abilities too. It's probably the only good thing that happened in Star Wars Galaxies when Sony Online Excrement released the infamous NGE Publish.

  7. #47
    The bigger question is, what kept Tauren and Draenei from being rogues if it isn't because of a lore reason? Is it a gameplay reason? Did one of the devs just hate the idea of giving out more class/race combos to the game?

    Quote Originally Posted by Florena View Post
    I'm all for it. Throw wide the gates and let people play what they want, come up with their own stories. Why is their orc a paladin? They can come up with their own backstory for it. Player characters are individuals and not every individual conforms to the social norms of their larger society. Just because night elves and draenei don't accept the fel doesn't mean individuals can't deviate from that.
    That's what I'm hoping for with Orc Priests. Simply saying, "Oh because they can, they've always been able to use the Light" is the worst excuse for a class/race combo.

  8. #48
    Don't see why it's a problem, Fel Reaver has been stealthly stabbing people in the back since 2006

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by napoleonmayo View Post
    No tauren or draenei rogues
    Byron begs to differ;


  10. #50
    The Lightbringer Adramalech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    3,409
    In addition to what has already been said in this thread, reminder that on the Subtlety Rogue artifact quest chain, the wielder of the daggers is an Eredar. As in, the same species as the playable Draenei. For the spec known to be the stealthiest of the Rogue specs. In addition to her, there is also yet another Eredar Rogue (this time a male) who is also related to Rogue quests (possibly for the same artifact, don't remember that well) hanging out in the Dalaran sewers.

    Also despite different mechanics as a player, hunters/rangers also possess stealth/camouflage capabilities, and every race can play that class.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tya View Post
    As a warlock, allow me to be the first to say that I get tremendous amounts of joy from watching fear pathing take you to Africa.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drayarr View Post
    Twinking is like going back to school when you are 30, just to be smarter than the other kids.

  11. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by napoleonmayo View Post
    No tauren or draenei rogues
    What do you mean, did you never hear about hoof padding?

  12. #52
    Someone doesn't know how hooves work. Horses only make a lot of noise with theirs, because of the horseshoes underneath. And that's also only on real solid ground (or concrete / cobblestone / etc) otherwise even then they're still relatively quiet.
    If I don't respond to something you tagged me in, assume one of two things.
    1) Your post was too stupid to acknowledge, or
    2) Your post is cringe and not worth replying to.

    Alternatively, if it happens a lot I probably have you blocked due to one of the above things. Thank you.

  13. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryzeth View Post
    Someone doesn't know how hooves work. Horses only make a lot of noise with theirs, because of the horseshoes underneath. And that's also only on real solid ground (or concrete / cobblestone / etc) otherwise even then they're still relatively quiet.
    Tell that to Chris Clarkie.

  14. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by napoleonmayo View Post
    No tauren or draenei rogues
    This guy says hi.


  15. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by napoleonmayo View Post
    No tauren or draenei rogues
    It's magic stealth.

    Not actual stealth.

  16. #56
    Epic! AngerFork's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Right behind you!
    Posts
    1,630
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashana Darkmoon View Post
    It's definitionally racist to believe there isn't a single member of a species who could learn a certain skill.

    The idea of racial restrictions at all is beyond dumb, unless there is a very specific lore behind it where the skill has to be taught (aka, gatekept knowledge). There's a good reason tabletop games have moved away from it!
    I'd argue it's less about whether they could as much as whether they would. Tauren picking up Rogue abilities make sense now that they've seen how other races in the Horde do it & why they do it that way, so they can learn & adapt even with their hooves.

    But when you look at something like a Mag'har Paladin, there are very specific lore reasons why they likely wouldn't. They saw members of their race corrupted & changed by the Lightbound, an army that in the Mag'har view was destroying AU Draenor. If a Mag'har Orc or two decide to pick up the Light as a Paladin, there's likely going to be fear & shunning from the other members of the Mag'har rivalling that of the Blood Elves towards the Void Elves. They've been through this, they know where it goes. Lightforged Warlocks would have similar lore issues...why did they just spend thousands of years fighting demons only to one day decide to just summon them instead?

    Plus, your point about gatekept knowledge is a valid one here as well, especially when it comes to something like DHs. It's one thing to work to learn skills like stealth & martial arts, but quite another to go through the intense horrifying rituals to become Demon Hunters. It's hard for me to see any viable story going forward where that becomes the best solution for a handful of members from every race.

  17. #57
    Nobody told the Satyrs that..

  18. #58
    The Undying Gehco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    FEEL THE WRATH OF MY SPANNER!!
    Posts
    35,764
    Quote Originally Posted by napoleonmayo View Post
    No tauren or draenei rogues
    Sorry but.. Grimtotem can be? Satyr, can as well? They are hoofed? I'm not keen on the idea but.. If they can, then the others can too? Rengari can stealth, I believe? They are Draenei?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    Don't see why it's a problem, Fel Reaver has been stealthly stabbing people in the back since 2006
    You know.. The kill count.. Is amazing considering how unstealthy it is.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

  19. #59
    Brewmaster Pakheth's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    The cold hell known as Norway
    Posts
    1,425
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    You know.. The kill count.. Is amazing considering how unstealthy it is.
    I blame my deaths to the Fel Reaver on the shitty draw distance my old PC allowed. Didn't see it before it was literally right dere, only the quaking foretelling it, but not from where.
    The Storm Giants in Howling Fjord never managed to sneak up on me but by then I had a much better PC lol

  20. #60
    Moderator Aucald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA-US
    Posts
    39,304
    As of Safe Haven, Rogue stealth was shown to be more of a magical effect than a product of moving silently or using physical concealment, so it's pretty much a moot point now.

    e.g.
    WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?. - Terry Pratchett, Reaper Man

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •