1. #1
    Stood in the Fire Wylyth1992's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    North America
    Posts
    459

    Option For Worgen, Goblins, and Pandaren To Start In A Non Instanced Starting Zone

    The reason is it would allow players of those races to more quickly get to Stormwind or Orgrimmar, like players of other races can.

  2. #2
    The Undying Gehco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    FEEL THE WRATH OF MY SPANNER!!
    Posts
    35,751
    Quote Originally Posted by Wylyth1992 View Post
    The reason is it would allow players of those races to more quickly get to Stormwind or Orgrimmar, like players of other races can.
    Start at Exile's Reach? You get out faster there. You can't use Chromie time until lvl 10 anyways if I recall.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

  3. #3
    I get what you are saying. Although Exile's Reach being an option is welcomed (I absolutely hate the Worgen starting experience) it would also be nice to be able to choose any other starting zone at level 1.

  4. #4
    Picking your own starting zone sounds stupid. I get nobody cares for the lore but why would a gnome be able to start on azuremyst island? Or why would a human be in gnomeragan? Don’t kill off what little loyalty to common sense this game has.

    Also those races can use exiles reach. It’s about 45 mins shorter than those other starter zones

  5. #5
    The Undying Gehco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    FEEL THE WRATH OF MY SPANNER!!
    Posts
    35,751
    Quote Originally Posted by Cynicalnerd View Post
    Picking your own starting zone sounds stupid. I get nobody cares for the lore but why would a gnome be able to start on azuremyst island? Or why would a human be in gnomeragan? Don’t kill off what little loyalty to common sense this game has.
    Yeah.. Gonna have to agree on this one. Having two options (Old start + Exile) is more than enough.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Yeah.. Gonna have to agree on this one. Having two options (Old start + Exile) is more than enough.
    I have to agree with the nerd and Gehco, it wouldnt make sense and could possibly cause confusion for new players, I think exiles reach and the current starter zones are fine as is.

  7. #7
    The Unstoppable Force FelPlague's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Ontario,Canada
    Posts
    24,372
    Quote Originally Posted by KNTRPRTS View Post
    I get what you are saying. Although Exile's Reach being an option is welcomed (I absolutely hate the Worgen starting experience) it would also be nice to be able to choose any other starting zone at level 1.
    do the worgen starting area as an orc
    yeah you sure?

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    do the worgen starting area as an orc
    yeah you sure?

    Being able to choose any other starting area as a Worgen or Goblin instead of the instanced ones for Worgen and Goblin or Exile's Reach?


    Yeah I'm sure.


    What does your post even mean, wtf are you talking about "worgen starting area as an orc"

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Cynicalnerd View Post
    Picking your own starting zone sounds stupid. I get nobody cares for the lore but why would a gnome be able to start on azuremyst island? Or why would a human be in gnomeragan? Don’t kill off what little loyalty to common sense this game has.

    Also those races can use exiles reach. It’s about 45 mins shorter than those other starter zones

    And that literally has not stopped anybody from doing just that since vanilla WoW. Your preference can be leveling in your race's designated starting zone. That's completely fine.


    Other people have shown since the game first came out that they prefer differently.

  9. #9
    The Lightbringer Highlord Hanibuhl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    3,120
    Quote Originally Posted by KNTRPRTS View Post
    What does your post even mean, wtf are you talking about "worgen starting area as an orc"
    He means that, although you may like to play the Human/Nelf/Troll/Undead starting zone as your Worgen, it will look VERY weird on other races if you open everything up, like the example given; an Orc playing the Worgen starting-zone - it would not work.

    Starting zones are catered and fit to the races.

  10. #10
    Stood in the Fire Wylyth1992's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    North America
    Posts
    459
    Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    do the worgen starting area as an orc
    yeah you sure?
    Quote Originally Posted by Highlord Hanibuhl View Post
    He means that, although you may like to play the Human/Nelf/Troll/Undead starting zone as your Worgen, it will look VERY weird on other races if you open everything up, like the example given; an Orc playing the Worgen starting-zone - it would not work.

    Starting zones are catered and fit to the races.
    This is more for players who don't want to have to go through a long instanced starting zone every time they make a new Worgen, Goblin, or Pandaren character. And obviously Worgen and Alliance Pandaren wouldn't start in Horde starting zones. Similarly, Goblins and Horde Pandaren wouldn't start in Alliance starting zones.

  11. #11
    The Unstoppable Force FelPlague's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Ontario,Canada
    Posts
    24,372
    Quote Originally Posted by Wylyth1992 View Post
    This is more for players who don't want to have to go through a long instanced starting zone every time they make a new Worgen, Goblin, or Pandaren character. And obviously Worgen and Alliance Pandaren wouldn't start in Horde starting zones. Similarly, Goblins and Horde Pandaren wouldn't start in Alliance starting zones.
    you know exiles reach exists right?

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Wylyth1992 View Post
    This is more for players who don't want to have to go through a long instanced starting zone every time they make a new Worgen, Goblin, or Pandaren character. And obviously Worgen and Alliance Pandaren wouldn't start in Horde starting zones. Similarly, Goblins and Horde Pandaren wouldn't start in Alliance starting zones.
    So.. do you want them to be more like Allied Race starting zones where, it's just a room, you talk to the leader of the allied race and they send you straight to the Embassy to begin your journey?

  13. #13
    Stood in the Fire Wylyth1992's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    North America
    Posts
    459
    Quote Originally Posted by The Vindicator View Post
    Let's not promote removing more and more unique content, it takes at most an hour to get through the panda and worgen/goblin starts, maybe 2 if you're slow - that's not bad for a brand new character, plus I imagine you get quite a few levels more than original at this point
    Not removing, giving other options.

  14. #14
    The Lightbringer Highlord Hanibuhl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    3,120
    Quote Originally Posted by Wylyth1992 View Post
    Not removing, giving other options.
    But.... there is Exile's Reach.

    The starting zones are designed for new players to get to know the game. Otherwise we end up with TONS of players not knowing how to play the game.

    Exile's Reach takes 20-40 min tops. If you want a different starting zone, either travel to a different one. Worgen/Goblin/Pandaren and all DK's and DH's just have a little something extra that makes the races shine and give some backstory.

    Tons of options if you ask me.

    If you don't like waiting and just want end content, there's also the max character-boost.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    you know exiles reach exists right?

    You should really keep up with the conversation before engaging.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Highlord Hanibuhl View Post
    He means that, although you may like to play the Human/Nelf/Troll/Undead starting zone as your Worgen, it will look VERY weird on other races if you open everything up, like the example given; an Orc playing the Worgen starting-zone - it would not work.

    Starting zones are catered and fit to the races.

    Yeah, I get that and all, but that hasn't been the rule since the very beginning of the game. And no, nobody is advocating for level 1 players leveling in the opposite faction's starting zones. The person in question just spurting that out as if that was being discussed before hand is disingenuous.


    Level 1 toons of any race abandoning their race's specific starting zone in favor of other race's starting zone (of the same faction) has been a thing since forever. Hell... I did it myself back in 2006 and again in 2008. Seeing a Blood Elf in Mulgore, or a Gnome in Teldrassil shouldn't be that weird since they are apart of the same faction of those races who do begin in those zones.


    Having a unique starting experience based on the race you choose (ie: Goblin, Worgen) is fine. Some people like it. It was new to the game back in Cataclysm and is new to players who are just starting to play WoW for the first time today. But not having an option at all to leave the "experience" of the Goblin and Worgen starting area should be reconsidered.


    A new experience like Exile's Reach was an absolute great addition to the game. However, that being the only option if you don't want to do the intro experience for Goblin and Worgen players at level 1 (non-DK's) should also be reconsidered.


    Hand waving and saying "you have Exile's Reach" is just "a" solution, not "the" solution. That's all anybody is saying, including myself.
    Last edited by KOUNTERPARTS; 2022-05-17 at 03:36 PM.

  16. #16
    Stood in the Fire Wylyth1992's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    North America
    Posts
    459
    Quote Originally Posted by Highlord Hanibuhl View Post
    But.... there is Exile's Reach.

    The starting zones are designed for new players to get to know the game. Otherwise we end up with TONS of players not knowing how to play the game.

    Exile's Reach takes 20-40 min tops. If you want a different starting zone, either travel to a different one. Worgen/Goblin/Pandaren and all DK's and DH's just have a little something extra that makes the races shine and give some backstory.

    Tons of options if you ask me.

    If you don't like waiting and just want end content, there's also the max character-boost.
    This isn't about new players, it is about non-new players. Like me, who, while not a Veteran, is not a new player. Though, I guess this could also be solved by allowing players who have completed Exile's Reach on at least one character to have the option to start at Level 10 in their faction's capital.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Cynicalnerd View Post
    Picking your own starting zone sounds stupid. I get nobody cares for the lore but why would a gnome be able to start on azuremyst island? Or why would a human be in gnomeragan? Don’t kill off what little loyalty to common sense this game has.

    Also those races can use exiles reach. It’s about 45 mins shorter than those other starter zones
    I generally agree, however it could be easily resolved by allowing travel out of the zones. That way if you want to level somewhere else you can but there is a time cost... Not a very big one, but I think a fair one.

  18. #18
    The Lightbringer Highlord Hanibuhl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    3,120
    As is now, starting zones cater to the race. You can get away with faction-based switching, but that's it... many of the starting zones show off the faction warfare, therefore it would be silly to start your human warrior in Durotar, helping the Orcs fight off the Alliance.

    If you want to start anywhere, those area's have to be redone to fit your needs... which is something that requires a whole lot of work for a small percentage of the players.

    If you don't want a starting experience like Worgen/Goblin, pick a different race. And if you're a veteran player, you've sat through enough WoW to sit through another starting zone. Not EVERY part of the game has to be sped up to cater to the 'zap-generation' who wants everything fast and now.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •