Thread: [Movie] Prey

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    Gotta ask, when you have some one facing threats that out classes them in pretty much every possible way how exactly are you suppose to have the main character face any challenges before the end fight if they aren't being saved by various other forces and people?
    You can make it happen maybe once, at a suspenseful moment. When every single scene ends with her getting extremely lucky at the most crucial moment milliseconds from death it got silly. But every other character around her get eviscerated for even making eye contact with Predator. When it comes to her suddenly he's getting punked at close range combat, is a terrible aim, forgets to put on his running shoes etc. Thicker plot armor than the titular character of a superhero flick.

Also the weird as hell scene where the movies been telling us the entire time Predator just wants to hunt deadly prey, then proceeds to walk right past her holding a shotgun to... kill the footless man crawling on the floor in agony. And gets immediately shot in the back of the head, like he didn't JUST see her as a threat the scene prior.
    Last edited by Al Gorefiend; 2022-08-06 at 04:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Gorefiend View Post
    You can make it happen maybe once, at a suspenseful moment. When every single scene ends with her getting extremely lucky at the most crucial moment milliseconds from death it got silly. But every other character around her get eviscerated for even making eye contact with Predator. When it comes to her suddenly he's getting punked at close range combat, is a terrible aim, forgets to put on his running shoes etc. Thicker plot armor than the titular character of a superhero flick.

Also the weird as hell scene where the movies been telling us the entire time Predator just wants to hunt deadly prey, then proceeds to walk right past her holding a shotgun to... kill the footless man crawling on the floor in agony.
    wait this is all predator and alien movies, main char survives deadly shenanigans while everyone else gets owned. Its a genre trope.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account

Also the weird as hell scene where the movies been telling us the entire time Predator just wants to hunt deadly prey, then proceeds to walk right past her holding a shotgun to... kill the footless man crawling on the floor in agony. And gets immediately shot in the back of the head, like he didn't JUST see her as a threat the scene prior.
    He really doesn't suddenly get punked at close range the whole movie is the predator taking a ton of damage from every fight with you seeing his glowing blood shed in literally every one and then her using tricks to take him down.

He also doesn’t walk by her because he doesn’t see her as a threat they established that the cooling effect of the orange flowers means people don’t show up on his heat vision, he literally didn’t see her it had nothing to do with her being a threat.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    wait this is all predator and alien movies, main char survives deadly shenanigans while everyone else gets owned. Its a genre trope.
    You mean covering yourself in mud to fool an intergalactic hunter doesn't make sense, childhood ruined.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmatrix View Post
    You mean covering yourself in mud to fool an intergalactic hunter doesn't make sense, childhood ruined.
    when he home alones the predator with a log lmao, still a good movie.

Thought it was pretty bad. Protagonist constantly saved at just the nick of time (lion, the bear, guy on horse, hatchet to predators foot, French coming in at just the right time to capture her, her goddammit dog running up to make predators shot misfire) it was an endless series of close calls. Her being a female native I kept wondering when the group of nasty dirty white men would show up, didn't actually think they'd be portrayed as caricatures of nasty dirty white men, but they made them even more disgusting than the pirates from Pirates of the Caribbean, impressive. They even drooled and snarled when they spoke.
    ....isn't that every Predator movie?

Why do you have an issue with that in this one?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    ....isn't that every Predator movie?

Why do you have an issue with that in this one?
    It was one scene after the next of deus ex machina level of luck manipulation. Arrows would whizz past her, the bear gets owned just as it's about to take the bite, her brother swoops in at just the right moment on a loud horse nobody notices. Survives just long enough to stick his ax in its foot so she escapes. Happens upon the sole surviving colonist being the exact one she had a vendetta against. Just as predator has her in its sights the dog gets admin spawned behind it just enough to distract his shot to miss by a few meters. Didn't like the movie, what more needs to be said.
    Last edited by Al Gorefiend; 2022-08-06 at 03:09 PM.

An alien warrior that’s bigger and stronger than human, armed with advanced science and weapons...how is "luck" not going to be a factor?

10+ Year Old Account
    I think I'd have been more irritated if Naru succeeded at every turn, instead of failing and getting bailed out multiple times, but I can see how that'd get to someone.
    Need Roll - 1 for [Bright Pink Imbued Mageweave Banana-Hammock] by Ayirasi

It's exactly the type of movie it is--a popcorn action movie--and an excellent example there of.

I'm not sure what some of the people in this thread expected from a Predator movie. They're neither high-brow science fiction nor a deep delve into intellectualism and the human condition. It's a fucking monster movie.

i liked it.. thought the predators face looked kinda shitty compared to the older ones though.
    I had fun once, it was terrible.

It wasn't boring.

I think maybe I've got too high opinion of predator movies from watching the first two when I was like 12 and being AMAZED by them that I can't enjoy newer ones too much. I will NEVER watch the originals again just in case

I wish he hadn't have said if it bleeds we can kill it

This was definitely a surprise, I thought this legitimately was a good movie.

These movies have always been shit shows for the most part, some of them have had entertaining parts, but none to come mind as particularly good. And let's not even talk about the AvP movies.

But this one, was well worth the watch.
    Last edited by Snowfunk; 2022-08-06 at 06:32 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    You will eventually realize nobody takes you seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i am no weeb. i am just a connoisseur of fine waifus.

ye was pretty good, just chucking predators into random time periods is the best thing they can do tbh.
    Cavemen next, I want to see Stones thrown at technologically advanced aliens winning the day!

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    Cavemen next, I want to see Stones thrown at technologically advanced aliens winning the day!
    gotta be samurais for me

this movie was also cool because it had a good dog in it

gotta be samurais for me

this movie was also cool because it had a good dog in it
    The best part of Predators was when a Yakuza dueled one to the death with a katana, so an entire movie of honorabru warriors slicing and dicing each other to pieces would be right up my alley as well.

I gotta watch this one then, considering all the positive buzz 'round it. And I'll always be a sucker for good bois.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

I think a good follow up movie is where the Predator comes out on top. In particular the one predator that tossed Danny Glover's character a flintlock.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    I think a good follow up movie is where the Predator comes out on top. In particular the one predator that tossed Danny Glover's character a flintlock.
    Would be nice to see. I could be wrong but o think that same predator is even in the rage war books and it references Glover off handily so it would be great to keep the character going in Disney canon.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

Decent movie, not the worst in the franchise.
    But dont even comes close to the 1e and 2e like some want you to beleave.

Also YES its woke, just shut your brain off and keep cheering for the predator and you will be fine till the last 20 min then you really get annoyed but heck most movies do that woke feminist crap in the whole movie and put it into your face atleast now it was most of the time in the background. And ofc the white males in this movie are retarts and do the most wierd things without any reason... But i guess that is like a thing in the US right now to bash and be racist toward white males.
    Was a decent time i had with it, will i ever watch it again? nope dont think i will and a sequel heck no when you see the last scene you know what i mean with it.
    Last edited by tromage2; 2022-08-07 at 01:58 PM.

A guilty pleasure movie for me but overall just decent. A one watch movie. A dumbed down predator to prop up the heroine who just can't pull off the role nor has any plausibility unlike the characters in Aliens or Terminator. Add in a bit of poor writing with far to much writing for "convenience" for Naru and it all goes down hill. Magic plants, predator that doesn't understand his own gear. Poor fight scenes where the predator kills some really badly written French with little problem but then forgets how to fight as he throws around the heroine. Simply not killing her like the did the others. I guess the movie makers just hate the French.

In the end it just wasn't all that good. Better then the last one though I'll give it that much.