10+ Year Old Account

Gathering professions as one?

Hello all!

What would people think of merging gathering professions into a new minor profession, thus making room for a 2nd crafting profession, since gathering professions do not offer any bonus abilities/stats anymore?

Mining.
    Engineering.
    Cooking.
    Fishing.
    Archaeology.

So it would be something like;

Engineering.
    Alchemist.
    Gathering (WIP).
    Cooking.
    Fishing.
    Archaeology.

Or, merging gathering professions into one primary profession.

Gathering (WIP)
    Engineering.
    Cooking.
    Fishing.
    Archaeology.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    Gathering shouldn't even be counted as a profession, it should be part of every character. Even if we're only allowed one actual profession.

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Hello all!

What would people think of merging gathering professions into a new minor profession, thus making room for a 2nd crafting profession, since gathering professions do not offer any bonus abilities/stats anymore?

Mining.
    Engineering.
    Cooking.
    Fishing.
    Archaeology.

So it would be something like;

Engineering.
    Alchemist.
    Gathering (WIP).
    Cooking.
    Fishing.
    Archaeology.

Or, merging gathering professions into one primary profession.

Gathering (WIP)
    Engineering.
    Cooking.
    Fishing.
    Archaeology.
    Personally i would make them baseline, yeah. Maybe involve some bonusses relevant to the crafting skill; gemcutters prospect ore, blacksmithers smelt it. Scribes dry & mill the herbs, alchemists extract & concentrate, to name a few.

Disenchantment could be interesting, by making it baseline it could add an interesting twist to other professions, making it clearer we're crafting magical stuff. In return enchanters might provide i.e. enchanted metal bars, and become better at disrnchanting. It would also open up for more sense in enchantment; cloak enchants might need cloth ingredients, weapons mineral powder en jewelry might require gems, to name a few.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

I could see them doing something like this.

Every character can pick flowers or whack a rock with a pick. Make it though for those that want to specialize could get more resources. Any character could interact with a copper vein, maybe get nuggets or whatever, not even a whole ore, where as someone with the Mining profession would get whole ore and possible multiple ore if their skill was high enough.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by m4xc4v413r4 View Post
    Gathering shouldn't even be counted as a profession, it should be part of every character. Even if we're only allowed one actual profession.
    Quote Originally Posted by loras View Post
    Personally i would make them baseline, yeah. Maybe involve some bonusses relevant to the crafting skill; gemcutters prospect ore, blacksmithers smelt it. Scribes dry & mill the herbs, alchemists extract & concentrate, to name a few.

Disenchantment could be interesting, by making it baseline it could add an interesting twist to other professions, making it clearer we're crafting magical stuff. In return enchanters might provide i.e. enchanted metal bars, and become better at disrnchanting. It would also open up for more sense in enchantment; cloak enchants might need cloth ingredients, weapons mineral powder en jewelry might require gems, to name a few.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neverafter View Post
    I could see them doing something like this.

Every character can pick flowers or whack a rock with a pick. Make it though for those that want to specialize could get more resources. Any character could interact with a copper vein, maybe get nuggets or whatever, not even a whole ore, where as someone with the Mining profession would get whole ore and possible multiple ore if their skill was high enough.
    I just kept them at the idea of being a minor one like fishing, keep a little RPG element of you believing you need the training to learn about the plants and ores. Something baseline everything should have access to, then other professions have access to the professing part (Smelting for Engineers, Blacksmiths, and Jewelcrafters).
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

The terminology is already there. Secondary professions. They should just make all gathering professions secondary. Anyone who has one, congrats you get to pick a second primary. And we all get to learn all three of them.

Or make it so you can only learn 1 crafting profession and it grants you the secondary skill to gather mats. Like Alchemy and Inscription also grant you herbalism etc.
    The outliers like Tailoring can grant you more cloth (can even remove it as a drop for non-tailors) from loots and also the ability to find cloth stacks around the world. And Enchanting can allow you to collect discarded armors/weapons to disenchant them only.

I could see moving Herbalism and Mining become available to everyone like Cooking or Fishing but I don't see the reason to condense anything.

Merge all professions into a single special class that's bad at combat; if you want special raid drops only they can use, you'll need to take them in and essentially underman the content.
    It became clear that it wasn’t realistic to try to get the audience back to being more hardcore, as it had been in the past. -- Tom Chilton

Quote Originally Posted by Blayze View Post
    Merge all professions into a single special class that's bad at combat; if you want special raid drops only they can use, you'll need to take them in and essentially underman the content.
    This sounds like my kind of class! Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Clarinet View Post
    foxxy is basically no longer a fox - more like a badger this game

Gathering should be rolled into the Crafting professions...

Alchemy / Herbalism
    Blacksmiting / Mining
    Enchanting / Nope
    Engineering / Mining
    Inscription / Herbalism
    Jewelcrafting / Mining
    Leatherworking / Skinning
    Tailoring / Sucker

With Gathering rolled into Crafting professions, my Rogue could then go Alchemy & Leatherworking...

I'd honestly prefer they just add more content for the gathering professions, and work secondaries into them like they did from First Aid to Tailoring.

Fishing+Skinning

Mining+Archaeology

Herbalism+Cooking

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by B01L View Post

Alchemy / Herbalism
    Blacksmiting / Mining
    Enchanting / Nope
    Engineering / Mining
    Inscription / Herbalism
    Jewelcrafting / Mining
    Tailoring / Sucker

With Gathering rolled into Crafting professions, my Rogue could then go Alchemy & Leatherworking...
    I kinda like producers being at the mercy of gatherers, honestly. You can be a self sufficient alchemist, or an alchemist and leatherworker who relies on alts or trade for the materials.

It's one of the few remaining anti-QOL features that actually gives the character the feeling of being good at something, and not everything. I'd take away spec-swapping if it were up to me.
    Last edited by Amnaught; 2022-05-27 at 10:16 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by B01L View Post

Alchemy / Herbalism
    Blacksmiting / Mining
    Enchanting / Nope
    Engineering / Mining
    Inscription / Herbalism
    Jewelcrafting / Mining
    Tailoring / Sucker

I'd rather have gathering being accessible on the side as a trade than merged with crafting, dunno why, just hope more could be made of it.

I just kept them at the idea of being a minor one like fishing, keep a little RPG element of you believing you need the training to learn about the plants and ores. Something baseline everything should have access to, then other professions have access to the professing part (Smelting for Engineers, Blacksmiths, and Jewelcrafters).
    To clarify: When i said baseline i meant as a secondary profession. I too like the idea of needing some training in it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by loras View Post
    To clarify: When i said baseline i meant as a secondary profession. I too like the idea of needing some training in it.
    Alrighty, then we're on the same page. I liked the idea that was added with giving the production side of gathering professions to crafters.

Alrighty, then we're on the same page. I liked the idea that was added with giving the production side of gathering professions to crafters.
    Yeah, same.