Why is there no reason to kill non-rare elites anymore?

Its a pet peeve of mine. Not a few expansions ago, even in nzoth zones in bfa endpatch, you had a tiny incentive to kill elites. It could be currency, faster % completion, anything really. But so far in Zereth Mortis there's no quest, no drops, no special mount grind, nothing. The elites are also placed in ways that its super easy to avoid, which would be fine if they'd atleast give something but since they don't, you're practically asked to dodge them all day. The only ones you care to kill are the rare spawns that are ganged up on.

It's probably a pretty niche peeve, but i still don't get why blizz did it. They could easily stick some rewards on them and people who don't want to fight them would get it from easier mobs. Makes the outdoors feel needlessly hollow.

Because the game is more or less hack and slash these days, if you pull a mob, may as well pull 5 more and aoe them. And similar to Diablo, there's no reason to kill regular mobs outside of quests.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    your argument doesn't make sense. you specifically mention nzoth zones in bfa endpatch, people only killed rare elites there to fill the bar once and then they avoided them like the plague. as for your claim that there is no quest there, well that just shows that you clearly haven't been playing the game. there are several world quests that send you there to kill whatever you can; elites give you more credit so yeah you target them. as for not dropping anything useful, well that's not true either. they drop sandworn chest key fragments and dominance keys, transmog etc.

What non-rare elite mobs are you talking about?

You can't be talking about the desert Mawsworn, because they do have quest content attached to them, and they're not out of the way. I honestly can't think of anywhere else in Zereth Mortis where there are elite-level mobs that aren't a rare that people gang up on or a quest target that needs to be killed.

This is such a specific non-issue. Also, i am pretty sure the elites in the desert part have a chance to drop a transmog sword.

Well fortunately for you this is something they are possibly addressing in Dragonflight. They kind of hinted at bringing back something similar to the concept of micro-dungeons in vanilla. it was really just a very minor blurb so far in an interview with Ion, so we will see what actually comes from it once beta begins.

As for the current game, there's a reason to kill ZM elites. As someone else mentioned they have a low chance to drop cosmetic weapon mogs. They also drop the key fragments for sandworn chests and a chance of dropping a dominance key as well.