Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
5
13
... LastLast
  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by Celement View Post
    Are you tired of characters marred by writers putting in their own thoughts and attitudes forever tainting franchises by denying them mathematically generated token characters?

    Well wait no more the future is now!

    https://www.activisionblizzard.com/n...ity-space-tool
    Now that's just genuinely sickening.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

    Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

  2. #42
    Pandaren Monk rogoth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    in the land of killer unicrons
    Posts
    1,789
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    The sort of person who thinks a female character having a girlfriend is "being forced to be gay".

    "waaaah some of my best friends are gay" lmao, okay.
    when overwatch first came out none of the characters had a sexuality, know why?, because it had NO FUCKING BEARING on the gameplay of the game, yet months after launch some of the woke brigade posted on the official forums and blizzard shoehorned tracer being a lesbian, then followed it up with the soldier 76 stuff, so yes, she very much was 'forced to be gay' thanks to the vocal minority on the official forums at the time who screamed about a fucking character pose being too sexualised.

    also, thanks for making my point for me showing that you have no point to make and are just out to try and take shots at people you don't agree with and i find it pretty offensive you would dismiss some of my closest friends in such a pathetic manner because it doesn't agree with your narrative, get some fucking perspective then crawl back under your rock you pathetic waste of oxygen.

    retired march 2013 RIP - returned january 2016, purely because paladins finally get Ashbringer!

  3. #43
    The Insane Val the Moofia Boss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    16,094
    Quote Originally Posted by Sialina View Post
    You people in favor of this, I'm assuming most of you are either American or European, have you ever seen an American person in an anime
    Gosh, I wish we were as awesome as anime makes us out to be!


  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by Sialina View Post
    You people in favor of this
    literally fucking who...? listen, I hang out in some of the most SJW, blue haired, Xe gendered, "safe space" discord servers that exist. and trust me when I say that the consensus to this news from everyone is: "what the fuck is wrong with this company?"

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    when overwatch first came out none of the characters had a sexuality, know why?, because it had NO FUCKING BEARING on the gameplay of the game, yet months after launch some of the woke brigade posted on the official forums and blizzard shoehorned tracer being a lesbian, then followed it up with the soldier 76 stuff, so yes, she very much was 'forced to be gay' thanks to the vocal minority on the official forums at the time who screamed about a fucking character pose being too sexualised.

    also, thanks for making my point for me showing that you have no point to make and are just out to try and take shots at people you don't agree with and i find it pretty offensive you would dismiss some of my closest friends in such a pathetic manner because it doesn't agree with your narrative, get some fucking perspective then crawl back under your rock you pathetic waste of oxygen.
    When Overwatch first came out all of the characters had backstories and then lore comics started coming out. Tracer's comic happens to involve her girlfriend. I get that for you, that's very upsetting because you assumed she was straight and were busy treating her as waifubait, but that doesn't mean she was forced to be gay. Was Ana forced to be straight when she was established as Pharah's mom?

    So weird how you're not complaining about Torbjorn being forced to be heterosexual. None of the characters had a sexuality right? They just pushed that onto him! Where's your seething rant about them giving him a wife? No bitching and screaming about how Widow's story involves her husband, eh? How strange, your anger over characters being given a sexuality and partner in supplemental media only seems to extend to the gay characters.

    But I mean your cLoSesT fRieNdS are tOtaLly gAy, so there's no way you could be upset about characters being gay.

  6. #46

  7. #47
    Pandaren Monk rogoth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    in the land of killer unicrons
    Posts
    1,789
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    When Overwatch first came out all of the characters had backstories and then lore comics started coming out. Tracer's comic happens to involve her girlfriend. I get that for you, that's very upsetting because you assumed she was straight and were busy treating her as waifubait, but that doesn't mean she was forced to be gay. Was Ana forced to be straight when she was established as Pharah's mom?

    So weird how you're not complaining about Torbjorn being forced to be heterosexual. None of the characters had a sexuality right? They just pushed that onto him! Where's your seething rant about them giving him a wife? No bitching and screaming about how Widow's story involves her husband, eh? How strange, your anger over characters being given a sexuality and partner in supplemental media only seems to extend to the gay characters.

    But I mean your cLoSesT fRieNdS are tOtaLly gAy, so there's no way you could be upset about characters being gay.
    no they didn't, they had ingame lines that would play when they interacted, the backstory stuff didn't come out until after the game launched, as to your boring narrative with no point, the first tracer comic that showed her to be gay was released in december of 2016, 7 months AFTER the game launched, and a few months after the forum drama that caused the devs to shoehorn tracer being gay, but keep telling me how i'm wrong when it's abundantly clear not only were you not around back then, you clearly have no clue what you're talking about and are continuing to try and take potshots at me because i'm making your narrative fall apart, and as for your strawman about widowmaker, her backstory was interesting because it explained WHY she was how she was in the game, the tracer comic that was launched MONTHS LATER had literally nothing to do with her in game persona, it was a purely fluff piece to show the woke brigade 'hey look we have a gay character struggling to buy her girlfriend a gift for christmas give us brownie points plz' it had nothing whatsoever to do with the game, but don't let that stop you from spewing your isms and phobes at me and others because it doesn't agree with your viewpoint.

    this is the last time i'm going to respond to you because not only are you derailing the conversation with this asinine bullshit, but i'm bored of you're pathetic attempt to get a rise when you have no legitimate point to make, so have fun living in the pathetic bubble you clearly do because i would pay good money to watch your face when it pops and you're shoved into the real world.

    retired march 2013 RIP - returned january 2016, purely because paladins finally get Ashbringer!

  8. #48
    So, basically proceeurally generated NFT-like characters.
    You tried, and you failed. What have you learned? That's better not to try at all.

  9. #49
    The Insane Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Land of moose and goose.
    Posts
    19,745
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    the games i listed were and are so woke to the point it caused them to fail to meet sales targets, as well as see massive player drop off due to the sheer amount of box ticking performed that detracted from the overall gameplay not even getting started on the plethora of bugs and other issues that have become normal it seems these days.
    Two of the game's you listed sold incredibly well with overwatch doing something like over 20M and last of us 2 being the fastest selling PlayStation 4 game or some such, Don't Know about the other one's but those two didn't fail to meet any sale targets.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    in regards to wolfenstein i couldn't care less, the last time i played a wolfenstein game it was on my first frankenstein built PC back in the 90's, i only know of the recent controversy due to the headlines that went flying around everywhere online at the time, and if it caused so many negative headlines and lack of sales then yes, it had a DIRECT IMPACT on the quality of the game, i don't know what 5th dimension metrics you are using to measure these kinds of things but that to me is an immutable fact.

    you should rly try the wolfenstein games from new order to new colossus,they all got rly good scores,and feel very doom-esque with some plot added

  11. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    no they didn't
    they did, they still do.....

    regardless, your focus on farming PR brownie points and ignoring the egregious work environment and leadership that drove entire dev teams into a willy coyote style fake wall is why we're not accepting your take on why OW is slipping.

  12. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by Graeham View Post
    It's pretty weird and creepy, though I guess that's exactly what we get from a cult-like desire to pander and deflect.

    I'm gay. I don't need every game to have a gay character front and centre in order to enjoy it, though. Nor do I enjoy seeing what is quite obviously little more than a blatant attempt to generally only champion 'visual' diversity as diversity.

    Put an Irish, Polish, Scottish and Swedish guy in the same room who are all Caucasian and that's a whole lot of diversity right there.

    I loathe being treated like a box on a list to fill in with a 'tick' to say that I'm present. It's just...so bizarre a mentality to me.
    Yeah, especially in high fantasy settings, your going to have straight white men as the action characters because high fantasy is based on medieval, roughly, Europe.

    But I'm a world with orcs, and trolls, and goblins, etc, you can base their cultures on anything you like, or use an RNG generator like the op did. Problem is if characters are too random, the game will feel awkward because the groups/societies in the game won't feel cohesive it realistic.

    I think for all the dumb shit that blizzard is going through, they made their games with plenty of diverse culture before this modern wave of nonsense.

    I always loved how tauren and trolls used native American and Caribbean culture. We got some of the ancients like Rome with the old night elf architecture, and we got some African from the maghar clay domes, some Muslim from the new night elf phrases, Indian from the Draenei, etc.

    Overwatch was a masterpiece about diversity. Picking people from a random countries in a quite utopian future.

    But this RNG character generator is not going to lead to memorable characters or worlds.

  13. #53
    The Insane Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Land of moose and goose.
    Posts
    19,745
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    Yeah, especially in high fantasy settings, your going to have straight white men as the action characters because high fantasy is based on medieval, roughly, Europe.

    But I'm a world with orcs, and trolls, and goblins, etc, you can base their cultures on anything you like, or use an RNG generator like the op did. Problem is if characters are too random, the game will feel awkward because the groups/societies in the game won't feel cohesive it realistic.
    While things can be to random There's really no reason actual Human race's should ever really meet that bar in a fantasy setting.

    Or to quote the discworld.

    Racism was not a problem on the Discworld, because—what with trolls and dwarfs and so on—speciesism was more interesting. Black and white lived in perfect harmony and ganged up on green.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

  14. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by glowpipe View Post
    What i just don't get is why does everything have to be so retarded now days? Transgenders, 1-2% of the worldwide population. lgb is what. 10 or so percent worldwide?
    It's probably not even that much. And the numbers are inflated because "trans" preys on people with other underlying mental illness. Like those on the autism spectrum, or middle aged men, or teenagers.

  15. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    It's probably not even that much. And the numbers are inflated because "trans" preys on people with other underlying mental illness. Like those on the autism spectrum, or middle aged men, or teenagers.
    Interesting choice of words.

  16. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    Interesting choice of words.
    I'm not saying anything remotely controversial.

  17. #57
    Brewmaster Goatfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    The Stars
    Posts
    1,436
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    You haven't walked past or near 100 people in your life? Are you a two week old baby in an isolation unit?
    That's not how statistics work. Just ask the people who have killed the same boss 1000+ times trying to get that 1% drop rate.

    I don't like the idea of this tool personally, but if used properly it might be alright. If you are portraying a place like North Korea there is going to be very little diversity. In most fantasy history, the majority of fantasy races are much more similar to North Korea than they are to Uganda where your chance at being from a the same background as someone else is under 10%. Granted there is some effort to rewrite that, but nerd fandoms are ruthless, just look at the hate for the new LOTR show, or Stargate.

    It looks like it's being used for a lot of other factors than race. As long as it is consistent and we aren't looking to satisfy woke hipsters but actually portraying different societies that are going to have vastly different outlooks on life it's probably ok.

    What I imagine is going to happen instead, is that this tool is going to be used to please far left California hipsters by turning all the "good guys" into incredibly liberal diverse casts that live in utopia and are accepting of everyone, but all the "bad guys" are going to be nationalistic conservatives who eat babies and want to enslave everyone while living in dirty squalor. Then they can just blame it on the tool and try to pass it off as the robot making propaganda instead of them.

    The smell test for me is going to be if they decide to make raging blue-haired alphabet person responsible for any wrong-doing ever, or communism ever being displayed as bad. After that, as long as it is used responsibly and consistent with lore, it doesn't seem the worst. A few loud and annoying people just want to live their fanfiction, the rest of us want to enjoy the fiction.

  18. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    I'm not saying anything remotely controversial.
    You listed Middle age men and teenagers as examples of mental illnesses.......I would classify that comment as a lot of things i wont say here, however controversial is certainly one of them (and the tamest of the lot)
    Last edited by arkanon; 2022-05-14 at 05:02 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    I like WillE just as much as the next guy
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    i have several gay friends at work, and i know at least 6 other gay people

  19. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by glowpipe View Post
    What i just don't get is why does everything have to be so retarded now days? Transgenders, 1-2% of the worldwide population. lgb is what. 10 or so percent worldwide?

    Chances that you have ever seen a transgender walking past you or near you irl is slim to non. So most people have probably only ever seen one on TV. So why the actual fuck is now written in stone that they have to be in EVERY single movie, tv show and game ever made? And a characters sexual orientation, why does that even matter? When im at the hospital, i don't give a shit if my nurse or doctor is gay. They are there doing a job, and everything beside that, is non of my business. So why do we need to know a characters sexual orientation in movies, shows etc? It shouldn't matter to anyone. I don't care if the bad guy im about to kill is gay or not. I care about why he is the bad guy im there to kill. And more often than not now. The only important backstory for gay characters, is that they are gay and everything else is a second thought, this is fucking backwards.

    We are gonna reach a point where they realize that pleasing the minorities by pissing of the vast majority, won't make you more money. Make good shit for everyone, instead of preying on a marginalized group to get their money as their money is the important part
    i'm at a point now where i assume that this is purely done because it generates a lot more attention, not because they want to cater to a specific demographic. if everyone talks about your product it does not matter why they talk about it. more coverage, more sales

  20. #60
    Brewmaster Goatfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    The Stars
    Posts
    1,436
    Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    Interesting choice of words.
    Are you suggesting that social influence isn't a real thing?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •