Quote Originally Posted by Ghost of Cow View Post
    I don't give Bobby any money, though. Because somehow I manage to be a mature adult who can make decisions.

That seems to be difficult for all the "completionists" and such to come to grips with, though.
    who are you to judge how people spend their time and money if it isn't hurting anything?

it's really incredible how all the responsibility is never put onto the one's who have a moneyed interest in exploiting people and is instead put onto the exploited.

I guess if someone sold your dad a car with a flaw that caused it to explode with him in it you'd pin that on your dad, right?

Quote Originally Posted by uuuhname View Post
    you know what's cute?

that snide little comment Mona Lisa made about how this topic highlights how people don't understand how mobile gaming works.

you know who else doesn't understand how mobile gaming works? children.

children who we don't allow to smoke cigarettes, drink alcohol, or gamble. but suddenly! suddenly, when you put one of those things into a video game designed to milk you for all of your money, all moral or ethical quandaries just melt away, FOR SOME ODD REASON.

Children shouldn't be playing Diablo Immortal in the first place....it's effectively an M rated game very violent very dark you'd have a point with the little toy Warcraft game but realistically No

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterymask View Post
    Children shouldn't be playing Diablo Immortal in the first place....it's effectively an M rated game very violent very dark you'd have a point with the little toy Warcraft game but realistically No
    uuuuh tell that to the people who grew up playing diablo when they were 8 and want their kids to share that experience. granted I bet those people aren't buying this.

who are you to judge how people spend their time and money if it isn't hurting anything?
    Oh the irony here. Ohhh myyyy.

it's really incredible how all the responsibility is never put onto the one's who have a moneyed interest in exploiting people and is instead put onto the exploited.
    You're right. When Pope Francis said that Russian attacking Ukraine might have been caused by "Nato barking on Russia's door" various media made a huge fuss about it (which was far more serious about current topic and obviously media & people were right about the outrage). However when it comes to companies exploiting other people for money nobody blinks an eye.

Quote Originally Posted by Vasilisa View Post
    You're right. When Pope Francis said that Russian attacking Ukraine might have been caused by "Nato barking on Russia's door" various media made a huge fuss about it (which was far more serious about current topic and obviously media & people were right about the outrage). However when it comes to companies exploiting other people for money nobody blinks an eye.
    Maybe because most people out there in the real world don't consider a video game that no one has to play and doesn't cost a dime to be "exploiting" anyone.

Imagine being SO first-world that this is your bar for "exploitation".

Wow the mob is really turning to the "please think of the children" argument? When did simpsons start becoming reality?

Parents should take responsibility for their own children. Don't give them unfettered access to a credit card because they have terrible impulse control in general.

Quote Originally Posted by everydaygamer View Post
    Wow the mob is really turning to the "please think of the children" argument? When did simpsons start becoming reality?

Parents should take responsibility for their own children. Don't give them unfettered access to a credit card because they have terrible impulse control in general.
    Parents should also not allow children to have access to guns, yet it happens. But this doesn't apply to children only. You can say that if you can't control itself, then you should seek medical help. However mobile games tend to have very small, cheap packages which you can buy over and over and over again. You don't "feel", that you've spent a big portion of your paycheck. Plus D:I makes it feel that the purchases are necessary. That's why the word "predatory" appeared quite a few times during this discussion.

I just love the idea that all it takes is "willpower" to defeat the billions of dollars spent on psychological research in how to exploit our primitive lizard brains
    A better way to think about Casual v Hardcore: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...asual-Hardcore

You can say that if you can't control itself, then you should seek medical help.
    Well, if they really, truly cannot stop themselves from a certain activity that's harmful, perhaps they should. I can't be the judge of that, though.

However mobile games tend to have very small, cheap packages which you can buy over and over and over again. You don't "feel", that you've spent a big portion of your paycheck. Plus D:I makes it feel that the purchases are necessary. That's why the word "predatory" appeared quite a few times during this discussion.
    Then they need that aforementioned help, or just need to manage their money better. No one is out there calling big screen TV's "predatory", but I bet more poor people have one of those than have a 5-star gem in D:I.

uuuuh tell that to the people who grew up playing diablo when they were 8 and want their kids to share that experience. granted I bet those people aren't buying this.
    Probably not cause those people are on this forum bitching up a storm or those kids already tried Diablo 3 and either still playing that or got bored and played something else.
    I

Quote Originally Posted by Tyris Flare View Post
    I just love the idea that all it takes is "willpower" to defeat the billions of dollars spent on psychological research in how to exploit our primitive lizard brains
    Oh, please.

Just don't spend money. How hard is that? You don't need to be some paragon of willpower. To suggest otherwise makes it seem like maybe you do have a problem.

The Unstoppable Force RobertoCarlos's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Bobby's gonna have to start paying you guys for real. What day we on now with people defending one of the worst f2p models in recent history with a beloved once respected ip
    Suri Cruise and Katie Holmes are SP's.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Bobby's gonna have to start paying you guys for real. What day we on now with people defending one of the worst f2p models in recent history with a beloved once respected ip
    They do it F2P style. It's that hilarious.

Oh, please.

Just don't spend money. How hard is that? You don't need to be some paragon of willpower. To suggest otherwise makes it seem like maybe you do have a problem.
    Don't drink, don't do drugs, don't smoke, don't spend money, don't hit other people when angry, don't start wars.... It's good that you don't have problems with that but some people do, quite a lot actually. And merciless companies are praying on them. They want players to become addicted (to some degree, we obviously can't compare this to a drug addict) and keep spending forever. Blizzard became such company, which shouldn't be a surprise. After all fish starts rotting from the head.

The Unstoppable Force RobertoCarlos's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkeon View Post
    They do it F2P style. It's that hilarious.
    Yeah man they do it for the self satisfaction they are keeping the video game industry healthy and not at all exploited by multi billion dollar corporations utilizing the latest and greatest unethical psychology gimmicks
    Suri Cruise and Katie Holmes are SP's.

Don't drink, don't do drugs, don't smoke, don't spend money, don't hit other people when angry
    Ok? Yes, don't do those things. What do you want me to say, that because people do dumb things we need to get rid of a video game?

Should we just get rid of everything that people might foolishly waste money on? Water and vegetables only from now on?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    But why do you think that's immoral? Non-paying gamers are fortunate to get anything over any time period...

As far as the money I don't think you should be able to beat the game with $110k or $110 billion because the game system should be designed with the potential for infinite progression, imo.
    "Poor people should be thankful they get anything at all" Certainly a stellar position.

Yes, these games are designed for infinite progression because they want to infinitely milk money from the whales. All of the gear that has been bought now will probably be outdated in a year, and there will be easier ways to get the current gear, while new gear is introduced for payers. People are literally throwing their money at an infinite progression system, where everything they buy will be shit in a few months, and I sit here and all I think is "A fool and his money are soon parted" or as Asmongold calls it, the "stupidity tax".

I miss the days when you paid for a game and you got the whole game, no gimmicks. Why is everyone trying to shove their need for validation into video games? Because they can't just play a game for the game's sake, but they have to show off that they have a ton of money to other people? The indie gaming sphere needs to kick it up a notch, because they seem like one of the few bastions left not trying to monetize the shit out of everything.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Oh, please.

If human psychology worked that way, a lot of companies would be poor that aren't!

I mean it's almost a tautology. If it was that easy for people to not do X, they wouldn't do it. Instead X (insert whatever you like) is a big problem that needs some form of regulation.
    A better way to think about Casual v Hardcore: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...asual-Hardcore

Quote Originally Posted by Tyris Flare View Post
    If human psychology worked that way, a lot of companies would be poor that aren't.
    Perhaps, but what do you want me to do about people who do dumb things? Just ban everything?

People who spend money on dumb things beyond their means will spend it on anything. The rest of us can't help that.