Poll: What addon manager do you use?

Thread: Addon Managers

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Addon Managers

Hello MMO-C guys,

I would like to know your experience with addon managers. If you use any manager, please share which one and why.

I have been using ajour for a while but it's not working anymore and now I am looking for something else.

Thank you for your answers and hopefuly more people will find this thread useful.

WoWUp which I'll continue to use and support but the CurseForge changes have really gutted it - suspect it's the same for the others

7+ Year Old Account
    i am back at using curseforge since you can use it without overwolf now

I use CurseForge (with Overwolf), which isn't a poll answer, so I selected Other. I was on Cursebreaker for a while but switched back after I broke free of the Overwolf fearmongering.

For future reference, Overwolf owns CurseForge but Overwolf the program does nothing with addons.
    Originally Posted by Zarhym (Blue Tracker)
    this thread is a waste of internet

15+ Year Old Account
    CurseForge

Quote Originally Posted by Antontein View Post
    Hello MMO-C guys,

I would like to know your experience with addon managers. If you use any manager, please share which one and why.

I have been using ajour for a while but it's not working anymore and now I am looking for something else.

Thank you for your answers and hopefuly more people will find this thread useful.
    Why did you leave out Curseforge (non-Overwolf version)? And "Overwolf" isn't an addon manager either.

Anyways, I use Curseforge. It's simply the best addon manager by far, just due to the fact that the vast majority of addons are on Curse and the vast majority of Addon devs support them. It's really not even a competition at this point anymore (not saying this is good or bad).

I was on WoWUp before, but since Curse isn't supported anymore, I have deleted it. Also they began putting in ads, which was the very reason why people were hating on Curse to begin with.
    Last edited by RobertMugabe; 2022-06-06 at 04:11 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have tried everything, and Ajour was by far my favourite addon management client. Super lightweight and simple, but good settings to handle and display everything how I wanted.

However, it no longer is able to update a good chunk of addons so I'm reluctantly using curseforge now.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    I have tried everything, and Ajour was by far my favourite addon management client. Super lightweight and simple, but good settings to handle and display everything how I wanted.

However, it no longer is able to update a good chunk of addons so I'm reluctantly using curseforge now.
    I loved Ajour as well. Was such a simple & fast update manager. (The way they should all be). It worked with almost all add-ons including ElvUi as well. Lately I am using the Curse Forge Standalone Alpha, which seems to be working ok and is slimmed down.

Former Ajour user and a privacy maniac here. How's this current Curse / Overwolf thing overall? Or do I just keep downloading manually when implosions happen?

One problem with it right now is it (for some reason) creates a new temporary file in your $TMPDIR and then executes that every single time you run it. This means I need to allow a new outgoing firewall connection, every single time. This isn't a huge deal, but indicates clownshoes amateur coding on their part.

Secondarily, each time it refreshes, after it finds new addons to update, addons ready to be updated have greyed-out update buttons. Then you can't click that update button for, like, 15 seconds. You just need to sit there and look at it, and wait. I assume this is to force users to watch their advertisements. It is extremely annoying.

Basically it sucks shit, but not to such an extent as to make it unusable. It's certainly much worse than the Amazon-owned version, and of course nowhere comparable to WowUp or Ajour. But they don't work anymore.

Hopefully someone forks wowup or ajour and starts scraping their website.
    Last edited by Schizoide; 2022-06-17 at 04:01 PM.

Much prefer WowUp, but had to change to CurseForge because they eliminated, or changed the API to get addons for WowUp

Same as @Linri I was using wowup after the old curse went away, I really liked wowup. Then curse remove api support and most of my wowup add-ons won't update, so I switched to curseforge or whatever it's called. It's fine but I turn it on to check for updates and then have to exit it because it runs overwolf shit in the background.

If you run the alpha version for WoW only, Overwolf doesn't run in the background. That's the one I was talking about above. They hide it pretty well, though! On the page linked below go to Windows downloads and then click the dropdown arrow to get the "Curseforge Standalone Alpha".

https://download.curseforge.com/#download-options

I've been out of the game since basically the beginning of Shadow Lands. Is the standalone curseforge app still fine to use? Wowup just doesn't really work anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by rulee View Post
    I've been out of the game since basically the beginning of Shadow Lands. Is the standalone curseforge app still fine to use? Wowup just doesn't really work anymore.
    Yup. And you no longer need the Overwolf bloatware crap.

3+ Year Old Account

Need new Addon Manager

"Yup. And you no longer need the Overwolf bloatware crap." <-- This is excellent indeed. Can use it with 110% certainty of it being easy to uninstall (some say that Curseforge / Overwolf won't allow uninstall) & doesn't put bloatware etc. to user's Rig ? I just downloaded it's Alpha client via the link provided above ^^

Checked singularity & ajour addon manager, but yeah both are 'out of the game' sort of speak & WoWUp experienced what it did. So i thought of going to Curseforge from WoWUp, but without Overwolf. Nice adventures to you & the rest in any game you adventure in o/

Kindly: Classic Azeroth fan since it's 1st year. I dislike hand helding & dumb gameplay simplifications & that includes flying & more.
    Last edited by Fedaygin; 2022-07-29 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Improved some parts to make it easier to read

WoWup is the best one but I'm forced to use the shitty Curseforge app, an absolute piece of trash software. When you first load it it sticks on "forging your library" for ages, even when it works the available addon updates are greyed out for ages for some reason. I can't even check for updates today because it's stuck on "forging your library". In comparison WoWup is fast and responsive.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    When you first load it it sticks on "forging your library" for ages, even when it works the available addon updates are greyed out for ages for some reason.
    There's a reason. They want to force you to watch their ads.

You can block the ads for now by running a pihole or adguard home on your network (whitelist mmo-champ, be a good guy), or block adservice.google.com in your HOSTS file. I'm sure they'll fix that soon enough. Blocking the ads doesn't fix the greyed out updates, but at least the ads aren't playing while you wait.

What's funny is if they didn't do the greyed-out nonsense I wouldn't have been sufficiently annoyed to figure out how to block the ads and post it here. But you know, fuck them.
    Last edited by Schizoide; 2022-07-31 at 11:36 PM.

Herald of the Titans Avatar Killer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    WoWup is pretty easy to use. I also have tried curse forge.
    Gearscore is like a bikini. It shows you what you already know and doesn't show what REALLY matters.
    New Expansion preview HERE

Considering a re-sub on a fresh machine. Used to use Ajour - doesn't seem to exist anymore - best alternative for Mac?