Page 15 of 94 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Fugus View Post
    From my understanding, the discussion is likely to be forced to change in the relatively near future.

The military is getting ready to implement a new rifle that is designed to penetrate body armor with a lot more power than the standard AR15 and the civilian versions of them are already on sale.

Once people start buying them to look like the military and the shooters have access to them better as well, this whole thing gets much uglier.
    The performance of the new round are very similar to .308, which is already available and used in the civilian market. Beside it's a round designed to accurately penetrate very high level body armor (That no military commonly use at this time, let alone police) at extreme range. The purpose of the rifle is pretty irrelevant to the civilian market.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I mean, I pointed out a whole bunch of flaws in your reasoning, but you decided to just handwave it as people "not being open to discussion" of your factually wrong and inaccurate claims.
    Drunk driving deaths... drug overdoses... factually wrong.

Mmm... ok.

Done talking in this thread. It's ok if you find flaws in other peoples reasoning but being delusional about it is far worse imo.

Doesn't matter anyways, I already feel the 'morally superior' from this entire thread of people so I'm wasting my time and effort on nothing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    Money for mental health, it's not the problem. But money for mental health should happen anyways. But what happens, and just did happen, Gov said "they need money for mental health, go seek mental health." but they won't put any money in mental health. And Beto just interrupted these asshats and walked up and correctly said "YOU'RE THE PROBLEM." to all the republicans in this press conference.
    I'm not against spending on mental health support, obviously. I'm just against the rhetoric that it would help with this issue, specifically. Mental health is something people love to bring up, as if these attackers are just sick people who haven't gotten the help they need, and that's both deflection from the real problems, and a form of denial of their personal responsibility for the horrible actions they chose to commit.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dorothyjean View Post
    Drunk driving deaths... drug overdoses... factually wrong.

Mmm... ok.

Done talking in this thread. It's ok if you find flaws in other peoples reasoning but being delusional about it is far worse imo.

Doesn't matter anyways, I already feel the 'morally superior' from this entire thread of people so I'm wasting my time and effort on nothing.
    The central issue with your entire argument is that there's already a whole lot being done about both drunk driving and drug overdosing. And those opposing further action are pretty much entirely Republicans, especially on the latter issue. Those issues aren't being ignored, whereas school shootings effectively are being ignored, at least in terms of meaningful response.

You're not being persecuted. Your ideas are being criticized. This is what open discussion is like. Sorry this isn't a hugbox that only ever blindly supports you, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    I'm not against spending on mental health support, obviously. I'm just against the rhetoric that it would help with this issue, specifically. Mental health is something people love to bring up, as if these attackers are just sick people who haven't gotten the help they need, and that's both deflection from the real problems, and a form of denial of their personal responsibility for the horrible actions they chose to commit.
    Yeah and they literally did just that a few moments ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Discarding specific dishonest arguments is not the same as not wanting to see any other sides.

I'm open to other honest sides, that have reason and evidence to back them up.

That's not what you brought with you.

If you're posting dishonestly, pointing that out is a necessary component of criticism.

You've made zero effort to "prove" anything. You spouted a bunch of nonsense and now you're throwing a tantrum because we could clearly see it as being nonsense.

Again; your claims not holding up to scrutiny does not mean nobody's claims could hold up to scrutiny. Take some personal responsibility for making bad arguments you can't properly defend.
    There was nothing to prove from the get go... I don't know exactly how I can prove that drunk driving causes more harm than mass shootings or drug overdoses... and the few times I've mentioned it I get morally superior responses like this where you think I'm trying to prove something and make assumptions about my mental state ie. tantrums. You have no clue who I am, what I've seen or done and act like I'm on the other side of a monitor flipping out... which, as I stated lastly, proves my point on what I said about both sides of this conversation.

My claims are reality... there is zero scrutiny about drug overdoses and drunk driving. They are statistical facts and throughout a year a child has a better chance of dying to drunk driving than a mass shooting. Once again... ZERO SCRUTINY NEEDED... your scrutiny means absolutely nothing with reality being the sole problem with this conversation.

But you don't care... you see reality as "my claims" because you have to win, you are the morally superior one and you are going to reply to this with more jibberish and exclaim your moral superiority by making more comments about how I'm wrong.

Just... stop. You are not open to anything. You cannot discard the reality of drunk driving being more dangerous than mass shootings... you cannot. The only thing you and others can do is discard that reality and think your arguments are morally superior. I keep telling you this like I'm trying to squeeze a triangle through a square but you're too obtuse to see what I am talking about and keep rambling on about PROVING things that do not need proving.

Anyways, I'm done... don't reply, don't waste your time, unless you want too but you're not getting a reply. I am pretty much in utter disbelief at how illogical people have become and how righteous everyone seems to be. It's honestly disgusting.

https://www.wfaa.com/video/news/spec...1-b7acf7785601

Lol, fucking TX leadership is trash and crying about Beto asking why they've done nothing on the issue of gun violence in the state. Apparently he's a "sick sonovabitch to make it a political issue" because the current leaderships continued inaction is resulting in more and more dead kids.

Man, I hate my fellow Americans sometimes. A lot of the times.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorothyjean View Post
    My claims are reality... there is zero scrutiny about drug overdoses and drunk driving. They are statistical facts and throughout a year a child has a better chance of dying to drunk driving than a mass shooting. Once again... ZERO SCRUTINY NEEDED... your scrutiny means absolutely nothing with reality being the sole problem with this conversation.
    And those issues are already being actively addressed.

Which you consistently ignore and pretend otherwise, to deflect attention away from school shootings. For reasons you've never been clear about.

But you don't care... you see reality as "my claims" because you have to win, you are the morally superior one and you are going to reply to this with more jibberish and exclaim your moral superiority by making more comments about how I'm wrong.
    I haven't once talked about any "moral superiority". You're projecting, or something.

Just... stop. You are not open to anything. You cannot discard the reality of drunk driving being more dangerous than mass shootings... you cannot. The only thing you and others can do is discard that reality and think your arguments are morally superior. I keep telling you this like I'm trying to squeeze a triangle through a square but you're too obtuse to see what I am talking about and keep rambling on about PROVING things that do not need proving.
    I'm not "discarding" anything. Drunk driving's a known issue, and there are already laws and measures in place to address it. That's what you keep actually discarding.

Anyways, I'm done... don't reply, don't waste your time, unless you want too but you're not getting a reply. I am pretty much in utter disbelief at how illogical people have become and how righteous everyone seems to be. It's honestly disgusting.
    If you don't want replies, maybe don't post?

Imagine posting to a discussion thread and getting angry when people discuss your post.

All of the time for me. Always trying to make the world a worse place to live in. Miserable stupid and cowardly people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fugus View Post
    The military is getting ready to implement a new rifle...
    Again, this is a complete non-issue.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Doesn't seem the press is letting these fuckers get away with blaming mental health.

Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    Doesn't seem the press is letting these fuckers get away with blaming mental health.
    For how much the pro-gun crowd loves to blame mental health, I don't think I've ever seen them introduce legislation to meaningfully tackle the supposed issue.

Almost like they don't actually give a shit either way and "mental health" is just an excuse for them to avoid talking about the real issues.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    FWIW, I went to school in the 80s/90s (graduated HS in '99) and there were never cops or metal detectors in schools back then. Like 9/11 changed national security, Columbine in the spring of '99 changed school security. Of course, it was a false security, it hasn't done anything to prevent or slow down school shootings.
    I'd chuck it up to complacency and ineffective implementation of the preventive measures. The measures don't do anything unless you follow them, to the letter, every.fucking.time. And have the personnel and equipment to do it right in the first place.

Can't stop someone who's really trying to get into the school, with half assed, poorly implemented security measures and a security guard that doesn't do their job...if they even HAVE a legit security guard and not just some yard narc parent volunteer.

There are of course other measures to take but if we're talking specifically security at the school, the actual security measure in place at most schools are woefully lacking. Because they don't take this stuff seriously enough to spend the money and time fixing it. As others have said, the number of incidents and their severity are a FEATURE. If this were a corporation/business and a risk analysis was done at a specific school, the occurrence rate for this kind of thing would be VERY low, with the risk being extremely high, so with very basic measures put into place to reduce that risk they'd call it manageable.

It's not nearly enough, obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    For how much the pro-gun crowd loves to blame mental health, I don't think I've ever seen them introduce legislation to meaningfully tackle the supposed issue.

Almost like they don't actually give a shit either way and "mental health" is just an excuse for them to avoid talking about the real issues.
    Someone made a good point. Something that'll help with mental health is less school shootings.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    "Mass shooting is deeply rooted in this nation's history and tradition" - Samuel Alito, probably

https://www.kristv.com/news/texas-ne...oken-community

While elected officials can only offer "thoughts and prayers", actual people are donating blood.

10+ Year Old Account
    We dont deserve Beto. If anything, Texas deserves to continuously suiffer until we finally learn to not re-elect these republican fuckers.

Im honestly thinking it would take a mass shooting at the actual capital, affecting thes epoeple directly, to fix anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    We dont deserve Beto. If anything, Texas deserves to continuously suiffer until we finally learn to not re-elect these republican fuckers.

Im honestly thinking it would take a mass shooting at the actual capital, affecting thes epoeple directly, to fix anything.
    That's how its always been.

If it doesn't affect politicians personally, they drag their feet on it.
    "It's 2013 and I still view the internet on a 560x192 resolution monitor!"

If we follow Wayne LaPierre logic of "good men with a gun" to its logical conclusion, everybody should be wearing bulletproof vests and carrying semis in public. Even children. Babies and toddlers will also need their own appropriately sized armors. Will that make everybody feel save?

Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    If we follow Wayne LaPierre logic of "good men with a gun" to its logical conclusion, everybody should be wearing bulletproof vests and carrying semis in public. Even children. Babies and toddlers will also need their own appropriately sized armors. Will that make everybody feel save?

Once again I am posting this video to show how diseased "gun culture" is in the US.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    Best I could find is age 6-8 as the youngest for kids bulletproof vests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.