Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Dragonflight Flop?

Dragonflight Cinematic Trailer

48k Likes
    41k dislikes

2.1 Mio Views

What you think about it?

Doesnt seem there is much interest when you count on all the Views who doesn’t play WoW but watching their Cinematics.

And nearly 50% dislike
    Last edited by SovietBabeyyy; 2022-05-27 at 12:13 AM.

Where are the other trailer stats that you are comparing Dragonflight to to claim it a flop? I'll give it to you that, compared to the other cinematics, it was a tad slow and low on action making it a bit boring personally.

10+ Year Old Account
    And WoD cinematic is at 35 million. Youtube likes/views doesn't mean anything to how good it is. (And no I'm not trashing on WoD).
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    Where are the other trailer stats that you are comparing Dragonflight to to claim it a flop? I'll give it to you that, compared to the other cinematics, it was a tad slow and low on action making it a bit boring personally.
    Stone friend was the only thing that was really good about it, and I'm honestly underwhelmed by the theme. There is no nostalgia factor and there's nothing that actually catches my eye. Even in the story seems a little awkward as the new "Age of Dragons" that we're migrating to is only like 5~ years after the "Age of Mortals" began. For people unaware, the entire story of World of Warcraft that we've experienced so far canonically occurs over a 10~ year timespan.
    Sylvanas didn't even win the popular vote, she was elected by an indirect election of representatives. #NotMyWarchief

What I don't understand is why the cinematic trailer video has a 5 second spoiler before it. What if someone who's never seen it wants to watch for the first time?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    And WoD cinematic is at 35 million. Youtube likes/views doesn't mean anything to how good it is. (And no I'm not trashing on WoD).
    The WoD cinematic is probably the best cinematic trailer Blizzard has ever made. If not, on par with the Wrath trailer. It is an absolutely outstanding production.

10+ Year Old Account
    The WoD cinematic is probably the best cinematic trailer Blizzard has ever made. If not, on par with the Wrath trailer. It is an absolutely outstanding production.
    I mean yes you are right, its well made and all the CGI cinematics are well made.

What I don't understand is why the cinematic trailer video has a 5 second spoiler before it. What if someone who's never seen it wants to watch for the first time?
    Yeah whoever edited that way really screwed up.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Battle for Azeroth's cinematic trailer is said to have had 6.5 million views after seven days, Shadowlands had 4.7 million.

The Cinematic Trailer of course doesnt say if Dragonflight is good.

But its a good indicator to show interest or hype.

2.1 Mio Views, nearly 41K dislikes to 48k Likes.

Doesnt look good.

And personally cant imagine Dragonflight will bring Players back, weird Race and Class, tame your dragon.

I dont know doesnt feel good or right.
    Last edited by SovietBabeyyy; 2022-05-27 at 12:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Momzuna View Post
    Battle for Azeroth's cinematic trailer is said to have had 6.5 million views after seven days, Shadowlands had 4.7 million.

The Cinematic Trailer of course doesnt say if Dragonflight is good.

But its a good indicator to show interest or hype.

2.1 Mio Views, nearly 41K dislikes to 48k Likes.

Doesnt look good
    I mean, you immediately undermined your entire argument here since SL outsold BfA in first day sales. So clearly there was more hype for it than BfA.

Basing an opinion that an expansion is a "flop" based on YouTube stats for the trailer is just plain stupid. 89,000 people clicked either Like or Dislike out of the the 2,180,000 people who watched it (assuming every view was unique). That's 4.08% total. Only 1.9% of people disliked it.That leaves 98.1% of viewers either liked it or didn't click the button so we don't know their opinion.

And do not forget that the YouTube algorithm doesn't see Likes, Dislikes, and Comments in that context. It just sees them as "engagements". So there are 94,200 engagements with the video. Also, where did you get 41k dislikes? YouTube hides that figure now.
    Last edited by Eosia; 2022-05-27 at 12:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    I mean, you immediately undermined your entire argument here since SL outsold BfA in first day sales. So clearly there was more hype for it than BfA.
    The "argument" seems to be that interest is extremely low. It has been framed in an unfortunate way to imply that means it will flop, which i agree is a pretty big stretch, but, it does clearly show there is bugger all interest in the trailer compared to previous ones, if nothing else.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Eosia View Post
    Basing an opinion that an expansion is a "flop" based on YouTube states for the trailer is just plain stupid. 89,000 people clicked either Like or Dislike out of the the 2,180,000 people who watched it (assuming every view was unique). That's 4.08% total. Only 1.9% of people disliked it.That leaves 98.1% of viewers either liked it or didn't click the button so we don't know their opinion.

And do not forget that the YouTube algorithm doesn't see Likes, Dislikes, and Comments in that context. It just sees them as "engagements". So there are 94,200 engagements with the video. Also, where did you get 41k dislikes? YouTube hides that figure now.
    Again, I find the unbelievably low view count to be the most telling and interesting thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    In no way are you entitled to the 'complete' game when you buy it, because DLC/cosmetics and so on are there for companies to make more money
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Others, including myself, are saying that they only exist because Blizzard needed to create things so they could monetize it.

the trailer simply isnt hype or mindblowing,reminds me of mop,but considering mop was like first or second best expansion....im not gonna judge based on that

meanwile you have wod and bfa cinematics looking amazing and hype and the expansions were snoozefests

Don't forget one important thing, the other trailers were shown during blizzcon. A lot of people watched it just because of it, like they were already tuned in, why not watch it ? It doesn't account to all the views of course, but for a good part of them, and having more initial views get the algorithm to push it to other users.

Also, as the others said, while the cinematic was great, it wasn't on par with the previous ones, it felt a bit lackluster I guess so less word of mouth.
    Last edited by Zamerine; 2022-05-27 at 12:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    The "argument" seems to be that interest is extremely low. It has been framed in an unfortunate way to imply that means it will flop, which i agree is a pretty big stretch, but, it does clearly show there is bugger all interest in the trailer compared to previous ones, if nothing else.

- - - Updated - - -

Again, I find the unbelievably low view count to be the most telling and interesting thing.
    Yes thats what i ment, that is seem very very low interest in it, i mean its over a month just 2.mio Views.

Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    Majority of its views probably came from the live stream though. The views are either people who have watched it again or are seeing it after the fact. The replay of the announcement stream has nearly the same number of views as the trailer by itself. Has 43k likes too.

Quote Originally Posted by Eosia View Post
    Basing an opinion that an expansion is a "flop" based on YouTube stats for the trailer is just plain stupid. 89,000 people clicked either Like or Dislike out of the the 2,180,000 people who watched it (assuming every view was unique). That's 4.08% total. Only 1.9% of people disliked it.That leaves 98.1% of viewers either liked it or didn't click the button so we don't know their opinion.

It's visible for people that have installed the extension in their browser, but only tallies dislikes from other people that have also installed the extension.

so, it's possible the dislikes are actually higher. But even then, 2.2m total views is pretty low so a wow cinematic trailer. The real advertising hasn't started yet though, only the initial media announcements. It's quite light for an expansion reveal at this stage.

They might be waiting on the encrypted data in 9.2.5 to be made public before revealing more

10+ Year Old Account
    How do you know how many dislikes when Youtube got rid of the dislike numbers long ago?

Quote Originally Posted by Kithelle View Post
    How do you know how many dislikes when Youtube got rid of the dislike numbers long ago?
    browser extension reverts it

Quote Originally Posted by Kithelle View Post
    They don't. OP is using an extension and has no idea how it actually works.

Youtube pulled the API for dislikes - you can't see the actual number no matter what you do.

This explains how the number is calculated for those extension users:

"a combination of archived dislike stats, estimates extrapolated from [user] data and estimates based on view/like ratios for videos whose dislikes weren't archived and for outdated dislike archives".
    It's an estimate based on past videos prior to dislike removal. They also count dislikes made by people using the extension. But it's not accurate and can't be used as a sign for anything.

Source:
    https://www.newsweek.com/return-yout...irefox-1654339

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    browser extension reverts it
    It doesn't.

They have time to garner interest, and dragons definitely can be used to generate stories people would care about.......

That being said, between the lackluster trailer, the general distinterest in WoW after 2 disappointing expansions, and the hit or miss presentation of the new race/class, its not surprising that people would be wondering how this new xpac will go. A class that feels more limited than Demon Hunters (which still feels wierd at only 2 specs). A race that is the most limited in the game. A story that basically doesn't exist yet or at least hasn't been shown (excluding possible leaks).

All of these things definitely don't point to a successful xpac launch by any means. The talent revamp, the profession update.... these things are definitely interesting and hopefully will make people feel better about the loss of borrowed power (which has its own issues).

So, they could certainly release an amazing story to start the path of the xpac, provide a ton of customization to the new that allows people to make them look how they want them (maybe a tank spec?..... I know :\ ) and provide some excellent excitement leading into the release. That is all TOTALLY doable with the amount of time they have and they could make another Legion level expac without a doubt.

But will they? Given everything we've seen out of them and the direction their company seems to be headed, I can't say I'm betting on it.

Quote Originally Posted by wowrefugee View Post
    It doesn't.
    its a very accurate representation,because the people who care to actualy upvote or downvote are also the people who take the time to get the extension