Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ...
2
3
4
5
6
... LastLast
  1. #61
    Stop derailing this thread with nation bashing. This is your one and only warning.

  2. #62
    Immortal jackofwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    7,682
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Stop derailing this thread with nation bashing. This is your one and only warning.
    This whole thread was started by a data collection bot lol. There is nothing here of substance.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

  3. #63
    Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    This whole thread was started by a data collection bot lol. There is nothing here of substance.
    Bruh,

    I'm not a bot ok.
    Last edited by Axelthefox; 2022-05-24 at 08:58 PM.

  4. #64
    As far as I know its mostly popular in Scandinavian countries.

  5. #65
    Quote Originally Posted by Axelthefox View Post
    Bruh,

    I'm not a bot ok.

    I was at one time belonged to a vigilante group in a online game that went after troublemakers, group has been disbanded.

    But i am still trying to do vigilante means to get rid of troublemakers in a online game.

    Also, reported
    What does this entire post even mean...

    Quote Originally Posted by azshanna View Post
    As far as I know its mostly popular in Scandinavian countries.

    It's also pretty popular in Germany, The Netherlands, Belgium, and I believe, the Balkans.
    Camilla: You, sir, should unmask.
    Stranger: Indeed?
    Cassilda: Indeed, it's time. We have all laid aside disguise but you.
    Stranger: I wear no mask.
    Camilla: (Terrified, aside to Cassilda.) No mask? No mask!

  6. #66
    Quote Originally Posted by The King in Yellow View Post
    What does this entire post even mean...

    Sorry, they made me mad by those false accusations

    I wonder if someone can be sued for making false accusations like that.
    Last edited by Axelthefox; 2022-05-24 at 08:59 PM.

  7. #67
    Quote Originally Posted by Zardas View Post
    Even those two are not exceptions : Antartica is not a country, and Australia is not a continent (the continent is Oceania)
    Two things: I goofed when I said Antarctica and I swear I thought it was Australia. Regardless, I removed that part of my post.

  8. #68
    Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    This whole thread was started by a data collection bot lol. There is nothing here of substance.
    You're good at this lmao

  9. #69
    Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    This whole thread was started by a data collection bot lol. There is nothing here of substance.
    He's not a bot, he's a furry that tried to fight back against accusations that furries were all sexual degenerates... only to then post about how much of a sexual deviant he was.

  10. #70
    Quote Originally Posted by geographyrealm.com/geography-of-heavy-metal-bands
    As an absolute number, the United States stands out as the country with the most heavy metal bands. With 17,557 active entries in the Encyclopaedia Metallum, the United States has more than three times the number of bands that than the second country on the list: Germany with 5,726.
    That's as of May 3rd of last year.

    It's not even close. That's over 20% of all the heavy metal bands on the planet. From one country.

    And it took all of ten seconds to Google.

  11. #71
    Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    He's not a bot, he's a furry that tried to fight back against accusations that furries were all sexual degenerates... only to then post about how much of a sexual deviant he was.
    I wonder if it is because i have Aspergers.

    People have said at times i have trouble dealing with how to interact with people irl.
    Last edited by Axelthefox; 2022-05-24 at 09:15 PM.

  12. #72
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Yes, a single country is more diverse than a geographic region of 44-50 countries (depending on how you count). Makes total sense.
    Okay, and? Even if I were comparing that (Which I'm not), America has an insane cultural diversity, and I believe if you WERE to compare Europe as a whole (Which I assume is what you're referring to here), you'd still be hard pressed to deny America is very diverse, if not more than the majority of Europe. I won't disagree there are parts where they are more like America (I don't know the exact ones, forgive me), but don't be disingenuous with me either when I'm not even talking about that.

    Back to reality, and my post: America is so large and diverse that when you compare individual countries to it, there is a very high likelihood that America will seem less 'in tune' or as liking of certain genres. It's a confirmation bias, through and through.

    Quote Originally Posted by StillMcfuu View Post
    I think it's important to recognize that a niche visible market isn't representative of a massive popularity.
    I'd argue the opposite (Depending on the country), which still agrees with what you've been saying (As well as I have). A lot of smaller countries share more in common than not. And depending on the country (Like Japan), there will be a largely shared likes and wants in genres. Even if there is diversity there (Because there is), the majority still shows a major favor in one or two directions.
    Last edited by PenguinChan; 2022-05-24 at 11:05 PM.

  13. #73
    Quote Originally Posted by PenguinChan View Post
    Okay, and? Even if I were comparing that (Which I'm not)
    I guess I'm just not sure WHAT "It's because America is more diverse" is supposed to mean, then?

    Quote Originally Posted by PenguinChan View Post
    America has an insane cultural diversity, and I believe if you WERE to compare Europe as a whole (Which I assume is what you're referring to here), you'd still be hard pressed to deny America is very diverse
    I never denied nor would ever deny that America is very diverse. This is a strawman.

    You basically said "well 10,000 is bigger than 11,000", to which I replied "no it's not". And now your objection is "how can you say 10,000 is a small number, it's actually big!" which is AN ENTIRELY DIFFERENT POINT, and one I never objected to, nor would object to.

    Quote Originally Posted by PenguinChan View Post
    Back to reality, and my post: America is so large and diverse that when you compare individual countries to it, there is a very high likelihood that America will seem less 'in tune' or as liking of certain genres.
    This is probably true (for the most part).

    Except of course Europe IS NOT A COUNTRY. You're not comparing one country to another. You're comparing one country to ~50 countries. There is no way no how that you'd have more diversity in that one country than in 50 others.

    Quote Originally Posted by PenguinChan View Post
    And depending on the country (Like Japan), there will be a largely shared likes and wants in genres. Even if there is diversity there (Because there is), the majority still shows a major favor in one or two directions.
    Comparing America to Japan, there is more merit to the point. Although we run into problem there, too, because "genres" is a very tricky category to compare when it comes to Japan. As someone who does a lot of professional work in genre literature in Japan, let me tell you that you will not find a more diverse country ON THE PLANET than Japan when it comes to genres. This has to do with a point I explained in an earlier post: the extreme compression of Japan's population allows for extremely niche genres to flourish. There's bands in Japan that have maybe 300 fans and they survive for years because those fans all live in a giant metropolitan area and single-handedly support that one thing. Hyper-specialization and extreme genre diversity is the hallmark of many forms of Japanese media, made possible precisely by the economies of scales allowed by a dense population and compressed fandom. There's no niche there that isn't filled. Things that would never be economically viable in a million years in other markets can survive there because of it.

    So be careful about the perspective you endorse. If all you're looking at is genres above a certain absolute threshold, then naturally a giant market like the US will show clearer diversification (how could it not, you've set it up that way). But if you're looking at overall diversity regardless of size, that's a very different story.

    Where metal music falls into this, that's difficult to determine; both because of genre boundaries and because of statistical effects contingent on your method of measuring, which can show severe distortions depending on sample size if you're not careful.

  14. #74
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    I guess I'm just not sure WHAT "It's because America is more diverse" is supposed to mean, then?
    It's easy if you just stop to think for a moment, rather than trying to feign ignorance.

    As previously mentioned in my last post, the United States makes up over 20% of the entire globe's collection of heavy metal bands, and is way, way, way out in the lead when compared to its closest rival--Germany. Despite itself being a very, very, very distant third in individual country populations (with India being four times as populous and China being almost five times as).

    Yet here we are, with people like you trying to act befuddled at the idea that the United States even has a single heavy metal band because of how diverse its people's music tastes are (which carries over to just about anything). "Whatever could you MEAN," you pretend to say, touching your chest with your fingertips and batting your eyes in feigned disbelief, "however could ANYONE say such a thing?! Miriam, have you EVER? Ugh!"

    The only person you're convincing of anything other than the objective truth is yourself.
    Last edited by Infinity Cubed; 2022-05-24 at 11:48 PM.

  15. #75
    I thought we left this stuff behind with the previous owners. Let's not go back there.

  16. #76
    Quote Originally Posted by Infinity Cubed View Post
    Yet here we are, with people like you trying to act befuddled at the idea that the United States even has a single heavy metal band because of how diverse its people's music tastes are (which carries over to just about anything). "Whatever could you MEAN," you pretend to say, touching your chest with your fingertips and batting your eyes in feigned disbelief, "however could ANYONE say such a thing?! Miriam, have you EVER? Ugh!"
    I'm not sure your crackers are quite toasted.

    How do you get from "American is more diverse [than Europe?]" to "how dare you suggest America has NO METAL BANDS WHATSOEVER!"?

    I'm talking about that statement only. I'm not saying - anywhere and in any way - that the US doesn't have metal bands, or that it has less metal bands, or anything else. I'm only pointing out that to claim that the US is more diverse than Europe is by pretty much any metric simply an inane statement. Nothing else. I'm not talking about metal bands, or population numbers (how did that even come into this?) or whatever other tangents your rant devolved into.

    All I'm saying is this: to claim the single country of the US is more diverse than the ~50 countries of Europe is ridiculous.

  17. #77
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    I'm not sure your crackers are quite toasted.

    How do you get from "American is more diverse [than Europe?]" to "how dare you suggest America has NO METAL BANDS WHATSOEVER!"?
    Oh, I see. You're one of those people who can't keep up with a conversation from start to finish. Worse, you're one of those people who likes to cherry pick tidbits in a conversation, intentionally misconstrue/twist what was said in context, and then convince yourself that you've somehow "shown them!!!11one" so that you can strut around like a peacock thinking you've "won" and are some kind of intellectual superstar.

    That explains a lot.

  18. #78
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    I guess I'm just not sure WHAT "It's because America is more diverse" is supposed to mean, then?
    So, instead of asking me you were trying to be kind of a smart ass to me out of the blue? C'mon man. I told you what I meant in the response, it was country v country and why that can skew results depending on their size - which is entirely relevant to America due to its sheer size.

    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    I never denied nor would ever deny that America is very diverse. This is a strawman.
    But you definitely smart assed out that America is not more diverse than them. Which, in and of itself, is disingenuous. That's why I said what I did - you implied directly it was less diverse in comparison.

    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Except of course Europe IS NOT A COUNTRY. You're not comparing one country to another. You're comparing one country to ~50 countries. There is no way no how that you'd have more diversity in that one country than in 50 others.
    Agreed, and you're confusing me with the OP who did forget Europe is not a country. I had hoped my direct reference to Europe 'as a whole' would clarify that to you, and humor your comparison itself. That's not my original point, anyways.

    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Comparing America to Japan, there is more merit to the point. Although we run into problem there, too, because "genres" is a very tricky category to compare when it comes to Japan. As someone who does a lot of professional work in genre literature in Japan, let me tell you that you will not find a more diverse country ON THE PLANET than Japan when it comes to genres. This has to do with a point I explained in an earlier post: the extreme compression of Japan's population allows for extremely niche genres to flourish. There's bands in Japan that have maybe 300 fans and they survive for years because those fans all live in a giant metropolitan area and single-handedly support that one thing. Hyper-specialization and extreme genre diversity is the hallmark of many forms of Japanese media, made possible precisely by the economies of scales allowed by a dense population and compressed fandom. There's no niche there that isn't filled. Things that would never be economically viable in a million years in other markets can survive there because of it.

    So be careful about the perspective you endorse. If all you're looking at is genres above a certain absolute threshold, then naturally a giant market like the US will show clearer diversification (how could it not, you've set it up that way). But if you're looking at overall diversity regardless of size, that's a very different story.

    Where metal music falls into this, that's difficult to determine; both because of genre boundaries and because of statistical effects contingent on your method of measuring, which can show severe distortions depending on sample size if you're not careful.
    Personally, and respectively, it sounds like you are trying to proclaim diversity for the technical sake of it - instead of actual clear cut diversity, with actual meaning. Not sub-genres of sub-genres, and niches of niches.

    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    All I'm saying is this: to claim the single country of the US is more diverse than the ~50 countries of Europe is ridiculous.
    Ok. Who said that? I didn't. You put those words in my mouth, and keep going on about it.
    Last edited by PenguinChan; 2022-05-25 at 01:12 AM.

  19. #79
    Quote Originally Posted by PenguinChan View Post
    But you definitely smart assed out that America is not more diverse than them. Which, in and of itself, is disingenuous. That's why I said what I did - you implied directly it was less diverse in comparison.
    I didn't just imply it. I outright say it: the US is less diverse than Europe. I stand by that.

    I'm still not clear on what exactly was meant by "It's because America is more diverse" if it WASN'T intended to be a comparison with Europe. How about instead of trying to smugly deflect you just answer that? That'd help a lot.

    Unless you mean to say "the US compared to any single country in Europe is more diverse" in which case I guess that's true, but also incredibly disingenuous.

    Quote Originally Posted by PenguinChan View Post
    Personally, and respectively, it sounds like you are trying to proclaim diversity for the technical sake of it - instead of actual clear cut diversity, with actual meaning. Not sub-genres of sub-genres, and niches of niches.
    That's what I meant by it not being a surprise if things turn out a certain way when you set it up like that from the start. If you categorically exclude certain criteria, results are skewed. You make it sound like there's some kind of "general diversity" that everyone knows what it is or what you mean, and I'm just trying to split hairs to avoid that - which is completely dishonest. "Diversity" is a very vague term. "Genre" isn't much better. If you want to make actual comparisons, you have to be specific; to just answer with "oh come on obviously I didn't mean THAT!" doesn't help anyone. Either you count everything, or you tell us how and why you're narrowing things down.

    Quote Originally Posted by PenguinChan View Post
    Ok. Who said that? I didn't. You put those words in my mouth, and keep going on about it.
    You didn't, but you responded to my reply to that statement. And the reply was only to that. If you don't want to be part of that conversation, don't insert yourself into it.
    Last edited by Biomega; 2022-05-25 at 01:42 AM.

  20. #80
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    If you don't want to be part of that conversation, don't insert yourself into it.
    The hypocrisy is hilarious.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •