Thread: [Movie] Prey

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I liked the part where the Predator absolutely demolished a bear but somehow discount pocahontas was able to give the Predator a run for his money

Like most people said, good start but it feel apart, a lot of things were off and the protagonist was kinda a bitch to her brother, nowhere close to the first and second and i prefer alien vs predator.

Quote Originally Posted by Leyre View Post
    I liked the part where the Predator absolutely demolished a bear but somehow discount pocahontas was able to give the Predator a run for his money
    TBF, this is a big issue in most movies that deal with the superhuman or the supernatural, power lv is always messed up and all over the place to fit the plot, here, and other examples is more blatantly because the people involved make it more visible.

In this case a small and frail person going toe to toe with an alien who can pick up a bear, it feels way too forced

If it can demolish a bear, it could demolish Arnold and could sure as hell demolish Danny Glover. A bear is like 1300 pounds. You think 50-60 pounds of muscle is gonna make a difference?

Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    If it can demolish a bear, it could demolish Arnold and could sure as hell demolish Danny Glover. A bear is like 1300 pounds. You think 50-60 pounds of muscle is gonna make a difference?
    That'd be true only if the characters portrayed by Glover and Arnold turned off their brains and fought as a 600-800lbs bear.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    They likely come take the tech and then come back for later hunts down the line getting it back at some point without just wiping out the tribe.

- - - Updated - - -

While there may be other lore the rage war trilogy acts paints it as they make there own stuff and have been space faring since the precursor race left the galaxy. I don’t think they ever touch on enslavement but they do say that the predators were nothing to them and feared them.
    Predators also revealed that they improve their tech, tactics, etc each season.

- - - Updated - - -

That predator in Prey received a lot of damage. The scene with the mountain lion is parallel between the brother and sister: the sister wounded the lion with the lance, and the brother ended the job. The brother wounded the predator with the lance, the sister finished the kill.

I thought what was great about the main character (aside from a few scenes where you have to suspend your disbelief) is that what made her unique and interesting was that she was more of an observer and she adapted to the situations. She was quick to pick up on the 'rules' of the Predator, it's weaknesses and so on. Like the whole point of the first movie was that it doesn't matter if you're jacked Arnold Schwarzenegger with a crew of equally buff dudes, you wont out-muscle the Predator. It was only when Arnold found the cheat code with the mud that he started thinking and planning and the tactics is what saved the day. This girl was more like that from the beginning and that was kinda cool.

But also they were smart enough to set up certain things throughout the movie to where the Predator didn't even necessarily take her serious as a threat until the end which also helped her stay alive.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KainneAbsolute View Post
    Predators also revealed that they improve their tech, tactics, etc each season.
    Predators seemingly displays a group of bad blood who are rouge from the rest of predator society. So it could very well be that only bad bloods tend to upgrade tech while the rest stick to the same old stuff as there another example of bad bloods doing so when they use more advanced tech to take over abunch of xenomorpths to use as hunter dogs and are later put down by a group of normal predators.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    This is likely going to be a hit for Hulu. Every time Hulu has released any information on it, the product kills in social media reactions and demographic interest.
    And it has become so. Hulu's biggest hit ever.

https://collider.com/prey-hulu-all-t...-one-premiere/

When I saw the social media numbers and the INSANE engagement the first trailer got, I knew they were gonna have a successful picture. Happy for the filmmaker's success.

The demographics are incredible for the film. Absolutely incredible.

I can't say I'm shocked it's hulu's biggest release looking at their previous catalog of hulu originals. Hulu doesn't have a plethora of good original material at all. prey would pull in anyone that likes the franchise even if he movie sucked or was a blockbuster. A guilty pleasure of sorts. Which in turn makes me wonder how they calculate drop-off rates.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    That'd be true only if the characters portrayed by Glover and Arnold turned off their brains and fought as a 600-800lbs bear.
    I'm talking about the Predator. If the Predator can demolish a bear, what makes you think there'd be any meaningful difference between Arnold and an average human?

Hell, even in the original film Dutch took a blast from the plasma caster and only got a minor wound when it tore completely through the other commandos. And he still only won the battle because he got lucky and the Predator stepped under the big counterweight log for his trap.
    Last edited by Kathranis; 2022-08-10 at 08:01 PM.

I'm talking about the Predator. If the Predator can demolish a bear, what makes you think there'd be any meaningful difference between Arnold and an average human?
    You were under no illusion by the end of Predator that, even after being wounded by machine gun fire and hit with explosives, the predator would have killed Dutch with ease in a one on one fight, it was only that Dutch outsmarted it that he managed to walk away.

Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    You were under no illusion by the end of Predator that, even after being wounded by machine gun fire and hit with explosives, the predator would have killed Dutch with ease in a one on one fight, it was only that Dutch outsmarted it that he managed to walk away.
    Yeah, exactly. Same case here. It was ultimately about quick thinking and adaptation, not brawn. That's sort of the point.

In both cases it's not like the Predator's strength was consistent. He completely tore through all of the big burly soldiers in Dutch's platoon but when it came time to fight Dutch, it was only able to injure him superficially.

No matter how superhuman Dutch seemed by the end -- and sure maybe it was more believable because he was a body builder -- he was still not even in the same league in terms of strength.

You might as well be comparing both Dutch and Naru to a freight train.

Honestly thought this was the 2nd best one, but that's not a high bar as most pure predator movies have been bad. Hard to rate next to AvP as its a very different sort of predator movie.

Its not like she beat the predator through raw strength. Her brother did a bit of damage, and most damage she scored against it were using a pistol or using the predator's own tech against it.

Yeah, exactly. Same case here. It was ultimately about quick thinking and adaptation, not brawn. That's sort of the point.

In both cases it's not like the Predator's strength was consistent. He completely tore through all of the big burly soldiers in Dutch's platoon but when it came time to fight Dutch, it was only able to injure him superficially.

No matter how superhuman Dutch seemed by the end -- and sure maybe it was more believable because he was a body builder -- he was still not even in the same league in terms of strength.

You might as well be comparing both Dutch and Naru to a freight train.
    Pretty sure he punch naru and she take it just fine, and then she broke one of his tuks, its illogical it her frame and constitution.

Too bad movies don't bring in big and bulk woman to do those fights, while still not much believable(cause humans are weaker than the alien) at least it would not be so blatantly, like in the first two movies, i at least think it would be rad

Legendary!
    It’s almost like you ignored the fact that the Predator was wounded, rather heavily, by the time of the final battle. Also worth noting is that humans are generally smarter than bears

Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    It’s almost like you ignored the fact that the Predator was wounded, rather heavily, by the time of the final battle. Also worth noting is that humans are generally smarter than bears
    I mean I get it, but there was still sillyness, like how easily she tore off a tusk, her staggering it so easily, and the fact she was fine after the choke slam, like I was enjoying the movie but the final fight scene left a bit to be desired.
    Last edited by bledgor; 2022-08-10 at 10:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    It's a strange and illogical world where not wanting your 10 year old daughter looking at female-identifying pre-op penises at the YMCA could feasibly be considered transphobic.

Solid 8/10 movie. Maaaaaybe a 9.

I quite liked the juxtaposition of them both being the "prey" along with both of them going through their respective rite of passage.

Not sure if I watched a different movie to some people, but I thought things were quite logical. Naru grows/learns/watches as the movie goes on, putting all of it to use by the end. She's taught how to use the gun, it doesn't take much thinking to work out how to use the blade thing of the predator's that she got, and we see throughout that can fight and is a brilliant tracker.

Not to mention the predator tanked blow after blow throughout. Hell, it took a blow to the head to kick off the final fight lol

All in all, this was a very solid Predator movie. If you're thinking on it for more than about 10 seconds, you're expecting too much from the Predator franchise.

I'm happy this film got a lot of traction, because it deserves it.

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    It's not terrible. Everything beats the previous on. I don't think it's better than 1. 2 was my first one so I can't diss it. I have to rewatch Predators. It's not bad though. I'm not mad that I watched it.
    that's practically a standing ovation, for a gamer forum, these days, lol.

Legendary!
    Quote Originally Posted by bledgor View Post
    I mean I get it, but there was still sillyness, like how easily she tore off a tusk, her staggering it so easily, and the fact she was fine after the choke slam, like I was enjoying the movie but the final fight scene left a bit to be desired.
    I mean yeah it’s a bit unrealistic but as I pointed out earlier any human successfully fighting a Predator is unrealistic. Whether it’s the protagonists of the first 2 films or the ones in the other movies that I’ve not seen yeah they’re no match. But it wouldn’t be much of a movie if they lost, would it?