Page 1 of 16
... LastLast

Proof that old Talents promoted more originality from players

Video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BbgROZ9STY

Video features crazy player created specs from Wrath era:

-Honor Among Thieves Rogue
    -AoE Fan of Knives interrupt and silence Rogue (pvp)
    -Spell Power Enhancement Shaman
    -Prot Holy Paladin (converting stamina into spell power...later changed to strength into spell power)
    -Preg Pala (Prot Holy Ret Paladin)
    -Necromancer caster ranged Deathknight (pvp)
    -Dancing rune blood DK DPS (pre nerf)
    -Arms Prot Tank Warrior
    -Frostfire Mage

And there were many more player created inventions in specs some of which had to be nerfed.
    Last edited by Chadow; 2022-05-26 at 02:57 PM.

"With more talents, there's more possible combinations of talents!"

Mind. Blown.

Did not see that one coming.

and most of those sucked

for every 1 brokenly good mishmash spec, there are 15 bad ones

I had a ridiculous Subtlety build for pvp that used a ton of evasion and upfront damage.

Yea, it's really no different to how it is now, there's the standard cookie cutter build and niche talents that you occasionally use. As a Blood DK I'm switching talents fairly often in Sepulcher.

More originality and more dead weight.
    "It's 2013 and I still view the internet on a 560x192 resolution monitor!"

Spending 20 Points in all three speccs may be original, but it didnt make any sense nor was it any good. So...just because there is an option for diversity doesnt mean its good diversity. Just that you have it. (Duh)

Specing into things that are literally bugged or into the same broken overtuned spec everyone is running in pvp is not "originality". Specing into a deliberately worse spec that can do better in some niche situation or use some niche, worse performing spell is something you can do right now on live with the current talents.

I like WillE just as much as the next guy but this is a weird way to promote his channel, my guy.

It will be fun to see people run these "original" specs in Wrath Classic
    For the record, you can build a mastery frost mage with massive ass glacial spikes or a DPS prot paladin, doesn't mean it won't suck.

What was "viable" to clear wrath content doesn't hold up to todays standards not even counting the raiding community perceptions have shifted.

Half of these were good not because of the talents because of difference in how each spec's abilities scaled with SP and AP and then with heavy stacking of the proper stat.

Bad game design is what allowed these builds. Also, the Dragonflight talents are not the same as the original system. They work differently.

And classic elitist jerks got destroyed in numbers by warrior world buff stacking guilds of 14 year olds.

Quote Originally Posted by Kehego View Post
    for every 1 brokenly good mishmash spec, there are 15 bad ones
    So? Why do you care how someone else plays? Those "15 bad ones" better suited those specific player's playstyle, and they were having more fun with it. Who are you to tell people how they should play a game?

While it's been far too long since I've used them, I remember hearing people complain about some of my talent builds--especially with my paladin tank during TBC, and later my death knight tank in Wrath--only to have them completely turn around and compliment me on how effective I was with the "bad" choices I made.

Personally, I find people who only know how to "play" (and I use that term quite incorrectly) the game because they copy what other people have done to be the really shitty players. And when they go around complaining when anyone else isn't "playing" the same way as them/what they read online, it makes it even more embarrassing. For them.

The strength of the OG talent system wasn't so much in these off the wall builds, but being able to grab talents and skills to help you when you had a deficiency. Even in vanilla we knew the best build for outright damage, people act like that's a modern invention, it's not. What made the OG talents better is the flexibility you had before BiS, to plug issues in your build. Swapping hit talents for critical, or dodge rating for damage, etc... and even then it was still fun to experiment or make odd builds. This is how we got rogue and shaman tanking, shaman spell power builds, hunter spell power builds, etc...

I think the biggest weakness of the current talents and it really stems from game philosophy, is that there is this odd need for each talent choice to be cookie cutter, ST, AOE, Cleave or if it's a survivability row, mobility, mitigation, passive damage resist. And it's boring. People look up what is solved because it isn't fun experimenting.

Yeah, 6 frost strike DK with rotation neing cast sequence on mousewheel for when you couldn’t be bothered to do more was fun.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Infinity Cubed View Post
    So? Why do you care how someone else plays? Those "15 bad ones" better suited those specific player's playstyle, and they were having more fun with it. Who are you to tell people how they should play a game?

While it's been far too long since I've used them, I remember hearing people complain about some of my talent builds--especially with my paladin tank during TBC, and later my death knight tank in Wrath--only to have them completely turn around and compliment me on how effective I was with the "bad" choices I made.

Personally, I find people who only know how to "play" (and I use that term quite incorrectly) the game because they copy what other people have done to be the really shitty players. And when they go around complaining when anyone else isn't "playing" the same way as them/what they read online, it makes it even more embarrassing. For them.
    we dont play the same game
    I 3d print stuff