Page 1 of 4
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1
    Stood in the Fire Wylyth1992's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    North America
    Posts
    459

    Chromie Time Should Be Available To All Players, Not Just Veterans

    Like, if I as a "new" player want to start in Burning Crusade content after reaching level 10, I should be able to, and I should be able to queue for those dungeons (another reason is my computer is not very good in modern terms and so I would have a much better time playing older content). Right now, I can only access BFA dungeons.

    - - - Updated - - -

    I wonder why no one has responded to this?

  2. #2
    I think originally Blizz tied BfA as the first player start because of how it connects to Shadowlands... but with a new expansion on the horizon, they still require new players to play through BfA yet they can skip Shadowlands and it wouldn't be a requirement to do the next expansion.

    The only reason why (to my understanding) is because of Wrathion plays a big role at the end of BfA's cycle.. but most players are not gonna be concerned with doing that content and just wanna move to the next expansion.

    Honestly, I think regardless of how a new player starts in WoW, they're gonna be largely confused with the plot and where to start... TBC will only confuse them further because it's content that's over a decade old. They're better off playing WoW classic to get an understanding of TBC or Wrath's plotlines.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Wylyth1992 View Post
    I wonder why no one has responded to this?
    Perhaps because your argument consists of "Because I want to" and knowing what the intention is behind not allowing it means you wanting to is irrelevant and as such, there is no real discussion to be had. Other than others saying "But I totally want it too".

  4. #4
    Stood in the Fire Wylyth1992's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    North America
    Posts
    459
    Quote Originally Posted by Throwme View Post
    Perhaps because your argument consists of "Because I want to" and knowing what the intention is behind not allowing it means you wanting to is irrelevant and as such, there is no real discussion to be had. Other than others saying "But I totally want it too".
    I mean, I also posted that my computer is not very good, so that is another reason I want to play older content. And I know the intention, I just don't agree with it.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Woggmer View Post
    I think originally Blizz tied BfA as the first player start because of how it connects to Shadowlands... but with a new expansion on the horizon, they still require new players to play through BfA yet they can skip Shadowlands and it wouldn't be a requirement to do the next expansion.

    The only reason why (to my understanding) is because of Wrathion plays a big role at the end of BfA's cycle.. but most players are not gonna be concerned with doing that content and just wanna move to the next expansion.

    Honestly, I think regardless of how a new player starts in WoW, they're gonna be largely confused with the plot and where to start... TBC will only confuse them further because it's content that's over a decade old. They're better off playing WoW classic to get an understanding of TBC or Wrath's plotlines.
    I don't like the gameplay of Classic, which is a shame because I feel story wise it was better.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Wylyth1992 View Post
    Like, if I as a "new" player want to start in Burning Crusade content after reaching level 10, I should be able to, and I should be able to queue for those dungeons (another reason is my computer is not very good in modern terms and so I would have a much better time playing older content). Right now, I can only access BFA dungeons.

    - - - Updated - - -

    I wonder why no one has responded to this?
    They really need to redo leveling. It's insane how as a new player you are FORCED into BfA, the worst expansion to date. It's something they need to rush to leave behind, but not, they are actively funneling people through that shit fest.

  6. #6
    Stood in the Fire Wylyth1992's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    North America
    Posts
    459
    Quote Originally Posted by Accendor View Post
    They really need to redo leveling. It's insane how as a new player you are FORCED into BfA, the worst expansion to date. It's something they need to rush to leave behind, but not, they are actively funneling people through that shit fest.
    I have no problem with it being the default option, but if a player wants to go find Chromie and do Chromie Time, they should be able to, Veteran or not. Freedom of choice.

  7. #7
    I agree with you OP, if a player doesn't give a shit about the story then they should be free to go wherever they want to go.
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself

  8. #8
    You are all talking from the perspective of a person who has played the game before.

    They want people to play through Exiles -> BFA because it's the most "Vanilla-like" experience possible and requires essentially no former background knowledge.

    It's also refined and has good gameplay unlike TBC or Wrath zones which are ultimate turn-offs.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Wylyth1992 View Post
    I wonder why no one has responded to this?
    Because all your threads are non-issues and you don't seem to think about what you write before you write it.

    Reasons why your idea is bad:

    - new players are easily overwhelmed and it's better to have a strict leveling curve
    - new players don't know about chromie time anyway
    - if you queue for other dungeons, the queue times get longer. making BfA the standard increases the pool of players within it, thus reducing queue times
    - leveling doesn't take long anyway
    - Blizzard wants to tell a coherent story (aka the Sylvanas arc)

  10. #10
    Stood in the Fire Wylyth1992's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    North America
    Posts
    459
    Quote Originally Posted by LordVargK View Post
    Because all your threads are non-issues and you don't seem to think about what you write before you write it.

    Reasons why your idea is bad:

    - new players are easily overwhelmed and it's better to have a strict leveling curve
    - new players don't know about chromie time anyway
    - if you queue for other dungeons, the queue times get longer. making BfA the standard increases the pool of players within it, thus reducing queue times
    - leveling doesn't take long anyway
    - Blizzard wants to tell a coherent story (aka the Sylvanas arc)
    All my other threads have responses, even if people don't agree with me.

    Also, like I said, I am technically not a "new" player. I have been around since late Legion. But because I have never gotten to max level, I am not considered a veteran.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Woggmer View Post
    I think originally Blizz tied BfA as the first player start because of how it connects to Shadowlands... but with a new expansion on the horizon, they still require new players to play through BfA yet they can skip Shadowlands and it wouldn't be a requirement to do the next expansion.

    The only reason why (to my understanding) is because of Wrathion plays a big role at the end of BfA's cycle.. but most players are not gonna be concerned with doing that content and just wanna move to the next expansion.
    It's one of the reasons.Though I think the most important is that BfA is just simply less jarring than Shadowlands to new players. Kul'Tiras and Zandalar are more representative of what WoW has to offer than this weird and wacky place in the afterlife.

    BfA has players arrive in a relatively stable place, there's no culture shock, there's no immediate calamity about to unfold. Players are slowly led into the setting. If there's no world rehaul after Dragonflight, it wouldn't surprise me if BfA remains the default starting content for new players.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wylyth1992 View Post
    I have no problem with it being the default option, but if a player wants to go find Chromie and do Chromie Time, they should be able to, Veteran or not. Freedom of choice.
    Sure, but that's an obscure situation where a player has a fresh account and knows exactly where they want to go. Could easily be solved by having some hard to find NPC that a player can talk to that unlocks the rest of Chromie Time that the other beginners can easily skip over. But at the same time, it's a very small demographic to accomodate.
    Last edited by Iain; 2022-05-22 at 02:32 PM.

  12. #12
    For better or worse, the leveling experience in BFA is about as 'modern WoW' as it gets. The experience is grounded, it differs entirely between factions, and it encapsulates the general 'feel' of WoW and its setting without leaning too heavily on events in past expansions to understand why you're there and what you're doing. It's the perfect expansion for a new player to get their start in the game.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wylyth1992 View Post
    Like, if I as a "new" player want to start in Burning Crusade content after reaching level 10, I should be able to, and I should be able to queue for those dungeons
    But because I have never gotten to max level
    Just... get to max level. There's really no better solution to what you're talking about
    Last edited by CalamityHeart; 2022-05-22 at 02:40 PM.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Accendor View Post
    They really need to redo leveling. It's insane how as a new player you are FORCED into BfA, the worst expansion to date. It's something they need to rush to leave behind, but not, they are actively funneling people through that shit fest.
    Actually the way quest worked in BfA vs in other expansions i would say it might not be best expansion, but its one of the best for new players.

  14. #14
    Brewmaster Pakheth's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    The cold hell known as Norway
    Posts
    1,423
    Honestly I think Legion would have been a better starting point storywise but then they would have to unfuck the artefact weapons or else it would feel clunky.
    Both BfA and Legion has the "choose your first zone" and the story in Legion hinges less on people knowing who the different characters are. BfA is a very character focused story, on a very set few characters even, and the Horde and Alliance questing experience and story is wastly different from each other.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Iain View Post
    It's one of the reasons.Though I think the most important is that BfA is just simply less jarring than Shadowlands to new players. Kul'Tiras and Zandalar are more representative of what WoW has to offer than this weird and wacky place in the afterlife.

    BfA has players arrive in a relatively stable place, there's no culture shock, there's no immediate calamity about to unfold. Players are slowly led into the setting. If there's no world rehaul after Dragonflight, it wouldn't surprise me if BfA remains the default starting content for new players.
    Fair.. And most of the Allied Races are locked behind BfA content. So if people wanted Dark Irons, Mag'har, Zandalari, Kul'tirans, Mechagnomes, and Vulpera.. BfA would be a good starting point I suppose.

  16. #16
    Exactly, and they should be able to not start at Exile's Reach too. Imagine you're a new player that just did the three Warcraft games and wow classic, you then have to skip 7 expansions of stories and spoil yourself quit a lot of things before being able to start kind of where you left.

    Of course add a warning saying that starting at Exile's Reach and BFA is advised for new players, but don't make it mandatory, reducing possibilities in a game is pretty much always a bad idea.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Accendor View Post
    They really need to redo leveling. It's insane how as a new player you are FORCED into BfA, the worst expansion to date. It's something they need to rush to leave behind, but not, they are actively funneling people through that shit fest.
    Bfa, WoD & Legion have by far the best leveling experiences in WoW. Out of these three BfA might be the worst one, but there is an acceptable reasoning behind this choice. Leveling is not why BfA is touted by many as a bad expansion & new players won't see the content responsible for that before jumping into SL, DF.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Zardas View Post
    Exactly, and they should be able to not start at Exile's Reach too. Imagine you're a new player that just did the three Warcraft games and wow classic, you then have to skip 7 expansions of stories and spoil yourself quit a lot of things before being able to start kind of where you left.

    Of course add a warning saying that starting at Exile's Reach and BFA is advised for new players, but don't make it mandatory, reducing possibilities in a game is pretty much always a bad idea.
    What does Exiles Reach -> BfA spoil?

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Makorus View Post
    What does Exiles Reach -> BfA spoil?
    The Horde is not under Thrall's command, the alliance is under Anduin command (who's is just a child if you've stopped at the end of classic) and basically pretty much everything in between. If you want to play for the story, you don't want to skip 7 expansions, simple.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Zardas View Post
    The Horde is not under Thrall's command, the alliance is under Anduin command (who's is just a child if you've stopped at the end of classic) and basically pretty much everything in between. If you want to play for the story, you don't want to skip 7 expansions, simple.
    That would be ruined anyway. Thrall hasn't been sitting on the throne in Orgrimmar since before Cataclysm. That was when they really destroyed everything being time ambivalent.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •