1. #1941
    The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    DS9
    Posts
    20,151
    Quote Originally Posted by Guyviroth View Post
    Oh well. Give it another 16 years and every game will become an endless chore/grindfest that you'll have to pay more money than an actual AAA title's RRP to get anywhere in it.
    How is that different from pay $60 bucks and playing the game with little to none grindfest? Well, paying $60 upfront doesn't leave you any choice.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2022 - that's two-zero-two-two, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of double-masked tripple-jabbed sissies who stand with Ukraine.

  2. #1942
    Quote Originally Posted by Guyviroth View Post
    I remember 16 years ago when people lost their shit at Bethesda selling horse armor in Oblivion for $2.50. Now people are okay with buying items for more than that, that gives them a chance at getting an upgrade, because its "now normal", because its "a mobile game"... as though the platform the game is released on makes any semblance of difference.

    Oh well. Give it another 16 years and every game will become an endless chore/grindfest that you'll have to pay more money than an actual AAA title's RRP to get anywhere in it.
    I was naive like you...but i discovered why this type of games are popular after i played for the first time genshin impact.
    Let me explain:

    Dopamine hits with gambling
    Throwing real money at the game also produces dopamine as hell
    Gambling with real life money

    You might look at my list and think..."wtf is this? what are you talking about?"
    But long story short...is all about the dopamine hits and gambling with money.

    What am i trying to say?
    Im telling you WHY this "gacha" games are popular. Is because WASTING MONEY and GAMBLING is a feature for this crowd...and NOT a negative

  3. #1943
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    You don't need to make a game a grindfest just to make whales pay. Whales pay because they can, not because they need to. And if the game is a grindfest no one will play it even for free - and thus NO WHALES.
    Did I say anything about a grindfest? I said that the fact that the game is structured in a way that people can functionally spend endless money for endless power gain means that the game is measurably worse for people that don't.

    You can't realistically grind in DI as a free player or even a moderate spender. The ability to grind is an optical illusion. No ftp player will play the game long enough to make meaningful progression after a certain point, certainly not before that progression becomes defunct by the next release or season.
    Last edited by Delekii; 2022-06-11 at 04:04 PM.

  4. #1944
    The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    DS9
    Posts
    20,151
    Quote Originally Posted by Roanda View Post
    I was naive like you...but i discovered why this type of games are popular after i played for the first time genshin impact.
    Let me explain:

    Dopamine hits with gambling
    Throwing real money at the game also produces dopamine as hell
    Gambling with real life money

    You might look at my list and think..."wtf is this? what are you talking about?"
    But long story short...is all about the dopamine hits and gambling with money.

    What am i trying to say?
    Im telling you WHY this "gacha" games are popular. Is because WASTING MONEY and GAMBLING is a feature for this crowd...and NOT a negative
    It has nothing to do with dopamine.

    Introverts are not sensitive to dopamine - yet they are the most of gamers.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2022 - that's two-zero-two-two, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of double-masked tripple-jabbed sissies who stand with Ukraine.

  5. #1945
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    It has nothing to do with dopamine.

    Introverts are not sensitive to dopamine - yet they are the most of gamers.
    Nice try

    I have an entire group of friends addicted to gacha games.

    WE KNOW we are addicted to gacha...and the dopamine hits.
    We call it what it is. Dopamine Fridays on discord.

  6. #1946
    The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    DS9
    Posts
    20,151
    Quote Originally Posted by Delekii View Post
    Did I say anything about a grindfest? I said that the fact that the game is structured in a way that people can functionally spend endless money for endless power gain means that the game is measurably worse for people that don't.
    Did I say anything about you saying anything about a grindfest? Nope.
    Quote Originally Posted by Delekii View Post
    You can't realistically grind in DI as a free player or even a moderate spender.
    So... a grindfest?

    Hint: you can play DI without grinding and have fun.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Roanda View Post
    Nice try

    I have an entire group of friends addicted to gacha games.

    WE KNOW we are addicted to gacha...and the dopamine hits.
    We call it what it is. Dopamine Fridays on discord.
    I don't know what you are addicted to.
    Dopamine is irrelevant for introverts.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2022 - that's two-zero-two-two, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of double-masked tripple-jabbed sissies who stand with Ukraine.

  7. #1947
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    So... a grindfest?
    No, it has soft caps so you can't grind it.

  8. #1948
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    I don't know what you are addicted to.
    Dopamine is irrelevant for introverts.
    Brother...stop.
    Everyone feels dopamine.

    Dopamine is not irrelevant to anyone.
    You are literally a sick person if you dont feel/have dopamine.

    I know this better than anyone else on this entire forum. So please dont speak of things you dont know...

  9. #1949
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Did I say anything about you saying anything about a grindfest? Nope.

    So... a grindfest?

    Hint: you can play DI without grinding and have fun.
    You can play chess without trying to catch the enemy king... You're just not really playing chess anymore.

  10. #1950
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    How is that different from pay $60 bucks and playing the game with little to none grindfest? Well, paying $60 upfront doesn't leave you any choice.
    Because when I pay $60 for a game, the buck stops there. I now have a game which I can play, which I can enjoy, without design and balance philosophy getting in the way.

    I'm not sure how experienced you are with various mobile titles, but I have played a lot. And I mean A LOT of them. Most of them boil down to a number of the same balancing and design bullshit:

    -- Stupid high difficulty curve leads you to a brick wall where the only meaningful way of getting past it is to have a stringer team/units etc... which takes forever to farm because of low drop rates on upgrades etc. But you can pay to get guaranteed power.
    -- Stupid stamina systems where every activity in the game chunks it away to the point you end up playing the game for about 5 minutes, then you have to wait several hours. But you can pay money to get that stamina back.
    -- Timegates of hours, even days, to build something. Also you can only build two or three things at a time. But you can pay to bypass all of this.

    So at this point, the game isn't fun. It's annoying and frustrating. It becomes a chore. It purposefully plays on the player's frustrations, addictions, etc to bait them into spending money.

    So, some people might think, "oh, you've played so many mobile titles but you bitch about them, I bet you spent money." Well I will say this much:

    -- Yes I have played many. I've also uninstalled many after the wonderful honeymoon period where these games will give you a shit ton of stuff as a new player, and then two weeks later it all runs out and you feel how much of a slog the game really is. This is what I usually do, because most of these types of games are egregious as all fuck.
    -- No, I have not spend money on a mobile game, because what's the point? If the game stonewalls me for a stupidly long time unless I pay real money, its uninstalled and i go play something fun. If it doesn't stonewall me, then I continue playing normally.
    -- Yes, I will continue to batch about these games because they're designed specifically to con people out of every last penny.

    Having said that, I will also admit that, yes, I have found F2P games that are actually fun IMO that you don't need to pay a penny for it to be rewarding. Two of those are Dissidia Final Fantasy Opera Omnia, and Dragonball Legends. Those two I still play regularly, have not spent a dime on, and I can do most, if not all, of their content.

  11. #1951
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    It has nothing to do with dopamine.

    Introverts are not sensitive to dopamine - yet they are the most of gamers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    I don't know what you are addicted to.
    Dopamine is irrelevant for introverts.
    This has to be the dumbest tangent yet, just stop.

    Studies show they may be less sensitive to this kind of stimuli, but that hardly means they are immune, it's basic brain chemistry. And you even admitted yourself, this defense doesn't apply to everyone.

    What are your sources on most gamers being introverts? I can link you to the ipsos marketing research showing gamers are more social and more active than non-gamers. More than 75% play games with other people online or in person.
    (This signature was clearly too awesome for the Avatar & Signature Guidelines and was removed to prevent further facemelting)

  12. #1952
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerot View Post
    This has to be the dumbest tangent yet, just stop.

    Studies show they may be less sensitive to this kind of stimuli, but that hardly means they are immune, it's basic brain chemistry. And you even admitted yourself, this defense doesn't apply to everyone.

    What are your sources on most gamers being introverts? I can link you to the ipsos marketing research showing gamers are more social and more active than non-gamers. More than 75% play games with other people online or in person.
    Gambling with real life money is a feature and not a negative for a specific crowd of players.
    Not many people are talking about this...but is the reality for gacha gamers.

    In regards to the dopamine thing.
    I suffer from a disease that creates too much dopamine (paranoid schizophrenia) and the opposite disease is called parkinson's disease (too low dopamine)
    Everyone needs and feels dopamine to live a normal life.
    I know a lot about this topic because i literally struggle with it a lot

  13. #1953
    The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    DS9
    Posts
    20,151
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    No, it has soft caps so you can't grind it.
    a soft cap means it gets grindier, meaning that you can still grind it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Roanda View Post
    Brother...stop.
    Everyone feels dopamine.
    I didn't say otherwise.
    Introverts are overwhelmed by dopamine and shutdown when it's too much - it cannot trigger any addiction - quite the opposite - AVERSION.

    Quote Originally Posted by Delekii View Post
    You can play chess without trying to catch the enemy king... You're just not really playing chess anymore.
    The goal of chess though is to get the king. The goal of diablo is not to get 5-star gems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guyviroth View Post
    Because when I pay $60 for a game, the buck stops there.
    First of all, no, it doesn't stop there.
    Secondly and lastly, in f2p games YOU decide where the buck stops.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerot View Post
    Studies show they may be less sensitive to this kind of stimuli, but that hardly means they are immune, it's basic brain chemistry. And you even admitted yourself, this defense doesn't apply to everyone.

    What are your sources on most gamers being introverts? I can link you to the ipsos marketing research showing gamers are more social and more active than non-gamers. More than 75% play games with other people online or in person.
    They are more social online, yes, exactly because they are introverts.
    Also introvert doesn't mean asocial. You are confusing introversion with shyness. A rookie mistake.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2022 - that's two-zero-two-two, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of double-masked tripple-jabbed sissies who stand with Ukraine.

  14. #1954
    Quote Originally Posted by Guyviroth View Post
    Oh well. Give it another 16 years and every game will become an endless chore/grindfest that you'll have to pay more money than an actual AAA title's RRP to get anywhere in it.
    The weird thing is that MMOs have been doing this for a while now, but it seems like no one really noticed.

    MTX gets all the publicity and outrage, so people rail against that. But MMOs just keep flying under the radar when it comes to "games that are designed to be grindfests and timesinks while charging you to keep playing".

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Roanda View Post
    Gambling with real life money is a feature and not a negative for a specific crowd of players.
    Not many people are talking about this...but is the reality for gacha gamers.
    Indeed, it's a form of entertainment for them.

    And just because casinos exist, it doesn't mean that...um, I don't know...water parks will stop existing.

  15. #1955
    The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    DS9
    Posts
    20,151
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost of Cow View Post
    Indeed, it's a form of entertainment for them.

    And just because casinos exist, it doesn't mean that...um, I don't know...water parks will stop existing.
    Water addiction is a serious issue though. Every single human is hooked up and there's no solution - other than water itself.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2022 - that's two-zero-two-two, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of double-masked tripple-jabbed sissies who stand with Ukraine.

  16. #1956
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    First of all, no, it doesn't stop there.
    Secondly and lastly, in f2p games YOU decide where the buck stops.
    Oh? Are you certain about that? Because when I bought MGS V, I paid for the game and no more. When I bought Pokemon Legends Arceus, the same thing happened. And again with Diablo 3. And again with Resident evil 2 and 3. You get the idea.

    But you're more than welcome to list some $60 games where the buck doesn't stop. I shall wait patiently.

  17. #1957
    The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    DS9
    Posts
    20,151
    Quote Originally Posted by Guyviroth View Post
    Oh? Are you certain about that? Because when I bought MGS V, I paid for the game and no more. When I bought Pokemon Legends Arceus, the same thing happened. And again with Diablo 3. And again with Resident evil 2 and 3. You get the idea.

    But you're more than welcome to list some $60 games where the buck doesn't stop. I shall wait patiently.
    You didn't buy d3 expansions? Wow, well you chose to stop the buck there.
    And for an example of never stopping buck: WOW
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2022 - that's two-zero-two-two, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of double-masked tripple-jabbed sissies who stand with Ukraine.

  18. #1958
    Quote Originally Posted by Guyviroth View Post
    But you're more than welcome to list some $60 games where the buck doesn't stop. I shall wait patiently.
    Every WoW expansion!

    MMOs aside, c'mon, you know there are B2P games with DLC and other continuing purchases. Don't make us go drag a list off Steam or something.

  19. #1959
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    I didn't say otherwise.
    Introverts are overwhelmed by dopamine and shutdown when it's too much - it cannot trigger any addiction - quite the opposite - AVERSION.
    You are saying dopamine is not addictive. Ever heard of cocaine? Thats dopamine drug sold out there. Not addictive? humm?
    Fun fact, you cant feel an orgasm if you cant feel dopamine.

    Please...just stop pretending you know about this topic.

    I know all about it because i suffer from it a lot
    Ill just stop replying to you...even if you reply back...this is just sad

  20. #1960
    The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    DS9
    Posts
    20,151
    Quote Originally Posted by Roanda View Post
    You are saying dopamine is not addictive. Ever heard of cocaine? Thats dopamine drug sold out there. Not addictive? humm?
    Cocaine is not dopamine

    Dopamine is not addictive - because it's endogenic. just like endorphins (which is endogenic morphine)

    Drugs like cocaine subvert the dopamine path - replacing it in a different way to which you get addicted.

    Again, if you claim that f2p trigger dopamine addiction - then introverts are super safe. Because too much dopamine for them is PAIN.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2022 - that's two-zero-two-two, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of double-masked tripple-jabbed sissies who stand with Ukraine.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •