The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
    Imagine comparing an addiction to another addiction. Oh no, what a leap that is. What a ridiculous argument to make.
    Breathing is an addiction. Eating is an addiction. Drinking (water) is an addiction. Enjoyment is an addiction.

So you see, addiction is good.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Breathing is an addiction. Eating is an addiction. Drinking (water) is an addiction. Enjoyment is an addiction.

galaxy brain take to compare functions that keep you alive to a mental condition. really flexing those college level understandings of how the brain works.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost of Cow View Post
    More like people are dismissing the takes of armchair doctors who got their education from youtubers who repeat things like "predatory" and "psychological tricks" so that people with no experience in the field at all will regurgitate them ad nauseam.
    you keep accusing me of getting my knowledge from youtubers, my opinions from youtubers, etc etc. projecting much? cause my experiences with the game are my own and my understanding of field of monetization and marketing comes from actualy studying it on order to utilize it in actual business and realizing just how insidious it can get as well as being able to see WHERE its being utilized, but please do continue to live in your blissful ignorance.

Imagine comparing an addiction to another addiction. Oh no, what a leap that is. What a ridiculous argument to make.
    Actually it IS a pretty big leap. The fact that you seem to think yourself an authority while claiming that playing D:I is the same as taking heroin is pretty astonishing. I'm sure you think that bottle rockets are nuclear bombs too, right?

Again, pretty hard to take you guys seriously.

Actually it IS a pretty big leap. The fact that you seem to think yourself an authority while claiming that playing D:I is the same as taking heroin is pretty astonishing. I'm sure you think that bottle rockets are nuclear bombs too, right?

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31905114/

and before you say anything, guess what these gatcha games are deliberately designed to do? cause your dopamine to spike.

https://sitn.hms.harvard.edu/flash/2...s-battle-time/ this is about smartphone and social media use in general, but here's one about games specifically, citing studies.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...ure-circuits-0

and hey. look, still not a single youtube video. not even touching medical professionals videos here, since you are apparently allergic to video format and a platform, even thought that platform is a host to educated professionals along with amateur enthusiasts.

but please... do continue to be dismissive becasue your personal investment into the game trumps all. (which ironically is a core component of this whole "discussion" since that personal investment is something companies deliberately try to cultivate to keep people playing and keep people paying.)

This is the most asinine thing I have ever fucking seen. Those things you listed are not addictions. They don't remotely fit the definition of addiction.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/addiction

Login. Buy the monthly legendary crest from the hilt shop.
    Got a 2-star gem. Logout.
    Didn't do the raid or any dailies because they don't provide 5-star gems.

The cost to get a 5-star gem is not the problem for Diablo Immortal.
    The problem is that there is no daily or weekly activity to obtain a 5-star gem.
    No matter how small the chance is, Blizzard has to throw a bone at F2P, but no !

Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post

and before you say anything, guess what these gatcha games are deliberately designed to do? cause your dopamine to spike.

https://sitn.hms.harvard.edu/flash/2...s-battle-time/ this is about smartphone and social media use in general, but here's one about games specifically, citing studies.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...ure-circuits-0

and hey. look, still not a single youtube video. not even touching medical professionals videos here, since you are apparently allergic to video format and a platform, even thought that platform is a host to educated professionals along with amateur enthusiasts.

but please... do continue to be dismissive becasue your personal investment into the game trumps all. (which ironically is a core component of this whole "discussion" since that personal investment is something companies deliberately try to cultivate to keep people playing and keep people paying.)
    Again, you don't even seem to understand what you're posting.

Yes, dopamine exists. No shit. Is it some drug you take? No, it's completely natural and produced in the body. Guess what stimulates it? Basically everything that you like. Do humans overindulge in things that produce dopamine for them? Yes - and they do it with literally everything. Food, games, sex, TV, shopping, etc. Keeping things in moderation even when you like them is literally most of what being a functioning, healthy adult is all about.

You guys are talking like dopamine is some kind of horrible thing that kills you just because people throw the word around and have no clue what they're talking about.

10+ Year Old Account

That's like everything in entertainment industry. Why are you focusing on games?
    And it's obvious you haven't even read the abstract. It's about drugs.
    I suspect the article in full is about narcotic drugs replacing dopamine paths which makes them required and hard to get off.
    Without drugs - dopamine is required for normal human function. Good things are remembered and form a habbit. GOOD THINGS. The reason people switch to drugs - is lack of good in their life - lack of dopamine from good things.

So when a person plays a game and it brings them joy - they will naturally want to play more. The only requirement is to make the game FUN. No predatory psychological techniques required.

Same with MTX. The only thing required is to offer something the player would want to have. Because only buying THAT can bring them JOY.

And I fail to see how it's a bad thing.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Yes, dopamine exists. No shit. Is it some drug you take? No, it's completely natural and produced in the body. Guess what stimulates it? Basically everything that you like. Do humans overindulge in things that produce dopamine for them? Yes - and they do it with literally everything. Food, games, sex, TV, shopping, etc. Keeping things in moderation even when you like them is literally most of what being a functioning, healthy adult is all about.

You guys are talking like dopamine is some kind of horrible thing that kills you just because people throw the word around and have no clue what they're talking about.
    I...

yeah, I'm done. please keep living in your blissful ignorance. judging by the speed of your response you haven't even clicked the links, let alone read them. so there is nothing else left to say to you.

10+ Year Old Account
    I...

yeah, I'm done. please keep living in your blissful ignorance. judging by the speed of your response you haven't even clicked the links, let alone read them. so there is nothing else left to say to you.
    Neither did you

Are you capable of reading everything people say to you or are you just going to perpetually skim shit and only talk about things that support your ignorant rhetoric?

Again with the strawman. Can you not argue honestly? Do you not have a single cogent set of statements that you can string together to properly defend what Blizzard have done here? Because so far a series of strawman arguments and constant "you don't know what you're talking about" is pretty much all you have. Oh, and HandSolo and his attempts to redefine what words mean so he can ignore what posters say because of what he's decided they said.

I'm comparing an addiction that has directly led to people's deaths to another addiction that has directly led to people's death. That isn't the giant leap you are trying to make it out to be.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    Are you capable of reading everything people say to you or are you just going to perpetually skim shit and only talk about things that support your ignorant rhetoric?
    Yes, I'm the one with "ignorant rhetoric" while you guys are saying stupid shit like, "Diablo gives you DOPAMINE!!!"

Yes, I'm the one with "ignorant rhetoric" while you guys are saying stupid shit like, "Diablo gives you DOPAMINE!!!"
    that's literally not what's been said. Thank you for 100% proving my point.

I'm comparing an addiction that has directly led to people's deaths to another addiction that has directly led to people's death. That isn't the giant leap you are trying to make it out to be.
    Yes. It is. It's a massive leap. It's fucking insulting to hear someone babble on about how a video game is the same as heroin because they're just THAT clueless.

People have died to fireworks, too. Also, people have died to nuclear bombs. Are these the same things because they're both explosive AND both have killed people? Or would I be a colossal fucking moron for trying to equate them in an internet message board conversation? Asking for a friend, of course.

- - - Updated - - -

that's literally not what's been said. Thank you for 100% proving my point.
    Yeah, no one would ever say that.

...oh shit, wait...

Your post history has just reached a new low.
    At this point you are arguing for the sake of arguing -you lost a long time ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    At no point have I claimed people weren't getting gold from the token or that gold can not be used to acquire power.
    p2w is not inherently unfair.

Yes. It is. It's a massive leap. It's fucking insulting to hear someone babble on about how a video game is the same as heroin because they're just THAT clueless.

People have died to fireworks, too. Also, people have died to nuclear bombs. Are these the same things because they're both explosive AND both have killed people? Or would I be a colossal fucking moron for trying to equate them in an internet message board conversation? Asking for a friend, of course.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, no one would ever say that.

...oh shit, wait...
    Dude, you have done nothing but post strawmans and irrelevant comments. Any time someone explains things, you just choose bits and pieces that fit your narrative but don't actually make any fucking sense.

Dude, you have done nothing but post strawmans and irrelevant comments. Any time someone explains things, you just choose bits and pieces that fit your narrative but don't actually make any fucking sense.
    Just keep repeating that, I guess. It's ok if you don't understand anything in this conversation beyond your irrational hate-boner. I won't judge you.

Quote Originally Posted by MrFawlty View Post
    Your post history has just reached a new low.
    At this point you are arguing for the sake of arguing -you lost a long time ago.
    you are literally trying to argue against a person with Celsius room temperature IQ levels.