Page 47 of 95 FirstFirst ...
37
45
46
47
48
49
57
... LastLast
  1. #921
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Apparently Fox New is going BIG on the "weed is making people into violent mass shooters" argument.

    Which is, for anyone that's legally consumed marijuana products, a patently fucking hilarious concept. I'm ready for them to start unironically airing Reefer Madness as a documentary.
    That would be fucking hilarious if it was not so sad and that fact so many people will buy into it. Like the only thing someone stoned is going to kill is a giant plate of food.

  2. #922
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    72,681
    Quote Originally Posted by Deus Mortis View Post
    That would be fucking hilarious if it was not so sad and that fact so many people will buy into it. Like the only thing someone stoned is going to kill is a giant plate of food.
    Again, look to the Great White North, which has fully legalized reefer to the point that I can call up the government and get them to deliver weed to my door in whatever form I want; pre-rolls, edibles, buds, whatever. Not medical, recreational.

    And our mass shootings sure haven't gone up as a result of that.


  3. #923
    The Undying cubby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    the Quiet Room
    Posts
    33,391
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Again, look to the Great White North, which has fully legalized reefer to the point that I can call up the government and get them to deliver weed to my door in whatever form I want; pre-rolls, edibles, buds, whatever. Not medical, recreational.

    And our mass shootings sure haven't gone up as a result of that.
    There is no more rational discussion to be had with the gun advocates in this thread or the world. Their "rational" conversations dive into ridiculous and irrelevant details that ignore the fundamental problem. The United States has the most mass shootings. Other countries have far more strict laws and do not suffer as we do. @PhaelixWW - please pipe up if I'm missing something here in your argument.

    To your point here Endus, the Great White North does so many things so well, it's a wonder we don't see a much larger migration.

    - - - Updated - - -

    President Biden called on Congress to take action on gun control, including a ban on assault weapons, tougher background check laws and a higher minimum age of purchase.

    And yet nothing will ever change, because the gun rights people, along with the GQP, have made it impossible to curtail or remove the Second Amendment, even though every rational person knows the U.S. would be a far better country if it were removed completely.

  4. #924
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    72,681
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    To your point here Endus, the Great White North does so many things so well, it's a wonder we don't see a much larger migration.
    Unfortunately, it ain't perfect. Ontario just had an election (like, I got back from the polls about 5 hours ago), and it's looking like the Conservatives under Doug Ford (Crack Mayor's brother, of all people) are winning another majority government, even after completely arsing up our COVID response and trying to completely fuck over teachers.

    But it's "Manchin-style Democrat" levels of fucking up, rather than fascist Republican styles.


  5. #925
    The Undying Breccia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    35,337
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    And yet nothing will ever change
    Just because I agree with the virtue being signaled doesn't make it any less virtue signalling. The Democrats are ready to run on things like protecting pro-choice and children, the GOP are ready to run on "Trump won".

  6. #926
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    72,681
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Just because I agree with the virtue being signaled doesn't make it any less virtue signalling. The Democrats are ready to run on things like protecting pro-choice and children, the GOP are ready to run on "Trump won".
    Honest talk; Biden giving an impassioned speech on the need for action when he knows there's little to no chance of any action, and he himself is a big part of why there can never be action due to the fearmongering and racist horseshit he pushed himself in getting his big crime bill passed in the '90s (the aftereffects the USA is still dealing with, and is arguably responsible for the modern state of policing), it's not something laudable.

    It's the equivalent of seeing a child downing in a lake just 15 feet offshore and shouting "Oh my how terrible that a child should drown! Whatever could be done!" while sitting your ass comfortably in your beach chair and waving at the beach waiter to bring you another fuckin' mojito.

    Empty goddamned words, with the only goal to be seen as being empathic, rather than doing anything empathic.

    Biden's the fuckin' worst thing to happen to the Democrats in a long time. Hillary Clinton wasn't this chickenshit. Not that I had that much love for her, either.


  7. #927
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Again, look to the Great White North, which has fully legalized reefer to the point that I can call up the government and get them to deliver weed to my door in whatever form I want; pre-rolls, edibles, buds, whatever. Not medical, recreational.

    And our mass shootings sure haven't gone up as a result of that.
    Yeah the small city I live in has 8-12k people has multiple dispensaries and we have literally had a single murder in the past 15ish years and it was some dude killing his young child.

  8. #928
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Again, look to the Great White North, which has fully legalized reefer to the point that I can call up the government and get them to deliver weed to my door in whatever form I want; pre-rolls, edibles, buds, whatever. Not medical, recreational.

    And our mass shootings sure haven't gone up as a result of that.
    California has companies that do delivery as well, and I don't believe there's been a marked increase in mass shootings/violence that has any remote connection to getting dank flower delivered to your door.

    But it's sure wild getting something that used to be completely illegal and is still illegal at the federal level, delivered right to your doorstep by a very nice employee who doesn't even partake in his companies product (sometimes). It's very much a, "Wow...this is the fuckin future." moment.

  9. #929
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    California has companies that do delivery as well, and I don't believe there's been a marked increase in mass shootings/violence that has any remote connection to getting dank flower delivered to your door.

    But it's sure wild getting something that used to be completely illegal and is still illegal at the federal level, delivered right to your doorstep by a very nice employee who doesn't even partake in his companies product (sometimes). It's very much a, "Wow...this is the fuckin future." moment.
    Only 12 states have weed as being fully illegal. The rest either legalized rec or medical. The fact that congress still hasn’t acted is fucking nuts. And I love when I visit my family in Vegas. I place a delivery order before I land and by the time I’m eating my In-N-Out my supplies for the visit have been delivered. It doesn’t hurt being friends with the owner of the chain you order from either.

    - - - Updated - - -

    .
    @RepMattGaetz (of Florida) is spot on.

    “Democrats want to ensure that the government has the power to take your guns away without giving you due process.”
    https://twitter.com/JudiciaryGOP/sta...97316841660416

    Twice a week from her courtroom, Florida 13th Circuit Court Judge Denise Pomponio decides who in Hillsborough County can no longer be trusted with a gun.

    In just the last two months, she has taken away the firearm privileges of dozens of people, including a dad accused of threatening to "shoot everyone" at his son's school, a woman who police say attempted suicide and then accidentally shot her boyfriend during a struggle for her revolver, a husband who allegedly fired multiple rounds in the street to "blow off steam" after losing a family member, a bullied 13-year-old witnesses overheard saying, "If all of 8th grade is missing tomorrow you will know why," and a mother arrested for brandishing a handgun at another mom after a school bus incident between their daughters.
    This is Florida's "red flag" law in action. Passed in the wake of the horrific 2018 mass shooting at a Parkland high school, the state law provides police a path to ask a judge to temporarily bar dangerous individuals from possessing or purchasing a firearm. Since its creation, Florida judges have acted more than 8,000 times to keep guns out of the hands of people authorities deemed a risk to themselves or others, according to data maintained by the Office of the State Courts Administrator.
    https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/01/polit...law/index.html

    My head hurts too much to mock Butt-Head over this one.

  10. #930
    The Insane Glorious Leader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    In my bunker leading uprisings
    Posts
    18,747
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Unfortunately, it ain't perfect. Ontario just had an election (like, I got back from the polls about 5 hours ago), and it's looking like the Conservatives under Doug Ford (Crack Mayor's brother, of all people) are winning another majority government, even after completely arsing up our COVID response and trying to completely fuck over teachers.

    But it's "Manchin-style Democrat" levels of fucking up, rather than fascist Republican styles.
    I voted NDP. Del Duca didn't even win his seat. Also I dont even have to call the government. The dispensaries all fully liscened do door to door delivery. Actually my room mate got a fucking fat stack of bud delivered to his door the other day and I was like wtf yea dispensaries out in etobicoke. He bought more than 70 so no delivery free.

    On topic I just get munchies. Like right now im snacking on animal crackers and no desire to shoot.
    Last edited by Glorious Leader; 2022-06-03 at 03:07 AM.
    The hammer comes down:
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Normal should be reduced in difficulty. Heroic should be reduced in difficulty.
    And the tiny fraction for whom heroic raids are currently well tuned? Too bad,so sad! With the arterial bleed of subs the fastest it's ever been, the vanity development that gives you guys your own content is no longer supportable.

  11. #931
    Canada is almost as retarded as the US when it comes to how you do your gun legislation. Sure your heart is in the right place, but why do you have to go about it in such convoluted way? A list of hundreds of banned weapons?

    Let me help you guys save some time:

    All guns capable of firing in full-auto are banned regardless of their caliber.

    All handguns regardless of ammo capacity require 2 years of recorded history of doing a sports shooting discipline requiring said gun, with 10 documented training sessions with certified instructor.

    All center-fire cartridge using long guns (rifles) with ammo capacity of 10+ rounds require a documented sports shooting hobby, with a minimum of 1 year and 5 documented training sessions with certified instructor.

  12. #932
    Pit Lord
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Dual US/Canada
    Posts
    2,299
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Canada is almost as retarded as the US when it comes to how you do your gun legislation. Sure your heart is in the right place, but why do you have to go about it in such convoluted way? A list of hundreds of banned weapons?

    Let me help you guys save some time:

    All guns capable of firing in full-auto are banned regardless of their caliber.

    All handguns regardless of ammo capacity require 2 years of recorded history of doing a sports shooting discipline requiring said gun, with 10 documented training sessions with certified instructor.

    All center-fire cartridge using long guns (rifles) with ammo capacity of 10+ rounds require a documented sports shooting hobby, with a minimum of 1 year and 5 documented training sessions with certified instructor.
    The answer to this is simple. The Conservatives up here are strongly opposed to any comprehensive in-depth gun laws. But the Liberals have found that they can get past that if they pass a reactionary law on the tide of public sentiment after something happens. This is... better than nothing... but reactionary laws are generally not the best written pieces of legislation, and sometimes lead to results that are nonsensical or outright wrong. In the end it's a setup that nobody is really happy with, but nobody wants to drag into the light outside of a crisis because they aren't really certain which side will get punished more in the inevitable circus.

  13. #933
    The Insane Masark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    17,806
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Canada is almost as retarded as the US when it comes to how you do your gun legislation. Sure your heart is in the right place, but why do you have to go about it in such convoluted way? A list of hundreds of banned weapons?
    The lists are just supplementary things to target specific problem guns (e.g. semiautomatics that are too easy to convert to full automatics, oddities like the American-180, weapons with a problematic following, etc. They just assign guns by name to the Restricted or Prohibited categories despite the general rules assigning them to a lower category). The basics are much simpler.

    There are 3 categories of firearm. Non-restricted, Restricted, and Prohibited.

    Non-restricted is basically anything you would use for hunting. Handguns cannot be considered non-restricted. Owning these requires a basic license known as a PAL (Possession and Acquisition License. The naming is because back at the beginning of the matter, there was a "Possession Only" license to grandfather in people who already owned guns. These don't exist anymore.), which requires passing a training course ("Canadian Firearms Safety Course").

    Restricted is mostly handguns and a number of guns added to the list by name (e.g. AR15s). Requires a more stringent license called an RPAL (Restricted Possession and Acquisition License), which requires obtaining a PAL, then taking another course ("Canadian Restricted Firearms Safety Course"). They have additional restrictions on storage and transportation. They also are not legal for hunting use

    Prohibited is stuff like short barrelled handguns and weapons assigned to this category by name. Also includes things like high capacity magazines (defined as >5 rounds for a semiautomatic long gun (only applies to centrefire ammunition. Manual action long guns and those using rimfire ammunition have no limit, hence why the above mentioned American-180 gets special treatment) or >10 rounds for handgun).
    Last edited by Masark; 2022-06-03 at 06:48 AM.

    Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

  14. #934
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    weapons with a problematic following
    The what now?

  15. #935
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Also in that article you linked, they're trying to open the shooter's phone.

    Okay...why? Unless there's a co-conspirator, I don't know what they could find that'd be useful. Even if they found some kind of predictive clue, then what? One, everyone's already dead. Two, they can't use what they find to just monitor everyone's phones all the time. I could, literally right now, send a text message to cubby and say "I'm going to murder [name of poster], here's his real name and address, I'm 30 minutes away" and nobody would know except cubby. There's no monitoring system looking for that, there's no warrant for that, and y'all know 99.99999(repeating of course)% I'd be joking as shown by my previous post record. Now, if cubby sent that text to the police, which he would, that's different.

    So I'm actually confused here. Is there any reason to suspect there's a co-conspirator? He bought the weapons of war and ammo himself, fired them himself. If not, what could law enforcement find that would be in any way useful at all, this far after the mass murder?
    I doubt it's because they suspect a co-conspirator (but they'll probably check anyway just to rule it out). I think it's more they want to get every single bit of information they can about his motives, inspirations, preparation, etc
    Isms bore me. I think they are only brought by people who seek to marginalize the potential of each ism to provide something meaningful. Name it, Capitalism, Socialism, even Communism-- all contain something of merit towards structuring a society. The biggest flaw in human history has been the need to take the worst of a system along with the best. It doesn't have to be all of one and none of another.

  16. #936
    The Insane Masark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    17,806

    Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

  17. #937
    I don't want to hear any news from North America anymore.

  18. #938
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynarii View Post
    The answer to this is simple. The Conservatives up here are strongly opposed to any comprehensive in-depth gun laws. But the Liberals have found that they can get past that if they pass a reactionary law on the tide of public sentiment after something happens. This is... better than nothing... but reactionary laws are generally not the best written pieces of legislation, and sometimes lead to results that are nonsensical or outright wrong. In the end it's a setup that nobody is really happy with, but nobody wants to drag into the light outside of a crisis because they aren't really certain which side will get punished more in the inevitable circus.
    Which is why the law should never have been reactionary, There should be think tanks that have crafted comprehensive gun legislation that has been vetted every which way and kept hidden until the right time, when you spring it to the public. And not just legislation meant for the federal level but at the state level.

  19. #939
    I'm sorry, in what world is "springing" laws on the citizens of a country/state a good idea?

  20. #940
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    I don't want to hear any news from North America anymore.
    Pretty good idea because that's not the weirdest gun fact in America.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Which is why the law should never have been reactionary, There should be think tanks that have crafted comprehensive gun legislation that has been vetted every which way and kept hidden until the right time, when you spring it to the public. And not just legislation meant for the federal level but at the state level.
    That's a nice theory but that's not how laws are based because humans see bathroom laws, abortion laws, drug laws, tough on crime . We pass laws purely on an emotional and reactionary way then refine or walk it back years if not decades later.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •