Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sluvs View Post
    I can literally say the same about europe.

I think you guys are vastly understimating Europe's diversity.

Again, I am not saying USA is not diverse. It is. But comparing it to an entire continent is pretty absurd (which it was what I was responding to)
    I mean, that's just not true.

Everything Europe has, the United States has (population wise). But the United States is also home to significant populations of Native Americans of multiple tribes, as well as South American, Asian, African, and Australian populations. By a large degree, percentage wise. It's literally called "the melting pot" for a reason.

Also it's always amusing to me how Europeans like to include all of Russia as "theirs" when it suits them, when 75+% of it is clearly in Asia.

That said, the point the troll made earlier is true, semantics aside. The European Union is doing now essentially what the United States did hundreds of years ago; bringing multiple regions under the umbrella of one governmental rule. And they're doing it for exactly the same reasons, complete with England doing what states like Texas and Florida have only dreamt of accomplishing.

Hoof Hearted!!!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    States in the USA are states. They were never countries.
    Texas would like a word with you.
    when all else fails, read the STICKIES.

Quote Originally Posted by Gib Lover View Post
    These songs above aren't convincing me of anything other than that they are somehow worse than the screamo crap
    Maybe metal is just not for you and that's ok. But don't these songs convince you that metal is far from "that screamo crap" ? Since that's the issue : that you judged a whole musical genre without knowing anything about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Infinity Cubed View Post
    I mean, that's just not true.

Everything Europe has, the United States has (population wise). But the United States is also home to significant populations of Native Americans of multiple tribes, as well as South American, Asian, African, and Australian populations. By a large degree, percentage wise. It's literally called "the melting pot" for a reason.

Also it's always amusing to me how Europeans like to include all of Russia as "theirs" when it suits them, when 75+% of it is clearly in Asia.

That said, the point the troll made earlier is true, semantics aside. The European Union is doing now essentially what the United States did hundreds of years ago; bringing multiple regions under the umbrella of one governmental rule. And they're doing it for exactly the same reasons, complete with England doing what states like Texas and Florida have only dreamt of accomplishing.
    That shows a fundamentally lacking knowledge of the people that live in Europe.
    I don't want solutions. I want to be mad. - PoorlyDrawnlines

That shows a fundamentally lacking knowledge of the people that live in Europe.
    Considering I lived there for 20 years (nine of which being in Wiesbaden, and another seven in St. Ives), I sincerely doubt it.

It does show, however, that Europeans such as yourself really hate being compared to the United States. I'll even go out on a limb and say you're likely from England, or at least somewhere nearby.

Quote Originally Posted by Axelthefox View Post
    Not all metal has screaming in it.

There is metal that mixes opera with metal.
    Maybe he just needs to learn to appreciate a good scream:

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    Maybe he just needs to learn to appreciate a good scream:
    Wow, this is incredible. Is there more metal like this?
    MMO-Champ users log on and just say things

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Infinity Cubed View Post
    Considering I lived there for 20 years (nine of which being in Wiesbaden, and another seven in St. Ives), I sincerely doubt it.

It does show, however, that Europeans such as yourself really hate being compared to the United States. I'll even go out on a limb and say you're likely from England, or at least somewhere nearby.
    Lol

Not even close.

Not even in the right continent.

Wow, this is incredible. Is there more metal like this?
    A Perfect Circle and Puscifer maybe? Their lead singer can also do a 25s long scream.

Yeah, that is because you think that europe is all white and because you think white people have the same culture over there.

There are so many ethnic groups in europe that is downright insane to claim that the USA has more diversity than an entire continent. Which you very much did.
    Except I don't and bolded out what StillMcFuu said - plus what he said right after you posted this reply to me. It's nothing against Europeans or insulting the diversity they have, lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PenguinChan View Post
    Except I don't and bolded out what StillMcFuu said - plus what he said right after you posted this reply to me. It's nothing against Europeans or insulting the diversity they have, lol.
    If you don't them you must recognize that a country is not more diverse than an entire continent.

And whatever I say about USA, I can say about Europe.

No offense was taken, as I don't live in europe at all. But europe has more than 70 ethnic groups, some that are actually fighting to have a country and many others that suffer constant prejudice. There are islands that have completely different cultures in them, there are centuries old beef between countries and centuries old beef within countries.

If you compare USA to almost any country (that is not in Africa) it will probably come out on top on diversity save a couple of exceptions ofc. But to compare it to a whole continent? IMHO, is quite a statement, one that I don't believe it is right. What I don't get that this is a very weird hill to die on and not really relevant to the OT.

I don't really think the reason that metal is not that popular in america is due to diversity. Going back to the OT, IMHO it has to do with how the music market is built in the USA. Currently, even with the rise of streaming platforms and whatnot, most of the industry is still made up of huge musicians that basically stomps any artist that does not follow the trends (and even some that do). Creating a sort of a vicious cycle, nobody hears metal bands, so when new metal bands come up, they are squashed down because no one listen to metal bands.

Another possible explanation is that simply metal is not on demand for the simple reason that it had its time in the limelights in the 80s and people simply want something different now.

If you don't them you must recognize that a country is not more diverse than an entire continent.

No offense was taken, as I don't live in europe at all. But europe has more than 70 ethnic groups, some that are actually fighting to have a country and many others that suffer constant prejudice. There are islands that have completely different cultures in them, there are centuries old beef between countries and centuries old beef within countries.
    It depends on how you are defining ethnic groups and the numbers you require to count as one of those 70 ethnic groups. Theres like 20k small towns founded in the US almost exclusively by 1 or two groups of people and basically stayed that way until the last 50-100 years. Each developing their own unique customs and cultures based on the original groups/mixing of groups so yes an individual country could be more diverse than a continent. Not saying it is or isn't. Just pointing out that it could be possible.

If you compare USA to almost any country (that is not in Africa) it will probably come out on top on diversity save a couple of exceptions ofc. But to compare it to a whole continent? IMHO, is quite a statement, one that I don't believe it is right. What I don't get that this is a very weird hill to die on and not really relevant to the OT.

I don't really think the reason that metal is not that popular in america is due to diversity. Going back to the OT, IMHO it has to do with how the music market is built in the USA. Currently, even with the rise of streaming platforms and whatnot, most of the industry is still made up of huge musicians that basically stomps any artist that does not follow the trends (and even some that do). Creating a sort of a vicious cycle, nobody hears metal bands, so when new metal bands come up, they are squashed down because no one listen to metal bands.

Another possible explanation is that simply metal is not on demand for the simple reason that it had its time in the limelights in the 80s and people simply want something different now.
    I'm not saying Metal ISN'T popular in America, either. In fact - I'm saying that because there is so much diversity that the % of likes and what people listen to will dilute itself over time as more people listen to different things. If you get what I meant? Also, I'm not talking small ethnic groups of inconsequential numbers. They exist, yes - and Africa would stomp everyone in that regard, but more tangible differences is what I care about. Like - huge communities of different cultures will clash, create new things or teach others of their own - spreading, and influencing each other. This doesn't happen in smaller numbers, and it definitely isn't passed on or creating any kind of meaningful diversity either.

At least, that's how I look at it. At a technical level, no, America will not beat out (Any or all) continents in ethnic diversity. But cultural diversity, which definitely plays into musical tastes and wants? Yeah, I still believe America is more varied than almost everyone else due to the 'melting pot', for the lack of a better word. America has so many cultures here, including from Europe, Asia, South America, etc. It's all here in the US - and not in small numbers, either. And the diversity will and still continues to grow because of it.

That said.

I believe this hasn't really been talked about here, but it's very relevant, despite what may be local: The internet is very hard to track and see who and what they are listening to all the time. Obviously, you can gather data from music streaming services, and infer from that - but it isn't what a person ALWAYS listens to or MAJORLY listens to. I know for a fact people will use different services or youtube and such to find and listen to things that AREN'T available on those platforms. Which then muddies the waters of the same users using different platforms, which is not at all uncommon.

However that's a topic in and of itself, IMO.

Just got done listening to a lot of Tool and Five Finger Death Punch and I gotta say, metal owns and I wish all americans listened to this |m|

10+ Year Old Account
    Just got done listening to a lot of Tool and Five Finger Death Punch and I gotta say, metal owns and I wish all americans listened to this |m|
    Make sure you don't miss out on Deftones!

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't forget to check out the classic black metal albums Load and ReLoad - considered by many to be the peak of the genre!
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

Don't forget to check out the classic black metal albums Load and ReLoad - considered by many to be the peak of the genre!
    Now THIS is my speed

States in the USA are states. They were never countries.
    Not true. The states were absolutely soverign from 1776 to 1787 and partially soverign after joining the Union.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JDL49 View Post
    Not true. The states were absolutely soverign from 1776 to 1787 and partially soverign after joining the Union.
    I heard that if they're smaller than Kentucky they don't qualify as countries.

Jokes aside, yes there were 10 sovereign states that joined the US. They joined a unified country though, not an economic conglomerate like the EU.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

Also early metal bands screamed in songs.