Page 30 of 94 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Holy shit, so they were handcuffing and berating parents to stop them from saving their own kids while they went in and saved their own.
    For something like that, losing their job isn't enough. That should be prison time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://thehill.com/business-a-lobby...l-human-right/

In which the "pro-gun" crowd continues to show how absolutely batshit insane they are, and continue to promote ideologies and policies that will result in more dead Americans, and especially children.

The conservative movement in the US still seems very pro-dead kids.
    "Leopard maulings should absolutely not happen, but we're not going to do anything about rounding up all the loose leopards running around"

Also, consider that more broadly in their interpretation of what constitutes a "fundamental human right:"

Healthcare? No.
    Food? No.
    Shelter? No.
    Bodily autonomy? No.

bang bang shooty sticks? Absolutely.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Exactly this, republicans have constantly been cutting school funding and denying teachers raises. They rather turn schools into federal prisons because that would mean more gun sales.

- - - Updated - - -

Holy shit, so they were handcuffing and berating parents to stop them from saving their own kids while they went in and saved their own.
    I have seen a lot of the claims on tiktok, not sure if it happened, but some of the witnesses say it did.

- - - Updated - - -

Worth noting - while this wouldn't be surprising I don't think we've seen actual confirmation on it yet. It's believable given their other actions, but given that the source for this was apparently Shaun King I'm a bit skeptical...he's not exactly the most reputable/trustworthy source : |
    I went to Shaun King's twitter, didn't see this claim. So I don't know if he deleted it, or never made it. But there is reports on his timeline, that a woman got there, went to go in, was handcuffed, then released, jumped the fence, and went in without cops, got her 2 children, and came out with them. Something the cops couldn't do for 75 fucking minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    I went to Shaun King's twitter, didn't see this claim. So I don't know if he deleted it, or never made it. But there is reports on his timeline, that a woman got there, went to go in, was handcuffed, then released, jumped the fence, and went in without cops, got her 2 children, and came out with them. Something the cops couldn't do for 75 fucking minutes.
    https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/of...hildren-texas/

It's embedded in the article.

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.reddit.com/r/CrazyFuckin...ding_officers/

More proof that "good guys with guns" don't stop bad guys with guns, and that cops are chickenshits.

Video from the LV shooting, where officers were one floor below the shooter and were paralyzed in fear. Apparently they waited in the stairwell for an HOUR, for 30 minutes after the shooter killed himself.

Sounds eerily similar to the failures of law enforcement recently, yeah?

Well, since this is about this topic and not Trump, but involves Trump, I believe it should be here.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...3388984f3dfa1b

Trump urges end to gun-free school zones, easier confinement of 'deranged' people

Former President Donald Trump on Friday argued the United States should make it easier to confine "deranged" people and eliminate gun-free school zones after a gunman killed 19 children and two teachers this week at a Texas school."

Clearly, we need to make it far easier to confine the violent and mentally deranged into mental institutions," Trump said in a speech at a convention in Houston of the National Rifle Association, a gun rights advocacy group.

Tuesday's fatal shooting of 19 pupils and two teachers in Uvalde, Texas, by an 18-year-old gunman equipped with an AR-15 style semiautomatic rifle again focused attention on the NRA, a major donor to Congress members, mostly Republicans.

On suggestions to improve the security of schools, Trump said every school should have a single point of entry, strong fencing and metal detectors, adding there should also be a police official or an armed guard at all times in every school.

"This is not a matter of money. This is a matter of will. If the United States has $40 billion to send to Ukraine, we can do this," he said, referring to Washington's financial and military support for Ukraine after Russia's invasion in February.

The former U.S. president also called for eliminating gun-free school zones, adding that such zones leave victims with no means to defend themselves in case of an attack by an armed person.

"As the age-old saying goes, the only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun," Trump added.

"The existence of evil is one of the very best reasons to arm law-abiding citizens."

Video images of the main auditorium in Houston, which holds about 3,600 people, showed it to be about half-full as Trump took the stage on Friday afternoon.
    Since he is all for lockup up "deranged" people, can we start with him? Everybody knows he is out of his mind.

Quote Originally Posted by gondrin View Post
    Well, since this is about this topic and not Trump, but involves Trump, I believe it should be here.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...3388984f3dfa1b

Since he is all for lockup up "deranged" people, can we start with him? Everybody knows he is out of his mind.
    Ah yes, more solutions that would have stopped this shooting...that actually wouldn't have. Republicans just love them some dead kinds to fundraise off of.

10+ Year Old Account
    https://thehill.com/business-a-lobby...l-human-right/

In which the "pro-gun" crowd continues to show how absolutely batshit insane they are, and continue to promote ideologies and policies that will result in more dead Americans, and especially children.

The conservative movement in the US still seems very pro-dead kids.
    How long do you think it'll be before other countries start to officially label the NRA as a terrorist organization?

Quote Originally Posted by masterhorus8 View Post
    How long do you think it'll be before other countries start to officially label the NRA as a terrorist organization?
    Unlikely. Apparently they've extended to Russia, Brazil, and Australia, and I doubt the former two will ever do anything and the latter has enough gun laws that the NRA is probably basically nonexistent there.

No reason to worry about a threat that doesn't exist in your country because there's no market for firearms extremism.

- - - Updated - - -

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1530307326288093185

What the fuck is even happening? Trump is, I guess, reading the names of the victims of the latest shooting and someone hits a bell after he reads each name?

Is this...a thing? What the fuck is this even? I'm so fucking confused.

10+ Year Old Account
    Unlikely. Apparently they've extended to Russia, Brazil, and Australia, and I doubt the former two will ever do anything and the latter has enough gun laws that the NRA is probably basically nonexistent there.

No reason to worry about a threat that doesn't exist in your country because there's no market for firearms extremism.

What the fuck is even happening? Trump is, I guess, reading the names of the victims of the latest shooting and someone hits a bell after he reads each name?

He's trying to appear "sensitive" to the tragedy and keep his name relevant on a national scale.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    And now one of the survivors is having to rely on a gofundme to pay for their medical expenses.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/donate-to-help-miah

Texas: The state that gets a 1 star review.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account
    It was the wrong decision.

The police officers held off as they listened to sporadic gunfire from behind the door, ordered by the commander at the scene not to rush the pair of connected classrooms where the gunman had locked himself inside and begun shooting shortly after 11:30 a.m.

“It was the wrong decision, period,” the director of the state police, Steven C. McCraw, said on Friday after reading from the transcripts of children’s calls to 911 and from a timeline of the police inaction during nearly 90 minutes of horror at the elementary school in Uvalde, Texas.

After days of shifting explanations and conflicting accounts, the disclosures answered many of the basic questions about how the massacre had taken place. But they raised the even more painful possibility that had the police done more, and faster, not all of those who died — 19 children and two teachers — would have lost their lives.

The frank and sudden revelation by Mr. McCraw that a police commander decided not to go inside the classroom even as the gunman continued shooting brought forth an eruption of shouts and emotional questioning. At times, Mr. McCraw struggled to be heard. At others, he appeared overcome, his voice breaking.

Gov. Greg Abbott of Texas, who earlier in the week had said the police “showed amazing courage by running toward gunfire,” said on Friday at a news conference in Uvalde that he had been “misled” about the events and the police response, adding that he was “absolutely livid.”

Mr. Abbott, who hours earlier abandoned plans to appear at a National Rifle Association convention in Houston, told reporters that state lawmakers would review the tragedy and determine what went wrong. “Do we expect laws to come out of this devastating crime? The answer is yes,” he said.
    I'm shocked at Gov. Abbott's behavior. It's almost human.

Of course, I can't imagine what kind of laws he's talking about. I think we can all safely assume it's not laws to keep weapons of war out of the hands of the average American civilian. I'm actually curious what kind of law needs to be passed to make "police officers intentionally posted to protect children actually have to do it" when that's as common sense as "don't give weapons of war to the average American civilian".

The 18-year-old gunman, who crashed his grandmother’s pickup truck at 11:28 a.m. in a ditch by the school, began by firing outside — more than 20 times, first at bystanders and then at classroom windows. A Uvalde school district police officer arrived at the scene but did not see the gunman and drove past him.
    I can understand not seeing someone in general, but I can't understand not seeing someone firing a rifle blindly into classroom windows, when you're looking because you heard gunfire from a weapon of war.

Once he entered the fourth-grade building, Ms. Carrillo said, the shooter banged and kicked on the door of her 10-year-old son Mario’s classroom, demanding to be let in. But he could not open the locked door.

Instead, he moved to others.

In the connected classrooms, Room 111 and Room 112, a pair of teachers, Eva Mireles and Irma Garcia, had also been showing a movie, “Lilo & Stitch” as the students finished up their lessons. One of the teachers moved to close the door and seal the classroom from the hallway. But the gunman was already there.
    Now this goes back to what I posted earlier. Clearly the school had doors capable of repelling the gunman, who either could not break them open with his military-grade weapon, or just decided not to. Either way, the shooting drills and plans either weren't good enough or weren't followed properly, Either way, murdered children.

A few minutes later, at around 12:50 p.m., the specially trained officers from the Border Patrol opened the locked door with keys from a school janitor and burst into the room, firing 27 times inside the classroom, and killing the gunman.
    So I think we've all been through the discussion where we ask if some random-ass security guard at a Target is up to the task, or should be demanded to be up to the task, of dealing with the average American civilian with a weapon of war. I suspect the majority say "no, a taser and pepper spray ain't gonna do shit against 142 rounds". Give him a pistol and a vest, maybe, but security guards are, well, basically mercenaries, at least in the sense they aren't sworn public servants. Police? Are. And leaving aside any possibility they simply chose not to do their job (also known as "fired, sued, and maybe arrested") if the police on scene aren't capable of handling the average American civilian armed with a weapon of war, well, there are two directions that discussion can go.

Which brings us back to Gov. Abbott.

Since nobody here expect Abbott to impose gun control in any way at all, and quite frankly I don't even expect a posse-esque "anyone can privately sue someone they think has an illegal gun or illegal motive for their legal gun" they way they think it's okay with abortions, either.

I think Abbott and the Texas GOP are going to pass knee-jerk legilslation to turn their police into walking tanks. Because it's the only choice they have that (a) can pass along their party lines (b) makes it look like they're doing anything at all when they're not (c) gets more guns and more powerful guns into Texas and most importantly (d) is the only option they have left, because what they've done for the last 25 years has too much inertia to push back.

I hate to victim blame. But, when an already bad situation ("our on-site police could not stop a single averge American civilian with a weapon we've said for a generation he should be allowed to have, and the security measures we designed were clearly insufficient in either design or execution") is tempered by a party increasingly running on violent hate (see also: Jan 6th) by adding even more weapons and more bullets, well, I'm just going to say it now and be done with it.

The increasingly high body counts in the next 25 years of Texas school shootings? Y'all brought that on yourselves. You were warned. This is how you're handling it. You deserve what happens next.

P.S. I haven't even mentioned once how it took the fucking Border Patrol to show up to stop this. This was 100% not their job. Oh, I'm glad someone stopped this before "catastrophic" somehow got worse, but I would be equally dismayed if a mass shooting in downtown Mobile, AL was stopped by Air Force members from Florida an hour later because the Mobile police couldn't stop one civilian with one civilian weapon.

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.ksat.com/news/texas/2022...alde-shooting/

Even Abbott is throwing local cops under the bus.

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    Oh, look, another one.
    @PhaelixWW Abbott the anti-cop / cop hating republican!!

Why do they hate the cops so much?
    Last edited by Zan15; 2022-05-28 at 06:36 PM.
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

We just straight up don't have the gun culture that America does. Guns are for sporting and farm use, not for self defense or property defense.

I thought it was a decent show of respect until the fucking bell started. Wow you played an MP3 of a bell chiming on your phone, great job ruining it dickhead.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/police-ch...054913036.html
    Police chief who delayed tactical response to shooting that killed 21 people will join Uvalde City Council
    Peter Arredondo, the school district police chief whose orders reportedly delayed response to the shooting at Robb Elementary School which killed 21, will join the Uvalde City Council, NBC reported.

Arredondo was elected to the Uvalde City Council three weeks ago, earning nearly 70% of the vote, according to the Uvalde Leader-News.

Though the Uvalde Police Department has since changed its story about what happened during the shooting at least 12 times, a Friday statement by Director of Texas Department of Public Safety Steven McCraw indicated Arredondo's orders delayed police response during the incident.

McCraw said Friday that Arredondo, who oversees the six-officer police force in eight schools as the Chief of Police for the Uvalde Consolidated Independent School District, believed the gunman had "barricaded" himself in a classroom and "there were no more children at risk," and ordered officers not to engage the suspect.

Meanwhile, the gunman continued firing on a 4th grade classroom, ultimately killing two teachers and 19 students and wounding 17 others.

"Of course it was not the right decision," McCraw added. "It was the wrong decision. There is no excuse for that."

The Uvalde Consolidated Independent School District did not immediately return Insider's request for comment.
    I am going to take a guess that he will not last long at that position.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deus Mortis View Post
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/police-ch...054913036.html
    Police chief who delayed tactical response to shooting that killed 21 people will join Uvalde City Council

I am going to take a guess that he will not last long at that position.
    If there's any justice in this world, the people in that town will tar and feather him.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    The paywall cuts off the most damning part. I'll link to Twitter where someone grabbed the documents;

https://twitter.com/ByMikeBaker/stat...57140191186944

Uvalde PD had a mass-shooter training just a couple months ago. That training laid out their policies and approach, and required officers to go in immediately to confront the attacker as their first priority, over saving/protecting lives, even requiring officers to bypass wounded to stop the attacker first. It required that if one officer of a pair got shot, the second would have to continue on and leave their partner, entering alone to confront and stop the shooter. That any member of the PD had to recognize they were expected to put themselves in harm's way and do courageous things to save the innocent, and if they couldn't accept that, they should fuckin' quit, right now.

Every single officer involved in this mess needs to be fired, summarily, for gross violations of department policy and ethical requirements. That's to start. If their union bitches, point to the training and ask why the union is anti-police.

Then, charge these fuckers. At a minimum, negligence leading to death, but I'd venture you could bump it up to accessory to murder. Charge both and see what sticks.

Also charge them for the assaults committed against parents. They're clearly outside of policy and behaving unethically, and the parents were in the right.

Also, charge every officer who held back. Not just the first couple, or the highest-ranked. Every goddamned one. After you fire them, which should happen yesterday.

This shit was godawful when it just appeared that it was an extension of the usual "we don't protect and serve shit" attitudes of cops, but the revelation that their conduct was an outright refusal to abide by PD policy on mass shooting responses, because every single officer was too much of a chickenshit coward to do their fucking jobs, that shit needs consequences.

10+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

He did his fucking stupid "jerking off two lads at the same time" dance at the end of his appearance after reading the names of the victims as well... Can't even make this stuff up in this clown show anymore.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    We just straight up don't have the gun culture that America does. Guns are for sporting and farm use, not for self defense or property defense.

I thought it was a decent show of respect until the fucking bell started. Wow you played an MP3 of a bell chiming on your phone, great job ruining it dickhead.
    You must have missed the part where Trump danced at the end of it.
    "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta ass."

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

Ah yes, more solutions that would have stopped this shooting...that actually wouldn't have. Republicans just love them some dead kinds to fundraise off of.
    Haven’t seen a whole lot of ideas circulating that are worth a damn to be fair. And as far as fundraising off dead kids… well look no further than your friendly neighborhood Beta O’Rourke. LMAO at that one XD.

10+ Year Old Account
    One day US will realize that amendment from 1791 that had use and reason in 18th century does not work in 21st century and needs to be repealed. And also that the good of the public is more important than support of various pressure groups in the Congress.

Until then US will keep waking up to these kinds of news.

Texas Gov. Abbott says the Uvalde school shooter had a "mental health challenge" and the state needed to "do a better job with mental health" — yet in April he slashed $211M from the department that oversees mental health programs.

Hard to stress better mental health when you cut the budget plus all and everything else that helps people out with issues. Yes, this is deflecting but I'm just calling out the bs excuse.

Cruz: Ultimately, as we all know, what stops armed bad guys is armed good guys

An hour and half later plus all the other fuck ups the police happened to do.

The Republican mental gymnastics sure painted themselves in a corner.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!