Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Why would you look for realistic depiction of animals in game like Wow? It was never realistic and new graphics are much better in showing that than old ones. Old ones are just plain bad if you look at them. Next thing you gonna say old rat and praire dogs are amazing and much better than new ones.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Brenz View Post
    The whole game since cata has gone cartoony. I cannot stand how tarren mill looks like something out of a Tim Burton movie
    I do wanna point out btw i went and compared, fun thing to note, the tarren mill buildings are literally from wotlk. so idk mate, maybe your issue is with wotlk, not cata. cause wotlk is when undead finally got their own aesthetic instead of "lets just get abandoned human places, and put undead in them"

Dragonblight.

Howling Fjord

Tarren mills
    Last edited by FelPlague; 2022-05-24 at 08:14 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    ????
    What are you on about?

"Hyena" -------------------------------------------------------------- "Raw pastry Claymation"
    Mate I think you need LASIK surgery.

- - - Updated - - -

"grimdark" lol what? the game was never grim dark what in the hell are you on about my dude?
    Show me this "grimdark"
    hell retail wow looks closer to warhammer and grimdark then classic does.
    The first pic is different from the one i spoke about, the second though, are you seriously trying to tell me that you do not see the soft stylised shapes common in claymation?
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

Maybe they dont care as much about old content. I think they should though
    Ideas:
    Self Adventuring
    PVP Public Events
    "Steal the shit out of my ideas"

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by loras View Post
    The first pic is different from the one i spoke about, the second though, are you seriously trying to tell me that you do not see the soft stylised shapes common in claymation?
    how is the first one different from the one you spoke about? that is THE hyena model.
    And by "claymation soft styalized shapes" do you mean the round and more detailed cartoonish graphics instead of jagged models with low polygon counts or EXTREMLY relalistic models we see in other games?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Uoyredrum View Post
    New models don't fit into the old game very well. It looks like shit when they change them in retail, it would look like shit if they did it in TBC classic. Besides, it's classic not WoW Remastered.

Also, a lot of the new models, animations and spell effects look like shit compared to the old ones. I'd rather they just left it alone and kept the old stuff.
    Well, the topic is progression servers, not soft classic.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zulggun View Post
    Why would you look for realistic depiction of animals in game like Wow? It was never realistic and new graphics are much better in showing that than old ones. Old ones are just plain bad if you look at them. Next thing you gonna say old rat and praire dogs are amazing and much better than new ones.
    It is common bullshit arguments to compare something of pixels to that of real-life when real life is only the reference to create something different in a digital world that is not Earth in the first place, but people claiming the old models are much better are just stuck in the past, some of the new models might be a little off but they are still better than being stuck in the past like some people are.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Zulggun View Post
    1. Nobody is asking for realism.
    2. Of course the newer graphics are higher fidelity. The complaint is about the art direction, not the graphical fidelity.
    "stop puting you idiotic liberal words into my mouth"
    -ynnady

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    The new models look terrible and too cartoony so no thanks
    The aesthetics, character, and identity of Warcraft, are a brush of cartoony models. We are not meant to go away from what we are and look like most the other MMOs.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    It is common bullshit arguments to compare something of pixels to that of real-life when real life is only the reference to create something different in a digital world that is not Earth in the first place, but people claiming the old models are much better are just stuck in the past, some of the new models might be a little off but they are still better than being stuck in the past like some people are.
    The old models had a distinctly different art direction than the newer models. You can even see it in the concept art. You would think that as the graphical fidelity increased it would grow CLOSER to that concept art, but instead it actually drifted further away toward a more children's cartoon aesthetic. There is nothing objectively wrong with that aesthetic, but denying that this is the case is ridiculous.

- - - Updated - - -

The aesthetics, character, and identity of Warcraft, are a brush of cartoony models. We are not meant to go away from what we are and look like most the other MMOs.
    The aesthetic of the original concept art for Warcraft was very inspired by 80s indie comic books, like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and Warhammer Fantasy. It was not this bubble, bouncy, neon-lit aesthetic we have now.

You can like the new aesthetic without denying this basic reality.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is a good example:

That's original Tauren concept art. Do you actually believe that the model in the game reflects that aesthetic? The concept art is a brutal, gritty minotaur warrior. The model in the game is My Friend The Happy Fun Cowman.
    -ynnady

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    The old models had a distinctly different art direction than the newer models. You can even see it in the concept art. You would think that as the graphical fidelity increased it would grow CLOSER to that concept art, but instead it actually drifted further away toward a more children's cartoon aesthetic. There is nothing objectively wrong with that aesthetic, but denying that this is the case is ridiculous.

- - - Updated - - -

The aesthetic of the original concept art for Warcraft was very inspired by 80s indie comic books, like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and Warhammer Fantasy. It was not this bubble, bouncy, neon-lit aesthetic we have now.

You can like the new aesthetic without denying this basic reality.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is a good example:

That's original Tauren concept art. Do you actually believe that the model in the game reflects that aesthetic? The concept art is a brutal, gritty minotaur warrior. The model in the game is My Friend The Happy Fun Cowman.
    lol comparing concept art to models, did the original vanilla models convey that concept art? what about the warcraft models?
    nothing, because that concept art is very specific. You are saying "wow look at the original concept art its so burtal and dark! they ruined it by making the game all cartoony later in life!" boy it was this way since day 1.

Also someone has not played much in legion or cata's stonetalon.
    Last edited by FelPlague; 2022-05-24 at 10:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbidaggy View Post
    Was anything updated in TBC and Wrath after the model updates?

I don’t think there was anything which would mean that mixing both new and old would look weird AF and they don’t want to do that
    WotLK got numerous updates when a new model for a given creature type was updated. Banshees, Val'kyr etc. got updated pretty much across the board. And that's despite the updates happening at different times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

Personally I prefer how it is, because its what seperates tbc with Legion

10+ Year Old Account
    I like going back in old content and see the world exactly as it was. I don't want to level a new character on classic for that purpose.

Blizzard is just kind of weird with their model updates. You'll often get newer models replacing older ones, but just as often they'll be considered as separate for good or arbitrary reasons.

If you look at the fox model from Legion, for example, it can't replace the old foxes because it has like 5 animations total (someone mentioned the mo'arg brutes, which are also a completely different kind of creature when compared to the little hooded things from TBC or the larger techno weirdos).

Then you have Draenor wolves, which would in theory be the same creatures as many Azeroth wolves and share their animations, but do not replace any. Which is made weirder by Legion introducing yet another wolf/worg and replacing no old models with it (though in this case I think the design is different enough to keep it separate).

You could argue the infernals are stylistically different from their old version too, though it's hard to even get what the old one was going for.

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    lol comparing concept art to models, did the original vanilla models convey that concept art? what about the warcraft models?
    nothing, because that concept art is very specific. You are saying "wow look at the original concept art its so burtal and dark! they ruined it by making the game all cartoony later in life!" boy it was this way since day 1.

Also someone has not played much in legion or cata's stonetalon.
    Is the original exactly like the concept art? No. Is it a shitload closer than the new one? Absolutely.
    -ynnady

Quote Originally Posted by Mehrunes View Post
    WotLK got numerous updates when a new model for a given creature type was updated. Banshees, Val'kyr etc. got updated pretty much across the board. And that's despite the updates happening at different times.
    Those also would have been updated models on the existing model. They have made new models since then and not updated the old models

Is it a shitload closer than the new one? Absolutely.
    Not even a little, honestly. The body isn't any different, WoD model tauren are much shaggier than the originals in skin texture (i.e. closer to the concept art), and you can plainly see that facially the new model is much closer than the old version's no jaw'd 90% nostril crap.

What are you even seeing that puts it closer?

Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    Not even a little, honestly. The body isn't any different, WoD model tauren are much shaggier than the originals in skin texture (i.e. closer to the concept art), and you can plainly see that facially the new model is much closer than the old version's no jaw'd 90% nostril crap.

What are you even seeing that puts it closer?

The more dramatic shading, the less human-like hands, the texture of the face, the coarse looking hair as opposed to the Beauty and the Beast mane...
    -ynnady

The more dramatic shading, the less human-like hands, the texture of the face, the coarse looking hair as opposed to the Beauty and the Beast mane...
    I will give you dramatic shading, putting aside that it looks like ass in-game.

But your hands point makes absolutely no sense when that is entirely in line with the art you linked, which has extremely human hands, not weird hoof-grabbers, your facial texture point is just wrong, the artwork's nose and skin texture is much closer to the new model than the older one's weird more cow-like look any shiny nostrils, and the coarse hair is also totally wrong, because you can see that the old model is much smoother than the visible coarse fur of the new model that's in-line with the artwork--I might give you the mane (again ignoring that it's a pixelated mess) if the artwork's mane was course and rough looking, but it 100% isn't. It's regular flowing hair.

Meanwhile the new model also updates the jewlery and horn caps to not look like cartoony baubles, the eyes are sharper and much closer to the artwork compared to the wonky, blankly staring older version, the entire facial structure is much closer, the hooves are actual worn hooves instead of smooth, shiny metal, the muscles are much more vascular and well defined on the new model (again, in line with the artwork), the underwear is actual well constructed leather clothing like the artwork instead of some weird rag diaper.

I fail to see how the new model is anything but a step up if what you want stylistically is that artwork. If you want terrible lighting for the sake of dramatic contrast, bump your monitor contrast up--it's the same low quality effect the older model used.

7+ Year Old Account
    Is the original exactly like the concept art? No. Is it a shitload closer than the new one? Absolutely.
    lol what? in what world is the old one closer?