Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Louie Gohmert: It’s Unfair That Republicans ‘Can’t Even Lie to Congress’ or the FBI!

https://www.thedailybeast.com/louie-...a=twitter_page

Rep. Louie Gohmert (R-TX), a man who once blamed masks for his COVID diagnosis and wondered if the National Forest Service was altering the moon’s orbit, was back at it on Friday. After defending his over-the-top outburst at Thursday’s gun control House hearing, the election-denying MAGA congressman took to Newsmax to react to former Trump adviser Peter Navarro’s indictment for criminal contempt of Congress. Navarro was taken into custody by federal agents on Friday morning and accused of refusing to comply “in any way” with a subpoena issued by the Jan. 6 House committee. According to Gohmert, this was proof of a “two-tiered justice system” because it means Republicans can’t flout the law. “If you’re a Republican, you can’t even lie to Congress or lie to an FBI agent or they’re coming after you,” the MAGA lawmaker actually said. Adding that “they’ll bury you,” Gohmert—a vocal proponent of former President Donald Trump’s election lies—went on to complain that Clinton campaign lawyer Michael Sussmann was recently found not guilty of lying to the FBI.

https://twitter.com/JasonSCampbell/s...76813692342272 (video)
    Well I hope that nobody should be allowed to legally lie to Congress or the FBI during legal investigations, especially members of Congress that are elected officials.

Now he went to go on to claim that "they" would "put you in the DC jail and terrorize and torture you" which, while a potentially relevant critique on our penal system and the need for criminal justice reform, seems more like the ongoing conservative fantasies about how they're actually the real victims.

Bonus points: He complained about the verdict in the Sussman trial and blamed the jury because the FBI case against Sussman relied entirely on an agent saying, "Trust me, bro." and no further evidence.

Faschies should be getting bashies more often.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    There are a handful of politicians who I feel play up their dumb fuckery to appeal to their base, or try and pull some Boris Jonson type strategy where they weaponize stupid gaffs to distract from actual scandals.

And then there are these absolutely stupid motherfuckers who failed upwards all their life and found themselves in positions of power by people somehow more brick headed than they are.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not shocking from a member of the party that graced the world with the term "perjury trap" after it had been dead and buried for decades
    "Law and Order", lots of places have had that, Russia, North Korea, Saddam's Iraq.
    Laws can be made to enforce order of cruelty and brutality.
    Equality and Justice, that is how you have peace and a society that benefits all.

Herald of the Titans Pterodactylus's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    The republican party is just a shell of the great party it once was.
    “You know, it really doesn’t matter what the media write as long as you’ve got a young, and beautiful, piece of ass." - President Donald Trump

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    "If you're a Republican"? I suppose the implication is that Democrats can do it as and when they want and get away with it?
    It depends on what your definition of "is" is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not only should you not be allowed to lie to Congress/the FBI, doing so should be a crime, and being charged with a crime while in office should immediately remove you from office permanently and force a special by-election to be called to replace you.

You can run again in the next election proper if you're cleared and still free to do so. Otherwise, get fucked.

And before anyone calls that unrealistic or impossible, it's literally how we do things in Canada.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyonai View Post
    There are a handful of politicians who I feel play up their dumb fuckery to appeal to their base, or try and pull some Boris Jonson type strategy where they weaponize stupid gaffs to distract from actual scandals.

And then there are these absolutely stupid motherfuckers who failed upwards all their life and found themselves in positions of power by people somehow more brick headed than they are.
    Yeah I'm fairly certain that Gohmert is legitimately a dumbfuck.

This is the same idiot who asked the national forest service if the moon's orbit could be altered.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lobosan View Post
    That's idiotic. If you could be removed from office simply for being charged, police would charge politicians all the time as a form of political payback. A person should have to be convicted before getting removed from office.
    Look, if your police are that wildly corrupt, you've got deeper problems than a failing democracy.

Like I said; this is how it's been in Canada for decades, and there hasn't been a single real issue with the process. And in return, we don't have criminal politicians skating by on technicalities while staying in office, unlike the USA has had consistently for decades now.

Best part is them crying about being put in shackles....

while for decades having no problems seeing petty minority criminals put in shackles and some of the worst humane conditions because of petty crimes.

Funny that now it's a "horror"
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Not only should you not be allowed to lie to Congress/the FBI, doing so should be a crime, and being charged with a crime while in office should immediately remove you from office permanently and force a special by-election to be called to replace you.

You can run again in the next election proper if you're cleared and still free to do so. Otherwise, get fucked.

And before anyone calls that unrealistic or impossible, it's literally how we do things in Canada.
    Umm... I don't believe that is in any way accurate. Checking Library of Parliament suggests that there is a Senate procedure to temporarily suspend a member indicted on a crime, and there is an automatic removal if sentenced to jail for 2+ years, but that's it. It is more tradition that politicians step away or resign when facing serious charges.

Once, just once, I would love to have the movie Liar Liar come true as far as politicians go and ask them what they really think about various things and record it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Had to see the video for myself.
    Me too buddy, me too. I thought that can't be right it must be a misquote or something. But it's real smh

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    "If you're a Republican"? I suppose the implication is that Democrats can do it as and when they want and get away with it?

And this comes after his last little fit over guns just a day or two ago lol I sure do love the fragility of Republicans.
    Well, they are conservatives and facists.

They lie through their asses to keep and get power, and assume everyone else does as well.
    - Lars

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynarii View Post
    Umm... I don't believe that is in any way accurate. Checking Library of Parliament suggests that there is a Senate procedure to temporarily suspend a member indicted on a crime, and there is an automatic removal if sentenced to jail for 2+ years, but that's it. It is more tradition that politicians step away or resign when facing serious charges.
    He said "should" not "is"

When were they a "great" party? Genuinely curious, because I'm not sure I'm old enough for it to have been the case at any point in my life.
    Ike did a pretty good job mostly. Before him the GOP were putting some pretty corrupt shitheads who set the stage for the Great Depression and then proceeded to make that worse. Before those guys there was Rooseveldt. So 2/10 GOP Presidents since 1900 were worth the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    Ike did a pretty good job mostly. Before him the GOP were putting some pretty corrupt shitheads who set the stage for the Great Depression and then proceeded to make that worse. Before those guys there was Rooseveldt. So 2/10 GOP Presidents since 1900 were worth the time.
    And...Lincoln.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    And...Lincoln.
    but they cheer the CSA he fought against and was killed by
    "Law and Order", lots of places have had that, Russia, North Korea, Saddam's Iraq.
    Laws can be made to enforce order of cruelty and brutality.
    Equality and Justice, that is how you have peace and a society that benefits all.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lobosan View Post
    That's idiotic. If you could be removed from office simply for being charged, police would charge politicians all the time as a form of political payback. A person should have to be convicted before getting removed from office.
    accuse =/= charge fyi. Charges require some sort of evidence.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

As usual when Republican project on AOC, they are telling on ALL the idiots in the House. I'm just talking about the House of Representatives, not including Congress here. Gohmert has held this for many years as an old as eff Congress person. He has competition in MTG, Boebert, etc.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!