Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Yeah I don't get this obsession some people have with meritocracy in gaming. It's entertainment, not a sport. Maybe because we grew up on different games.
    You dont get the obsession with games being competitive so that people can judge relative skill??

What is there to get? It speaks for itself. The entertainment comes from comparing yourself to others, knowing that they have access to the same things you have and comparing on equal footing.

When you can buy ranking, skill is functionally meaningless, as is comparison in any way. You claim you've been "able to compete" but it's simply not the case; you're not on the leaderboard, and even if you are you have no indication of how pay to win or not the people around you are. Even the people like wujido who play endlessly and actually are "keeping up" to any kind of degree are absolutely nowhere near keeping up with the actual whales. He has no idea of which of the people he is competing against has bought their skill or not; no idea if he is actually competitive or not. Just feelings (which in many people lead to "these people are all paying, guess I have to pay if I want to compete").

It's kind of amazing you can make the argument that comparison is meaningless, except when it comes to whales, where comparison is mandatory so that they feel compelled to spend money.

To be clear, by "you" I mean the collective, not you specifically.

The likelihood for people to compare themselves to others is even larger today than ever before, where people will constantly compare themselves to whatever online personality they happen to watch.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Or maybe some people got used to video gaming actually being a product you brought outright and it wasnt a live service that also acted as a gambling vice.

Maybe.

But anyway you seem to have an agenda on this, so tell it to someone who still gives a shit and doesnt see past your fake shit for what it is.
    Videogames used to be an artform, where creation of a great game was the goal and monitizing it was important but not at the expense of utterly undermining the product. That is very different from DI, where videogames are a platform toward extracting money from individuals to companies and not entities in their own right.

Quote Originally Posted by Delekii View Post
    You dont get the obsession with games being competitive so that people can judge relative skill??

What is there to get? It speaks for itself. The entertainment comes from comparing yourself to others, knowing that they have access to the same things you have and comparing on equal footing.

When you can buy ranking, skill is functionally meaningless, as is comparison in any way. You claim you've been "able to compete" but it's simply not the case; you're not on the leaderboard, and even if you are you have no indication of how pay to win or not the people around you are. Even the people like wujido who play endlessly and actually are "keeping up" to any kind of degree are absolutely nowhere near keeping up with the actual whales. He has no idea of which of the people he is competing against has bought their skill or not; no idea if he is actually competitive or not. Just feelings (which in many people lead to "these people are all paying, guess I have to pay if I want to compete").

It's kind of amazing you can make the argument that comparison is meaningless, except when it comes to whales, where comparison is mandatory so that they feel compelled to spend money.

To be clear, by "you" I mean the collective, not you specifically.

The likelihood for people to compare themselves to others is even larger today than ever before, where people will constantly compare themselves to whatever online personality they happen to watch.

- - - Updated - - -

Videogames used to be an artform, where creation of a great game was the goal and monitizing it was important but not at the expense of utterly undermining the product. That is very different from DI, where videogames are a platform toward extracting money from individuals to companies and not entities in their own right.
    Agreed. I'm not against them making money. But the product should speak for itself. Diablo 1 and 2, never struggled to sell copies and made more than a generous profit before we started getting the real money auction house in D3 and now whatever the fuck you call Diablo Immortal.

10+ Year Old Account
    B-but... its 800% value g-guys...!

I mean you cannot have possibly completed the sets for any builds since set rings only drop at Hell IV.
    Well @RobertoCarlos must at least have all the bits he can collect if he has hit a wall where he needs to start paying.

Yeah I don't get this obsession some people have with meritocracy in gaming. It's entertainment, not a sport. Maybe because we grew up on different games.
    Wait what? The game literally has leaderboards in which you compete with other players from which you get better rewards and gain access to special areas of the game (like becoming an immortal).
    And your success in these parts of the game is most definitely not determined by your skill, until you spend as much as possible. Take for example a f2p guy having the stats on items increased by 15-20% competing against a whale that spent a few grand and has an increase of 150-200% ... small difference right? And the outcome of these 2 players certainly will come from skill.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoibert the Bear View Post
    B-but... its 800% value g-guys...!
    And free refills

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kranur View Post
    Wait what? The game literally has leaderboards in which you compete with other players.
    Sure, but why are you obsessed with being at the top?
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    And free refills

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah being at the top is the same as being competitive. 0 attempt at honest conversations

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    And free refills

- - - Updated - - -

Can you be more of a whale sucker? Good for you if you enjoy getting screwed in the ass.

--

Your comments are basically "P2W good, F2P or non-massive spenders can just run in circles in town."
    Last edited by kranur; 2022-06-21 at 09:46 AM.

Wait what? The game literally has leaderboards in which you compete with other players from which you get better rewards and gain access to special areas of the game (like becoming an immortal).
    And your success in these parts of the game is most definitely not determined by your skill, until you spend as much as possible. Take for example a f2p guy having the stats on items increased by 15-20% competing against a whale that spent a few grand and has an increase of 150-200% ... small difference right? And the outcome of these 2 players certainly will come from skill.
    I am just saying that games don't need to be played competitive. But competition does not define games which is the point that was made.

Also while you probably cannot top the leaderboards without paying, you definitely can do well on them. I was top 20 on Demon Hunters for my server on Challenge Rifts yesterday and the second best Dark Clan that became immortals in our server has very few whales (like 2-3); while you need whales to win in the Rite, you need people who play a lot for your clans to rank. Heck I also seem to win the trophy on Lassal runs so you can be a whale but good luck if you can't play or build poorly.
    Last edited by Nymrohd; 2022-06-21 at 09:52 AM.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Can you be more of a whale sucker? Good for you if you enjoy getting screwed in the ass.
    How much money would it take for you to suck someone else's cock? Think seriously about this. I'm pretty sure you will suck a cock for a grand.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

15+ Year Old Account

Title is clickbaity admittedly but the meat of the video is just hilarious. Official Blizzard Diablo account trying to claim this game is not pay to win and just claiming payers simply go "slightly" faster.

LMAO

The Diablo team keeps digging their hole deeper and deeper. I get the impression they're trying to normalize this dumb shit by pretending it's normal and all it's doing is alienating long time fans.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu 2020 View Post

The Diablo team keeps digging their hole deeper and deeper. I get the impression they're trying to normalize this dumb shit by pretending it's normal and all it's doing is alienating long time fans.
    Do you really think they care about long time fans of Diablo that much when it comes to DI?

Quote Originally Posted by Popastique View Post
    Do you really think they care about long time fans of Diablo that much when it comes to DI?
    Given some of the nostalgia-bombs and lore moments they put in the game, yeah.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't get the hate. I love this game, one of the best I've played in years. I just bought the Battlepass, that's it, loving every minute of the rest of the game free. And I'm far over 100 hours in.

10+ Year Old Account
    - Why r u dont play diablo immoral?
    - Well, I'm a millioner. But I'm not rich enough to play into this free game :'(

Is this game dead?
    I cannot find anyone do the easiest raid.

The twitch only has 3000 total viewers.

Anyone here spend lots of money and regret now?

Quote Originally Posted by Battlebeard View Post
    I don't get the hate. I love this game, one of the best I've played in years. I just bought the Battlepass, that's it, loving every minute of the rest of the game free. And I'm far over 100 hours in.
    Have you found the Battlepass worth it? I've played enough that I wouldn't mind dropping some cash but with the speed my free battle pass goes up I don't think paying extra will offer much value. I think I'd do better buying the cheaper bundles instead.

Quote Originally Posted by xenogear3 View Post
    Is this game dead?
    I cannot find anyone do the easiest raid.

The twitch only has 3000 total viewers.

Anyone here spend lots of money and regret now?
    I guess we are all doing Lassal 2 or 3 by now? That said, I do think they launched with far too many servers. I am sure there will be servers without even 10 Dark Clans to qualify for the War.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    Have you found the Battlepass worth it? I've played enough that I wouldn't mind dropping some cash but with the speed my free battle pass goes up I don't think paying extra will offer much value. I think I'd do better buying the cheaper bundles instead.
    I wanted that transmog set, absolutely worth it!

I guess we are all doing Lassal 2 or 3 by now? That said, I do think they launched with far too many servers. I am sure there will be servers without even 10 Dark Clans to qualify for the War.
    I must be on a dead server.

This is how the Gacha games are designed.
    It intentionally creates lots and lots of servers.
    Some people can spend only $1000 on a dead server and be #1.
    If you are on a famous streamer's server, $1000000 is not enough.