Page 1 of 94
... LastLast

Texas Elementary School Shooting, as many as 22 dead, including Children

https://abcnews.go.com/US/texas-elem...ry?id=84940951

Fourteen students and a teacher are dead after a shooting at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, Texas, according to Gov. Greg Abbott.

The 18-year-old suspect, a student at Uvalde High School, is also dead, he said.

"He shot and killed horrifically and incomprehensibly 14 students and killed a teacher," Abbott said during an unrelated press briefing.

The suspect also allegedly shot his grandmother before entering the school and again opening fire, Abbott said. He did not say anything further about her condition.

Abbott said the shooter had a handgun and also possibly a rifle.
    It is very much another normal day here..this is rare enough (elementary school shootings) that maybe politicians will put in a good effort to talk about reform, but like Sandy Hook, nothing will happen.

EDIT: 14 confirmed dead children, and 1 teacher.
    Thread Warning:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rozz View Post
    You all were repeatedly asked to take Gun Control focused discussion -bans, debates about types/models, etc to the appropriate thread. Continuing to derail a thread about slaughtered children is far from appropriate. If you're unable to stay civil or handle reading comments in this thread, then return when you can post within the guidelines and what was asked of you.
    Last edited by Rozz; 2022-06-12 at 06:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    Jumping Jesus Christ on a stick when will this madness end?

This shit absolutely terrifies me as a parent of 2
    Honestly... I would move.

First me-too shooter after the Buffalo one. Sadly not likely to be the last.

Also thoughts, prayers, lone wolf, how could this happen to us, mental illness is to blame, etc.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

I doubt it will ever change. If the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting didn't move the country to action, not much will. We'll limp from shooting to shooting while the politicians spout thoughts and prayers, with no action being taken because we've turned the 2nd amendment into an alter that periodically requires blood sacrifices.
    Quote Originally Posted by lakers01 View Post
    Those damn liberal colleges! Can you believe they brainwash people into thinking murder is wrong! And don't get me started with all that critical thinking bullshit!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    I'm being trickled on from above. Wait that's not money.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anevers View Post
    I doubt it will ever change. If the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting didn't move the country to action, not much will. We'll limp from shooting to shooting while the politicians spout thoughts and prayers, with no action being taken because we've turned the 2nd amendment into an alter that periodically requires blood sacrifices.
    The simple reality is that Americans have largely said there's a certain number of violently murdered children they're perfectly willing to accept as the cost of not having an honest talk about gun violence and that maybe the 2nd Amendment is a super-fucked idea that didn't make any sense in the mid-19th century, let alone today.

10+ Year Old Account
    And nothing will change. US finds this perfectly acceptable.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

Sickening. There has apparently been 26 school shootings in the last year at what point does the US public say 'enough is enough'!?

According to most Americans, this is fine. Regular mass-shootings of children is perfectly fine and we don't need to do anything to prevent the continued regular return of mass shootings, and mass shootings at elementary schools.

This is the Rep. for the district the shooting took place in. Republicans love them some dead kids in school, apparently.

"We've done nothing to stop this, and now we're fresh out of ideas"

Sadly a certain number of children and teachers dying is now baked into the cost of retaining their Second Amendment rights. Or should that be rites? Blood of patriots, and all that.

Sickening.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

Can we get federal funding for bulletproof vests for all schoolkids or something? I mean, apparently all the obvious fixes are off the table, so let's get innovative here.

Confirmed 14 children dead, as well as the gunman, by Texas Governor Greg Abbott.

I wish I could say I'm shocked, but I'm not.

10+ Year Old Account

Around this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

There's a lot of conflicting information out there, so who knows what's true. What I've heard repeatedly makes this not sound like a "manifesto shooter," even though the town in question is 73% Hispanic.

10+ Year Old Account
    God dammit America.... this fucking sucks, so much
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    There's a lot of conflicting information out there, so who knows what's true. What I've heard repeatedly makes this not sound like a "manifesto shooter," even though the town in question is 73% Hispanic.
    "At least this mass-shooting of literal children isn't a hate crime" is a real low bar for us to have to clear -_-

this kind of shit will keep happening if online ultra-right-wing platforms are not taken offline.

freedom of speech has should have limits. Every one of these shootings has the same manifesto in a string-like pattern. All leads to the same websites anyone can access broad as day.
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Confirmed 14 children dead, as well as the gunman, by Texas Governor Greg Abbott.

I wish I could say I'm shocked, but I'm not.
    Apparently the shooter is alive and has been taken into custody.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    So we're pretty sure he's white then?
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    this kind of shit will keep happening if online ultra-right-wing platforms are not taken offline.

freedom of speech has should have limits. Every one of these shootings has the same manifesto in a string-like pattern. All leads to the same websites anyone can access broad as day.
    People are not indoctrinated by the manifesto. They find the manifesto because they're already indoctrinated.

Freedom of speech is not the problem.

- - - Updated - - -

Abbott stated that the shooter was dead, probably by police fire, and gave his name (which I won't repeat here).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
    So we're pretty sure he's white then?
    No. His name is Hispanic, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

- - - Updated - - -

The shooter allegedly shot and killed his grandmother before the rampage, so it very much looks like a copycat of Sandy Hook so far.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

The initial reports said 2 dead, off campus, and that the shooter was in custody. Later, the governor literally said to live cameras that 14 children, 1 teacher, and the gunman was dead......and immediately named the gunman, for "reasons" I'll leave you to figure out.