Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ...
6
7
8
9
10
LastLast
  1. #141
    Just got done listening to a lot of Tool and Five Finger Death Punch and I gotta say, metal owns and I wish all americans listened to this |m|
    MMO-Champ users log on and just say things

  2. #142
    Pit Lord RH92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Banská Bystrica, Slovakia
    Posts
    2,383
    Quote Originally Posted by Gib Lover View Post
    Just got done listening to a lot of Tool and Five Finger Death Punch and I gotta say, metal owns and I wish all americans listened to this |m|
    Make sure you don't miss out on Deftones!

  3. #143
    Immortal jackofwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    7,682
    Quote Originally Posted by Gib Lover View Post
    Just got done listening to a lot of Tool and Five Finger Death Punch and I gotta say, metal owns and I wish all americans listened to this |m|
    Don't forget to check out the classic black metal albums Load and ReLoad - considered by many to be the peak of the genre!
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

  4. #144
    Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    Don't forget to check out the classic black metal albums Load and ReLoad - considered by many to be the peak of the genre!
    Now THIS is my speed
    MMO-Champ users log on and just say things

  5. #145
    Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    States in the USA are states. They were never countries.
    Not true. The states were absolutely soverign from 1776 to 1787 and partially soverign after joining the Union.

  6. #146
    Immortal jackofwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    7,682
    Quote Originally Posted by JDL49 View Post
    Not true. The states were absolutely soverign from 1776 to 1787 and partially soverign after joining the Union.
    I heard that if they're smaller than Kentucky they don't qualify as countries.

    Jokes aside, yes there were 10 sovereign states that joined the US. They joined a unified country though, not an economic conglomerate like the EU.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

  7. #147
    Also early metal bands screamed in songs.


  8. #148
    Herald of the Titans Tuor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Valinor
    Posts
    2,639
    Quote Originally Posted by Infinity Cubed View Post
    Considering I lived there for 20 years (nine of which being in Wiesbaden, and another seven in St. Ives), I sincerely doubt it.

    It does show, however, that Europeans such as yourself really hate being compared to the United States. I'll even go out on a limb and say you're likely from England, or at least somewhere nearby.
    Claiming that Europe is homogenous is a nonsense, i can figure a couple of clichés that can define a US culture, but i am yet to find one that can define all of Europe.

    Politics:
    the entire political spectrum is covered and represented in the European Parliament, from far left to far right. The US only has right winged parties.

    +1 point for europe diversity

    Demographics:
    Europe is a dialect continum, this means that nearby regions use a mutual understandable language, but far regions can no longer understand each other. In a practical way, this means that some countries have 3 or more diferent languages. Has a portuguese, my country has 2 languages, portuguese and mirandese.
    There isn't that amount of diversity anywhere in the US, because even the minorities use a common language, english... Well, there isn't any common language in europe.

    +1 point for europe diversity.

    Culture:
    This is where the clichés come on, like muscle car most americans love, or the HUGE SUV truck that they also love, guess what? Nothing similar in europe.

    In terms of culture diversity keeps kicking, for example in terms of food we have the german cliché of sausages and beer, whille here in Portugal is more like sardines and wine, and like languages this diversity extends within a country.

    +1 point for europe diversity.
    __________

    People that say that europe is homogenous must be drunk... or worst.

  9. #149
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuor View Post
    Claiming that Europe is homogenous is a nonsense, i can figure a couple of clichés that can define a US culture, but i am yet to find one that can define all of Europe.
    I invite you to find anywhere that I said Europe was homogenous. Especially in what you quoted, given all I mentioned was that I've lived in several places in Europe for 20 years and am by no means ignorant to how diverse Europe is. (Pro-tip: That's literally the opposite of what you apparently read.)

    Politics:
    the entire political spectrum is covered and represented in the European Parliament, from far left to far right. The US only has right winged parties.

    +1 point for europe diversity

    Demographics:
    Europe is a dialect continum, this means that nearby regions use a mutual understandable language, but far regions can no longer understand each other. In a practical way, this means that some countries have 3 or more diferent languages. Has a portuguese, my country has 2 languages, portuguese and mirandese.
    There isn't that amount of diversity anywhere in the US, because even the minorities use a common language, english... Well, there isn't any common language in europe.

    +1 point for europe diversity.

