Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
1
2
  1. #21
    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Rad1um View Post
    I didn't bother reading passed this because its fundamentally flawed.

    Im not talking about buying power or my own ability to make decisions.
    So you're not saying anything anyway and are not making any points.

    What a great way to take part in a discussion you yourself initiated. So the entirety of your thread is a self-admission of bad decision making.

  2. #22
    The Undying Gehco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    FEEL THE WRATH OF MY SPANNER!!
    Posts
    35,751
    Quote Originally Posted by Rad1um View Post
    It literally is converted into an automated process. ALL character and guild paid services is now automated, why not drop the prices down to -30%, permanently? I bet you'd get a bunch of people to buy your services at THEIR convenience, not yours.


    Take you back to Long Boi, Blizzard LITERALLY tried to squeeze cash out of people to buy gold to buy their mount, at a time where most of the world was on lockdown and struggling for finances. I understand this is a superficial luxury, but my point stands. Had Blizzard just made Long Boi available indefinitely, I bet you my last dollar that people would be buying gold tokens NOW and in the future, for said expensive mount to continue a nice healthy revenue stream.

    Same with services. It costs ZERO man power, except for IT (that's already there) and customer support reps in case something goes wrong (that are also already there working)...

    Thoughts?



    I am not discussing the being responsible with your finances, im strictly talking about these services and mounts being available to purchase with gold when its convenient to the clientele.
    Because it is called an 'offer'?

    I mean, just like in physical stores, an offer tend to be limited.

    Just as a store works, it makes random offers to gain attention and customers, no one is forced to use them or should expect it to stick around forever.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Because it is called an 'offer'?

    I mean, just like in physical stores, an offer tend to be limited.

    Just as a store works, it makes random offers to gain attention and customers, no one is forced to use them or should expect it to stick around forever.
    Yes, all correct, although to be fair, i believe the topic at hand is why cant the price be reduced overall. I just think it was framed very strange.
    Quote Originally Posted by Exkrementor View Post
    Nobody uses Online forums anymore.

  4. #24
    Elemental Lord
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    8,373
    Quote Originally Posted by Rad1um View Post
    Take you back to Long Boi, Blizzard LITERALLY tried to squeeze cash out of people to buy gold to buy their mount
    I get that it's popular to tout this as fact, but it really is not. In fact it LITERALLY makes no sense.

    The Long Boi was designed as a gold sink - and was quite specifically targetting Auction House goblins. Just the fact that what made it special was the Auctioneer on its back should be a MASSIVE clue about this. Given the way the tokens work, and gold price of the Long Boi, the notion of spending tokens to buy it is somewhat insane. It would cost a small fortune. You could literally buy every other mount in the shop for less. And the one thing that makes the Long Boi special, is something that is only going to be useful to someone who spends a significant amount of time on the AH, and thus likely has the gold necessary to buy it.

    The reason they put it in the game for a limited time period was to get people to play the game then, rather than simply waiting for inflation to make the mount cheap.

    Honestly, if Blizzard wanted to make money out of the Long Boi, by far the best method would have been to put it in the shop for a fraction of the price of what it would have cost someone to buy the tokens necessary to buy it.

    Note: I am not saying that no one used tokens to buy this thing. In a game with millions of players, of course, some will. But they likely only accounted for a small fraction of Long Boi purchases, and the money Blizzard netted as a result was really modest. What I am saying is that token sales were given very little (if any) consideration in terms of how the Long Boi was implemented.

    There is zero need to resort to silly conspiracy theories when a simple, rational, logical explanation exists that is plain to see with just a modicum of critical thinking applied.
    Last edited by Raelbo; 2022-06-14 at 09:15 AM.

  5. #25
    High Overlord
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    'Member to pet the hippo kids!
    Posts
    116
    to be fair, each service costs around 0,1 cent in electricity fee so 50 dollars mark up is a ok.

  6. #26
    Bloodsail Admiral Rad1um's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Azeroth!
    Posts
    1,125
    Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    ...[B] But they likely only accounted for a small fraction of Long Boi purchases[/B...
    Where are you referencing this from? I mean you're talking about "Silly conspiracy theories" and this statement here is by far the silliest. They DID make money from it via shop by making gold tokens available.

    Let me know where you got your stats from.
    I know... ugly green blanket. The beautiful person who gave it to me earned her wings and this is the last tangible thing she gave me.

  7. #27
    Elemental Lord
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    8,373
    Quote Originally Posted by Rad1um View Post
    Where are you referencing this from? I mean you're talking about "Silly conspiracy theories" and this statement here is by far the silliest. They DID make money from it via shop by making gold tokens available.

    Let me know where you got your stats from.
    Or...you made the assertion with no warrants or backing. The onus is on you to prove, beyond reasonable doubt, that your assertion holds. All I have to do is cast reasonable doubt. And quite frankly, I did far more than that by pointing out the glaringly obvious flaws in your assertion.

    So...where are you getting your stats from?

  8. #28
    Bloodsail Admiral Rad1um's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Azeroth!
    Posts
    1,125
    Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    Or...you made the assertion with no warrants or backing.
    So...where are you getting your stats from?
    Sure but you decided to rebuttal without asking, so here I am asking YOU, where did you get these stats from? You didn't ask me and now you're asking me for data after the fact?

    A very weak position. Instead of saying I DO NOT HAVE THE DATA and thats it.

    You did nothing and you wasted my time by your argument being so weak, you took my line of questioning and are using it because you dont actually have data.

    Gotcha!

    FACT:
    It literally is converted into an automated process. ALL character and guild paid services is now automated, why not drop the prices down to -30%, permanently? I bet you'd get a bunch of people to buy your services at THEIR convenience, not yours.
    Source: Im a software engineer. Any moron working in tech knows this.

    Fact: Causing a scarce in an item gets people to buy it faster at any means via tokens or otherwise. By your own admission btw.
    Take you back to Long Boi, Blizzard LITERALLY tried to squeeze cash out of people to buy gold to buy their mount,
    Source: https://www.investopedia.com/terms/l...ply-demand.asp

    Fact: This was in 2020
    at a time where most of the world was on lockdown and struggling for finances.
    Source: https://blizzardwatch.com/2019/11/22...d-shadowlands/

    This was an opinion, as you can see here, a "BET" as I stated. If you cant see how leaving him on the market could have generated more money, I cant help you anymore.
    Had Blizzard just made Long Boi available indefinitely, I bet you my last dollar that people would be buying gold tokens NOW and in the future, for said expensive mount to continue a nice healthy revenue stream.
    Fact:
    Same with services. It costs ZERO man power, except for IT (that's already there) and customer support reps in case something goes wrong (that are also already there working)...
    Source: Again, software engineer, I have worked as a tech support rep for Riot Games. Everyone knows this is true.


    Ill wait for your data.
    Last edited by Rad1um; 2022-06-14 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Facts dont care about your feelings.
    I know... ugly green blanket. The beautiful person who gave it to me earned her wings and this is the last tangible thing she gave me.

  9. #29
    Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    ...location, location!
    Posts
    13,813
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerph- View Post
    While this is the case, they could just increase the cooldown and amount you can use on an account per cooldown (so if you have 50 characters, you're not transferring them everywhere whenever possible).
    My thoughts exactly. They have plenty of alternative methods to prevent things from being spammed, they'd just rather make money off of it.

  10. #30
    Elemental Lord
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    8,373
    Quote Originally Posted by Rad1um View Post
    Sure but you decided to rebuttal without asking, so here I am asking YOU, where did you get these stats from? You didn't ask me and now you're asking me for data after the fact?

    A very weak position. Instead of saying I DO NOT HAVE THE DATA and thats it.

    You did nothing and you wasted my time by your argument being so weak, you took my line of questioning and are using it because you dont actually have data.
    Dude. You made an assertion without backing and/or warrants. I disagreed with that assertion and gave a reasoned argument as to why. You then demanded a source, so I simply pointed out why that demand of yours is unreasonable - and why. Now you're just deflecting.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rad1um View Post
    FACT:: "It literally is converted into an automated process. ALL character and guild paid services is now automated, why not drop the prices down to -30%, permanently? I bet you'd get a bunch of people to buy your services at THEIR convenience, not yours."
    I never took issue with this fact. So I am not sure why you think it's relevant to quote it back to me.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rad1um View Post
    Source: Im a software engineer. Any moron working in tech knows this.
    I must admit, I had a good chuckle at this. You inadvertently just called yourself a moron.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rad1um View Post
    "Take you back to Long Boi, Blizzard LITERALLY tried to squeeze cash out of people to buy gold to buy their mount"
    Fact: Causing a scarce in an item gets people to buy it faster at any means via tokens or otherwise. By your own admission btw.
    Source: https://www.investopedia.com/terms/l...ply-demand.asp
    If you're going to use the term "by your own admission" then at least be true to what I "admitted" to and don't cherry pick. Otherwise you just look dishonest. Which reflects poorly on your argument.

    As I said, there is little doubt that some people did buy it with tokens. But that is a far cry from agreeing that "Blizzard LITERALLY tried to squeeze cash out of people to buy gold to buy their mount".

    Also, if you're going to quote a source, you source needs to prove your assertion. It does not. The article you linked simply explains the laws of supply and demand. Laws that I have little doubt even "Any moron working in tech knows". Said article provides absolutely zero data indicating how many token sales Blizzard achieved as a result of the existence of the Long Boi, let alone providing any evidence supporting the notion that selling more tokens had any bearing on Blizzard's intent with the Long Boi.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rad1um View Post
    Source: https://blizzardwatch.com/2019/11/22...d-shadowlands/

    This was an opinion, as you can see here, a "BET" as I stated. If you cant see how leaving him on the market could have generated more money, I cant help you anymore.
    You do realise that you're contradicting your own argument. Above you tried to argue that making it scarce would make people buy it faster and achieve more token sales. Now you're arguing that leaving it around longer would have generated more tokens sales.

    What I am arguing is that it was never their intention to generate token sales from the Long Boi.

    Source: From your own article:

    please don’t try and buy it using WoW Tokens. Even if they were 200k gold per token, you’re still looking at $500. Please, please don’t do that.
    If the author of that article knows, Blizzard also know it. Fortunately, the same article does theorize as to why Blizzard did this. And it's pretty much exactly what I was saying:

    There’s no reasoning given for the removal of the mount, but we can speculate...
    Between the Black Market and massive gold sink mounts like the Brutosaur and the Bloodfang Widow, it feels like they’re trying to take as much gold out of the economy as possible...
    Are they hoping that the artificial scarcity created by removing it from the vendor spurs a rush and convinces some people who were on the fence about buying it to pull the trigger and dump gold they might’ve saved?
    PS: Blizzard did actually end up giving a reason for the removal of the Brutosaur, and again, it confirms my position:

    Source: https://www.wowhead.com/news/the-auc...r-mount-298871

    We’ve seen how luxury mounts like the Traveler’s Tundra Mammoth started out as something special and rare ... They were originally ultra-exclusive ... but then became increasingly commonplace due to gold inflation over time ... we want to ensure that in the long run, years from now, we don’t find ourselves looking around and seeing AH mounts that are as common as repair mounts are today.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rad1um View Post
    Fact:
    "Same with services. It costs ZERO man power, except for IT (that's already there) and customer support reps in case something goes wrong (that are also already there working)... "

    Source: Again, software engineer, I have worked as a tech support rep for Riot Games. Everyone knows this is true.
    Again, not a part of your argument I refuted. So basically irrelevant to what I was talking about.


    PS: If you read through the various sources provided both by yourself and by me, pretty much everything I said in my original is supported.
    Last edited by Raelbo; 2022-06-14 at 02:58 PM.

  11. #31
    Bloodsail Admiral Rad1um's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Azeroth!
    Posts
    1,125
    Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    Dude. You made an assertion without backing and/or warrants... .
    I didn't bother reading anything else because you did the same and didn't say a damn thing until I called you out. You're weak at best.

    Please stop wasting my time with your weak arguments. Im kinda busy and like to forget you exist. I cannot respect anyone who takes the opposing argument and makes it theirs because they were too weak to come up with something original.

    Bye Felicia.
    Last edited by Rad1um; 2022-06-14 at 03:41 PM.
    I know... ugly green blanket. The beautiful person who gave it to me earned her wings and this is the last tangible thing she gave me.

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    Pricing of those services never had anything to do with the cost of providing them. It's expensive so you don't use them willy nilly all the time.
    It's that they want money... how can you possibly buy into that talking point?

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by Celement View Post
    It's that they want money... how can you possibly buy into that talking point?
    Faction imbalances, dead servers, overcrowded servers... do you think things would get better or worse if character transfers cost 10 cents a pop?

  14. #34
    Why a limited time?

    Fear Of Missing Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Since Arthas used Frostmourne, which is a Runeblade, and Frostmourne's power eminates from those runes, that made him a Runemaster by default.

  15. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    Faction imbalances, dead servers, overcrowded servers... do you think things would get better or worse if character transfers cost 10 cents a pop?
    Better because it would stop blizzard from monetizing their broken systems.

    Why do you think mythic remains locked during progression? Do you really buy the whole " server identity" bullshit or is it because mythic players are the main consumers of transfers to find guilds that fit their schedules?

    The realms have been arguably dead since mop. It's just profiteering off them it's why the new player realms are always terrible realms rather then Illidan/stormrage/area 52 etc.

    If blizzard put the health of the game first over nickel and diming its playerbase we would have a fourth of the total realms we do and cross content.

  16. #36
    Elemental Lord
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    8,373
    Quote Originally Posted by Rad1um View Post
    I didn't bother reading anything else
    Yeah, it shows.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rad1um View Post
    Please stop wasting my time with your weak arguments. Im kinda busy and like to forget you exist. I cannot respect anyone who takes the opposing argument and makes it theirs because they were too weak to come up with something original.
    The only person wasting someone else's time is you because, as you admitted, you don't bother reading what other people say to you in a thread you started. I mean what is even the point of starting a discussion if you're too insecure to take constructive criticism? Or do you have some other agenda here? (your confession that you basically work for Blizzard's competition is somewhat suspicious)

  17. #37
    Something tells me the OP doesn't know what the concept of sales are.
    Just don't reply to me. Please. If you can help it.

  18. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Morgaith View Post
    They are charging what people will pay for and yes i agree that it should be free given the sub fee, token and wow shop.
    This is incorrect. They are charging enough to get people NOT to pay. They don't want people changing factions/races each boss during progression to get the best racials. The cost is intended to be "too expensive" so you only do it if you feel like you really need to.
    Snarky: Adjective - Any language that contains quips or comments containing sarcastic or satirical witticisms intended as blunt irony. Usually delivered in a manner that is somewhat abrupt and out of context and intended to stun and amuse.

  19. #39
    Elemental Lord
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    8,373
    Quote Originally Posted by Celement View Post
    It's that they want money... how can you possibly buy into that talking point?
    He's 100% correct. It was very clear that when Blizzard introduced those services they were priced at a point intended to discourage frequent use.

    That being said, I think that ship has sailed long ago and that now Blizzard treat them as part of their revenue model. And I am fine with it. Any way Blizzard has of extracting revenue from other players in order to keep the game I love going in spite of a significantly reduced subscriber base has my vote.

  20. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by WinningOne View Post
    Why would you give something away for free when you can sell it for $25 and make a Billion dollars a year?
    Why would you give something away for free when you have to pay for the servers it runs on, the people who maintain the servers and continuous support and maintenance to keep the service running?

    It's cool you guys mostly work at McDonalds but "automated" processes are usually more expensive than manual ones.
    Snarky: Adjective - Any language that contains quips or comments containing sarcastic or satirical witticisms intended as blunt irony. Usually delivered in a manner that is somewhat abrupt and out of context and intended to stun and amuse.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •