1. #1

    Would you like to see a druid summoner?

    I know this will never happen because it's unlikely Blizzard will give us a 5 spec (although I would just like to change the balance of the druids because they look more like arcane mages with all this astral theme than like druids), but purely in theories. Would you like to see a Druid specialization based on summons similar to Demonologist Warlocks, Beastmaster Hunters, and Unholy DKs? Beasts already belong to the hunters, so the druid could focus on summoning various creatures of nature from the Emerald Dream. Druid's Balance already has treants, they could be given to a summoner druid (like warlock metamorphosis was given to DH). Such a druid could also summon dryads, various Ancients are seen as a warlock could summon an Infernal or a Doomguard (a druid could summon an Ancient of War for melee combat or an Ancient of Wisdom for spells), maybe even a green dragon.




    Thoughts?

  2. #2
    Some specs are weird thematically. Why does a Druid who uses the power of nature cast solar and lunar abilities?
    Yeah obviously those are part of nature, but not the same way plants and animals are. I get that they use Lunar magic due to the Night Elves themes, but still.

    They should attack with vines, sharp leaves, treants and other natural creatures. Maybe save the "bolt of natural light" abilities for the big finishers.

    Monks are weird like this too. There are monks that are clearly just buff Priests, but also the Pandaria monks. Where is my melee Priest spec blizzard.
    Shamans have an arsenal of Earth magic and can wield heavy weaponry and a shield, yet no tank spec.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aydinx2
    People who don't buy the deluxe edition should be permanently banned. I'm sick of playing with poor people.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Aydinx2 View Post
    Some specs are weird thematically. Why does a Druid who uses the power of nature cast solar and lunar abilities?
    Yeah obviously those are part of nature, but not the same way plants and animals are. I get that they use Lunar magic due to the Night Elves themes, but still.

    They should attack with vines, sharp leaves, treants and other natural creatures. Maybe save the "bolt of natural light" abilities for the big finishers.

    Monks are weird like this too. There are monks that are clearly just buff Priests, but also the Pandaria monks. Where is my melee Priest spec blizzard.
    Shamans have an arsenal of Earth magic and can wield heavy weaponry and a shield, yet no tank spec.
    It does make a bit more sense now that we know Elune is a Life-aligned being. Their chosen form is also Elune's chosen "animal". And Resto already hogs the plant theme. I like that Druids aren't just a carbon copy of other fantasy universes.

    As for your melee priest spec, it's called Paladin.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    It does make a bit more sense now that we know Elune is a Life-aligned being. Their chosen form is also Elune's chosen "animal". And Resto already hogs the plant theme. I like that Druids aren't just a carbon copy of other fantasy universes.

    As for your melee priest spec, it's called Paladin.
    I'd say it has more to do with the Priestess of the Moon fantasy being offloaded to Balance druids (Starfall and the Lunar theme) and to a lesser extent Markmanship hunters (Trueshot Aura). WC3 druids were plant and weather druids.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I'd say it has more to do with the Priestess of the Moon fantasy being offloaded to Balance druids (Starfall and the Lunar theme) and to a lesser extent Markmanship hunters (Trueshot Aura). WC3 druids were plant and weather druids.
    Doylist vs. Watsonian. Besides, that was nearly 20 years ago when lore was more of an afterthought. Point is, Druids now have a valid claim to the Lunar theme.

    You're misremembering WC3, though. Druids had no plant abilities at all outside of Malfurion (who was just a Keeper of the Grove with a unique model), and only Druids of the Talon had Cyclone. That's a far cry from "plants and weather druids". Their key feature was transformation, not nature magic. Also, WoW makes up more than half of the total lifespan of the WarCraft franchise closing in on two thirds, and probably over 90% of the lore. "But WC1-3" isn't really a meaningful argument.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    Doylist vs. Watsonian. Besides, that was nearly 20 years ago when lore was more of an afterthought. Point is, Druids now have a valid claim to the Lunar theme.

    You're misremembering WC3, though. Druids had no plant abilities at all outside of Malfurion (who was just a Keeper of the Grove with a unique model), and only Druids of the Talon had Cyclone. That's a far cry from "plants and weather druids". Their key feature was transformation, not nature magic. Also, WoW makes up more than half of the total lifespan of the WarCraft franchise closing in on two thirds, and probably over 90% of the lore. "But WC1-3" isn't really a meaningful argument.
    Well the druid class did tap on both the druid troops and the keeper of the grove for its specs. Thorns, Entangling Roots and later Force of Nature are all in Balance from Keeper as is Faerie Fire and Cyclone from Druid of the Talon. Resto got the Keeper's tranquility and the Claw druids Rejuvenation, the rest went to feral. So yes, casting druids (since we were talking about Balance specifically not the druid class in general) were depicted as plant and weather druids originally (maybe with a fey element thrown in).
    And it's not like Sun and Moon themes for druids are not common; they always had access to those spells in D&D, druids in our world have often been linked with astronomy. I get rewarding originality but not at the expense of making an archetype that is visible in game (via Malfurion) available. If Malf can entangling roots orcs into the ground, player druids should be able to do so too.

  7. #7
    The Unstoppable Force
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Posts
    23,079
    Would be neat, and would match the classic D&D druid class.

    Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by darkoms View Post
    I know this will never happen because it's unlikely Blizzard will give us a 5 spec (although I would just like to change the balance of the druids because they look more like arcane mages with all this astral theme than like druids), but purely in theories. Would you like to see a Druid specialization based on summons similar to Demonologist Warlocks, Beastmaster Hunters, and Unholy DKs? Beasts already belong to the hunters, so the druid could focus on summoning various creatures of nature from the Emerald Dream. Druid's Balance already has treants, they could be given to a summoner druid (like warlock metamorphosis was given to DH). Such a druid could also summon dryads, various Ancients are seen as a warlock could summon an Infernal or a Doomguard (a druid could summon an Ancient of War for melee combat or an Ancient of Wisdom for spells), maybe even a green dragon.




    Thoughts?
    I think that it wouldn't work flavorwise, as summons are pretty much always expendable in some way, shape or form.

    Demonology? Enslaved demons, no one would cry over a demon being killed and thry don't have a say in it.
    Unholy? Undead are literally made to be cannonfodder in most cases, no one will miss them either and again they have no choice in the matter.
    Shamans? Elemental spirits are immortal on the material plane, returning to their native plane upon defeat. Additionally they only work for you either by convincing them or by making a deal with them (goblins).
    Mages? See demons; they do not ask as nicely as the shamans do.
    Monks? To my knowledge they do not summon the actual celestials but rather an echo of their power.
    Hunters? Beasts have always been manipulable, they are effectively cannonfodder slaves even if they are practically different from i.e. demons, though the actual pets are different again, but then again those need to be manually resurrected upon death.

    Creatures of life however go to the Shadowlands upon death (see the Bastion quest), thus them dying randomly as a summon would be weird. Whisps and treants and the like might work, but that'd be a bit limited, no? Also whisps seem to be night-elf exclusive.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

    Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Well the druid class did tap on both the druid troops and the keeper of the grove for its specs.
    And a bunch of stuff from neither. The sun/moon dualistic nature of Balance only came later as well. You're trying to use historical sources that have very little relevance at this point. 99% of Druid lore is from WoW, WC3 doesn't really matter.

  10. #10
    Scarab Lord KOUNTERPARTS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    MEMORY PALACE
    Posts
    4,696
    Nope, I like Blizzard's interpretation of druids and "druidism" in their games being that of a shapeshifter. Balance Druids in WoW summoning Treants as a spell is already pushing it.

  11. #11
    The Patient
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Cyprus
    Posts
    272
    Balance druids are farm from balance druids. If i had to name the spec i would name it Astromancers.

    I wish druids used more nature spells like they previously did. Monsoon, hurricane, wrath being nature based and green. Lightning would also work but they gave that to shamans.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Firann View Post
    Balance druids are farm from balance druids. If i had to name the spec i would name it Astromancers.

    I wish druids used more nature spells like they previously did. Monsoon, hurricane, wrath being nature based and green. Lightning would also work but they gave that to shamans.
    You say that as if Balance had any kind of direction back then. The spec was all over the place, with the only real focus being "ranged caster". At least now there's the whole Balance of Sun and Moon thing.

    Monsoon was never a Druid spell, either. And green Wrath was literally just a green Lightning Bolt. It also looked kinda stupid and made no real sense.

  13. #13
    Nope.

    Diablo 2 Druid was fairly fun, but I'd rather keep it there. If WoW put in another pet class, I'd rather it be something like Necromancer (good luck) or a pet-focused Mage, similar to Conjurer from Everquest. Or Illusionist / Coercer (also from Everquest).

    Honestly Conjurer would be cool, in WoW roles you could cover all 3 roles. Earth for tank, Water/Wind for healing, Fire for DPS.
    Last edited by Ryzeth; 2022-06-10 at 11:00 AM.
    If I don't respond to something you tagged me in, assume one of two things.
    1) Your post was too stupid to acknowledge, or
    2) Your post is cringe and not worth replying to.

    Alternatively, if it happens a lot I probably have you blocked due to one of the above things. Thank you.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •