17 7.23%
  • I am Horde and changing to Alliance

12 5.11%
  • I am Alliance and remaining Alliance

104 44.26%
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    People have been switching to the red team for nearly a decade. There was a mass exodus of raid guilds to Horde around MoP and there has been a drizzle to red team ever since. It's just that since last year, attrition of the Alliance population has finally reached critical levels.

The Horde is what is unique about WoW. Not other game lets you play as the warmongering savages, or as beastmen, or as undead who are crafting a plague to wipe out all life on Azeroth, or sinister elves who suck the lifeforce out of their victims. The Horde has all of the cool races. People who like Alliance aesthetics (ie, heroic humans, pretty elves, etc) have an easy time transitioning to other games, decreasing Alliance's population. People who like Horde aesthetics don't have an alternative game with similar aesthetics and are more likely to stick with WoW. WoW has been in decline for a decade so over the years you just wind up having more reds than blues.

It was only until the last few years when the snowball effect started kicking in. Standing in the middle of a ghost town Stormwind feels bad. People want to be on the side where they can hang out with other people. The average WoW player isn't a teenager with unlimited free time anymore. It's hard to progress on Alliance and you have to spend a lot of your precious free time waiting for groups to fill, if they even do. If you're red then you don't constantly get ganked in war mode. Even PvErs want to do war mode because it gives them an EXP buff. Playing Horde gives you an objectively better game experience. People who like Alliance aesthetics can enjoy the benefits of being on the red team while still playing a pretty human looking character by rolling Blood Elf.

Not much. You can allow players to queue and raid crossfaction, which will enable people who truly like the Alliance to switch back and still be able to effectively play, but I'd imagine that the remaining fandom at this point is overall Horde for the aforementioned reasons.
    HAHaha thats crazy man, interesting take on it, cannot say I agree, I don't really, but its certainly an interesting point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by Divada View Post
    Lol they fixed that real quick. Which tier were goblins the best in for a while cos of their rocket jump? And didn't trolls have a while in the sun too cos of their racial?
    kiljaeden cause of getting pushed,but that wasnt as much of an issue as dwarfs would be to nulify a strong raid dot lol,it happened for horde in bfa with jaina and trolls,they changed that so any argument of weird pro horde bias isnt rly a thing

anyways,there isnt really anything they can do,buffing aliance to much wouldnt fix it

just make everything cross faction already,including guilds,and change all racials to no longer have actual power

also i know this poll doesnt mean much but its still funny aliance is ahead

5+ Year Old Account
    The Horde is what is unique about WoW. Not other game lets you play as the warmongering savages, or as beastmen, or as undead who are crafting a plague to wipe out all life on Azeroth, or sinister elves who suck the lifeforce out of their victims. The Horde has all of the cool races. People who like Alliance aesthetics (ie, heroic humans, pretty elves, etc) have an easy time transitioning to other games, decreasing Alliance's population. People who like Horde aesthetics don't have an alternative game with similar aesthetics and are more likely to stick with WoW. WoW has been in decline for a decade so over the years you just wind up having more reds than blues.
    That's actually a really interesting and good point. If you're the type whose enjoyment is influenced by that sort of thing, this could have a big impact on you.

The Horde also better fit the energy the devs wanted the game to have as well (in terms of the early 2000-2010s obsession with 'epicness' and metal/punk rock inspo). I can't think of a single time they even tried to present the Alliance as cool. Just the alternative to the trendy problem children...

I think they tried with Varian and the worgen but it felt forced to me. Very blue Horde vibes
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."

Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post

also i know this poll doesnt mean much but its still funny aliance is ahead
    I think that indicates that the people who are most concerned with faction imbalance and would look into this thread are the ones on the losing end of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    I think it would be cool if we could unlock other racials by getting exalted with their factions such as Arcane Torrent with exalted Silvermoon as well as getting the Allliance equivalent just in another color.
    That would be a cool addition, though, it would make it harder to unlock cross-faction unless you just have to be race faction exalted on one character.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

According to several sources, the faction imbalance on both retail and classic is at an all-time high. The active player-base makes up of 80% Horde and 20% Alliance and is dropping even lower. Several Alliance dominated servers are seeing a growth in Horde population and a decrease in theirs as many people faction change their characters. Cross-faction raiding and dungeoning comes in 9.2.5 but will it even be enough to stop the numbers? It's a huge no from me. Perhaps it is time to remove the factions entirely from the gameplay and just keep them incorporated in the story to have faction pride available. You also should be able to use 'war mode' and choose a faction to support but this would easily be abused.

At this point, the game is 18 years old. What can be done at this point?
    If there are several sources, can you edit your first post to include them? Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Neuroticaine View Post
    It's bound to happen when one said has generic, copy-paste, high fantasy races, and the other side has slightly more interesting races with a little bit more unique lore.

Letting people play cross faction is about the best you could do at this point.
    That's a weird way of saying "The Horde is more popular because it got pretty elves".

- - - Updated - - -

I think the exact opposite is true: People play the Horde, because the Horde has the most pretty race. Evident by the fact that about 40-50% of all Horde characters are BElves.

Quote Originally Posted by LordVargK View Post
    That's a weird way of saying "The Horde is more popular because it got pretty elves".

- - - Updated - - -

I think the exact opposite is true: People play the Horde, because the Horde has the most pretty race. Evident by the fact that about 40-50% of all Horde characters are BElves.
    If everyone plays Belf that more shows the opposite, that the Horde doesn't have a lot of pretty races and everyone flocks to the same one.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Quote Originally Posted by Gurg View Post
    This is true and will be true. But again, there will always be more Hordish players due to aesthetics and diversity of the races.
    That is just BS. The reason horde escalated were OP racials.

For me, factions should have just been removed at the end of Legion. The heroes of Azeroth worked together more than at any other point, our allegiance was to our class order and the Legionfall army while our factions proved incompetent. We could have ended with a general truce while splinter factions from both sides could split and maintain the war; establish proper PvP faction bases for each side with at least a few NPCs from every race moving there (every race has them) and have War Mode be based on that. Then instead of the faction war shock story have an N'zoth story for BfA. Tie in Shadowlands using Bolvar instead of villain batting Sylvanas (not that she needed the bat, probably just a shove).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Swnem View Post
    That is just BS. The reason horde escalated were OP racials.
    Pretty much, at least when it came to raiding population things only starting going out of control in MoP were multiple Horde Racials just synced too well. It wasn't even that the racials were that broken; the main issue was the fact that all proc trinkets would effectively proc on pull which meant that all active damage racials suddenly became OP. Beastslayer also helped to some extent. MoP alone saw the biggest population shift. Then you had things like Arcane Torrent being OP in M+ Legion, Rocket Jump for KJ, Voodoo Shuffle for Jaina; none of those were because those racials were inherently OP but rather the Horde got the better synergies (Alliance did have Shadowmeld for skips in M+).

This is why the issue started. Now after the competitive PvE population was somewhat skewed the reason became entirely different; recruitment in an ever diminishing pool was a much bigger issue than racials as time went on.

Cross faction might help but they need to find a solution for cross-faction guilds (and they need to incentivize doing instanced content while in a guild over PuGing imo so that means guilds have to be revamped anyway).

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    If everyone plays Belf that more shows the opposite, that the Horde doesn't have a lot of pretty races and everyone flocks to the same one.
    That's one and the same. Most of the Horde's races are unpopular. But they also have the most beautiful race. So half of the Horde's players are not there for the monsters, but for the beautiful race.
    The Horde has not been the monster faction since TBC. I'm just opposing the "Horde has more interesting races because they are less generic"-argument. No. The Horde is THE Elf faction of WoW.

15+ Year Old Account
    Racials should not effect combat only visual effects.

All races should have unique spelleffects to match it's race across all classes when needed.

So you can play whatever you like and maybe restore some balance? I am also for mixed horde and alliance dungeon and raid groups, maybe even community groups.
    Last edited by shade3891; 2022-05-16 at 10:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by shade3891 View Post

All races should have unique spelleffects to match it's race across all classes when needed.
    Pretty much every spec has at least one major offensive and one major defensive cooldown. THey could make racials that simply reskin those. E.g. all Dwarves grow Avatar sized when they use their Offensive cooldown. All Dwarves get stoneform skin when they use their defensive cooldown. Maybe add a minor additional effect.

According to several sources, the faction imbalance on both retail and classic is at an all-time high.
    might as well start with "as the prophecy foretold" if you dont link the sources...

especialy after the very poll in the post seems to be 51/49 rather than 20/80, although thats useless with the amount of people here

Quote Originally Posted by Lolites View Post
    might as well start with "as the prophecy foretold" if you dont link the sources...

especialy after the very poll in the post seems to be 51/49 rather than 20/80, although thats useless with the amount of people here
    Tbh these forums are not representative of the playerbase in any shape or size.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    sure, as i said, thats why i asked for those "several sources" to see if any of them have at least grain of reliability

Just like the several unnamed sources are not representative of the actual faction ratios.

Also didn't vote becasue I play both factions. I raid primarily on my 1 Alliance toon and have 2 Alliance alts. I PuG on my my Horde toons which I have 1 of each class. So people like me throw off these supposedly accurate faction imbalance numbers.

- - - Updated - - -

Pretty much every spec has at least one major offensive and one major defensive cooldown. THey could make racials that simply reskin those. E.g. all Dwarves grow Avatar sized when they use their Offensive cooldown. All Dwarves get stoneform skin when they use their defensive cooldown. Maybe add a minor additional effect.
    They should just make all racials non combat related. Just tie them to profs and fun things that do not have an effect on combat/utility at all.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Unique racials, like most rpgs have and other mmos, only work when races are not faction locked, or its a single player game.

Even back in e everquest where races didn't play well with other races lore wise, players were still not faction/race locked. In EQ2 this was somewhat chnages to the twonstarting cities, Quenos and Freeport, but everyone could still play with everyone.

Unfortunately in WoW races are faction locked, which creates issues.

A solution would be to create a third neutral faction throught the lore, representing races of azeroth that wish to be united. At the end of the tutorial players can chose to stay on their normal faction or a neutral one.

Or even better break down the factions. Make them like other games. Stormwind will always be hostile to ex horde members for example, but we as players are beyond this. The players should be seen as mercenaries and not foot soldiers of the factions. Some cities will remain neutral.

This will also justify pvp as being hired guns for either horde or alliance.

Quote Originally Posted by shade3891 View Post

So you can play whatever you like and maybe restore some balance? I am also for mixed horde and alliance dungeon and raid groups, maybe even community groups.
    It isn't a racial issue anymore.
    It used to be that top guilds went for the strongest racials in order to progress the harder content, but now it's more of a social issue that has snowballed due to popular exposure from top end guilds going horde.

The popular take is that if you want to join hardcore guilds, go horde, as that's where most of the population of people wanting to do that type of content is.
    With the removal of the barrier in 9.2.5, I can see certain guilds reroll into alliance races for their racials, as for High M+ and raiding, as certain Alliance racials are more powerful or useful than the horde ones.

The social aspect is not going to change however. From the outset, people will think horde is the way to go when it comes to doing high difficulty content.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabby
    I'm Commander Crabby, and this is my favorite forum on the website.

There has been a noticeable shift toward horde, you can see there are far more out in the world particularly warmode. One annoying thing is tagging, its an oudated function