Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Then I missed that part of the post, my apologies. No, AU Draenor is not Outland, Outland is not AU Draenor, two different universes, two different times of development, two different fates. They do not substitute. Outland does not need new demon models until Outland is updated, and the update hopefully, follows the shitshow that Outland is in, a crumbling mess with the inability to feed everything there.
    Pretty much. Love AU Draenor though, gorgeous setting. But Outland is one of the most interesting set pieces Blizzard has created. It makes absolutely no sense but certain parts of it (the Netherstorm in particular with the Manaforges and the Biodomes) I would love to see reimagined in HD.

However new models have been added by substitution in many zones of the old world that have not themselves been changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    Just curious is this the overhaul in FFXIV your referring to?

Yes it is.
    "stop puting you idiotic liberal words into my mouth"
    -ynnady

Quote Originally Posted by Nalam the Venom View Post
    I think they overwrite old ones.

I’ve been doing a lot of transmogg runs recently and i’m surprised when i see new models in a raid from an expansion long ago.
    I'm just going to add the "Proof" here for what i said earlier.

New models of Faceless void mobs found in Bastion of twilight.

and a fire elemental outside of BRD

Last edited by Nalam the Venom; 2022-05-27 at 11:44 AM.

Awsome signature and avatar made by Kuragalolz

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    Yes it is.
    It's because their Models were already much higher Poly count than WoW's were. Please don't tell me you think these upgrades are anywhere near the scope of Vanilla WoW models to WoD.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Kami Dende View Post
    It's because their Models were already much higher Poly count than WoW's were. Please don't tell me you think these upgrades are anywhere near the scope of Vanilla WoW models to WoD.
    If you attempt to retain the artistic style, the changes are going to be significantly less dramatic. That's the whole point I was making. The scope of the WoD changes was only as large as it was because it also included shifting the art style to the American children's cartoon style, and I don't use that terminology derisively. I love lots of games that have that art style, but it is not the art style of the original game.
    -ynnady

Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    Just curious is this the overhaul in FFXIV your referring to?
    Saying that's a overhaul is a huge stretch.
    Just increased texture resolution and updating shader quality.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    Also revamping textures and lighting entirely, and redoing areas to have more environmental objects. It's an overhaul of the graphics entirely, not just player character models. And none of it dramatically changes the art style, purposefully.
    -ynnady

Also revamping textures and lighting entirely, and redoing areas to have more environmental objects. It's an overhaul of the graphics entirely, not just player character models. And none of it dramatically changes the art style, purposefully.
    It's more of an engine update tbh. But that's just semantics, since the scope you mention would be enough for it to be an engine overhaul / update.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

10+ Year Old Account
    If you attempt to retain the artistic style, the changes are going to be significantly less dramatic. That's the whole point I was making. The scope of the WoD changes was only as large as it was because it also included shifting the art style to the American children's cartoon style, and I don't use that terminology derisively. I love lots of games that have that art style, but it is not the art style of the original game.
    The fuck are you even talking about. WoW was ALWAYS Cartoonish. Hell Warcraft as a Franchise from the beginning was always stylistically more Cartoonish than "gritty"

The fuck are you even talking about. WoW was ALWAYS Cartoonish. Hell Warcraft as a Franchise from the beginning was always stylistically more Cartoonish than "gritty"
    "Cartoonish" is meaningless. There are a billion styles of cartoon. You can be everything from The Simpsons to Akira and be "cartoonish". The contention here has never been that Warcraft has ever had some super gritty realistic style. However, it also was not this overtly American children's cartoon style. It was closer to Warhammer Fantasy, which had a style informed by early pulp comics. It had a dash of 80s comics thrown in there, like TMNT (the comics not the cartoon) and some other influences, but it certainly bore far more resemblance to Warhammer Fantasy and old school pulp illustration than it did a Saturday morning cartoon. The style now is bouncy, bubbly, almost Simpsons-esque in the way the characters animate with a slight amount of rubber. The palette is consistently bright and the architecture is exaggerated and distorted. Look at the newer hyena model that has been highlighted in this thread. It wouldn't look out of place in Shrek. It is closer to the hyenas from Lion King than anything else, and even then it is even more stylized than that.

There is nothing intrinsically wrong with that style. I love plenty of things that use that style. However, to say that it is the original style is objectively false.
    -ynnady

I asked myself the same thing when it comes to the Big Battle Bear Trading Card Game Mount. There are new good looking Bear models in the game but yet that mount doesnt get the new model but the other bear mounts got the new model...

10+ Year Old Account
    "Cartoonish" is meaningless. There are a billion styles of cartoon. You can be everything from The Simpsons to Akira and be "cartoonish". The contention here has never been that Warcraft has ever had some super gritty realistic style. However, it also was not this overtly American children's cartoon style. It was closer to Warhammer Fantasy, which had a style informed by early pulp comics. It had a dash of 80s comics thrown in there, like TMNT (the comics not the cartoon) and some other influences, but it certainly bore far more resemblance to Warhammer Fantasy and old school pulp illustration than it did a Saturday morning cartoon. The style now is bouncy, bubbly, almost Simpsons-esque in the way the characters animate with a slight amount of rubber. The palette is consistently bright and the architecture is exaggerated and distorted. Look at the newer hyena model that has been highlighted in this thread. It wouldn't look out of place in Shrek. It is closer to the hyenas from Lion King than anything else, and even then it is even more stylized than that.

There is nothing intrinsically wrong with that style. I love plenty of things that use that style. However, to say that it is the original style is objectively false.
    As someone who has played Warcraft Games since 1996 until BFA. I find literally nothing overtly different in their Style other than the fact it is of higher resolution now.

this dude has been trying to deny it for how many days now? i would give up, his proof is... some samwise concept art... that is all the proof he needs in his opinion.

As someone who has played Warcraft Games since 1996 until BFA. I find literally nothing overtly different in their Style other than the fact it is of higher resolution now.
    I provided a comprehensive description of the styles in question here, and you just said "nuh uh" so it is pretty clear you don't really have an argument to make here. If you think that these two images represent the same art style, I don't know what to tell you expect that you maybe just don't have a fundamental understanding of illustration and animation. Nobody is saying you have to care, or that you have to like one style or the other, but acting like there is no difference here is absurd:

The newer model is CLEARLY closer to an American children's animation style than anything else, and the old one distinctly is not.
    -ynnady

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    From the looks of it if nothing else there is a pretty extensive lighting over haul.

Though I wouldn’t quite say the lighting overhaul retained the art style if that picture with the fairy is any thing to go by as it drastically changes the feel of the room and fairy to me. But I don’t have the context to know how the fairy and room are suppose to feel so it could be that the post update fits the context better.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.