    Culture:
    This is where the clichés come on, like muscle car most americans love, or the HUGE SUV truck that they also love, guess what? Nothing similar in europe.

    In terms of culture diversity keeps kicking, for example in terms of food we have the german cliché of sausages and beer, whille here in Portugal is more like sardines and wine, and like languages this diversity extends within a country.

    +1 point for europe diversity.
    __________

    People that say that europe is homogenous must be drunk... or worst.
    That said, I don't think "diversity" means what you think it means.

    (And just as an side, there's estimated to be over 400 languages spoken in the United States. Also, just LOL at the other things you pointed out aside from politics, nevermind that a huge segment of Americans despise the two-party system and would love more varied options, but they're currently stuck with two. Any attempt to vote for anything else will lead to absolute atrocities being committed courtesy of the far right.

    But seriously, LOL especially at "all amurikenz luv mussle kars vroom vroom!" Just... Jesus Christ. XD)

  10. #150
    Quote Originally Posted by Gib Lover View Post
    Now THIS is my speed
    I wonder if you ever listened to Swedish or Norwegian Extreme metal?



  11. #151
    Quote Originally Posted by Axelthefox View Post
    I wonder if you ever listened to Swedish or Norwegian Extreme metal?



    nope never
    Last edited by Gib Lover; 2022-05-27 at 02:38 AM.
    MMO-Champ users log on and just say things

  12. #152
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellobolis View Post
    for being such a diverse place, what are the unique music styles that have come from it?
    Jazz. Swing, Be-Bop, Rap, Hip-Hop, Gospel, R&B, The Blues. That enough ?

  13. #153
    The Patient Zendhal The Black's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Proxima Centauri
    Posts
    307
    Maybe because there is no taboo when it comes to metal...

    you can sing about rainbows and butterflyes or you can sing about grinding bones and eating rotting flesh of an aborted fetus

    thta with a fact that people respond to "negative" topics far more than positive it makes mases think that metal is all about death, anger, rage, killeng etc.

    But the fact is, that metal is actually maybe the greatest "tool" to vent out all the "negative emotions" that may trouble you. And it's allways better to vent out your anger screaming it out and moshing to your favourite band than picking a fight with someone

  14. #154
    Quote Originally Posted by Zendhal The Black View Post
    Maybe because there is no taboo when it comes to metal...
    ...as opposed to which genre? Maybe gospel?

  15. #155
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalinos View Post
    Well, we did concede our Monetary Policy. Governments have 2 basic tools to deal with the economy, Fiscal Policy and Monetary Policy. By losing our ability to print money, and handing that power over to the European Central Bank, countries in the EU have lost 1 of the 2 governmental weapons to combat a failing economy. There's no Francs, Drachmas or Gilden anymore, there's only the Euro, controlled by Germany. Therefore, we have not lost our sovereignty, but we have lost 1 of our 2 weapons as governments.
    A fair number of EU countries are not in the Eurozone, the UK, with is British Pound, used to be the most notable example, but beside those who don't make the cut like Bulgaria, Croatia, the Czech Republic, Hungary and Romania, you still have Denmark and Sweden that hold to their krone and krona respectively.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Infinity Cubed View Post
    I mean, that's just not true.

    Everything Europe has, the United States has (population wise). But the United States is also home to significant populations of Native Americans of multiple tribes, as well as South American, Asian, African, and Australian populations. By a large degree, percentage wise. It's literally called "the melting pot" for a reason.

    Also it's always amusing to me how Europeans like to include all of Russia as "theirs" when it suits them, when 75+% of it is clearly in Asia.

    That said, the point the troll made earlier is true, semantics aside. The European Union is doing now essentially what the United States did hundreds of years ago; bringing multiple regions under the umbrella of one governmental rule. And they're doing it for exactly the same reasons, complete with England doing what states like Texas and Florida have only dreamt of accomplishing.
    Have you ever heard of the colonial era? It was a time when World Spanning colonial empires were centered on Western Europe, with substantial numbers of Europeans migrating to those Empires or their break-away pieces like the US.

    There had already been some reverse migration prior, but the World Wars great bleedings and resulting lack of manpower led most of those colonial powers to welcome the reverse migration from their South American, Asian, Middle-Eastern, African and Oceanian colonies and later former colonies, only increasing with the latter's occasional civil and economic downturns and Europe's demographic decline. Those last two factors made it so that many people also went to countries that had no empires of their own, and/or had a strong tradition of welcoming refugee waves from places as diverse as Vietnam, Somalia, Sri-Lanka, Afghanistan, Congo, Chile or Argentina...

    Even before the fall of the Berlin Wall, the DDR had a Vietnamese community of migrant workers.

    And then there is the fact that to this day a single country like France is in North America, South America, the Caribbean, Africa and Oceania, and is not the only one to have a continued multicontinental presence.

    And no, the US doesn't really have everything Europe has. Much like in other colonies, national and regional identities were fused or simply erased with time, with only some aspects of the cultures preserved while most of it got erased.

    You seem to think that a European country is a homogenous sample, but each of them already resulted from a more or less centralized government bringing multiple regions or outright countries under its umbrella. Those regions most often than not had extremely different cultures, languages, religions and even inheritance and matrimonial traditions. Most of those identities are still alive and for the past decades there has been a strong regionalism general trend all across Europe.
    Last edited by Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang; 2022-05-27 at 07:49 AM.
    "Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outwards, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendent, and to embrace them is to achieve enlightenment."

    ~ Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang on Essays on Mind and Matter

  16. #156
    Quote Originally Posted by Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang View Post
    And no, the US doesn't really have everything Europe has. Much like in other colonies, national and regional identities were fused or simply erased with time, with only some aspects of the cultures preserved while most of it got erased.
    Going to cut you off right there with two simple questions.

    Roughly how many languages/accents are spoken in Europe (hint: it's around 200)? And how many in the United States alone (hint: it's around 400), nevermind all of North America? And for the record, both are dwarfed by Asia (around 2,300) and Africa (up to 2,000).

    You--like everyone else where arguing the same sillyness--confuse diversity with concentrations of homogeny, and unlike the United States, you willfully decide that similar cultures ("omg u guys, the Germans and Austrians are so differentz, and people in East London are completely different from people in West London, no realy u guys c'mon! and done git me started on slight accent differances, hooboy, so diffrance!!!1one") in Europe are "diverse" while lumping most Americans together as a singular culture. For some reason, your dim-selves see pockets of people with the same culture cluttered together as "diverse" but then see a massive melting pool where they're all mingling together as "homogenous."

    Let me guess, you're probably one of those people who think race-class limitations in WoW create diversity, too? Because, you know, when you needed to find a druid back in Vanilla in your faction, you had TWO choices, male AND female of the same race, "Wowee-wow-wow! Druid diversity, dawg!" And when they opened the class to more races, it was like "holy shit, this is getting homogenous as fuck you guys!"

    But you know, why bother to think or even look simple questions up? Especially in this thread, that keeps going on and on and refuses to look at basic data that took all of 10 seconds to find, as pointed to in my original post in the thread. The United States dominates the world in sheer number of heavy metal bands, by a huge margin; more than 20% (more than 17,000 bands) of the world's metal is in that one country, with its closest competitor, Germany, having less than 6,000. And it takes all of Europe, including Russia (still, lol at how people love claiming that as Europe when it suits them), to surpass it. Despite--as all of you really, really love to point out--Europe being an entire continent versus just one country.

    But hey, let's also ignore all of the feigned indignation at someone mistakingly using the word "countries" in the original post by including Europe in the list (when, in context, they were clearly just talking about places outside the United States), while turning around and clumping it altogether as one "country" so that you can argue about how much more diverse it is than the United States. I regret pointing this out as I've been so tickled by it, but it's clear none of you see the hypocrisy there.
    Last edited by Infinity Cubed; 2022-05-27 at 12:44 PM.

  17. #157
    Quote Originally Posted by Infinity Cubed View Post
    Going to cut you off right there with two simple questions.

    Roughly how many languages/accents are spoken in Europe (hint: it's around 200)? And how many in the United States alone (hint: it's around 400), nevermind all of North America? And for the record, both are dwarfed by Asia (around 2,300) and Africa (up to 2,000).

    You--like everyone else where arguing the same sillyness--confuse diversity with concentrations of homogeny, and unlike the United States, you willfully decide that similar cultures ("omg u guys, the Germans and Austrians are so differentz, and people in East London are completely different from people in West London, no realy u guys c'mon! and done git me started on slight accent differances, hooboy, so diffrance!!!1one") in Europe are "diverse" while lumping most Americans together as a singular culture. For some reason, your dim-selves see pockets of people with the same culture cluttered together as "diverse" but then see a massive melting pool where they're all mingling together as "homogenous."

    Let me guess, you're probably one of those people who think race-class limitations in WoW create diversity, too? Because, you know, when you needed to find a druid back in Vanilla in your faction, you had TWO choices, male AND female of the same race, "Wowee-wow-wow! Druid diversity, dawg!" And when they opened the class to more races, it was like "holy shit, this is getting homogenous as fuck you guys!"

    But you know, why bother to think or even look simple questions up? Especially in this thread, that keeps going on and on and refuses to look at basic data that took all of 10 seconds to find, as pointed to in my original post in the thread. The United States dominates the world in sheer number of heavy metal bands, by a huge margin; more than 20% (more than 17,000 bands) of the world's metal is in that one country, with its closest competitor, Germany, having less than 6,000. And it takes all of Europe, including Russia (still, lol at how people love claiming that as Europe when it suits them), to surpass it. Despite--as all of you really, really love to point out--Europe being an entire continent versus just one country.

    But hey, let's also ignore all of the feigned indignation at someone mistakingly using the word "countries" in the original post by including Europe in the list (when, in context, they were clearly just talking about places outside the United States), while turning around and clumping it altogether as one "country" so that you can argue about how much more diverse it is than the United States. I regret pointing this out as I've been so tickled by it, but it's clear none of you see the hypocrisy there.
    Short version : ha ha ha

    Long version : I suggest you start reading what you just linked :
    - On one hand that ~200 languages/accents spoken in Europe estimate is just for the native ones
    - On the other hand the 350 to 430 languages spoken in the US encompass all the immigrant's language, while stating that over 78% of the population only speak English at home

    Out of the 430, Wikipedia mentions ~170 surviving languages indigenous to the area of the US, i-e native languages, spread over less than half a million surviving Native-American locutor, with about 50 extinct.

    As a first take it is pretty established that, overall, the native languages of Europe are doing much, much better than those of the US. Then, there is the other fact that, overall, Europe has been drawing immigrants from across the World not unlike the US.

    For a comprehensive analysis of the European situation : http://ieg-ego.eu/en/threads/crossro...c-of-languages

    Europe's Mosaic of Languages (Current State of Development)
    The language communities in Europe consist of a total of 700 million people. These languages include autochthonous languages, such as Basque, German or Hungarian, as well as immigrant languages from other parts of the world, such as Amharic, Kurdish or Vietnamese. The numbers of speakers for the individual languages vary considerably. Top of the list in terms of number of speakers is Russian with 172 million speakers in Europe (native speakers and second language). Bottom of the list is the smallest language community of Europe, the Livonian speakers, who consist of less than ten people. These are ethnic Livonians with Latvian citizenship who have learned Livonian as a second language; the last Livonian native-speaker (Viktor Bertold, who was born in 1921) died in April 2009.

    In the overview of the linguistic landscape of Europe, territorial borders must unavoidably be taken into account. For the purposes of this discussion, 44 sovereign states are included under "Europe". These include all the member states of the European Union (including the outlying island of Cyprus), as well as those states which have thus far remained outside of the EU. Three states in the Caucasus region which were non-Russian Soviet republics until 1991 and which have been sovereign states since then (Georgia, Armenia and Azerbaijan) are included among the states of Europe here. Only the European part of the Russian Federation is included here, while the linguistic cultures of Siberia are not taken into account.

    In a global comparison, Europe – with less than 150 native languages – is the continent with the least number of native languages. There are several states outside Europe which have more languages than all of Europe combined. These include, for example, Papua New Guinea (826 languages), Indonesia (701), Nigeria (427), India (418), Brazil (236), the USA (224) and China (206). The languages of Europe constitute only 2.2 per cent of the total number of languages in the world (more than 6,400). However, this percentage will rise somewhat in the future because comparatively more endangered small languages will become extinct in other regions of the world than in Europe.

    Native Languages and Immigrant Languages
    A unique characteristic of Europe's mosaic of languages is the relatively high number of languages which are spoken by more than a million people. 48 European languages are included in this category (31 per cent of the total of 143). Besides Russian, this category includes German, French, English, Italian, Spanish, Polish, Ukrainian, Greek and others. On other continents, the proportion of languages with more than one million speakers is much lower: Asia comes closest to Europe with 6.6 per cent. Around half of the languages of Europe are spoken by less than a million people (e.g. Basque, Rhaeto-Romance/Romansh, Sorbian, Sami, Mari, and Ossetic). The corresponding proportion for other macro-regions such as Asia and Africa is over 80 per cent, and in the Pacific region and America it is lower than in Europe.

    The figures given for the linguistic diversity of Europe refer to the languages native to the continent, i.e. languages whose speakers have lived in Europe for centuries. The figures look very different when the numerous immigrant languages are included in the overall view. The number of immigrant languages, i.e. the languages of the "New Europeans", exceeds 250 and is thus much larger than the number of autochthonous languages in Europe. The distribution of these languages across the regions of Europe is very uneven. With regard to the native languages, the ratio of diversity increases from west to east. The majority of autochthonous European languages are spoken in eastern and southeastern Europe. This applies in particular to the Caucasus region on the periphery of European, which has more than 50 languages, most of which are autochthonous. In the case of immigrant languages, the distribution is exactly the opposite: The majority of immigrant languages are concentrated in the countries of western Europe, while the number in southeastern Europe and Russia is considerably lower.

    The special contact conditions of immigrant languages (also referred to as "community languages" in English) have been researched since the 1980s for individual countries,though the phenomenon did not yet have Europe-wide relevance at that stage. However, the issue of immigrant languages became increasingly acute in the 1990s with the massive influx of asylum-seekers and economic immigrants, and today the phenomenon is changing the linguistic landscape throughout western Europe and in parts of eastern Europe. Novel contact situations have arisen between native languages and languages that have been transferred to Europe from elsewhere. Today, the languages of African immigrants are in contact with English, French and German on European soil, thereby continuing a tradition which previously only existed in colonial history. An increasing number of "linguistic oases" is emerging, which are continuously created and expanded in the European linguistic landscape by migrants from non-European countries. In the urban setting, in particular, contact between languages of old and new Europeans is becoming increasingly complex.

    Europe is currently experiencing the emergence of new pidgins. In their interaction as "new Europeans" with the native Europeans, immigrants from overseas (particularly from Africa) in western Europe and from Asia in eastern Europe (particularly in Russia) have caused linguistic interferences which are increasingly resulting in pidgins of French (in the conurbations of Paris and Brussels), of English (in the British industrial cities), of German (in the urban milieu of the large cities) and of Russian (particularly in Moscow and St. Petersburg). The linguistic landscape of Europe is opening into a dimension of socio-linguistic fusion, and these processes are initiating continuous change.
    Last edited by Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang; 2022-05-27 at 02:09 PM.
    "Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outwards, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendent, and to embrace them is to achieve enlightenment."

    ~ Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang on Essays on Mind and Matter

  18. #158
    Quote Originally Posted by Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang View Post
    Long version : I suggest you start reading what you just linked :
    - On one hand that ~200 languages/accents spoken in Europe estimate is just for the native ones
    - On the other hand the 350 to 430 languages spoken in the US encompass all the immigrant's language, while stating that over 78% of the population only speak English at home
    Oh i did read it. Hence why I linked it. Bolded the important part that you (amazingly) glossed over. And continue to gloss over, because you don't know the fucking meaning of the word "diverse."

    Seriously. You people keep confusing diversity with pockets of homogenony. And it's particularly hilarious (and by hilarious I mean embarrassing, for you) that YOU keep comparing an entire CONTINENT (plus Russia, cause Reason[tm]) to a single country, and then trying to act smug about it. The fact that you not only don't see it, but straight up ignore it when it's pointed out, is... no, it's not hilarious anymore. It's just straight up embarrassing.

    "Whaa whaa whaa! Europe no is cunrty! Also Europe more divarse dan USA lulz!"

  19. #159
    Quote Originally Posted by Infinity Cubed View Post
    Oh i did read it. Hence why I linked it. Bolded the important part that you (amazingly) glossed over. And continue to gloss over, because you don't know the fucking meaning of the word "diverse."

    Seriously. You people keep confusing diversity with pockets of homogenony. And it's particularly hilarious (and by hilarious I mean embarrassing, for you) that YOU keep comparing an entire CONTINENT (plus Russia, cause Reason[tm]) to a single country, and then trying to act smug about it. The fact that you not only don't see it, but straight up ignore it when it's pointed out, is... no, it's not hilarious anymore. It's just straight up embarrassing.

    "Whaa whaa whaa! Europe no is cunrty! Also Europe more divarse dan USA lulz!"
    The source you yourself linked clearly states that "78% of the population [of North America] speak English at home." I'm guessing the other 20% is Spanish and the other 2% is Native American languages.

    On the other hand, Europe has countries that use their own fuckin alphabets man. This might sound like the beginning of a joke, but "An Italian, a Spaniard and a Greek walk into a bar" is already more diverse than "A New Yorker, a Texan and an Alabaman walk into a bar". Holy shit, simply stating this makes me cringe. You're honestly comparing a continent with DOUBLE the population of North America, who has been at war with each other for THOUSANDS of years. And you think the U.S.A is more diverse than the whole European continent?

    I'm Greek, I live next door to the Italians. We disagree on how to make fucking coffee man. And we're both, southern-european, Mediterannean peoples, with a VERY closely linked Ancient History. You literally can't learn Ancient Greek history without learning about the Ancient Romans, nor can you learn about the Ancient Romans without learning about the Ancient Greeks. Yet, 2 cultures who have been intertwined for LITERAL MILLENIA, disagree HEAVILY on the techniques used to make coffee.

    You think a country that's less than 300 years old even qualifies as "diverse" when the European countries/kingdoms/territories have been around for millenia?

    Furthermore, since you're using the "Number of languages spoken" as an instrument to measure diversity, what Chairman Sheng Ji Yang said holds true. From the same source YOU linked, we see that there are 48 languages in Europe with more than 1,000,000 people speaking them. Cause honestly, it doesn't matter if Rodrigo down the street knows Spanish, if a significant number of the Greek population doesn't speak Spanish (this number being 1,000,000), then Spanish doesn't really exist in Greece. Greece did not become more "diverse" because we have my boy Rodrigo who knows Spanish and lives 4 blocks away from me.

  20. #160
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalinos View Post
    The source you yourself linked clearly states that "78% of the population [of North America] speak English at home." I'm guessing the other 20% is Spanish and the other 2% is Native American languages.

    On the other hand, Europe has countries that use their own fuckin alphabets man. This might sound like the beginning of a joke, but "An Italian, a Spaniard and a Greek walk into a bar" is already more diverse than "A New Yorker, a Texan and an Alabaman walk into a bar". Holy shit, simply stating this makes me cringe. You're honestly comparing a continent with DOUBLE the population of North America, who has been at war with each other for THOUSANDS of years. And you think the U.S.A is more diverse than the whole European continent?

    I'm Greek, I live next door to the Italians. We disagree on how to make fucking coffee man. And we're both, southern-european, Mediterannean peoples, with a VERY closely linked Ancient History. You literally can't learn Ancient Greek history without learning about the Ancient Romans, nor can you learn about the Ancient Romans without learning about the Ancient Greeks. Yet, 2 cultures who have been intertwined for LITERAL MILLENIA, disagree HEAVILY on the techniques used to make coffee.

    You think a country that's less than 300 years old even qualifies as "diverse" when the European countries/kingdoms/territories have been around for millenia?

    Furthermore, since you're using the "Number of languages spoken" as an instrument to measure diversity, what Chairman Sheng Ji Yang said holds true. From the same source YOU linked, we see that there are 48 languages in Europe with more than 1,000,000 people speaking them. Cause honestly, it doesn't matter if Rodrigo down the street knows Spanish, if a significant number of the Greek population doesn't speak Spanish (this number being 1,000,000), then Spanish doesn't really exist in Greece. Greece did not become more "diverse" because we have my boy Rodrigo who knows Spanish and lives 4 blocks away from me.
    <just rubs his temples at this point>

    Diversity != Pockets of Homogeny.

    How obtuse are you people?

    And again, pick a single "culture" in Europe. Anyone you want at all. Then show me how they're not represented, to any degree whatsoever, somewhere in the United States. Go on, show me. Non-Arabic alphabets included. Go on. Just one.

    And -- yet again -- United States = Country. Europe = Continent. "But I'mma continue to compare Europe to the United States cause, uhm, reasons! BUT DON'T YOU FUCKING DARE CALL EUROPE A COUNTRY YOU GUYS!"

    Jesus. Fucking. Christ. It's like being surroudned by osmium up in here with the sheer amount of denseness being demonstrated.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •