Poll: Would you like TCG mounts to be sold in Battlenet shop?

Thread: TCG Mounts

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ...
8
9
10
  1. #181
    Quote Originally Posted by Phob View Post
    I'm glad you aren't running the game. Blizzard already made their money from the tcg as previously stated, putting them in the bnet store is just milking the customers for more money for 0 work. I and the majority of the playerbase would rather them make new things. And yes people care about exclusive shit, that's why there are people who play classic. They care about being the only ones with their warglaives and full bis. It's already gotten scaled so far down in wow that the only thing exclusive is mounts.

    Taking away exclusivity is bad, giving players every single thing is bad. Without exclusivity, there is no wow factor to the game. And to continue the life of the game there needs to be at least something that people can wow at.

    You don't wow at gear anymore, it's all transmog and you can get full BiS in a week now (running 15s is not hard)

    You don't wow at titles anymore. (Everyone has them)

    The only wow factor this game has is "wow thats a mount I havn't seen before/for a long time"
    Ha! You think Blizzard needs my advice to milk their customers for money with low effort promotions? They've been doing that well enough for years without my help. They've also recently added a few of the TCG toys back in the game via the TBC Classic Deluxe edition so it's not like they're completely against the idea.

    You really think people play Classic for exclusivity when the player base now is far more endgame oriented than it was originally? Everything is more common in Classic. The two friends of mine who played (because they started in WotLK and Cata) were both in guilds that ran out of people to give legendary drops to. Even back in vanilla when epic raid sets were truly unique, most people simply didn't care enough to try to get them.

    No one cares about AOTC mounts from two expansions ago. No one cares about gladiator mounts from 10 years ago. No one cares about stuff you can just buy if you feel like throwing enough money at it (and since the advent of the token and the BMAH, that encompasses a lot of stuff). It's not impressive. There's no "wow factor" (other than maybe "wow... you spent your money on THAT?").

    I get that this stuff is important to you. That's cool and all if it makes you feel fulfilled, just understand that most people just play the game to have fun, not get wowed by shit some random stranger walks by with.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by minkage View Post
    exclusivity absolutely matters.

    Rare mounts/transmog/pets/titles are coveted! People spend ungodly amounts of time farming ultra rare drops for a reason.
    As someone who spent an ungodly amount of time farming old world content for mounts and transmog, it wasn't because they were coveted by other people. It was because solo farming could be entertaining, relaxing, and sometimes provided a decent amount of gold. Maybe achievement hunting as well. Eventually getting the drop tickles that itch of having RNG go your way. It was never about what other people did or didn't have since almost all those mounts just end up stashed in your collection, never to be seen again.

  2. #182
    As someone who used to raid Mythic, I never gave a shit if people got all the transmogs or the mounts years after.

    If the only reason something is cool or coveted because you can't get it anymore, or if the only reason you like something is because it's gone now, then that's just a bit sad.

  3. #183
    Elemental Lord
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    8,373
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamas102 View Post
    I don't think you understand what a straw man actually is...
    Of course I do. Maybe, instead of doubling down, you need to take an honest look at your argument and try and come up with something better.

    Quote Originally Posted by Adamas102 View Post
    Blizzard gains nothing from the secondary market for these items and the ludicrous prices these things have attained is no one's fault but the players' (the exceedingly tiny group that has been willing to drive prices so high).
    You do understand how market forces work right? The current prices of these things are a direct response to the natural market forces at work when you're talking something like this - a rare collectible item that is no longer being produced.

    Quote Originally Posted by Adamas102 View Post
    By suggesting that Blizzard should not only recognize but make an effort not to disrupt this secondary market you are most definitely arguing for them to protect things like speculative gambles (the people who have bought the mounts not to use but with the intent to sell at a higher price later).
    The only thing you got right here is that I am suggesting that they recognise the facts of the situation. I am not suggesting they make any effort to not disrupt it. I am asking them to not make an effort to change the status quo. It's a fundamentally different proposition that you're trying to sell. Hence why you're strawmanning.


    Quote Originally Posted by Adamas102 View Post
    You claim it is in the best interest of the customer for Blizzard to protect this ridiculous market
    No I do not. Again, you're misrepresenting what I have said. My claim is that it is in the best of interest of the customer for Blizzard to remain consistent in their 10 year long, hands-off approach of not trying to actively do things that would disrupt this perfectly normal market.

    Quote Originally Posted by Adamas102 View Post
    (even though your argument only favors a veeeeery small portion of the customer base)
    Small, sure, but also extremely committed to the game. In essence, Blizzard most valuable customers. Throwing them under the bus would be terrible PR for the Blizzard.

    Quote Originally Posted by Adamas102 View Post
    while I'd argue the best thing Blizzard can do is to make sure that secondary market crumbles and ceases to exist.
    Why? On what basis? Who exactly would really benefit from this?

    Let's consider the scenario: Blizzard gives everyone a free Spectral Tiger mount. Who would this benefit? This mount is desirable primarily because it of its scarcity. So sure, everyone wants one, but if you actually gave everyone one, then suddenly it would lose its desirability. By giving everyone what they want, you essentially end up giving no one what they want. The only people who end up feeling anything in the end are those who already had it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Adamas102 View Post
    While it was certainly in Blizzard's best interest not to fuck with the licensing rights they gave the card dealers that no doubt included these in game items as selling points for the physical product, that product (the TCG) was discontinued almost 10 years ago.
    No. That was a contractual obligation.

    Quote Originally Posted by Adamas102 View Post
    Of course it would piss off a relatively small handful of people, but that would be a good lesson for them not to get embroiled in a secondary market for digital goods that cannot be sold/traded once used and have no guarantee to remain exclusive. And really, what are they going to do if Blizzard adds these mounts to the shop for $25? Suddenly quit the game they already spent thousands of dollars on?
    This is such a puerile argument you're trying to make. Blizzard are in the computer games market. It is their bread and butter. It would just be incredibly stupid of them to start finger-wagging and punishing a bunch of people who are spending their money on their game out of passion and commitment.

    Quote Originally Posted by Adamas102 View Post
    If anything it would be in Blizzard's best interest to release these mounts (along with all the previously retired mounts) onto the shop.
    Let's speak specifically about the TCG mounts (other discontinued mounts involve other arguments).

    No, I do not agree with you. In fact I vehemently disagree with you.

    Let's say Blizzard put the spectral tiger on the shop for $25. It would sell in droves. This would massively piss off pretty much every player who has spent either gold or cash in the last 10+ years to acquire one for their collection. So there you're already going to have a bunch of players who have already demonstrated a high level of passion and commitment to the game.

    Now, how do you think the rest of the community would react? I can see a shitstorm of thread with buzzwords like "cash grab" and "greedy Blizzard" in the titles.

    And like I said before, once they do become common, those who have acquired them won't even end up really caring about them anyway. This literally fails on every level to improve the player experience, while actively harming it for some. Blizzard would make a nice bundle of cash, but at the expense of their already wavering public image.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Makorus View Post
    As someone who used to raid Mythic, I never gave a shit if people got all the transmogs or the mounts years after.
    Sure. But this is an invalid comparison.

    Because it is known up front - it is expected even - that those transmogs and mounts will become easier to obtain in the future. No one raids mythic when it is current on the basis that they want to obtain a mount that they know will be impossible to acquire down the line.

    A more valid comparison would be to limited time mounts. Things like the proto-drakes from the Undying/Immortal achievements. Or the seasonal gladiator mounts. Or the challenge mode mounts from MoP.

    And even then, if Blizzard did decide to release these mounts at a later date, I don't believe for a second that those who got them back in the day would be pissed about the fact that other people are getting them now. No, what these people would be pissed about is the fact that they had to do in order to get them back in the day. About the efforts they went to, the sacrifices they made, and to be told they, hey, if they'd just sat on their asses and waited, they would have got it anyway.


    Imagine you go to McDonalds and fork out $10 for a meal. Then when you are sitting down and eating, they proudly announce that everyone else buying a meal will get it for free. No rational person will be upset at the recipients of the free meals. No, you'd be upset about the fact that you had to pay.

    Quote Originally Posted by Makorus View Post
    If the only reason something is cool or coveted because you can't get it anymore, or if the only reason you like something is because it's gone now, then that's just a bit sad.
    Yeah, that's not the only reason. In fact it has pretty much nothing to do with the argument at all.

  4. #184
    High Overlord
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamas102 View Post
    No one cares about AOTC mounts from two expansions ago. No one cares about gladiator mounts from 10 years ago. No one cares about stuff you can just buy if you feel like throwing enough money at it (and since the advent of the token and the BMAH, that encompasses a lot of stuff).
    You are not everyone. You are one person. You do not think for everyone. So kindly, just stop. Go get another hobby if you do not care about the things in this game.

  5. #185
    Quote Originally Posted by Phob View Post
    You are not everyone. You are one person. You do not think for everyone. So kindly, just stop. Go get another hobby if you do not care about the things in this game.
    And you are the %2-3. (%97> %2-3) right? I had 3x Banana Charms and Blizzard gave it for free to everybody. It worths like nothing atm. It was a TCG pet. So Blizzard confirmed that %97>%2-3 . What I want is not make it worthless , provide us a way to obtain while maintaining it's rarity a bit. +%2 player database for each year can still make them popular, won't devalue much of it's price ,also we will have a way to obtain. It's how it should be.

  6. #186
    Split the child and have them drop codes from hearth stone?

  7. #187
    Quote Originally Posted by Infinity Cubed View Post
    Rare things aren't rare.

    It's a weird believe some people have. WoW is an MMO in name only. When it comes down to it, the only people who matter are you, your guildmates, and your friends. No one gives a solitary fuck about anyone else in the game, what they have, what their achievements are, what mounts they have, or what gear they have. Even the rando group of randos you join to do some rando thing don't matter as you'll unlikely ever see them again (especially since they introduced crossrealms gaming way, way, way back in time).

    It doesn't matter if only X people on the WHOLE SERVER, WOWEE WOW WOW!!!, have Y. They are totally inconsequential. They mean nothing, and their "rare" vanity item means nothing. You see it, you go "wow, whoopie for them" and that's it, that's the extent of it.

    If item A, B, or C isn't possessed by anyone you actually game with, it might as well not exist at all.

    Pretending that something in that game has value just because only a handful of people have it is, frankly, absurd.
    You see someone with something rare, go whoopee, then move on. That's how it's always been. Even in the days before, in your words WoW stopped being an MMO in anything but name. The argument that WoW isn't an MMO is just weird. And then there's the folks who say it's not an RPG anymore either.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

  8. #188
    High Overlord
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFrag View Post
    And you are the %2-3. (%97> %2-3) right? I had 3x Banana Charms and Blizzard gave it for free to everybody. It worths like nothing atm. It was a TCG pet. So Blizzard confirmed that %97>%2-3 . What I want is not make it worthless , provide us a way to obtain while maintaining it's rarity a bit. +%2 player database for each year can still make them popular, won't devalue much of it's price ,also we will have a way to obtain. It's how it should be.
    You explicitly state in your op you want it in the shop. Which does make the item not rare and worthless. Also a banana charm does not equal any of the mounts -.-
    Last edited by Phob; 2022-06-01 at 05:53 PM.

  9. #189
    Quote Originally Posted by Phob View Post
    You explicitly state in your op you want it in the shop. Which does make the item not rare and worthless. Also a banana charm does not equal any of the mounts -.-
    If Blizzard considers to make them obtainable, I'm sure they will pick a good way to obtain them. Shop is an option but they will possibly go for Landro's gift box type loot boxes instead of direct purchase. They can put an ingame option such as Bmah or a hard way to obtain. I don't know. We will see if they go for it or not in future.

  10. #190
    High Overlord
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFrag View Post
    If Blizzard considers to make them obtainable, I'm sure they will pick a good way to obtain them. Shop is an option but they will possibly go for Landro's gift box type loot boxes instead of direct purchase. They can put an ingame option such as Bmah or a hard way to obtain. I don't know. We will see if they go for it or not in future.
    Well as of right now they aren't considering anything. /thread

  11. #191
    Bloodsail Admiral
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,096
    Yes. I only want the spectral horse one which I never saw on the AH in game while everyone seemed to dupe that dumb cat.

  12. #192
    No. If anything just make it so they can all appear randomly in the BMAH instead of just the Rhino, Rocket, and Turtle.

    Quote Originally Posted by minkage View Post
    exclusivity absolutely matters.

    Rare mounts/transmog/pets/titles are coveted! People spend ungodly amounts of time farming ultra rare drops for a reason.
    Agreed.
    Last edited by muto; 2022-06-02 at 06:30 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •