Page 26 of 40 FirstFirst ...
16
24
25
26
27
28
36
... LastLast
  1. #501
    Quote Originally Posted by FanaticDreamer View Post
    Eh, you're Appealing to Authority on this one. It's a logical fallacy.

    Fun fact: in the 1800s there was a lone doctor named Ignaz Semmelweis who discovered that washing hands in-between handling patients would be beneficial (as we know today) and yet the other members of the medical community shunned him and he lost his job. Were they right? No. In the 1900s it was thought to be a good cure to deal with victims of mental health by cutting out chunks of their brain. Thousands of doctors did this practice while only a minority of doctors spoke against it. Again, were they correct?

    Just because the majority believe something to be true, doesn't mean it is.
    And the answer to mistakes in science is doing more and better science. Science gets things wrong. All the time. That's why it's a process, not a goal - science is what you do to get as close to the truth as you can by self-improving, iterative progress.

    What would your solution have been to the handwashing example? "This one guy who says it's true must be believed?" or "All those other doctors who say it's not true must be disbelieved?" or what? And under what justification?

    It's easy to go in with 20/20 hindsight and exclaim SEE THAT ONE GUY KNEW IT ALL ALONG AND THE SHEEPLE FOLLOWING THE MAINSTREAM WERE WRONG! But how do you tell who's right and wrong BEFORE the benefit of hindsight?

    The best way we have for that is to keep going and keep researching, and to adjust things as our knowledge increases. Sometimes it will turn out the one guy was right; very often it turns out that one guy was wrong. But you don't believe or disbelieve WITHOUT A GOOD REASON. And "sometimes people are wrong" is not a good reason, because it doesn't by itself lead to an increase in truth approximation.

  2. #502
    Stood in the Fire october breeze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Australia, aka Outland
    Posts
    381
    What the actual cluster fuck did i just saw?

    Srsly, there people out there thinking about these stuff??? Like you have absolutely no fucking problem in your life?

    You know, there is war and famine and disease running in other corners of the world; and Jesus, speaking of privellages, look at these guys. They have free time and mind to come up with this!

    Jesus freaking C, just exile them to Syria or Ukrain or Somali so they learn what it means to have real problems and the world doesn't give a shit about their current concerns.

  3. #503

    Cool

    Edit: (never mind)

  4. #504
    Quote Originally Posted by Hungrydingo View Post
    For now this is considered dystopian. But as the Overton window shifts even more, one day it will be "regressive" to not evaluate people using this diversity tool. 10 years ago you didn't see corporations pandering so hard on a variety of social issues, but that has changed a lot in a short amount of time. In less than 5 years, it will be a fire able offense to not advocate for the diversity tool and it will be ban worthy on social media to criticize it.
    Just like how the democrats have been coming for your guns over the last 40 years...

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by ZazuuPriest View Post
    it'll take approximately 0 seconds for the left to weaponize this, just like "believe all women" was weaponized the moment it became a trend during "me too"
    It's been over 8800 seconds since this post and I've been searching online for a sign that this has
    been weaponised and...nothing. Maybe it's you who is a threat here. I mean what is so threatening that is causing you to be so hysterical?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by october breeze View Post
    What the actual cluster fuck did i just saw?

    Srsly, there people out there thinking about these stuff??? Like you have absolutely no fucking problem in your life?

    You know, there is war and famine and disease running in other corners of the world; and Jesus, speaking of privellages, look at these guys. They have free time and mind to come up with this!

    Jesus freaking C, just exile them to Syria or Ukrain or Somali so they learn what it means to have real problems and the world doesn't give a shit about their current concerns.
    You actual cluster fuck didn't "saw" nothing. Try reading it slow before reacting. Then you probably won't insult the plight of those people in those other countries.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Talon8669 View Post
    What happened to just hiring the most qualified person for the job. This world is going to shit so fast, I'd get out the popcorn and watch it all burn if it weren't for the fact I have to leave this crap for my kids to deal with.
    What happened to not derailing a thread? You sound like that old man staggering down the street with only one shoe on mumbling about birds not being real.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

  5. #505
    Stood in the Fire Chromeshellking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Outside Reality.
    Posts
    404
    I miss the days of just 4 chapters of a game that had an orc, human, elf and the undead.

    I also think to myself more and more that being dead is becoming way more attractive than it should.

  6. #506
    Quote Originally Posted by agentsi View Post
    Fucking barf... 100% no thank you. Stop it with the bullshit inclusion shit. It only hurts the game and makes people not want to play. People want to be separated by skill, not by other factors.

    I'm fine with anyone saying something racist or misogynistic getting instantly banned but just stop it there. The problem will correct itself from that point forward. Punish the people who are the problem, don't punish everyone because of a couple of bad apples. When you pay $30-$60 for a game and get banned for being a dickhead, you will think twice before you have to spend another $30-$60 again. And if the game is free to play, follow the same rules. These people that they're hunting, won't be able to contain themselves. They will always fuck up.

    But in reality, this is political correctness going too far. When the truth is now offensive, you need to wake the fuck up and stop being so delusional.
    What are you even trying to say? Do you even understand what the tool is for? I ask because your rant makes no sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

  7. #507
    Man... I hate this century!

  8. #508
    Holy shit, can they make 1 week without a major controversy at this point?

  9. #509
    Honestly... I start to see why it takes so long for blizzard to make content and why new games takes so long and often are quite lacking in content from the beginning.
    Last edited by Kumorii; 2022-05-17 at 06:18 AM.

  10. #510
    Quote Originally Posted by agentsi View Post
    It's a college professor, teaching the course in the video. But sure, let's ignore facts and continue to live in a bubble.

    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ns-center.html

    It's becoming a normalized thing, where any sort of "progress" is being made from woke campuses. We were warned about it years ago being the next thing that would be pushed on to folks, and here it is.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Ah yes, anecdotal evidence. I do this, so no one else could possibly do that. Cool story bro.

    https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0708131152.htm

    Everything you've been taught is slowly being eroded away. DSM is passively being rejected by some of your peers, and it isn't the first time. So yeah, get with the times. considering you know, you "lecture" folks about it. I'd imagine you would be more informed about your own field. But hey, I guess not. I feel sorry for whoever hired you.
    What you are saying is complete bullshit and even the links you posted tell a different story than what you are preaching.

    You are lying.

  11. #511
    There are some snippets of ideas especially from the past century or so which have been cooked up together to make this new view of our world. Those that believe the way our society functions is wrong wish to strip it back to its foundations, at least in theory. The way to get there, in theory, is to strip back all the norms and things we take for granted.

    Diversity from the academic literature, manifested in a corporate program can function as a kind of sorting mechanism. Focus on physical and cultural characteristics in hiring for instance, while excluding those with political differences.

    from (https://newdiscourses.com/tftw-diversity/)
    "Diversity in the Critical Social Justice usage therefore tends to mean uniformity of viewpoint about ideological matters."


    That's one point on this new theory being put into practice in our world. It's important to understand they want to break everything down and start again from some utopian point, and these theories are how they want to get there. They don't actually care about what happens to people, regardless of their looks or background. They just want to be in charge so normal isn't normal anymore. If you want change and a more just world this isn't the way to it.

  12. #512
    Quote Originally Posted by La View Post
    Bro, what is with companies turning things like diversity or sexual preferences, or race, into a checkbox on a list?
    Frankly I think because our society have made it such.

    I'm not really surprised why this got developed now that I think about it.

  13. #513
    I saw this just as just the picture with ana and thought it was racists making a joke about blizzard character designs or something. It's insane this is actually a tool ATV created to rank characters based on some corporate diversity score, how out of touch can these idiots be?

  14. #514
    Stood in the Fire october breeze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Australia, aka Outland
    Posts
    381
    Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    Just like how the democrats have been coming for your guns over the last 40 years...

    - - - Updated - - -



    It's been over 8800 seconds since this post and I've been searching online for a sign that this has
    been weaponised and...nothing. Maybe it's you who is a threat here. I mean what is so threatening that is causing you to be so hysterical?

    - - - Updated - - -



    You actual cluster fuck didn't "saw" nothing. Try reading it slow before reacting. Then you probably won't insult the plight of those people in those other countries.

    - - - Updated - - -



    What happened to not derailing a thread? You sound like that old man staggering down the street with only one shoe on mumbling about birds not being real.
    You completely missed what I meant.

  15. #515
    Warchief Zoibert the Bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Basque Country, Spain
    Posts
    2,023
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    So, yes; your perception of their external signifiers rather than a magical dick detector.

    You do realise that feminine men and butch women exist, right?
    Nice job misquoting, how disingenous can one get.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    So you're saying "I can tell, except when I can't", and the times where you can't you just say aren't relevant.

    That's a nice way to dodge the problem

    I can predict the future, by the way. Except when I can't. But those are just anomalies and don't count.
    So the fact that outliers exist proves right? I believe your logic is flawed.

  16. #516
    The Unstoppable Force Kaleredar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    phasing...
    Posts
    24,218
    I think it's pretty silly that the people losing their minds over this are the people claiming woke, libtard, leftist, yadda yadda buzzwords are coming to take over their games by putting in a bunch of... whoevers... in, where such a system would really come off more insulting to the underepresented groups this supposedly "helps" by reducing them down into a metric that they just have to hit *enough* of so they can go back to putting sexy blonde ladies and gigachad white guys in the game, as the creation of such a chart implies that the game developers actually want to do.


    I find it most interesting that they apprently verified that Zarya is straight. Who'da thought. And Moira is apparently... kinda gay? I don't know if I'm reading the second chart correctly.


    Of course, looking beyond the barest reading of this article would reveal that 1) this is King games, not Blizzard specifically and 2) it was never even used in the development of Overwatch, and I see no reason to believe it would start now.

    But keep overreacting, people, about how this is a portent of the downfall of western civilization and the castrating of males because the made-up pixel characters in a shoot-em-up game have their gameplay-removed backstories saying a thing you don't like.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

  17. #517
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    I think it's pretty silly that the people losing their minds over this are the people claiming woke, libtard, leftist, yadda yadda buzzwords are coming to take over their games by putting in a bunch of... whoevers... in, where such a system would really come off more insulting to the underepresented groups this supposedly "helps" by reducing them down into a metric that they just have to hit *enough* of so they can go back to putting sexy blonde ladies and gigachad white guys in the game, as the creation of such a chart implies that the game developers actually want to do.


    I find it most interesting that they apprently verified that Zarya is straight. Who'da thought. And Moira is apparently... kinda gay? I don't know if I'm reading the second chart correctly.


    Of course, looking beyond the barest reading of this article would reveal that 1) this is King games, not Blizzard specifically and 2) it was never even used in the development of Overwatch, and I see no reason to believe it would start now.

    But keep overreacting, people, about how this is a portent of the downfall of western civilization and the castrating of males because the made-up pixel characters in a shoot-em-up game have their gameplay-removed backstories saying a thing you don't like.
    I mean you are talking to the people who cannot understand your post, the hillbillies. Besides them, if you're addressing the people who can think, this is still a problem. I get it they're looking at it from a developer standpoint using metrics to ensure they don't under represent since they design such a wide variety of things. The real problem here is the impression they are giving by doing this. Even if their intentions are good, it does not look good at all when done this way

    If you're thinking that they don't plan on using it, why would the company promote it in their communications channels?

  18. #518
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoibert the Bear View Post
    So the fact that outliers exist proves right? I believe your logic is flawed.
    I'm not sure what you mean. Proves WHAT right? The fact that you can't always tell? Yeah I guess so, pretty much by definition. If there's cases where you can't tell, then "I can always tell" is proven wrong. The fact that you simply say that the exceptions don't matter doesn't solve the issue, it only sidesteps it.

    Hence my analogy with predicting the future - if you categorically exclude the misses, you're not really making a statement of any predictive value. OF COURSE your hit rate becomes 100% if you say from the start that the misses simply don't count. That's baked into your statement from the get-go. And that's why it's pretty much useless to argue that way, because this issue is all about the misses.

  19. #519
    Had a good laugh atleast.
    Do you hear the voices too?

  20. #520
    So who's allowed to be written as the first guy to crap his pants?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •