Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ...
2
3
4
5
6
... LastLast
  1. #61
    Now if only invisibility would be possible through magic in this fantasy universe.

  2. #62
    Quote Originally Posted by Woggmer View Post
    The bigger question is, what kept Tauren and Draenei from being rogues if it isn't because of a lore reason? Is it a gameplay reason? Did one of the devs just hate the idea of giving out more class/race combos to the game?



    That's what I'm hoping for with Orc Priests. Simply saying, "Oh because they can, they've always been able to use the Light" is the worst excuse for a class/race combo.
    I think in the past it's largely been lore reasons, but now and then a bit of gameplay too. I'm pretty sure the only reason that say, humans couldn't be hunters and blood elves couldn't be warriors when first introduced is solely because they, for whatever reason, didn't want to give any individual race more than six classes. But aside from that, it seems to mostly be tying races to the mainstream culture of the playable faction. There's no reason why draenei can't be warlocks but the Exodar Draenei heavily shun the fel, for example. I think they were restrictive with races on those grounds.

    Then in Cata they wanted to add more combos and stretched the lore a bit. I think the whole 'sun druid' angle of Tauren priests and paladins was made so they could kill two birds with one stone. They wanted a second paladin option for the horde, and they wanted to give the Tauren more races, so they bent the lore a bit to allow it.

    I used to be in support of restricting race/class combos, but after getting into D&D over the last couple years I'm much more in favor of letting people pick what combo they want and let them come up with their own backstory to explain their individual character being a weird combo if they want to. Which is why the Drecthyr/evoker situation has me so annoyed and kind of kills my hope for both the new race and new class they are exclusive to one another. I wish they had not chosen to go in this direction.

  3. #63
    I feel like with all the crazy shit going on in WoW, a technique/spell to quiet hooves isn't far fetched at all.

  4. #64
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashana Darkmoon View Post
    It's definitionally racist to believe there isn't a single member of a species who could learn a certain skill.

    The idea of racial restrictions at all is beyond dumb, unless there is a very specific lore behind it where the skill has to be taught (aka, gatekept knowledge). There's a good reason tabletop games have moved away from it!
    Single headed orges are genetically too dumb to learn say calculus.
    This isn't racism, just biology.
    Last edited by napoleonmayo; 2022-05-13 at 05:28 PM.

  5. #65
    Quote Originally Posted by Florena View Post
    I used to be in support of restricting race/class combos, but after getting into D&D over the last couple years I'm much more in favor of letting people pick what combo they want and let them come up with their own backstory to explain their individual character being a weird combo if they want to. Which is why the Drecthyr/evoker situation has me so annoyed and kind of kills my hope for both the new race and new class they are exclusive to one another. I wish they had not chosen to go in this direction.
    See, I never played D&D, so restrictions or reasons why "X" can't be "Y" makes sense to me and does have something to keep things grounded so you don't get too ridiculous and it doesn't destabilize the world building. Plus in WoW roleplay people find different ways to work in with their occupation in their own unique way. Like a hunter who knows druid magic.

    However, WoW's actual lore at this point is a like a very brittle thin line that without a reason why some races can't be some classes is either because of certain avenues haven't been explored yet, or they have yet they haven't been referenced. Draenei Rogues are something that have existed, not just in WoD with the Rangari, but even in MoP when there was one Draenei, named Mishka (who was more of a medic), who worked for the SI:7 and is classified as a Rogue. And then in WoD there was the first ever Pandaren Death Knight, named Gravewalker Gie, before Shadowlands made every race be accessible to Death Knights.

    I'm not entirely against the idea of Green Orc Priests, but they need to give a plausible reason why Orc Priests are showing up NOW of all times. Hence why I don't like the idea of them saying "Oh they've always been able to use the Light," because then I'll ask So why didn't they give them the option to be priests back in Cata? Or WoD? Or Legion? Or BfA? They could've learned it from the Blood Elves, but that never happens, they could've learned it from the Tauren, but that never happens. They could've even learned it from the Trolls but once again, it never happens. So why wait until now to make orc priests possible?

    There isn't even any evidence to suggest any orcs that can use the Light, the only one that can is Me'dan, but he's a very very special case. It can't be the MU Shadowmoon Clan because almost all of them turned into Fel Orcs (any remaining few that didn't became scouts or peons in Outland). So that just narrows it down to a few possibilities: The Mag'har taught them, Calia gets involved, or the last remnants of the Felblood is gone from their systems and they can use the Light without much restriction.

  6. #66
    The Patient SynDethroc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Arizona, USA
    Posts
    334
    I, for one, am a fan of Blizzard moving towards more of a D&D style philosophy where your race doesn't determine your capabilities; with enough time and training, any class should be able to be any race.

  7. #67
    rogue use magic anyway for stealth.
    so you lose this round.
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

  8. #68
    It's fine. There are so many fantastical things that go on in the WoW world, a stealthed Tauren isn't shattering my immersion.

  9. #69
    Epic! AngerFork's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Right behind you!
    Posts
    1,602
    Quote Originally Posted by Woggmer View Post
    I'm not entirely against the idea of Green Orc Priests, but they need to give a plausible reason why Orc Priests are showing up NOW of all times. Hence why I don't like the idea of them saying "Oh they've always been able to use the Light," because then I'll ask So why didn't they give them the option to be priests back in Cata? Or WoD? Or Legion? Or BfA? They could've learned it from the Blood Elves, but that never happens, they could've learned it from the Tauren, but that never happens. They could've even learned it from the Trolls but once again, it never happens. So why wait until now to make orc priests possible?
    To a certain extent, some of that can be explained away by the amount of time that we've had in-game since game launch until today. Most expansions tend to last for an in-game year in Azeroth, give or take a bit. Those beings that were children at the beginning of WoW (like Anduin) have now had 10 or so years to mature, meaning we are getting new members to the fighting ranks that have been in a multi-race Alliance & Horde since the time they were children. It would be really easy to see a Green Orc child get entranced by a Blood Elf Priest they met in Orgrimmar & want to become just like them.

    This is perhaps a bit trickier for something that takes more than study (such as being a DH) or something that directly conflicts with held values (Lightforged Draenei becoming Warlocks), but it would explain a lot of Core Races branching out to new disciplines they've not yet tried.

  10. #70
    Quote Originally Posted by Woggmer View Post
    The bigger question is, what kept Tauren and Draenei from being rogues if it isn't because of a lore reason? Is it a gameplay reason? Did one of the devs just hate the idea of giving out more class/race combos to the game?



    That's what I'm hoping for with Orc Priests. Simply saying, "Oh because they can, they've always been able to use the Light" is the worst excuse for a class/race combo.
    Iirc, Back before his death Cairne Bloodhoof always believed that you should face your enemy head on rather than stab them in the back. That's why the bloodhoof tribe of Mulgore didn't have Rogues. But, after his death one of the Grimtotem's allied himself with Baine against Magtha and since then the Bloodhoof accepted all Grimtotem defectors. which would have rogues now in the tribe. (This is just a rundown on what i can remember reading years ago.)

  11. #71
    Quote Originally Posted by Futch View Post
    Iirc, Back before his death Cairne Bloodhoof always believed that you should face your enemy head on rather than stab them in the back. That's why the bloodhoof tribe of Mulgore didn't have Rogues. But, after his death one of the Grimtotem's allied himself with Baine against Magtha and since then the Bloodhoof accepted all Grimtotem defectors. which would have rogues now in the tribe. (This is just a rundown on what i can remember reading years ago.)
    That makes sense, and Rogue Draenei have existed since MoP with Mishka being the most prominent example... even though she's a medic, but she's the only Draenei that works for the SI:7

  12. #72
    Cows have sneaked up to me in real life.

  13. #73
    Quote Originally Posted by napoleonmayo View Post
    No tauren or draenei rogues
    Too bad there will be both tauren and draenie rogues. Sucks to suck

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Haven't you been paying attention? The current devs don't care about adhering to the lore. You'll take your stealthy cows and your light wielding Orcs and you'll like it! *pukes*
    What does more even have to do with it? Lol
    Why do those that cry the loudest about "muh lore!" Seemingly know the least about said lore..

  14. #74
    Quote Originally Posted by napoleonmayo View Post
    No tauren or draenei rogues
    *clops very very stealthily*
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

    Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

  15. #75
    Quote Originally Posted by Woggmer View Post
    See, I never played D&D, so restrictions or reasons why "X" can't be "Y" makes sense to me and does have something to keep things grounded so you don't get too ridiculous and it doesn't destabilize the world building. Plus in WoW roleplay people find different ways to work in with their occupation in their own unique way. Like a hunter who knows druid magic.

    However, WoW's actual lore at this point is a like a very brittle thin line that without a reason why some races can't be some classes is either because of certain avenues haven't been explored yet, or they have yet they haven't been referenced. Draenei Rogues are something that have existed, not just in WoD with the Rangari, but even in MoP when there was one Draenei, named Mishka (who was more of a medic), who worked for the SI:7 and is classified as a Rogue. And then in WoD there was the first ever Pandaren Death Knight, named Gravewalker Gie, before Shadowlands made every race be accessible to Death Knights.

    I'm not entirely against the idea of Green Orc Priests, but they need to give a plausible reason why Orc Priests are showing up NOW of all times. Hence why I don't like the idea of them saying "Oh they've always been able to use the Light," because then I'll ask So why didn't they give them the option to be priests back in Cata? Or WoD? Or Legion? Or BfA? They could've learned it from the Blood Elves, but that never happens, they could've learned it from the Tauren, but that never happens. They could've even learned it from the Trolls but once again, it never happens. So why wait until now to make orc priests possible?

    There isn't even any evidence to suggest any orcs that can use the Light, the only one that can is Me'dan, but he's a very very special case. It can't be the MU Shadowmoon Clan because almost all of them turned into Fel Orcs (any remaining few that didn't became scouts or peons in Outland). So that just narrows it down to a few possibilities: The Mag'har taught them, Calia gets involved, or the last remnants of the Felblood is gone from their systems and they can use the Light without much restriction.
    There's nothing to suggest that orcs can't use the light. The restrictions are in place because they try to stick to cultural norms for race/class combos, not any sort of physical imposibility. There's no reason an orc can't use the light, no reason a human can't learn to commune with the elements, no reason a draenei can't become a warlock. It just doesn't fit the feel or culture of that race. My position is just let people play what they want and come up with their own backstory of where the orc learned to use the light etc. With all the race sin the factions comingling at this point, it's no more strange than monks popping up as soon as pandaren balloons landed in the capitals.

  16. #76
    Way to think progressively…
    Quote Originally Posted by TrollHunter3000 View Post
    How the fuck is this trolling?

    Discussing moderation is against the rules. Infracted.

  17. #77
    If a Fel Reaver can sneak up and kill me, I have no problems with a tauren or draenei being a rogue.

  18. #78
    Scarab Lord
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    One path
    Posts
    4,610
    I hope they give taurens stealth animation a cardboard bush to hold and go along with the regular stealth.
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

  19. #79
    Quote Originally Posted by Forteofgray View Post
    I feel like with all the crazy shit going on in WoW, a technique/spell to quiet hooves isn't far fetched at all.
    What about hooves being covered in microscopic hairs that dampen sound?
    Also some of them can climb on walls.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

    Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

  20. #80
    Quote Originally Posted by loras View Post
    What about hooves being covered in microscopic hairs that dampen sound?
    Also some of them can climb on walls.
    Spiderpig?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •