Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
LastLast
  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by Vampiregenesis View Post
    Yes, the voice acting is fantastic, actually, I kinda like the story element of ESO.
    I'm always surprised how good the lip sync is for the models given how bad the animation in ESO generally is.

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    This has gotten better with each expansion, but is definitely overwritten to some extent.

    I consider this a minor gripe when the overall storytelling is so stellar though, especially when you can get around the over-writing by just reading the first sentence in most text blocks. The most important dialogue is voiced, and those segments don't suffer from the overwriting.

    - - - Updated - - -



    I love Warcraft 3 but can we not pretend Blizzard doing "A good character tampered with power they couldn't control and became corrupted" is some revelation. They've done it like a dozen times.
    And yet its still their most popular story and the most popular game lore story in the world I guess. I dont know any game lore stories thats better, but hey I also dont play story driven games. A story can be cliche as another said to me, but if its done good..
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO
    NZXT H440 - Asus Z97 A Mobo - Corsair RM 850 - Intel I5 4590 CPU - Evo TX3 Cooler Master - Asus 970 Strix - 250GB SSD 850 Evo - Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD - Windows 10

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by Djuntas View Post
    And yet its still their most popular story and the most popular game lore story in the world I guess. I dont know any game lore stories thats better, but hey I also dont play story driven games. A story can be cliche as another said to me, but if its done good..
    I don't think that it is their most popular story because it is some mind blowing bit of storytelling. For one thing, Blizzard's storytelling sucks so their "best" story doesn't mean much. They have always been great at lore and terrible at story.

    The game has excellent aesthetics, fantastic gameplay, and the turn of playing the good guy as the humans and then turning right around to playing him as the bad guy in the undead campaign is awesome. It all comes together really well, but lets just chill out when the character is incredibly two dimensional and a rehash of ideas Blizzard's writers do over and over and over again. They do it IN WARCRAFT 3 multiple times. Good guys getting corrupted and turning into bad guys is something they do over and over and over and over and over and over again. It's the closest they usually get to three dimensionality, which is pretty sad because it isn't at all complex. It's cheap.

    Also the idea that Arthas is a more well known story than Mario or Zelda is certainly.... a take.
    Last edited by NineSpine; 2022-06-09 at 02:34 PM.
    "stop puting you idiotic liberal words into my mouth"
    -ynnady

  4. #44
    Give me a story driven RPG over some endless tripe driven 'rpg' any day...

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    You've never played the game did you? Literally wtf kind of comment is this?

    " I literally get out if my chair and walk away till it's done."

    Just press escape and skip the cutscene? Surely it's not that hard.

    "FF14s stort is trash in everyway."

    You're wrong.
    I have played it. It is 100% trash. It has the same mentality and writing as a tiktok video.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    I don't think that it is their most popular story because it is some mind blowing bit of storytelling. For one thing, Blizzard's storytelling sucks so their "best" story doesn't mean much. They have always been great at lore and terrible at story.

    The game has excellent aesthetics, fantastic gameplay, and the turn of playing the good guy as the humans and then turning right around to playing him as the bad guy in the undead campaign is awesome. It all comes together really well, but lets just chill out when the character is incredibly two dimensional and a rehash of ideas Blizzard's writers do over and over and over again. They do it IN WARCRAFT 3 multiple times. Good guys getting corrupted and turning into bad guys is something they do over and over and over and over and over and over again. It's the closest they usually get to three dimensionality, which is pretty sad because it isn't at all complex. It's cheap.

    Also the idea that Arthas is a more well known story than Mario or Zelda is certainly.... a take.
    Cept its true. I know adults and kids who knew about arthus before ever hearing about mario or zelda. I am talking about adults in their 60s who should of grown up with a nintendo.

  6. #46
    Well a MMORPG are supposed to have lore, you cant have a lame lore like WoW. Getting good lore take time so that people can get invested into the characters, bond with them and have a more fun experience enjoying the road to end lvl.

    Also I need to point out that the developers have known for a long time that people who are not into reading dont like ARR, which is why they took drastic measures to make it more fast paced by deleting quests (which were more aimed in getting to know characters) and changing some quests but keeping the lore. To me, well I hated that they deleted it, its like tearing a large amount of pages of a good book because people dont like to read. I have to keep saying to people that for a good story you need to bond with the characters and for that to happen it takes time, especially if its a entirely new game with alot of characters.

  7. #47
    You want them to be transaction focused like Blizzard's games then?
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Biden is a creepy old dude, I will not be voting for the guy.
    ^ This is from a self-proclaimed Trump-hater who goes round vote-policing, berating and insulting other users for expressing their doubts and reservations about Joe Biden. He also urges others to end relationships and friendships just to "vote Trump out". https://ibb.co/2jRnZGC He can't seem to walk the talk himself.

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by Utrrabbit View Post
    Cept its true. I know adults and kids who knew about arthus before ever hearing about mario or zelda. I am talking about adults in their 60s who should of grown up with a nintendo.
    It's flatly delusional to think Arthas is a more well known figure than Mario. You just showed your hand and proved that all of your shit here is just trolling.
    "stop puting you idiotic liberal words into my mouth"
    -ynnady

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by Accendor View Post
    HAHAHAHAAHAHAHA, that is the most ridiculous thing I have ever read.
    just because the story itself is not good doesnt mean the presentation is. the way wow handles is beat most other Games

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by jkq View Post
    just because the story itself is not good doesnt mean the presentation is. the way wow handles is beat most other Games
    The way wow handles it is to make it incomprehensible in the game by hiding all the actual story in books and other media. It's comically bad.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Talrath View Post
    Well a MMORPG are supposed to have lore, you cant have a lame lore like WoW. Getting good lore take time so that people can get invested into the characters, bond with them and have a more fun experience enjoying the road to end lvl.

    Also I need to point out that the developers have known for a long time that people who are not into reading dont like ARR, which is why they took drastic measures to make it more fast paced by deleting quests (which were more aimed in getting to know characters) and changing some quests but keeping the lore. To me, well I hated that they deleted it, its like tearing a large amount of pages of a good book because people dont like to read. I have to keep saying to people that for a good story you need to bond with the characters and for that to happen it takes time, especially if its a entirely new game with alot of characters.
    ARR needs a ground up revamp. It is far too slow paced, and the patch content is a disaster that drives out players.
    "stop puting you idiotic liberal words into my mouth"
    -ynnady

  11. #51
    Titan Orby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Essex, England
    Posts
    12,107
    Becuas they may be MMORPG's. MMORPG's are very story focused because RPG's generally are.
    Last edited by Orby; 2022-06-14 at 01:31 PM.
    "People fear, not death, but having life taken from them. Many waste the life given to them, occupying themselves with things that do not matter. When the end comes, they say they did not have time enough to spend with loved ones, to fulfill dreams, to go on adventures they only talked about... But why should you fear death if you are happy with the life you have led, if you can look back on everything and say, 'Yes, I am content. It is enough.'" - Wynne ( Dragon Age: Origins.)

  12. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by Accendor View Post
    HAHAHAHAAHAHAHA, that is the most ridiculous thing I have ever read.
    Well, it's true. WoW storytelling doesn't interrupt gameplay, because it's still mostly non-existing.

  13. #53
    Pit Lord Lady Atia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    The Rumour Tower
    Posts
    2,353
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    FF14 isn't a MMO. It's a singleplayer game with a glorified multiplayer component.

    If you want an actual Final Fantasy themed MMO, then play FF11. You have to slog through some cutscenes to unlock certain content and zones but for the most part you can do whatever you want.

    - - - Updated - - -



    I think he meant how in Vanilla, you weren't playing through a main storyline or following Anduin or Thrall or whatever superhero. You just picked a direction and went, and did quests that interested you, and gradually absorbed the lore of the setting, but you weren't on rails. Whereas in Shadowlands you have to play through the main story in order like you are playing a singleplayer game.
    Well, classic story telling was crap and I'm glad we have the current style now. And honestly, the more WoW takes from FFXIV the better. It's supposed to be a mmoRPG after all.

  14. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    It's flatly delusional to think Arthas is a more well known figure than Mario. You just showed your hand and proved that all of your shit here is just trolling.
    Think what you want, but I am speaking the truth. Call it what you want but it is the truth from personal experience.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    The way wow handles it is to make it incomprehensible in the game by hiding all the actual story in books and other media. It's comically bad.

    - - - Updated - - -



    ARR needs a ground up revamp. It is far too slow paced, and the patch content is a disaster that drives out players.
    All the lore is in game. You just have to do with this thing called reading quests. I knew all this lore stuff that people are complaining about long time before people started posting about it, cause it is literally laid out in quest text with everysingle bit of data. The vast majority if people are just dense when it comes to stuff like that.

  15. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by Utrrabbit View Post
    Call it what you want but it is the truth from personal experience.
    FYI, that's just anecdotal evidence and it is not reliable in the slightest.

  16. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by jkq View Post
    just because the story itself is not good doesnt mean the presentation is. the way wow handles is beat most other Games
    No, it really, really, REALLY doesn't. I don't even know how to argue here, because right now it sounds as if you tell me the sky is green.

  17. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by Utrrabbit View Post
    Think what you want, but I am speaking the truth. Call it what you want but it is the truth from personal experience.

    - - - Updated - - -



    All the lore is in game. You just have to do with this thing called reading quests. I knew all this lore stuff that people are complaining about long time before people started posting about it, cause it is literally laid out in quest text with everysingle bit of data. The vast majority if people are just dense when it comes to stuff like that.
    You are objectively wrong on both counts. Mario is a cultural icon. Arthas is simply not. If you compare them on google trends, arthas doesn’t even register on the chart:

    https://trends.google.com/trends/exp...q=Arthas,Mario

    Al the lore is not in the game. That’s a factually untrue thing to say. Massive amounts of the lore is only found in other media, including key character motivations.

    Also the idea that quest text is some amazing way to tell a story is ludicrous. Quest text is delivered almost entirely in unvoiced blocks. The vast, vast, vast majority of quests are unrelated to the central story.

    You are basically arguing that blocks of text, the majority of which are unrelated to the central story, are a better storytelling device than voiced cutscenes with animation and camera work.

    - - - Updated - - -

    For the sake of comparison, here is every voiced cutscene in Shadowlands 9.0:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7irApdaNXw8

    These are all the voiced cutscenes in Endwalker 6.0:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ-0jsKA69c
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zysmc5i8m1c&t=0s

    WoW clocks in at 56 minutes. FF14 clocks in at almost 16 hours.
    "stop puting you idiotic liberal words into my mouth"
    -ynnady

  18. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by Accendor View Post
    No, it really, really, REALLY doesn't. I don't even know how to argue here, because right now it sounds as if you tell me the sky is green.
    Which would make him a total fool of course. Let's not tell him the sky is actually purple.

  19. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    For the sake of comparison, here is every voiced cutscene in Shadowlands 9.0:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7irApdaNXw8

    These are all the voiced cutscenes in Endwalker 6.0:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ-0jsKA69c
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zysmc5i8m1c&t=0s

    WoW clocks in at 56 minutes. FF14 clocks in at almost 16 hours.
    Not that i doubt FF14 probably has more voiced cutscenes. But this is missing every quest where we ride a wyvern and get voice exposition or voiced quests in general, which WoW has quite a few of. It's not all strictly cutscenes, but they do voice quite a bit in WoW while not interupting people that just want to zoom to max lvl (and who can blame them when they'd have to do so much over and over to get a different class to max).
    It's also not rare that groups have to "watch" a boss do something before they open up the gate.

  20. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakzor View Post
    Not that i doubt FF14 probably has more voiced cutscenes. But this is missing every quest where we ride a wyvern and get voice exposition or voiced quests in general, which WoW has quite a few of. It's not all strictly cutscenes, but they do voice quite a bit in WoW while not interupting people that just want to zoom to max lvl (and who can blame them when they'd have to do so much over and over to get a different class to max).
    It's also not rare that groups have to "watch" a boss do something before they open up the gate.
    FF14 has lots of similar incidental voice acting that is outside cutscenes too, so that is really a moot point unless you can provide evidence that it is so drastically more in WoW that we need to consider it. This isn't like we are quibbling about 10 hours of cutscenes versus 9 hours of cutscenes. There is a 15 hour gap that you seem to think WoW is making up with incidental voice acting and that is just fantastical in the extreme.
    "stop puting you idiotic liberal words into my mouth"
    -ynnady

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •