What's a fair appraisal of this PC?

Was the March 10 2017 Unicorn build mostly.

Intel i5-7600k 3.8GHz ($240)

Corsair Air 540 ($122)

Graphics: GTX 1050 SSC Gaming 2GB GDDR5 $160 April 2018

PSU 650w EVGA $100

Heatsink Noctua 6 NH-D15 $100

Motherboard ASUS Z270-A $170

256 GB SSD which literally isn't even big enough for Windows and World of Warcraft now lol

1 TB WD Hard Drive

DVD Drive

I've got a little money and the roommate and her kids need/want a PC so I'm starting to look in to options.

I am not much of a videophile and I didn't own a subwoofer for 20 years so I'm not exactly super in to the cinematic experience. I just want everything to work really, really well. I do record video of most my Warcraft pulls so that's the most demanding thing I do.

I probably want a new graphics card ...dang is this one 4 years old already? Seems like yesterday.
    Raid bosses will always be very similar so long as encounter design requires DPS to always be pumping 100%.

I don't really know that much, but I'd personally pay around 150 to 200 Euros/Dollars for that. Mostly because the case/PSU/CPU heatsink are still good and could likely re-use them when something breaks.

Maybe on the open market it would be quite a bit more with GPU the situation being what it is, the 1050 is still probs worth 40ish bucks. And the CPU is still somewhat expensive for what it does on Ebay. So maybe all in all probably somewhere around $300 to $325 if you part it out and manage to sell it all.

Quote Originally Posted by garicasha View Post

Corsair Air 540 ($122)

PSU 650w EVGA $100

256 GB SSD which literally isn't even big enough for Windows and World of Warcraft now lol

1 TB WD Hard Drive

DVD Drive

I've got a little money and the roommate and her kids need/want a PC so I'm starting to look in to options.

I am not much of a videophile and I didn't own a subwoofer for 20 years so I'm not exactly super in to the cinematic experience. I just want everything to work really, really well. I do record video of most my Warcraft pulls so that's the most demanding thing I do.

I probably want a new graphics card ...dang is this one 4 years old already? Seems like yesterday.
    There's nothing wrong with this PC though. Get a newer graphics card, say an RTX 3050 ~$300 or RX 6500XT ~#200, and a 1TB ssd ~$100. Other than that it would do pretty much anything you would want it to. What exactly is your budget?
    Last edited by Linkedblade; 2022-05-18 at 03:15 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's like ancient technology by now.

300 bucks? Would do ok as multimedia and web PC.

One thing I dont understand with those builds are, why do they keep adding dvd or blu ray players / burners, every game comes with a digital copy so why waste money on a dvd / blu ray drive.

Im not really sure what the point of this appraisal is? Like… do you already have this? Do you need to buy it? Like.. whats the sitch here?

Quote Originally Posted by Raven View Post
    One thing I dont understand with those builds are, why do they keep adding dvd or blu ray players / burners, every game comes with a digital copy so why waste money on a dvd / blu ray drive.
    Some professions still need those.

I work with films sometimes, and for some older and non-Western ones especially it's almost impossible to find digital copies on the internet. I can often find DVDs, though, especially through my university library. I need a DVD drive to work with them.

Or it could just be people getting hoodwinked into buying tech they don't need, who knows

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post

I work with films sometimes, and for some older and non-Western ones especially it's almost impossible to find digital copies on the internet. I can often find DVDs, though, especially through my university library. I need a DVD drive to work with them.

Or it could just be people getting hoodwinked into buying tech they don't need, who knows
    Yeah but if you use it in work or in your profession, i highly doubt you go to a gaming site and buy it from a pre made list there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    That's like ancient technology by now.

300 bucks? Would do ok as multimedia and web PC.
    The nerds are never happy with waht they have, even if they keep throwing money down the toilet...

Corsair Air 540 ($122)

PSU 650w EVGA $100

1 TB WD Hard Drive

DVD Drive

Your computer is ok, at least until windows 10 stops being suported, you will need a brand new computer to instal windows 11. For the time being get a new GPU.

Quote Originally Posted by Raven View Post
    Yeah but if you use it in work or in your profession, i highly doubt you go to a gaming site and buy it from a pre made list there.
    Hey, I have a gaming PC and a gaming laptop I even taught a class on video games two semesters ago!

Professors can be gamers, too!

Quote Originally Posted by Tuor View Post
    Your computer is ok, at least until windows 10 stops being suported, you will need a brand new computer to instal windows 11. For the time being get a new GPU.
    No, no he doesn't... You can install windows 11 on any PC whatsoever... tmp or no tmp... Just install... Not hard...

Discussing with my roommate if I would sell it to her or not.

Dang if the positions were reversed I would totally buy this pc for $400. Hell IMO the case is worth $100 by itself, and the copy of windows is $100.

Although I suppose the graphics card would be a gamble, it could die tomorrow or go ten more years.

But yah this thread kinda confirms what I thought, this PC is worth a lot more to me than I could sell it for.
    Raid bosses will always be very similar so long as encounter design requires DPS to always be pumping 100%.

Dang if the positions were reversed I would totally buy this pc for $400. Hell IMO the case is worth $100 by itself, and the copy of windows is $100.

Although I suppose the graphics card would be a gamble, it could die tomorrow or go ten more years.

But yah this thread kinda confirms what I thought, this PC is worth a lot more to me than I could sell it for.
    Problem with reselling and PC parts is how dumb the buyer is, not how much the PC is worth and secondary, who is it for.

Doesnt matter what case you have, what cooler you have on that, if the power of the rest of the hardware is useless for 2022, then whats the point.

Thats why you compare it to what can be bought, (Thats someone that knows, not the average user), at the same period.

As example, AMD APUs, like the 3400G,5600G etc, render most used PCs resell value to practically 0, cause you can build a better/equal but new PC with warranty for the same money.

In the end its better to use as something else, or sell it cheap to a relative that can use it, out of the kindness of your heart.

You built that PC at a bad time where midrange PCs shifted from 4 to 6/8 cores by the end of the year. No one likes to buy quad core gaming PCs anymore.

You could also buy legit windows licenses for ~15$, think i bought 2 licenses for 10$ from urcdkeys and 5 years later its still activated, even upgraded to win11.

2nd hand Skylake/Kabylake motherboard still sell for a lot though I think.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tomten View Post
    No, no he doesn't... You can install windows 11 on any PC whatsoever... tmp or no tmp... Just install... Not hard...
    Well, you right... Except he won't get any updates. For the time being he is better with W10.

Eh, so, if the "appraisal" was "should i sell this cheap to a friend and get myself something newer"...

Ill answer with "as long as you can afford to replace it - Yes". Do her the favor (its not a great machine you'd be giving her, but if you charged her 250-300$, she cant build anything or buy anything that would perform as well for anywhere near that right now), and get yourself something much better.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/RXJNzf

CPU: Intel Core i3-12100F 3.3 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($107.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: ASRock B660M-HDV Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($94.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Silicon Power XPOWER Turbine 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($49.97 @ Amazon)
    Storage: ADATA SU635 960 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($79.98 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 3050 8GB 8 GB XC BLACK GAMING Video Card ($259.98 @ Newegg)
    Case: Corsair SPEC-04 ATX Mid Tower Case ($54.99 @ Corsair)
    Power Supply: EVGA GD (2019) 600 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($54.99 @ Amazon)
    Total: $702.89
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-05-18 21:50 EDT-0400
    If you want to keep your existing case, use the one i put in this build to swap the old build into.

This thing will run rings around your current rig, and if you sell it to her for ~300$ you're only out 400$ or so.

If you really want to step it up, you can go decidedly mid-range for not a lot more:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/M4ZqH2

CPU: Intel Core i5-12400F 2.5 GHz 6-Core Processor ($159.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: Silicon Power XPOWER Turbine 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($49.97 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 3060 12 GB VENTUS 2X Video Card ($409.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: EVGA GD (2019) 600 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($54.99 @ Amazon)
    Total: $904.90
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-05-18 21:55 EDT-0400
    Your current rig... you can limp that along with a GPU upgrade (nothing bigger than a 3050 and avoid the fuck out of the RX 6500XT since your current rig is PCIe 3.0), but its 4 cores/4 threads and thats going to handicap you a great deal on recording or streaming anything... and you're going to have to upgrade the thing in another 18-24 months to keep acceptable performance (well, what most of us here consider acceptable performance) anyway... or you could upgrade your rig now, do your friend a decent favor by getting her a kid-friendly rig that isn't complete trash, and be the happier for it.

For the best bang for the buck (since 1080p seems to be fine for you), id recommend a hybrid of the two builds:

Go with the 12400F but keep the 3050 instead of the 3060.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/FtLb2m

CPU: Intel Core i5-12400F 2.5 GHz 6-Core Processor ($169.98 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 3050 8GB 8 GB XC BLACK GAMING Video Card ($259.98 @ Newegg)
    Total: $764.88
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-05-18 21:59 EDT-0400

Mayyyybe $300. Canadian dollars.

And your GPU is 6 years old, not 4.

I mean just because you buy this doesn't mean it's a smart purchase. A 1050 is barley a usable GPU in my opinion and the CPU is also really old at this point.

Stuff like case, windows key and expensive motherboard doesn't really do much for the value.
    It's like buying a expensive kitchen and expecting that to increase the value of your house in accordance. Having a expensive kitchen doesn't really add that much more value to a house than having a regular kitchen because it's personal taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post

As a sysadm, I need a Serial console port and a DVD burner.

It's not still super rare to come across situations where you actually Need these.

Home user though... yeah they are probably not going to see them for much use.

The ROM is still useful if you have a movie setup that takes a disc though. So for that, it'd be good to have. Plus AFAIK, discs are still the best data storage medium next to tape drives to this day.