Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
2
3
4
5
6
LastLast
  1. #61
    Quote Originally Posted by edw View Post
    I thin most people don't care about the lore, just make an enjoyable game to play ...
    Well, they failed on both accounts spectacularly in SLs. So there is more then enough dissatisfaction to go around.

  2. #62
    What the gentleman on page 1 wrote: I am playing this game for 17 years now and approaching 36k achievements. I have no idea who most of the main plot characters are, I might recognize Thrall and some others but I don't really care why this city had this siege and what did that guy and what not. I got a bit confused in bfa because of that but other than that, I enjoy the game for its core gameplay and little stories and jokes. If they pull some pink elves out of their asses and call them Children of Arthas I wouldn't care, really.

  3. #63
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    You really cannot go straight from Zovaal to some evil dragon or a local threat on Azeroth.
    Well since Shadowlands was, as the devs said, the END of that section of storyline, technically Dragonflight is the 'reboot' xpack. So that means, ya you kind of can do that. I repeat, the chapter of WoW that started 20 years ago, according to the dev, came to its end in SL. Dragonflight starts a new chapter of the story. Now how they develop that story is another thing.

  4. #64
    Quote Originally Posted by Apatrida View Post
    What the gentleman on page 1 wrote: I am playing this game for 17 years now and approaching 36k achievements. I have no idea who most of the main plot characters are, I might recognize Thrall and some others but I don't really care why this city had this siege and what did that guy and what not. I got a bit confused in bfa because of that but other than that, I enjoy the game for its core gameplay and little stories and jokes. If they pull some pink elves out of their asses and call them Children of Arthas I wouldn't care, really.
    I literally have no idea how you can play a game for 17 years and care so little about the story... let me make a wild guess, you are mainly pvping?

  5. #65
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisei View Post
    I literally have no idea how you can play a game for 17 years and care so little about the story... let me make a wild guess, you are mainly pvping?
    I'm on the same ballpark. We are collection things, not there to sit down and listen.

  6. #66
    Quote Originally Posted by Apatrida View Post
    What the gentleman on page 1 wrote: I am playing this game for 17 years now and approaching 36k achievements. I have no idea who most of the main plot characters are, I might recognize Thrall and some others but I don't really care why this city had this siege and what did that guy and what not. I got a bit confused in bfa because of that but other than that, I enjoy the game for its core gameplay and little stories and jokes. If they pull some pink elves out of their asses and call them Children of Arthas I wouldn't care, really.
    I'm in the same boat.

    The next expansion could be My Little Smurf Ponies in Bikini Bottom for all I care. As long as I get to kill monsters and get loot.

  7. #67
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisei View Post
    I literally have no idea how you can play a game for 17 years and care so little about the story...
    Gameplay is good? Story is irrelevant to me.

    I've recently started playing Diablo 3 again. I know the character is supposed to be this super duper special kind of person that can become super duper powerful and kill all the evil dudes they encounter. But why are they that powerful? No clue, didn't pay attention. Which devil is the devil of this or that and why? No clue, I either kill them or get killed, then come back stronger and kill them.

    Story is irrelevant to some people. Some just do not care, if the gameplay is good.

  8. #68
    Quote Originally Posted by Echocho View Post
    This is just pure bullshit. Many franchises have stories that vary greatly in scope and severity. There's no rule that says you have to keep going bigger, that's just what WoW has conditioned you to think. Try playing a different game once in a while.
    This isn't a WOW issue, it's a person looking for a reason to complain issue. WOW has constantly slowed the adventure down at the start of expansions. we went from fighting the Burning Legion to dealing with Kul Tiras politics and helping fight quillboars.

  9. #69
    Quote Originally Posted by Magical Mudcrab View Post
    Ignore them. They're saying that Blizzard developers are incompetent because Blizzard is, in their view, hiring people solely on diversity and ignoring individual competency.
    I think they were onto something. Blizzard for years until the controvery recruited and promoted based on statistic of getting as many white gamerdudebro drunkards into the company as possible and what did we get? Infamous creep Afrasiabi getting into the position of seemingly fucking over one of the most iconic WC3 characters and former fan favorite of the franchise because some other dev made his gary sue self-insert son of hellscream oc a raid boss.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    And anyone who questions that will get called a racist. To quote someone in another thread "try arguing against it without sounding like a racist pile of shit."
    I mean, its kinda racist to assume blacks and women and queer people ran the game to shit when we had one massive controversy that basically boiled down to white gamerbros getting preferencial treatment and using it to drink, do drugs, play video games and harass female staff during working hours.

  10. #70
    I am Murloc! A Chozo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Eorzea
    Posts
    5,972
    Quote Originally Posted by Rendark View Post
    TBC was fine dude. There has been so much worse.
    Hell nah it was a shitfest lorewise, everyone complained loudly on forums. Same shit with Cata, WoD and BfA. To a lesser degree WotLK and Legion, and the only xpac with actual passable lore was Pandaria. Even Classic and WC3 have godawful story.

    But forums like to rewrite the past to make current shit look bad. In some years everyone will be looking fondly at Denathrius, some questlines, and completely ignoring the shitshow that is the main story.

  11. #71
    I really do not understand how you can play through this current expansion and not come to the conclusion that universe level threats are what made this game's story turn to absolute shit.

  12. #72
    Quote Originally Posted by uuuhname View Post
    I really do not understand how you can play through this current expansion and not come to the conclusion that universe level threats are what made this game's story turn to absolute shit.
    I'm simple, I guess: bad writing is bad writing.

    Doesn't matter if it's about the band of gnolls terrorizing a poor village, or Lord Megabad threatening to unravel all of creation - if the writing's bad, it's bad.

    Certainly some topics are easier to write well, and others are easier to write poorly. But it's not the subject matter that's the problem, it's how it's written.

  13. #73
    Quote Originally Posted by Diaphin View Post
    I think they were onto something. Blizzard for years until the controvery recruited and promoted based on statistic of getting as many white gamerdudebro drunkards into the company as possible and what did we get? Infamous creep Afrasiabi getting into the position of seemingly fucking over one of the most iconic WC3 characters and former fan favorite of the franchise because some other dev made his gary sue self-insert son of hellscream oc a raid boss.

    - - - Updated - - -



    I mean, its kinda racist to assume blacks and women and queer people ran the game to shit when we had one massive controversy that basically boiled down to white gamerbros getting preferencial treatment and using it to drink, do drugs, play video games and harass female staff during working hours.

    I think you said it rather well right here. Everything else that people are saying is just vomit and Bullshit to make themselves look smarter. What you just said nailed it on the head. Blizzard games are no longer fun...subjective or not.
    Be careful who you chat it up with here on these forums. If you are NOT for WoW and about WoW, people will report whatever you say and get you banned

  14. #74
    Anything is better than tranny propaganda which is what currently shadowlands is. And with new race/class is coming things aren't going to chance. At least some of us still have mythic plus. I hope that doesn't get castrated fully, unless they get their hands on it too.

  15. #75
    Quote Originally Posted by A Chozo View Post
    Hell nah it was a shitfest lorewise, everyone complained loudly on forums. Same shit with Cata, WoD and BfA. To a lesser degree WotLK and Legion, and the only xpac with actual passable lore was Pandaria. Even Classic and WC3 have godawful story.

    But forums like to rewrite the past to make current shit look bad. In some years everyone will be looking fondly at Denathrius, some questlines, and completely ignoring the shitshow that is the main story.
    Shadowlands is hands down the WORST butchering of lore we've ever seen in WoW history. Other games had bad parts sure, but SL was nothing but full of bad parts.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by neik View Post
    Anything is better than tranny propaganda which is what currently shadowlands is. And with new race/class is coming things aren't going to chance. At least some of us still have mythic plus. I hope that doesn't get castrated fully, unless they get their hands on it too.
    We get it, dude. You're a bigot.

  16. #76
    Quote Originally Posted by neik View Post
    Anything is better than tranny propaganda which is what currently shadowlands is. And with new race/class is coming things aren't going to chance. At least some of us still have mythic plus. I hope that doesn't get castrated fully, unless they get their hands on it too.
    What's next, calling it the furry expansion because of Ardenweald. At least choose something that actually mattered to the plot even a tiny bit.

  17. #77
    Quote Originally Posted by neik View Post
    Anything is better than tranny propaganda which is what currently shadowlands is. And with new race/class is coming things aren't going to chance. At least some of us still have mythic plus. I hope that doesn't get castrated fully, unless they get their hands on it too.
    Why are you so hateful for no good reason?

  18. #78
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggressive View Post
    I think you said it rather well right here. Everything else that people are saying is just vomit and Bullshit to make themselves look smarter. What you just said nailed it on the head. Blizzard games are no longer fun...subjective or not.
    To be honest? I think on a pure gameplay level, its no more or less fun than the last few expansions. I would argue 9.2 is even a better final patch than 8.3 was, because it came in having fixed much of the gameplay inconveniences that she Shadowlands borrowed power system brought, while 8.3 started with its own issue of randomness with the corruption system that needed its own fixing. The story felt lackluster but honestly, I would be surprised if the story, especially the Jailer as main villain, was something any of the writing devs felt passionate about and we don't know how much of it was still Afrasiabis brain child.

  19. #79
    I am Murloc! A Chozo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Eorzea
    Posts
    5,972
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    Shadowlands is hands down the WORST butchering of lore we've ever seen in WoW history.
    Not even in the top 3.

    1 - WoD's InfiniLegion broke huge parts of the lore. NEVER mess with time-travel, especially when your writers have molasses for brains
    2 - TBC had no story and transformed several characters into villains just because we needed loot piñatas
    3 - Cataclysm is a meme. Deathwing was something then they transformed him into a character that makes the Jailer look like a well-written person

    I understand recency bias is a thing but everyone pretending that WoW's lore was somehow good before Shadowlands is trolling or never played the other expansions.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by neik View Post
    Anything is better than tranny propaganda which is what currently shadowlands is.
    So, are those "trannies" in the room with us right now, Ms. Neik?

  20. #80
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    I'm simple, I guess: bad writing is bad writing.

    Doesn't matter if it's about the band of gnolls terrorizing a poor village, or Lord Megabad threatening to unravel all of creation - if the writing's bad, it's bad.

    Certainly some topics are easier to write well, and others are easier to write poorly. But it's not the subject matter that's the problem, it's how it's written.
    no, the problem isn't even the bad writing, it's that it's bad and the people writing it think it's serious, epic and poignant. without any understanding of how setting up plot points and character development works, at all.

    like, not a single part of The Jailer's plans make any god damned sense, none of what Sylvanas does makes any sense. there is such a fundamental disconnect with how you write a story at Blizzard. it's so obvious these people do not bother to look at past lore to make it make sense, all that matters is making things bigger and more epicer, because the cool factor is somehow supposed to make up for your story being a pile of shit.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •