View Poll Results: I will press...

Voters
570. This poll is closed
  • Accept

    461 80.88%
  • Exit game

    109 19.12%
Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ...
27
35
36
37
  1. #721
    My main worry is folks abusing the report system; I can already see myself getting time off because some trigger happy millennial reports me for calling him a dingleberry

    I'm American, when I hear other Americans use the word fuck, it almost always just sounds foul to me.

    By contrast, when I hear Brits, Irish or Scottish folks say fuck, its just hysterical. It doesn't sound no where near as foul as when Americans say it, its almost lighthearted the way they use it.

    I guess its good they will be on UK servers so our American triggered generation X can't report them as well.
    Last edited by pahbi; 2022-06-06 at 11:49 PM.

  2. #722
    Quote Originally Posted by Goatfish View Post
    I stopped here because I already knew that the summary of your response was going to be as ludicrous as the source. In no legal profession teaching institution or court would they accept Wikipedia as the source of literally any legal precedent, interpretation, or analysis. It is fraught with errors. Some subtle, many not. Offhand, I know of at least two glaring ones in the field of mathematics that still exist there today.

    In the end, it ended up being another deflection from you. I wasn't surprised. You claim freedom of speech, but it does not apply in this context, no matter how much you attempt to contort it. What matters in a legal sense is the rule of law. You won't find any major landmark cases against Blizzard on that particular front. What they do in their offices, well, that's another story and another context entirely - but still divorced from the in-game speech argument.

    We own nothing in the game. We have only the rights they have agreed to provide us in their agreements which we sign electronically in every expansion. In addition to the OP's reference to the new social contract (which, if we're honest, isn't really new as such but it does define more examples of inappropriate conduct). We agree to this in order to play the game. Claiming free speech applies when it literally doesn't is at best a lie and at worst disingeuous. If you have a formidable intellect, try arguing a more salient point because you have yet to do so. This one was DOA.

  3. #723
    Quote Originally Posted by hambone2626 View Post
    Oh lord did you really call people saying things you don't like as abusers, Ike turner would be so proud.
    try reading the post you were replying to and feel even a little bit embarrassed by this comment.

  4. #724
    Quote Originally Posted by CalamityHeart View Post
    Uh, common sense? That would be more than sufficient for you to navigate the majority of the "things I probably shouldn't say" landmines. I'm pretty sure you're perfectly aware that saying 'fuck these stupid orcs' in-character in an RP setting is not one of those landmines, so I'm not sure why you're trying to paint it like you're afraid it could be.
    Exactly, but you don't know who's listening and what people find offensive. And like I've said a dozen times already: there are topics in game that people find offensive already, and if you talk about them you could hurt someone's sensitivities. It's not about saying inflammatory things, that's a red herring. It's about being able to talk about literally anything.

  5. #725
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    Exactly, but you don't know who's listening and what people find offensive. And like I've said a dozen times already: there are topics in game that people find offensive already, and if you talk about them you could hurt someone's sensitivities. It's not about saying inflammatory things, that's a red herring. It's about being able to talk about literally anything.
    I mean maybe not talk about sensitive stuff in public chat?

    Like I wanna talk about politics stuff and my opinions are spicy!

    Trade? Probably not
    Group chat with friends? Yes!
    Group chat with randos? No
    Guild? Maybe
    LFR? No
    Raid chat with guild? Maybe

  6. #726
    Brewmaster Goatfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    The Stars
    Posts
    1,436
    Quote Originally Posted by Yakut View Post
    I stopped here because I already knew that the summary of your response was going to be as ludicrous as the source.
    This coming from someone who falsely claimed that "yelling fire in a crowded theater" is against the law, this is pretty rich. You do understand there is a difference between ideology and law don't you?

    No one here is making a legal argument, you're just using it as a strawman defense.

  7. #727
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechagnome View Post
    I honestly think you just enjoy fighting. Personally, there are 3 people missing from Proudmoore who were always in General Chat and have not been heard from for days. Anecdotal sure... but it gives me hope I can help eliminate every jerkwad who just wants to act like an asshat til we get back to having few anonymous keyboard cowboys who like to fight, troll, and tell everyone else their words and ideas are the only correct ones. I'm not a fan of passive/aggressive conversation.
    So you don't like other people demanding others adhere to their personal preferences, but have made it clear you want to control who does and does not play the game based on your personal preferences?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Mysterymask View Post
    I mean maybe not talk about sensitive stuff in public chat?

    Like I wanna talk about politics stuff and my opinions are spicy!

    Trade? Probably not
    Group chat with friends? Yes!
    Group chat with randos? No
    Guild? Maybe
    LFR? No
    Raid chat with guild? Maybe
    Is it ok to talk about genocide and murder?
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    I like WillE just as much as the next guy
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    i have several gay friends at work, and i know at least 6 other gay people

  8. #728
    Why would I ever expose myself to you people on WoW, ofcourse i'll accept the social contract because 99.99% of my interaction with/regarding WoW is on discord or literally any other medium than WoW itself.

  9. #729
    Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    Is it ok to talk about genocide and murder?
    Once again context matters....and if you don't get that you probably shouldn't be talking about it but if you need help on that

    Genocide that happened in lore? Probably ok
    Genocide that happened in history: probably not in public channels depends on how you are talking about it but more then likely no
    High profile murder trial? Probably fine
    The MTG card Murder? Definitely ok
    You wanting to murder someone? Not ok
    You believing genocide is the right course of action cause fuck you <insert nationality here> NOT OK
    Graphically talking about violence? Not ok
    Using the term murder to describe how badly someone lost a competition: OK

    Like honestly you gotta ask would your mother slap the shit out of you or would your boss fire you if they heard you talking like that?
    Last edited by Mysterymask; 2022-06-07 at 02:20 AM.

  10. #730
    Moderator Aucald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA-US
    Posts
    38,735
    As this thread has been pretty conclusively derailed into discussing politics and legal issues well beyond the WoW social contract, it will now be closed.
    WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?. - Terry Pratchett, Reaper Man

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •