Page 1 of 2
LastLast

What is your favorite things from each installment of WoW?

So after a talk with some friends of mine that still play WoW / which plays WoW on and off; I figured it would be interesting to bring the topic of our conversation to this forum. Not only because I enjoy seeing other people's opinions but also because good golly could we have use of a more "strictly positive" tailored thread around here.

As the title suggests; Explain what is your favorite aspect from each installment of WoW (Yes, I say instalment as to include vanilla since that ain't a expansion) Being specific can be hard when talking about things you enjoy; so anything from a big overarching subjects like "I enjoyed PvP all throughout this expansion" to smaller points like "This one ability made me fall in love with X class" are fine, no need to use sandpaper if you have a hard time pinning down "a singular X" - If you have happened to have skipped over or missed out an expansion? Why not tell if there was something from said expansion you heard of or know of that you perhaps would have wanted to see when it was current content. And if you are the type of wisecrack that feels the need to go "There was nothing good about this expansion" then please refrain from commenting at all. Since I am the creator of the thread I figured I can go first:

Vanilla - The sheer scale of the world: I am one of those "lunatics" who loves leveling and how the World of Warcraft felt so massive back then was a feeling that had me in awe for the longest time. I thoroughly enjoyed spending all my time after school just stomping around the big world, discovering the sights it had to offer while leveling my Warlock. Thanks to my father capping a Warrior Tank relatively quick: I did get to experience end game PvE and PvP but even something as grand as fighting Onyxia (The whole, WOW BIG DRAGON thing) honestly fell behind just wandering the open world for me.

TBC - Flying: I did not play a lot of TBC back when it was current content but even now that it's back; I still find flying to be my biggest enjoyment out of this expansion. How some zones is created WITH flying as a key thing in mind, how it literally "opened the skies" and set a president for future traversal in the worlds to come just had me giddy all throughout TBC as I soared around, doing dailies and gathering materials.

WoTLK - Late game Blood DK PvP: I mained a Death Knight throughout WoTLK but I honestly did not really enjoy how RIDICILOUSLY broken they were out the door, it kind of killed the fun - And while still strong even in 3.3.5; I just had a lot more fun with Blood DKs in PvP then. Their playstyle of a Melee-Focused Damage-Eating Self-Healing truck just was nothing but a blast, honestly I think my time with Blood DKs in PvP at the end of Wrath is the most fun I have ever had in PvP all throughout WoWs current span.

Cataclysm - The Dungeons: Cata marked when I began leveling all classes to cap; and unlike the expansions after Cata; I would never sigh when the LFD tool put me into any of the Cata dungeons, I loved them all and especially the later ones - End Time is still one of my top 3 dungeons to this day and all in all I kind of wish they had come up with the Keystone feature all the way back then as I think it would have been glorious with those dungeons.

MoP - Powershot: This ONE ability made me re-roll Hunter for my main and dip back into PvP after Cata had me mostly doing PvE. I have always loved the aspect of "Environmental kills" but knockbacks was usually limited to Melee range (Thunderstorm, Blast Wave, Dragon Roar) or they were kind of medium range and / or did not really have that much knockback (Carrion Swarm, Typhoon) - But then came Powershot and just threw all that out the window and cemented itself as my favorite ability in the game to date, I miss it sorely and todays MM Hunter Bursting Shot and Explosive Knock Back trap; while fun - Just does not hold a candle to Powershot. I just had a blast with this ability all trough the MoP expansion, AB and EoS was great fun!

WoD - Blackrock Foundry: Going back to PvE this expansion and BRF still stands to this day as one of my best raiding experiences, I am so grateful that I got to experience it in it's Mythic glory, it also marked one of my most stressed out moments of my raiding in WoW as I got the Cutting Edge for Blackhand during the last week it was obtainable. Truly a fantastic raiding experience.

Legion - The Artifact System: I just adored the concept, for us adventurers to finally become more akin to the other heroes from Warcraft 3 and get our own signature weapon(s) that would stick with us. Sure the AP grind was a bit of a let down but all in all: the theme - Passives - Abilities and general idea behind the Artifact Weapons was grand to me and it is to this day my most cherished "Expansion feature" - Shame we did not just flip them over in BFA and went "Oh snap, this side has talent points too?!" It's not like we needed to sacrifice their power either since... Wait, why did we sacrifice their powers again... ? Eh, I'm sure it was for something that isn't relevant anymore.

BFA - Horrific Vision: I will not elaborate on this any more than simply saying that I got 13 Cloaks to rank 15 and were still working on maxing out 12 more as the expansion drew to a close. I just REALLY enjoyed the horrific visions in it's entirety and hope it returns in some time walking style later down the line.

Shadowlands - The "Style" of the Legendary system: While a bit too grindy and resource focused, I like the concept they had for the Legendary System, it kind of put my mind back on the Artifact wave with the "We choose ourselves what powerful item we will craft" as opposed to Khadgar just putting a ring on my finger. This spot WOULD have been given to Torghast IF Blizzard had held up their original reveal-trailer promise of having a "Endless" section of the tower that never ended and infinitely scaled. I do like Torghat in it's current iteration but the fact that it has an END is what kills it for me, I wish it had a section that truly just never stopped until you reached like a 100th layer or began having the Tarragrue just start chasing you 5 seconds into a floor.

So what about you? What is your favorite aspect from each installment of WoW?
    Last edited by Rexxgrim; 2022-05-14 at 08:12 AM.

Cata - Revisiting Kalimdor and the EK, with zone revamps and new zones spread out across the place. You got to see what was happening in old places in the current time, as well as get to go on a globe trotting tour to new places. Also transmog.

MoP - streamlined talent tree. Also, superb class design. Also, the stellar music. Good story.

WoD - the Garrison. I love building a base and expanding it and filling it with NPCs, like in Suikoden. Blizzard had the beginnings of a great feature here, but sadly the WoW dev team had fallen into decline by this point. Also, the stellar music.

Legion - The Mage Tower. Like the Garrison, they should have expanded upon the system, added more challenges, and they should not have removed it, but alas. Also, the fantasy world of Argus.

BFA - the only thing I liked about this expansion were island expeditions. Also, the Burning of Teldrassil questline was fantastic, but yet another thing that was removed for no reason. Way to go Blizz!

Shadowlands - Covenants, new factions the player can join. Yet another great idea that was undercooked and never developed, only to be thrown away. The only thing I liked about this expansion was the fantasy aesthetics of floating islands, hyperspace flight paths, the skyboxes, and the fantasy flowers.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rexxgrim View Post
    Legion - The Artifact System: I just adored the concept, for us adventurers to finally become more akin to the other heroes from Warcraft 3 and get our own signature weapon(s) that would stick with us.
    *stick with us for 2 years before being thrown away and forgotten*

I have mixed thoughts on the artifact system. Some of the artifacts were cool. Finally becoming the next paladin to take up the Ashbringer is cool. Reforging the shards of the Frostmourne is cool. And some of the new, made up filler weapons like that Blood DK axe you looted off of a Legion commander was cool. On the other hand, wielding the Doomhammer, the weapon Warchief Orgrim passed to Thrall as a symbol, and Thrall's signature weapon, feels wrong. And some of the filler weapons like the mage staves felt meh. In that case, I think it might have been cooler to have been able to design your own weapon. Mix and match a variety of different blades, crossguards, handles, pommels, accessories like knots, etc, and keep that weapon with you forver. It is YOUR weapon.
    Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss; 2022-05-13 at 10:12 AM.

Vanilla - The world, it was so big and so detailed and felt so alive
    TBC - Karazhan, for obvious reasons
    Wrath - Once again the Zone design, but also the Retribution paladin playstyle and even the DK (after they got nerfed to a reasonable level)
    Cata - The hunter rework, cata hunter was one of the most fun classes they've ever designed
    MoP - EVERYTHING. there was very little that was a miss about MoP
    WoD - BRF, the best raid in the game and the class design, the ability prune. Especially on my Windwalker monk and on Paladin. Another thing I really loved about WoD was the accesibility. No need to grind stupid resources or stupid systems. You coud just log in and Raid. It was hands down the best time in the WoW's cycle to be a raider.
    Legion - the solo content. You could do so much without ever stepping in a group content.
    BfA - Allied races, I absolutely love the added customisation they provide.
    Shadowlands - not much to like here, I did enjoy Doors of Shadow a fair bit, tho

Classic- The world. just that vast damn world. Also, nightelf starting area. Felt like I'm part of something bigger. Rivendell vibes.
    Tbc- Arena pvp. While I was never a big pvper , but fighting in a small scale arena was just so fresh and fun. Also Karazhan.
    Wotlk-Ulduar. Everything about Arthas was just super well made. Also, that damn frostmourne. "My son, the day you were born, the very forests of Lordaeron whispered the name...Arthas." Still get the chills, like the first day.
    Cataclysm- Main rogue, and loved everything about rogue legendary questline. Wish they gave us more of those, class related quests. Never felt more like rogue than back then. Also, Firelands.
    MoP- Just about everything but pandas, from class design, story, Garrosh as an antagonist, amazing continent, maybe to date my favourite few zones, Isle of thunder, Garrosh mythic fight (was hc at the time). Hard to pick, tbh.
    WoD- Loved the theme, loved the continent, old outland was just super cool, many great characters from history of wow, for me the best wow cinematic after Wotlk one. Shame they did not manage to actually pull a great expansion out of such a great theme, that most of us have good connection to. BRF , sick raid.
    Legion- Suramar, one of the best zones to date. Artifact weapons were cool too. Mage tower.
    BfA- Two cool continents. Dazar'alor as the best looking faction hub to date. Allied races.
    Shadowlands- Castle Nathria, Revendreth zone being quite unique and having a great vibe to it. Zereth Mortis. 9.2.5 potentially bringing the coolest end of expansion season.
    Last edited by Smeagolski; 2022-05-13 at 10:29 AM.

Vanilla: The novelty of playing an MMO for the first time, with the huge open world, endless content and countless players. I had never played anything like it, so I was hooked pretty quickly. It took a long time for that sense of awe to wear off.

TBC: Being able to get the best PvP gear just doing ten arena games a week, regardless of winning or losing. It was so nice not having to worry about gear, just logging on and destroying in arena, BGs or world PvP at my leisure after collecting the weekly points.

WotLK: DK. I rarely play it anymore but it was super fun when it came out, and not just for being OP. The original rune recharging method felt so much better, each one recharging from the moment it gets used no matter what. Northrend as a whole was pretty great too.

Cata: Gilneas. The worgen starting experience, the segment of the Silverpine storyline that sends Horde players there, or just hanging out in the empty non instanced version of the zone. Definitely one of my favorite zones in the game.

MoP: The green fire questline for warlock. Other than that and maybe Isle of Thunder as a zone, or the sha, I have zero fond memories of this expansion, and it is easily my least favorite. It genuinely baffles me that it got popular in hindsight.

WoD: The garrison. I know it got old for everyone eventually, and it was a pretty subpar version of the housing people wanted, but I still really liked the sense of having a home base. Having all the little things to do solo in it was nice too for killing time.

Legion: DH, artifact weapons, order halls, class campaigns, the PvP template, the story, the enemies, even the addition of world quests for more solo content. Pretty much everything about Legion was fantastic in my eyes. If I had to pick one though it would be DH.

BfA: Drustvar. It had the most unique, chilling storyline of any zone in the game. The music, atmosphere, everything about it was great. Other than that BfA was extremely lacking, though I have always enjoyed any old god related stuff too.

SL: Torghast. Revendreth is my favorite zone in the game as far as design goes, and all the covenent campaign stuff was excellent. But nothing compares to Torghast, especially in the first patch before the timer crap was added. Easily my favorite PvE content ever in the game.
    Last edited by Itisamuh; 2022-05-13 at 10:29 AM.

Vanilla: Professions, world scale, lack of flying.
    BC: Switching raid size down to more manageable levels, jewelcrafting
    Wrath: DK, Achievements
    Cata: Transmog, the revamp stitching zones together more cohesively was nice as well
    MoP: The switch to better zone design I guess? Honestly not sure. Monk was alright.
    WoD: Race updates, pathfinder.
    Legion: Suramar maybe? Visually and narratively if nothing else. Megadungeon was a nice addition.
    BfA: Allied races, Nazjatar/Mechagon. I enjoyed azerite armor and essences though I understand why other people didn't.
    Shadowlands: New customization system, covenant campaigns, ZM outdoor stuff, Torghast

Vanilla: Old Mega-Dungeons
    TBC:-
    WotLK: The nordic setting
    Cata: flying everywhere, legendary questlines
    MoP: The class gameplay. Especially the Warlock.
    WoD: The leveling
    Legion: M+ and pet dungeons
    BfA: The music of Boralus and Tiragarde sound
    SL: -

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Snip
    I love how every one of your examples can be boiled down to "I wish this expansion feature had been expanded but clearly they just gave up on it early cause it wasn't developed as much as I wanted it to be."

OT:
    Vanilla: Huge zones that they didn't feel the need to have each quest area crammed right next to one another.
    TBC: A very dangerous overworld and a legitimate sense of doom.
    Wrath: Iconic enemy and the beginning of more involved story writing.
    Cata: World revamp and very dramatic.
    MoP: Absolutely gorgeous continent and the introduction of several story hooks some of which still haven't been explored.
    WoD: Loved garrison building and managing, and lots of open world content to do.
    Legion: Artifact appearances we cool, and Suramar storyline. Felt good creating your own city from nothing.
    BFA: All of the zones were gorgeous and Visions were fun.
    SL: Interesting minigames for all the factions, Ember Court is a blast, make it twice weekly like assaults.
    Last edited by cparle87; 2022-05-13 at 10:46 AM.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

7+ Year Old Account
    Vanilla: The big world. Exploring was so much fun. I was a total noob so I did a lot of mistakes but it was still fun. The music was also so lovely.

TBC: Karazhan. To this day one of the most interesting raids in WoW simply due to its scale. A huge tower full og winding corridors and rooms filled with secrets and cool bosses.

Wotlk: The titan lore of the continent and its culmination in Ulduar which to this day continues to be my favourite raid with its music, lore, voice acting and music. It also had a fucking train. Choo Choo!

Cata: Vasj'ir. Such a beautiful zone and honestly I found it easy to maneuver. The sheer size of the zone made it awe inspiring. Transmog is a nice runner up.

MoP: All of it. The music, the zone designs, the lore, the voice acting, the class gameplay, Wrathion and Anduin's little chats, the Legendary cloaks, Thunder Isle, Timeless Isle, ToT, Jade Forest's beauty, the farm, the humor, Lorewalker Cho. I could go on. Very hard to choose one thing.

WoD: The Arakkoa. I was not a huge fan of the theme of WoD but I enjoyed the Arakkoa and their lore. Their models are also really cool and colourful.
    The collections tab is a good second place.

Legion: Hard to pick one thing but I think I must go for the artifact weapons. The variety and designs were great! And the questlines were loads of fun. Unlocking all the different colours and variations made them a very fun pasttime.
    Suramar is a good second place.

BfA: Zandalar and the Zandalari. I love their aesthetic and music and honestly I wish their island was bigger. Horrific Visions is a solid second choice.

Shadowlands: Bastion. It's a beautiful place and I find the music soothing. Revendreth comes close with how good its overall theme is.
    Last edited by Pakheth; 2022-05-13 at 10:48 AM.

Classic: The big world, that was alive, dangerous and new.
    TBC: Arena
    WOTLK: LFD
    Cata: Rated Battlegrounds
    MoP: Monks
    WoD: PvP Gearing & Scalingsystem
    Legion: PvP Templates
    BFA: nothing
    SL: Covenants, before they got butchered to just unnecassary annoying talents to swap on the fly

10+ Year Old Account
    Classic: As others have said, the world was amazing and dangerous. Felt like you were actually an adventurer.
    TBC: Isle of Quel'danas. Thought it was a very effective daily quest hub. Magister's Terrace and Sunwell were also great instances.
    WOTLK: I think the story of Wrath was the most coherent and successful story they've done in an expansion. The Lich King felt like a true threat throughout and when you finally climbed ICC to fight him it was an epic conclusion to one of the most notable characters in the expansion. There are a lot of other things I like about Wrath as it's my favorite expansion.
    Cata: The new zones. Not the revamped old ones, but the actual new zones introduced in Cata. They really sparked a sense of exploration from me. Uldum and Vash'jir were places I just wanted to explore. Also the Molten Front was a pretty cool daily quest hub.
    MoP: Brawler's Guild. Loved the difficult solo fights. There's also a LOT of other things I loved about MoP. Second favorite expansion.
    WoD: The leveling. Very cohesive experience going through the leveling zones. Might actually be the best leveling experience they've ever done because I don't really think it's been surpassed.
    Legion: Class Order Halls. Gave me a fun reason to level up all the classes.
    BFA: The Zandalari and their lore. Love the Trolls, so it was nice to get a Troll race that gear doesn't always look goofy on.
    SL: Uhhh... I guess the covenant stories, but they ruined it by giving them player power.

Vanilla - the leveling. The journey to 60 was just awesome as everything was new and shiny.
    TBC - when i actually started raiding and discovered how fun was to beat big dragons in a group.
    WotLK - most fond memories are about playing in a serious competitive guild and starting coding my addons. And Howling Fjord.
    Cata - i suppose the legendary daggers, and also the first real drama associated to "if you want to stay on the top, you need to be an asshole".
    MoP - everything. I loved it, i love pandas and i was so much into it that it was my real first burnout with the game. I stopped for a while and returned when Throne was already out and nearly finished (but managed to kill Ra'Den and King HC).
    WoD - again, leveling. Raids were good but the game was devolved into a glorified farmville and i wanted more. Plus friends were just leaving left and right so i don't have many memories of WoD.
    Legion - actually started late and always thought the expansion has never been really good up until 7.3. Mage Tower was very cool even if i never bothered doing it.
    BfA - for the third time, leveling. It was really good, i loved the zones stries and side quests and played both as horde and alliance. Too bad if you didn't like m+ the game was shit and you were just constantly lagging behind.
    SL - i suppose again leveling and raids, and this time M+. Once i stopped really caring about progression and gear, and just took it the opposite way (want KSM and Curve, gear is just a tool to reach that) i found the game to be much more enjoyable especially because i don't feel anymore the need to be on par with other people.

So, basically everything that's modern WoW basically sucks to me cause i cannot unsee that all the "systems" were basically glorified arbitrary roadblocks to make the game slower and make people pay more sub. Everything was just adding extra steps in between level cap and actual raids/dungeons. Hopefully DF will go back to the roots - i don't care if content "lasts" only so much, because i am happier when i am done doing things than to have to run to do them before the time runs out.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

7+ Year Old Account
    Vanilla: like the whole experience and mostly first raids like mc and ony
    TBC: kara + new talents that made gameplay smoother and better
    WotLK: LICH KING and furry warr/blood dk tanking in late exp <3
    Cata: firelands and hmm dungeons in general
    MoP: hunter and pandas !
    WoD: hm garisson at start witch became solid social breaker :P
    Legion: DH, story, world and artifacts
    BfA: dunno like none i get bored and tired a bit. Maybe horiffic visions and last patch in general.
    SL: convenants, M+, 9.0 was great at the start and 9.2 is good. Mid between was sooo def and boring.

TBC: Alliance Shamans

WotLK: Death Knights

Cataclysm: The dungeons (and the villain, Deathwing was great)

MoP: Monk

WoD: AU Gul'dan

Legion: Artifact weapons (RIP)

BfA: Allied races (I guess?)

Shadowlands: Craftable legendaries
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

Vanilla: The "oh wow!" of how revolutionary this new MMO was. Also the forums were the best. You could have a conversation with people and there were no armories for people to troll/stalk and invent reasons to avoid answering your questions using irrelevant information. They've now evolved into a bad state like this forum where you'll get banned for disagreeing with a moderator's personal opinion.

TBC: Flying. Made herbalism much less tedious.

Wrath: DPS Blood DKs

Cata: Dungeons

MoP: Awesome solo player progression system without the shitty M+ system

WoD: Leveling quests

Legion: Artifact weapon system and class halls

BfA: Dark Iron Dwarves

Shadowlands: Nothing really
    Being assertive is NOT trolling. It's alarming how many people (including moderators) still have not got that memo.

OG: The wonder of it all, hard to believe a game and world like this existed... I think WoW's world is still the benchmark for all games.
    TBC: Stepping through the Dark Portal, the wonder continues.
    Wrath: Ridiculously epic Northrend and story.
    Cata: I liked the dungeons, the zones were nice looking, but them existing in vacuums was a disappointment.
    MOP: Cata chased me away unfortunately, loved the classes for the little I played.
    WoD: Dreanor was pretty amazing... if not for cut content, I think this would have been the best expansion even with stupid timetravel shenanigans.
    Legion: Class orderhalls.
    BFA: Zones were amazing, Bwonsamdi.
    SL: I'm down for the concept of covenants, but their execution (giving them skills/abilities, I don't like the token rep system) left a lot to be desired.

Vanilla - class fantasy tediousness. I genuinely miss having to do things like level up a lockpicking/poison making skill as a rogue and keep my reagents up, especially with class quests woven into it. I'll also agree on the scale of the world element, which I'll touch on in SL.

tbc - Nagrand, no further comment.

wotlk - howling fjord, no further comment.

cataclysm - world revamp. We lost the aforementioned class quests, but basically every vanilla zone was either massively or at least significantly improved overall. When I level alts, I go here first.

MOP - oddly enough the farming minigame.

WOD - new character models. and higher res cutscenes. Hated just about everything else.

Legion - class and profession fantasy questlines. Motivated me to play all classes and professions for the first time ever. Mage Tower also gave me a goal to motivate me to gear. Bringing it back is very good, but the fact that I can't improve my chances of winning with gear removes a major element of it for me. Titans forbid I actually get better at my class.

BFA - Saurfang's cinematics. Closest to a WOW movie we've gotten. Warcraft is a Warcraft 1 movie.

Shadowlands - The Maw. I really wanted to pick ardenweald for the aesthetics, seriously drop-dead gorgeous perfect in every way, but the Maw for gameplay. The 9.0 Maw with the limited mounting and the scaling difficulty as you linger there. Like the Mage Tower, it was solo content that wasn't required for progression in raiding and dungeons but that required me to gear up to take it on. I want more of this going forward. If, like a lower wing of torghast or heroic-only island expeditions, I can get away with not bothering to gear, I'll pick the easy, boring route.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    Shadowlands - The Maw. I really wanted to pick ardenweald for the aesthetics, seriously drop-dead gorgeous perfect in every way, but the Maw for gameplay. The 9.0 Maw with the limited mounting and the scaling difficulty as you linger there. Like the Mage Tower, it was solo content that wasn't required for progression in raiding and dungeons but that required me to gear up to take it on. I want more of this going forward. If, like a lower wing of torghast or heroic-only island expeditions, I can get away with not bothering to gear, I'll pick the easy, boring route.
    I actually agree. I liked that I was able to completely ignore the Maw. The only downside about it is, that the battle pets spawns are very sparse.

Vanilla : probably just Kalimdor as a continent/space to explore in general.
    TBC: Arakkoa
    Wrath: Tone and music of Northrend, especially Howling Fjord.
    Cata: Playable Goblins.
    MoP: Zandalari/Isle of Giants dinosaur stuff in 5.2.
    WoD: Model updates.
    Legion: truer Melee Survival Hunters w/ Artifact.

BfA: .. have to cheat here and do more than 1. Zandalar and Kul Tiras both are mesmerizing both visually and melodically, but feature-wise I was really into Island Expeditions.
    and the Arathi/Darkshore updates bfa was made for the ones like me in the back of the room lmao.

Shadowlands: Ardenweald tone/vibe/music. Sometimes properly spooky, often very deeply mystical, and sometimes a bit more whimsical.

Starting from Wotlk since that's when i started playing

Woltk: Death Knights probably since i maind it the moment i reached 55 with my Paladin

Cata: Transmog

MoP: Pandaren and monks

WoD: Character model updates...

Legion: Demon Hunter

Bfa: I suppose the allied races

Shadowlands: Zones like Ardenweald and Maldraxxus