Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    About the rideable dragon models

    No, not in that way.

    Note: Too lazy to distinguish skeletons from models from animation rigs in text, i am referring to just one thing here.

    What i mean are the dragonriding models, of which we've seen four so far (https://dragonflight.blizzard.com/en-us/).

    Now i assume that these are the baseline models upon which will be expanded with the customisation options, but: Are they enough?
    Are there no other sorts of dragons that are not caught in these models?

    Personally when i think dragons in general i also think of multiheaded ones; an adaptation of the chimaera model might be suited, but a three-headed one would really be interesting as well.

    And then there's the asian Long dragons, which have also ben represented in game as beung, well, dragons. Additionally the store mount "Heart of the aspects" uses a modified version of this model as well, so think they would be good to include as a baseline model as well.

    What do you think?
    Are the models at present enough to represent most dragon fantasies? Would it be better to include my suggestions, or any you may have?

    There are many more models in-game than just those actually used for dragons, are there any unusual ones you would like to see reskinned for dragons? A dragon-snail or dragon-jellyfish perhaps?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Another thing i've thought about: Personally the way wings usually work in WoW annoys me a little; they are basically limbs with large barely attached or even un-attached flaps on them.

    I get that animating it would be a clipping nightmare, but giving dragons properly attached wings in an expansion about dragons? Seems like it's worth trying.
    Would be cool to get a classical dragon model with wings that attach to the entirety of the back like with Malygos: https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/Mal..._Wynahiros.jpg
    Last edited by loras; 2022-05-19 at 02:00 PM.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

    Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

  2. #2
    My vote would go to three headed dragons using the hydra model. Change the skin, change the heads to be more dragon, add armor, bridles, etc. Instant cool mount.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by loras View Post

    And then there's the asian Long dragons, which have also ben represented in game as beung, well, dragons. Additionally the store mount "Heart of the aspects" uses a modified version of this model as well, so think they would be good to include as a baseline model as well.
    Cloud serpents aren't really related to the rest of the Azerothian dragons, at least according to lore tweets from a while back (could always be retconned though).

    Anyway I imagine there'll be a fair amount of customization for them, including wings, so you may get what you wish.

    I do hope they have some sort of special option for those that have the Dragonwrath legendary from Cataclysm. I know we can use it to transform into a dragon form to fly, but let us actually have a dragon we can ride with Tarecgosa's appearance or something.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiivar86 View Post
    Cloud serpents aren't really related to the rest of the Azerothian dragons, at least according to lore tweets from a while back (could always be retconned though).

    Anyway I imagine there'll be a fair amount of customization for them, including wings, so you may get what you wish.

    I do hope they have some sort of special option for those that have the Dragonwrath legendary from Cataclysm. I know we can use it to transform into a dragon form to fly, but let us actually have a dragon we can ride with Tarecgosa's appearance or something.
    I am not sure, Pandaland's lore is not my strong suit as i did not play back then. But the model is used for more than just the Long dragons, it's also used for the heart of the aspects, which i assume counts as a real dragon.

    But yeah, i hope it'll all be included, but seeing the "no two will be alike" claim made me think what sort of options could/should be included just so that everyone can get what they want.

    Personally the classic dragon model with some backwise-extended wings would satisfy my dragon-model-related wishes completely (especially if i can add some armor, or have it be nether/infinite/elemental themed), but i always like seeing what others do, especially when they get creative.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

    Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

  5. #5
    I mean they say "millions of possible combinations" so I expect more, obviously.

    I still want a single whelpling with a pathetic flying speed that's trying their best. <3
    Quote Originally Posted by DatToffer View Post
    Sylvanas will just give her own head to Tyrande.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    And just like the thread before it, let's back away from sexualizing Azshara and return to the original topic at hand.

  6. #6
    3 headed dragon ya say?

    Seto Kaiba would be pleased.

  7. #7
    The Lightbringer Nathreim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Posts
    3,012
    Blizz should have given us adult dragons for once Im tired of riding the same young drake model it would be nice to get an upgrade.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kiivar86 View Post
    Cloud serpents aren't really related to the rest of the Azerothian dragons, at least according to lore tweets from a while back (could always be retconned though).
    They are not related to the Aspects and they are likely not even dragons. They break with too many rules we have seen with other dragons.

    They have smooth eggs while all dragons and protodrakes have rough spiked eggs.

    They don't have 6 limbs like all other dragons. They have no wings and fly only by magic.

    Their color is random when born and different colors can breed and produce different color offspring this is a major issues as no other dragons can do this the black flight spent thousands of years trying to interbreed dragons artificially. Some even change color after birth. They also have no unique abilities tied to color like other dragons.

    The origin of Cloud Serpents is tied to the well of eternity with all other Wild Gods so its likely that they are just animals mutated by the well with Heavenly and Thundering Could Serpents being more magically empowered sub species.
    Last edited by Nathreim; 2022-05-19 at 02:46 PM.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathreim View Post
    They are not related to the Aspects and they are likely not even dragons. They break with too many rules we have seen with other dragons.

    They have smooth eggs while all dragons and protodrakes have rough spiked eggs.

    They don't have 6 limbs like all other dragons. They have no wings and fly only by magic.

    Their color is random when born and different colors can breed and produce different color offspring this is a major issues as no other dragons can do this the black flight spent thousands of years trying to interbreed dragons artificially. Some even change color after birth. They also have no unique abilities tied to color like other dragons.

    The origin of Cloud Serpents is tied to the well of eternity with all other Wild Gods so its likely that they are just animals mutated by the well with Heavenly and Thundering Could Serpents being more magically empowered sub species.
    They're tameable by Hunters too, though I wonder if Blizzard will open regular dragons up for Hunters in DF.

  9. #9
    Do we know if the Dragons for flying in Dragon Isles are actual "mounts" or "vehicles". If they are mounts are they useable outside of the DI. Do they count towards your mount total? It sounds like they are being used as vehicles only.
    "The customer is always right" is a nice way of saying "I will put up with your bullshit as long as you pay me"

  10. #10
    I'm happy if I can somethow turn the think into a storm dragon (drake), that's all I really want, fuck proto drakes and that dino shit some of the other screenshots showed.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Redwyrm View Post
    Do we know if the Dragons for flying in Dragon Isles are actual "mounts" or "vehicles". If they are mounts are they useable outside of the DI. Do they count towards your mount total? It sounds like they are being used as vehicles only.
    They are supposed to be special and at first only native to the dragon isles. I would assume they work a bit like a vehicle (sans the interface) and zone specific extra buttons. I don't think they actually fit into the current mount system as they are - at least conceptually. Well, we did have paintable mounts in BfA though, maybe they managed to extend that. But even then, I think stuff like the sea horse is also still limited to Vashjir.
    #1) MMO-C should be glad that the British Empire is no more, because they'd want a piece of all the copium trade here.
    #2) Angry players come to the forums to complain about the game... but what loser only comes to the forums to complain about the forums and its users?
    #3)Felating Blizzard too eagerly may lead to oxygen deficiency and worst case asphyxiation. Long-term effects range from delusions up to cerebral necrosis. #4) The WoW playerbase doesn't deserve housing.

  11. #11
    The Patient Puxycat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Twisting Nether
    Posts
    312
    I hope they give death knights undead dragon options too
    A very cool signature text.

  12. #12
    Warchief Lady Atia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    The Rumour Tower
    Posts
    2,014
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Janitor View Post
    I'm happy if I can somethow turn the think into a storm dragon (drake), that's all I really want, fuck proto drakes and that dino shit some of the other screenshots showed.

    - - - Updated - - -



    They are supposed to be special and at first only native to the dragon isles. I would assume they work a bit like a vehicle (sans the interface) and zone specific extra buttons. I don't think they actually fit into the current mount system as they are - at least conceptually. Well, we did have paintable mounts in BfA though, maybe they managed to extend that. But even then, I think stuff like the sea horse is also still limited to Vashjir.
    We'll get four different mounts with 10.0 - it's possible we will get one or two more base models as patch content down the line.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Puxycat View Post
    I hope they give death knights undead dragon options too
    Blizzard:"Toothless, best i can do"
    Quote Originally Posted by Varx View Post
    This is a question for you Tinker haters out there.
    I already know that Tinker is the most probable class for 10.0, so probable that's it's practically a certainty.
    Regardless, since many of you disagree, what then is the most realistic class to be added for 10.0.
    Try to be neutral about it, no biasis.Maybe this exercise will help you see the light.

  14. #14
    The Insane Val the Moofia Boss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    16,094
    I know Cloud Serpents make no sense lore wise, but the story after MoP is complete nonsense fanfiction anyway, so why not just give the players what they want? Customizeable cloud serpents!

    Traditional adult sized dragons are an obvious must. Would be cool if you could get a dragon that looks like Steve Weston's art for Dragonriders of Pern:




    or oldschool D&D art from the likes of Larry Elmore and Clyde Caldwell:


  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    I know Cloud Serpents make no sense lore wise, but the story after MoP is complete nonsense fanfiction anyway, so why not just give the players what they want?
    Because cloud serpents have a totally different physiology that doesn't make sense for most of the animations and abilities. Everything is built around wings and wing-based flight, flapping to gain altitude, drawing wings in when diving then throwing them out to catch the air and pull out of dives and glide, banking by angling the wings sideways, pulling the wings in to barrel roll and gain momentum forward.

    Cloud serpents just swim through the air. It makes no sense for them to ever lose altitude because their default state is floating and they aren't relying on actual physics to stay in the air, just straight up magic (I don't mean this from a lore point of view, I mean that physics wise, there's no way for a cloud serpent like dragon to operate even remotely like an actual aircraft/dragon/bird because instead of having flying apparatuses, they simply levitate). How is a cloud serpent gliding downwards with nothing to glide on? How are they suddenly pulling out a dive without wings to brake?

    You might be able to get away with some secondary winged species like the Heart of the Aspects, but actual cloud serpents don't really mesh well with the system itself.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiivar86 View Post
    Cloud serpents aren't really related to the rest of the Azerothian dragons, at least according to lore tweets from a while back (could always be retconned though).
    - Pterodactyls are unrelated to dragons, but they made a dragon-riding model with those aninations, so relation isn't really relevant.

    - Heart of the Aspects predates the Cloud Serpents, and that is definitely a dragon, created by the combined power of the Dragon Aspects.

    I'd argue that a dragon with Cloud Serpent skeleton would be better suited for dragon-riding than the velocidrake or whatever its called...

  17. #17
    Two of the dragons aren't even dragons. they're wyverns.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    Two of the dragons aren't even dragons. they're wyverns.
    This is a totally arbitrary distinction that is largely made up, and has no real consistency despite a lot of people subscribing to it.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    This is a totally arbitrary distinction that is largely made up, and has no real consistency despite a lot of people subscribing to it.
    It's really not. If it has four limbs and wings, it's a dragon. If it only has legs and wings, it's a wyvern. This is a super common fantasy distinction.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    Because cloud serpents have a totally different physiology that doesn't make sense for most of the animations and abilities. Everything is built around wings and wing-based flight, flapping to gain altitude, drawing wings in when diving then throwing them out to catch the air and pull out of dives and glide, banking by angling the wings sideways, pulling the wings in to barrel roll and gain momentum forward.

    Cloud serpents just swim through the air. It makes no sense for them to ever lose altitude because their default state is floating and they aren't relying on actual physics to stay in the air, just straight up magic (I don't mean this from a lore point of view, I mean that physics wise, there's no way for a cloud serpent like dragon to operate even remotely like an actual aircraft/dragon/bird because instead of having flying apparatuses, they simply levitate). How is a cloud serpent gliding downwards with nothing to glide on? How are they suddenly pulling out a dive without wings to brake?

    You might be able to get away with some secondary winged species like the Heart of the Aspects, but actual cloud serpents don't really mesh well with the system itself.
    Cloud Serpents obviously fly with gems and limestone. See there's an explanation right here https://youtu.be/j0j0Bjy6hFc

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •