Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    woooooooooosh
    What's your argument? You think civilization can't fix things over time and thus it is doomed in the future?

That would be total nonsense.

That really did fly way over your head.

Quote Originally Posted by Ettan View Post
    Idk about that sounds like bs, but I know lead is a thing.
    Modern humans have about 1000x more lead in them than pre industrial humans.

https://youtu.be/IV3dnLzthDA?t=958

But still IQ generally trends upwards over time, as we build on the knowledge and methods of those who came befoure us, learning improves ect.
    Still average iq is by definition always 100, over time tests are revised to be harder and harder; to compensate.
    Not drastically so but in slight incriments; by 1910's standard modern humans average is 130 IQ.
    No that's not how this works

What you're describing is the Flynn Effect; A raise in IQ over time despite a decline in psychometric g. When you adjust for the FE, you see for a good hundred-hundred and fifty years intelligence has been in decline. IQ is not a measure of stored knowledge, but the two somewhat correlate afaik. It's estimated that g is like 80% heritable so maybe lead has an effect but I doubt it being that severe on an individual level before a point.

People who have become convinced they have the one true answer and seal themselves off from anyone saying otherwise (as our brains are chemically incentivized to do) gradually circlejerk themselves off of their own ideas until they become so distanced from reality they seem absolutely clinically insane.

After all, why bother getting a plane ticket to the "edge of the earth" when your friends have told you that the plane industry is ALSO in on the conspiracy? Why bother getting a job at NASA and flying to the moon to see it from space if you know NASA is ALSO in on the conspiracy and will secretly add screens to the ship that show doctored images?

They'll latch onto anything, and make up any excuse out of whole cloth, no matter how ridiculous, as long as other people also believe in it. It's logical fallacies, like most things that make humans behave bizarrely.

It's more common than you'd think, I was raised the first 18 or so years of my life to believe that everyone who believed things contrary to what our group's leaders told us were secretly and invisibly puppeted by an evil mastermind who could infiltrate our minds and plant seditious thoughts into them without us even noticing!
    Last edited by Powerogue; 2022-06-28 at 03:05 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.