1. #2841
    Quote Originally Posted by Battlebeard View Post
    It's hopeless to talk to you, you are objectively wrong on every point. I have provided very clear examples that prove that I am right. But against my own judgement, I try one more time with more relatable examples.

    About buying power, I have a car example:

    You wanna buy a new car. You have a very mediocre car. An exentric guy comes up to you and give you a deal. For a 1000 dollars, you get to pick 1 out of 5 cars, however each car is hidden behind a big sheet, so you don't know which car is behind which sheet. One of the cars, is a super nice brand new Porche, worth millions, the top notch car, an obvious upgrade to your mediocre car. The other 4 cars are complete garbage, even worse than the car you currently own. You have a 20% chance of getting a better car and a 80% chance of getting a worse one. You aren't buying a better car, you are buying a CHANCE at a better car. You can still salvage some scrap metal from the garbage cars and not end up completely empty handed, but you obviously want the nice car.

    Do you understand this example? In Diablo Immortal, the nice car is the 5 star gem, the crap cars are the 1 star gems. You buy a CHANCE at getting the 5 star gem which is an upgrade just like the nice car. But you are more likely to get get a crappy 1 star gem, just like you are more likely to get one of the crappier cars.

    So by taking the 1000 dollar deal with the exentric guy, you are NOT buying a better car, you are buying a CHANCE for a better car. Just like you don't buy a better gem, you buy a CHANCE for a better gem in Diablo.

    Do you understand what I mean now? Please tell me you get it, I could not make it more clear if I tried. I tried being as clear as I possibly can.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Call it what you want, you cannot ignore the fact that the mobile game industry is larger than the PC + console industries put together and that the majority of players are people like I mentioned. You cannot ignore reality even if you don't like it.
    AND THAT'S WHY IT'S GAMBLING. HOLY FUCKING SHIT, DUDE. Buying a loot box that provides player power with only a chance of getting more powerful stuff is literally gambling. It's a perfect example. Hilarious how you say it's hopeless to talk to me when you're the one who has been told by numerous people how and why it's gambling but refuse to listen. The only one objectively wrong is you.

  2. #2842
    Quote Originally Posted by Battlebeard View Post
    It's hopeless to talk to you, you are objectively wrong on every point. I have provided very clear examples that prove that I am right. But against my own judgement, I try one more time with more relatable examples.

    About buying power, I have a car example:

    You wanna buy a new car. You have a very mediocre car. An exentric guy comes up to you and give you a deal. For a 1000 dollars, you get to pick 1 out of 5 cars, however each car is hidden behind a big sheet, so you don't know which car is behind which sheet. One of the cars, is a super nice brand new Porche, worth millions, the top notch car, an obvious upgrade to your mediocre car. The other 4 cars are complete garbage, even worse than the car you currently own. You have a 20% chance of getting a better car and a 80% chance of getting a worse one. You aren't buying a better car, you are buying a CHANCE at a better car. You can still salvage some scrap metal from the garbage cars and not end up completely empty handed, but you obviously want the nice car.

    Do you understand this example? In Diablo Immortal, the nice car is the 5 star gem, the crap cars are the 1 star gems. You buy a CHANCE at getting the 5 star gem which is an upgrade just like the nice car. But you are more likely to get get a crappy 1 star gem, just like you are more likely to get one of the crappier cars.

    So by taking the 1000 dollar deal with the exentric guy, you are NOT buying a better car, you are buying a CHANCE for a better car. Just like you don't buy a better gem, you buy a CHANCE for a better gem in Diablo.

    Do you understand what I mean now? Please tell me you get it, I could not make it more clear if I tried. I tried being as clear as I possibly can.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Call it what you want, you cannot ignore the fact that the mobile game industry is larger than the PC + console industries put together and that the majority of players are people like I mentioned. You cannot ignore reality even if you don't like it.
    even if you were right it should not cost over half a mill to fully invest in your character.

    And there should not be bundles that can cost over $100 dollars on a kids game when they are not even buying anything tangible other than arbitrary resources the game uses to gate you.

    But its all in the game right? Pity the fool who pays for it?

    I suppose you would be ok with me selling drugs at a recovery drug and alcohol facility right? People shouldn't be junkies its all in the game right.
    Suri Cruise and Katie Holmes are SP's.

  3. #2843
    The Lightbringer Battlebeard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    3,484
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    AND THAT'S WHY IT'S GAMBLING. HOLY FUCKING SHIT, DUDE. Buying a loot box that provides player power with only a chance of getting more powerful stuff is literally gambling. It's a perfect example. Hilarious how you say it's hopeless to talk to me when you're the one who has been told by numerous people how and why it's gambling but refuse to listen. The only one objectively wrong is you.
    Can you at least now start to agree, you don't buy DIRECT power with the crests, as you can clearly see, you buy a CHANCE at it, which is indirect power as you eventually gonna get something better by buying more, but no guarantees, so it's not direct. If we debunk that, I was right at point 1. Diablo Immortal and almost every single video game has FREE gambling (I normally call it RNG but w/e) Now I'm gonna explain, why it's NOT EXCLUSIVELY PAID GAMBLING.

    Another car example, about gambling!

    Another exentric guy runs a gambling business. This guy is omega rich and likes giving out free cars, just accept he is a bit strange. Anyway, he runs a business like this:

    He has 5 cars behind 5 sheets, one is good, four is awful. He is so rich, he allows anyone who has a so called Car-Token, to pick a car. This car-token is handed out by the rich guy himself, he gives everyone who wants one a free car-token a month, what a nice guy. I'm sure you get by now that the Car-token represent a Free Legendary Crest.

    Anyway, people play, some get the good car, most get the bad car, he run his gambling business, no one pays a dime to play. They are limited to play once a month, but still it's free and you get a car monthly, a good deal.

    One day, the rich guy start to realize, he's no longer very rich, but he still wanna do his gambling business. So he start to sell Car-tokens in adition to the free he gives away. The car-token he sell, lets call it Car-token 2, is IDENTICAL to the free one. Car-token 2 doesn't give an increased chance of getting the nice car, nor does it have any other unique effect. Now obviously, car-token 2 represent the paid store legendary crest.

    Steve buys 5 car-token 2 and starts using them. It doesn't guarantee him the nice car, after each car he buy, he adds another one and shuffle them, so Steve just get 5 crap cars.

    So, adding a paid car-token doesn't really change the game at all. You don't get better odds at getting the new car, it's still one in five (20%) NOR do you get a better car IF you get the nice one. Car-token 2 doesn't give nicer prices than car-token 1, ALL it does, is allowing people to gamble MORE OFTEN.

    Same of course with Diablo. A paid legendary crest doesn't give better gems than a free one, it just allows you to run more rifts. The ODDS may increase of getting a good one, but the CHANCE will remain the same. And if you google "Difference between odds and chance" you can get it more fully explained.

    So by allowing people to buy legendary crests, it doesn't really have ANY affect on the gambling aspect. It doesn't add MORE gambling to the game, it doesn't increase your chances, it doesn't offer better loot.

    If you are against gambling in games, and if you hate the idea of Car-token 2, you also HAVE to hate the idea of the free car-token 1, because both of them works exactly the same way. FREE GAMBLING and PAID GAMBLING are THE SAME, you either like both, or hate both.

    Hence the argument to say that you pay to gamble in Diablo doesn't work. The gambling is there EVEN FOR FREE players, and buy buying more crests, it doesn't increase your chances, just your odds. Again, google the difference, and that is a HUGE difference.

    Now if you are against BOTH types of gambling, that is fine, I respect that, but you cannot be against only one of them, that is hypocritical because there is no exclusive paid gambling.

  4. #2844
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    You clearly haven't if you think D:I is a good game. Lie to yourself as much as you want but don't fucking lie to me. AND DID YOU REALLY JUST SAY DIABLO 2 DIDN'T OFFER MUCH ENDGAME?!
    "You like something I don't therefore your wrong" guess I'm also lying because I've played a lot of D2&3 and still like DI.

    And what endgame does D2 actually have? You grind specific areas or bosses hoping to get the right pieces and eventually maybe you can try ubers, but how many people have even entered an uber fight without single player cheats. Runewords, again grinding specific bosses until your eyes bleed. Or maybe you consider builds to be endgame, but it wasn't quick to make many changes as you were limited to 3 resets from difficulties or item drops from bosses unless those were a mod thing.

  5. #2845
    The Lightbringer Battlebeard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    3,484
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    even if you were right it should not cost over half a mill to fully invest in your character.

    And there should not be bundles that can cost over $100 dollars on a kids game when they are not even buying anything tangible other than arbitrary resources the game uses to gate you.

    But its all in the game right? Pity the fool who pays for it?

    I suppose you would be ok with me selling drugs at a recovery drug and alcohol facility right? People shouldn't be junkies its all in the game right.
    I mean dude, we are not in kindergarten, we don't all stand together and sing kumbaya. The world doesn't work like that. The world is tough, and if you are naive and think we should all be nice, you are gonna get pushed around.

    If kids buy these bundles, you should blame the parents. They are NOT exclusively targeted to kids, there is nothing in the marketing in the shop that adress only children. If you are a child, below 18 years old, it's your parents resonsibility to keep track of their kids actions and control their finances. Parents have full power over their children, and until they turn 18, the childs money is technically not their money, it's their parents money, they could take it all back if they wanted to, hence they are fully responsible over their childs economy. If parents are lazy or have poor judgement, it cannot be blamed on the companies who run their business.

    People call it predatory, but if you are an adult, you can and should see it, and if you still wanna buy things thats fine. I DO believe it's predatory but I do not believe it's aimed at children, so any kid who ruin themselves (technically ruin their parents) is the parents fault. It's so easy to blame the companies instead of taking resonsibility over your life or being a good parent. And adults who ruin themselves, well, tough luck, that is their problem. If they are in a position to own a phone or a PC, they already have a significally better life than most people on the planet and SHOULD have both the education and common knowledge to not fall for this.

    People have this idea that many people have ruined themselves and are tricked, but I am certain the vast majority know what Blizzard are doing and STILL chose to buy, and that is called freedom, something we should value in the west, it's what we fight for and stand for. Belgium and the Netherlands is going against what I stand for, freedom. Freedom INCLUDES the right to make bad decisions.

    You mention alcohol, and no, I don't blame alcoholics on the alcohol industry. Maybe I come off as coldhearted, but I am a a realist, and I survive very well in the real world, cause I live in the real world.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Pyrans View Post
    "You like something I don't therefore your wrong" guess I'm also lying because I've played a lot of D2&3 and still like DI.

    And what endgame does D2 actually have? You grind specific areas or bosses hoping to get the right pieces and eventually maybe you can try ubers, but how many people have even entered an uber fight without single player cheats. Runewords, again grinding specific bosses until your eyes bleed. Or maybe you consider builds to be endgame, but it wasn't quick to make many changes as you were limited to 3 resets from difficulties or item drops from bosses unless those were a mod thing.
    Yeah I think the endgame of D2 was horrible, so depending on what runes and items you had, it was either a boring repetitive grind of like ONLY Baal, or you were too bad to even get anywhere. No thank you.

  6. #2846
    Quote Originally Posted by Battlebeard View Post
    Can you at least now start to agree, you don't buy DIRECT power with the crests, as you can clearly see, you buy a CHANCE at it, which is indirect power as you eventually gonna get something better by buying more, but no guarantees, so it's not direct. If we debunk that, I was right at point 1. Diablo Immortal and almost every single video game has FREE gambling (I normally call it RNG but w/e) Now I'm gonna explain, why it's NOT EXCLUSIVELY PAID GAMBLING.

    Another car example, about gambling!

    Another exentric guy runs a gambling business. This guy is omega rich and likes giving out free cars, just accept he is a bit strange. Anyway, he runs a business like this:

    He has 5 cars behind 5 sheets, one is good, four is awful. He is so rich, he allows anyone who has a so called Car-Token, to pick a car. This car-token is handed out by the rich guy himself, he gives everyone who wants one a free car-token a month, what a nice guy. I'm sure you get by now that the Car-token represent a Free Legendary Crest.

    Anyway, people play, some get the good car, most get the bad car, he run his gambling business, no one pays a dime to play. They are limited to play once a month, but still it's free and you get a car monthly, a good deal.

    One day, the rich guy start to realize, he's no longer very rich, but he still wanna do his gambling business. So he start to sell Car-tokens in adition to the free he gives away. The car-token he sell, lets call it Car-token 2, is IDENTICAL to the free one. Car-token 2 doesn't give an increased chance of getting the nice car, nor does it have any other unique effect. Now obviously, car-token 2 represent the paid store legendary crest.

    Steve buys 5 car-token 2 and starts using them. It doesn't guarantee him the nice car, after each car he buy, he adds another one and shuffle them, so Steve just get 5 crap cars.

    So, adding a paid car-token doesn't really change the game at all. You don't get better odds at getting the new car, it's still one in five (20%) NOR do you get a better car IF you get the nice one. Car-token 2 doesn't give nicer prices than car-token 1, ALL it does, is allowing people to gamble MORE OFTEN.

    Same of course with Diablo. A paid legendary crest doesn't give better gems than a free one, it just allows you to run more rifts. The ODDS may increase of getting a good one, but the CHANCE will remain the same. And if you google "Difference between odds and chance" you can get it more fully explained.

    So by allowing people to buy legendary crests, it doesn't really have ANY affect on the gambling aspect. It doesn't add MORE gambling to the game, it doesn't increase your chances, it doesn't offer better loot.

    If you are against gambling in games, and if you hate the idea of Car-token 2, you also HAVE to hate the idea of the free car-token 1, because both of them works exactly the same way. FREE GAMBLING and PAID GAMBLING are THE SAME, you either like both, or hate both.

    Hence the argument to say that you pay to gamble in Diablo doesn't work. The gambling is there EVEN FOR FREE players, and buy buying more crests, it doesn't increase your chances, just your odds. Again, google the difference, and that is a HUGE difference.

    Now if you are against BOTH types of gambling, that is fine, I respect that, but you cannot be against only one of them, that is hypocritical because there is no exclusive paid gambling.
    How dense can you possibly be? THE REASON IT'S GAMBLING IS BECAUSE YOU ARE SPENDING MONEY FOR A GAME OF CHANCE. It doesn't fucking matter what can be gained by f2p players. That doesn't change the fact that spending money for gear and player power is gambling, by definition. Do I need to post the definition of gambling again? Anything you get for free isn't gambling. BECAUSE YOU'RE NOT SPENDING MONEY ON IT. But as soon as you exchange money for a game of chance, it becomes gambling. Holy fucking shit, dude.

  7. #2847
    Quote Originally Posted by Battlebeard View Post



    Yeah I think the endgame of D2 was horrible, so depending on what runes and items you had, it was either a boring repetitive grind of like ONLY Baal, or you were too bad to even get anywhere. No thank you.
    The end game is no different to Diablo immortal. Instead with Diablo Immortal you would have to pay for a resource to go through baals gate and hope for that rune/item to drop.
    Suri Cruise and Katie Holmes are SP's.

  8. #2848
    The Lightbringer Battlebeard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    3,484
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    How dense can you possibly be? THE REASON IT'S GAMBLING IS BECAUSE YOU ARE SPENDING MONEY FOR A GAME OF CHANCE. It doesn't fucking matter what can be gained by f2p players. That doesn't change the fact that spending money for gear and player power is gambling, by definition. Do I need to post the definition of gambling again? Anything you get for free isn't gambling. BECAUSE YOU'RE NOT SPENDING MONEY ON IT. But as soon as you exchange money for a game of chance, it becomes gambling. Holy fucking shit, dude.
    If you go to lets say Vegas, and they have a Roulette table, they say you can play for free, yet win money. Do you seriously not consider this gambling? You DO NOT have to pay to gamble. Gamble means RNG, it means doing something with a random outcome!

    Elder Rifts with free crest is a free roulette table, still gambling.
    Elder Rifts with paid crest is a paid roulette table, also gambling.

    So gambling exist in DI regardless if you pay for it or not. You cannot hate a paid roulette table without hating the free one too if you hate gambling.

  9. #2849
    Quote Originally Posted by Battlebeard View Post
    If you go to lets say Vegas, and they have a Roulette table, they say you can play for free, yet win money. Do you seriously not consider this gambling? You DO NOT have to pay to gamble. Gamble means RNG, it means doing something with a random outcome!

    Elder Rifts with free crest is a free roulette table, still gambling.
    Elder Rifts with paid crest is a paid roulette table, also gambling.

    So gambling exist in DI regardless if you pay for it or not. You cannot hate a paid roulette table without hating the free one too if you hate gambling.
    https://www.dictionary.com/browse/gamble

    So....no. It's not gambling BECAUSE THERE WAS NO EXCHANGE OF MONEY.

    "to stake or risk money, or anything of value, on the outcome of something involving chance:". Look at the definition. Read it nice and slow this time if you need to.

  10. #2850
    Quote Originally Posted by Battlebeard View Post
    If you go to lets say Vegas, and they have a Roulette table, they say you can play for free, yet win money. Do you seriously not consider this gambling? You DO NOT have to pay to gamble. Gamble means RNG, it means doing something with a random outcome!

    Elder Rifts with free crest is a free roulette table, still gambling.
    Elder Rifts with paid crest is a paid roulette table, also gambling.

    So gambling exist in DI regardless if you pay for it or not. You cannot hate a paid roulette table without hating the free one too if you hate gambling.
    Both are gambling; both are not equal. Again, to conflate the two is an intellectually dishonest endeavour.

    Everyone present in the conversation, including you, knows exactly what is meant in the context. What you are doing is like comparing stealing a base in baseball to stealing $1billion from the USA government. Both are stealing, but are in no way comparable.

    You can consider it gambling despite it being free because the crests have a value of sorts, in terms of what they potentially represent. But they have no true value beyond that (in the way that bought crests represent the money paid for them).

    What you are doing is arguing semantics to avoid the actual topic. How about you stop trying to hold up the dictionary as a shield and address the issues actually present with a practice incentivising throwing money at an unknown outcome.

    I don't even care if you call it gambling or not, the practice doesn't change. It doesn't become less bad if you start calling it "money-based-rng-lottery" or "loot box" or any other skirting of the meaning.
    Last edited by Delekii; 2022-07-03 at 05:02 AM.

  11. #2851
    The Lightbringer Battlebeard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    3,484
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    https://www.dictionary.com/browse/gamble

    So....no. It's not gambling BECAUSE THERE WAS NO EXCHANGE OF MONEY.

    "to stake or risk money, or anything of value, on the outcome of something involving chance:". Look at the definition. Read it nice and slow this time if you need to.
    I did, I looked at all definitions and you are wrong again, even by the things you linked.

    Multiple points speak of money OR other things of value. That includes anthing you value, beyond materialistic things. Your time is of value and is a stake hence I can gamble for free moneywise and just risk my time, still gambling. Dignity is also of value to many, you can bet your dignity as you might feel embarassed if you lose.

    You said it yourself, money OR other values, proving yourself you can gamble for free moneywise.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Delekii View Post
    Both are gambling; both are not equal. Again, to conflate the two is an intellectually dishonest endeavour.

    Everyone present in the conversation, including you, knows exactly what is meant in the context. What you are doing is like comparing stealing a base in baseball to stealing $1billion from the USA government. Both are stealing, but are in no way comparable.

    You can consider it gambling despite it being free because the crests have a value of sorts, in terms of what they potentially represent. But they have no true value beyond that (in the way that bought crests represent the money paid for them).

    What you are doing is arguing semantics to avoid the actual topic. How about you stop trying to hold up the dictionary as a shield and address the issues actually present with a practice incentivising throwing money at an unknown outcome.

    I don't even care if you call it gambling or not, the practice doesn't change. It doesn't become less bad if you start calling it "money-based-rng-lottery" or "loot box" or any other skirting of the meaning.
    I think gambling is fine. No one force you to do it and its quite frankly a very fun activity as well. Had some of the best days of my life in Vegas.

    I am upset this game get so much hate. It’s not really that much worse than most mobile games. Its more money but this game is also much much better and bigger and cost more to make than any mobile game released in the past, so its natural.

  12. #2852
    Quote Originally Posted by Battlebeard View Post
    I did, I looked at all definitions and you are wrong again, even by the things you linked.

    Multiple points speak of money OR other things of value. That includes anthing you value, beyond materialistic things. Your time is of value and is a stake hence I can gamble for free moneywise and just risk my time, still gambling. Dignity is also of value to many, you can bet your dignity as you might feel embarassed if you lose.

    You said it yourself, money OR other values, proving yourself you can gamble for free moneywise.

    - - - Updated - - -



    I think gambling is fine. No one force you to do it and its quite frankly a very fun activity as well. Had some of the best days of my life in Vegas.

    I am upset this game get so much hate. It’s not really that much worse than most mobile games. Its more money but this game is also much much better and bigger and cost more to make than any mobile game released in the past, so its natural.
    No I'm not wrong. What the actual fuck are you talking about? IF THE LOOTBOXES ARE FREE, THAT MEANS NOTHING OF VALUE WAS PUT AT STAKE AND THEREFORE ISN'T GAMBLING. Do you at least stretch before all this insane mental gymnastics? Saying time is something of value in relation to gambling is so fucking asinine. Same goes for dignity. You are literally trying to redefine the word gambling just because you refuse to admit you're wrong.

  13. #2853
    The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    DS9
    Posts
    20,146
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkeon View Post
    My Brother in Christ, know that He is judging you as hard as I am. Why not use "Usage of real-life money in exchange for a chance to win something"? Or, if you'd prefer the short term, gamble.
    I love those vague "for a chance" and "something". Definitions are on fire.
    It literally means that when you go to the shooting gallery at an amusement park - it's gambling. You pay for a chance to win something.

    Can you find a more precise definition? Maybe the one that narrows down that "something"? To something that is based on how much you paid and can give you your money back or MORE?

    It's like you don't know the difference between to gamble, a gamble, and gambling. All three mean different things, you semantical gymnasts.

    Jaywalking is a gamble. But you don't gamble by jaywalking and therefore it's not gambling.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2022 - that's two-zero-two-two, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of double-masked tripple-jabbed sissies who stand with Ukraine.

  14. #2854
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    No I'm not wrong. What the actual fuck are you talking about? IF THE LOOTBOXES ARE FREE, THAT MEANS NOTHING OF VALUE WAS PUT AT STAKE AND THEREFORE ISN'T GAMBLING. Do you at least stretch before all this insane mental gymnastics? Saying time is something of value in relation to gambling is so fucking asinine. Same goes for dignity. You are literally trying to redefine the word gambling just because you refuse to admit you're wrong.
    getting free lootboxes for a chance at an item = playing the game. Give up on this guy revenant... please. He's lost

  15. #2855
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    I love those vague "for a chance" and "something". Definitions are on fire.
    It literally means that when you go to the shooting gallery at an amusement park - it's gambling. You pay for a chance to win something.

    Can you find a more precise definition? Maybe the one that narrows down that "something"? To something that is based on how much you paid and can give you your money back or MORE?

    It's like you don't know the difference between to gamble, a gamble, and gambling. All three mean different things, you semantical gymnasts.

    Jaywalking is a gamble. But you don't gamble by jaywalking and therefore it's not gambling.
    Just because there are several degrees to gambling, it doesn't stop them from being gambling. Sorry, not sorry.

  16. #2856
    The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    DS9
    Posts
    20,146
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkeon View Post
    Just because there are several degrees to gambling, it doesn't stop them from being gambling. Sorry, not sorry.
    There are no degrees to gambling. Semantical difference based on context - are not degrees.

    The context in this thread leaves no room for semantics.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2022 - that's two-zero-two-two, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of double-masked tripple-jabbed sissies who stand with Ukraine.

  17. #2857
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    I love those vague "for a chance" and "something". Definitions are on fire.
    It literally means that when you go to the shooting gallery at an amusement park - it's gambling. You pay for a chance to win something.

    Can you find a more precise definition? Maybe the one that narrows down that "something"? To something that is based on how much you paid and can give you your money back or MORE?

    It's like you don't know the difference between to gamble, a gamble, and gambling. All three mean different things, you semantical gymnasts.

    Jaywalking is a gamble. But you don't gamble by jaywalking and therefore it's not gambling.
    That's the crux of your argument? That three different ways to say the same thing have three different meanings? That at least explains why this argument has been going on so long, we're discussing this in English, and you're discussing this in a language that you've entirely made up, that happens to look like English when written down.

    "I decided to gamble at my local casino. I knew it was a gamble, because there were rumours that it was crooked. But there's something about the thrill of gambling that wouldn't allow me to stop."

    There you go. Your three "different" definitions of variations of the word, all used in ways that clearly define them as meaning gambling. You don't get to redefine what words mean to suit your argument; sure, definitions can change over time, but that happens naturally as a result of a change in usage amongst a wide number of people in society. Until eventually words mean different things because society has changed them.

    It doesn't happen because one guy's decided he doesn't want to lose an argument on the internet.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

  18. #2858
    The comparison to a shooting gallery being a form of gambling is strange… the definition of gambling is not “everything where you’re not garanteed a certain outcome”.

    The definition of gambling is that the outcome is not skill based. With a shooting gallery it’s all up to your skill.

    This is why poker is such a headscratcher, legally speaking. Right on the edge.

  19. #2859
    Quote Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
    That's the crux of your argument? That three different ways to say the same thing have three different meanings? That at least explains why this argument has been going on so long, we're discussing this in English, and you're discussing this in a language that you've entirely made up, that happens to look like English when written down.

    "I decided to gamble at my local casino. I knew it was a gamble, because there were rumours that it was crooked. But there's something about the thrill of gambling that wouldn't allow me to stop."

    There you go. Your three "different" definitions of variations of the word, all used in ways that clearly define them as meaning gambling. You don't get to redefine what words mean to suit your argument; sure, definitions can change over time, but that happens naturally as a result of a change in usage amongst a wide number of people in society. Until eventually words mean different things because society has changed them.

    It doesn't happen because one guy's decided he doesn't want to lose an argument on the internet.
    Hes been going on for soon 150 pages and for the most part hes been hung up on the use of the word "gambling". Even though he most likely 100% knows what we are talking about, he is just derailing the thread. Hes been given X numbers of defintions of the word gambling and non of the suits him. So he keeps going. Most likely, he'll keep going until he has the last word. You are better off just ignoring it. We all know what DI is.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    I love those vague "for a chance" and "something". Definitions are on fire.
    It literally means that when you go to the shooting gallery at an amusement park - it's gambling. You pay for a chance to win something.

    Can you find a more precise definition? Maybe the one that narrows down that "something"? To something that is based on how much you paid and can give you your money back or MORE?

    It's like you don't know the difference between to gamble, a gamble, and gambling. All three mean different things, you semantical gymnasts.

    Jaywalking is a gamble. But you don't gamble by jaywalking and therefore it's not gambling.
    See. Now hes just making up things that makes no sense on the whim.

  20. #2860
    The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    DS9
    Posts
    20,146
    Quote Originally Posted by Veggie50 View Post
    The comparison to a shooting gallery being a form of gambling is strange… the definition of gambling is not “everything where you’re not garanteed a certain outcome”.

    The definition of gambling is that the outcome is not skill based. With a shooting gallery it’s all up to your skill.

    This is why poker is such a headscratcher, legally speaking. Right on the edge.
    But that's the definition people here are using. Their definition makes every game gambling. Including shooting gallery.

    While the requirements for something to be gambling are these:
    1. THE STAKE: You risk something of monetary value (money, car, etc - the other party must agree on value) by staking it on your success
    2. THE GAME: You play a game of chance or bet on the (uncertain) outcome of a skilled competition (horseracing, football, etc)
    3. THE RESULT: If you win you get your STAKE back or more (the goal of gambling), if you lose - you get LESS than your stake (the risk), including ZERO, heavy debt (NEGATIVE) and legs broken (if playing with naughty people).

    Clearly even lootboxes do not satisfy 1 and 3. A purchase is not a stake, and you are not getting it back even if you get the item you want. It's a purchase.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2022 - that's two-zero-two-two, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of double-masked tripple-jabbed sissies who stand with Ukraine.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •